• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple mouse Starter selection

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2015
    Hi hmm
    i don't like the starter selection of pokemon essentials .
    I created a simple starter selection for Pokemon essentials ds
    Or essentils with this mouse script : http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=319562

The script for pokemon essentials ds:
    Spoiler:

the script for pokemon essentials with the mouse script:
    Spoiler:

you will also need this pack:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/hytjocs4v0u4973/Starter.rar
    yust paste the stuff in the folder into your game =)

Picture:

Spoiler:

ok if you want to open the script ,make a new event ,insert a script( on the last page ) and write this : pbCallStarterSelect
    Spoiler:

don't forget to credit me

Special thank to venom 12 for the idea to use Variables,that it is much simpler

Last edited:

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    You could make something like that to be simpler to noob users.

before pbStartScene

add four lines

Code:
    STARTER_1=1#first id of starter
    STARTER_2=4#second
    STARTER_3=7#third
    LEVEL=5#level ofstarters
    STARTER_1_GRAPHIC="001"
    STARTER_2_GRAPHIC="004"
    STARTER_3_GRAPHIC="007"

The graphics.
    Code:
    pbSprite("choose1",STARTER_1_GRAPHIC,40,532,155)
    pbSprite("choose2",STARTER_2_GRAPHIC,200,532,155)
    pbSprite("choose3",STARTER_3_GRAPHIC,320,532,155)

Then replace mouse with taht and you wouldnt need to edit bunch of lines
    Code:
    if $mouse.pbMouseLeftClick?(@sprites["choose1"])
    pbAddPokemon(STARTER_1,LEVEL)
    $game_variables[7]=0
    break
    end
    if $mouse.pbMouseLeftClick?(@sprites["choose2"])
    pbAddPokemon(STARTER_2,LEVEL)
    $game_variables[7]=1
    break
    end
    if $mouse.pbMouseLeftClick?(@sprites["choose3"])
    pbAddPokemon(STARTER_3,LEVEL)
    $game_variables[7]=3
    break
    end

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    I too prefer to use variables, I hate specifics, making things more noob friendly is the best option... Can I have some pictures in the OP so I can see how it looks.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • I'd just like to make an extra statement that this Pokemon Selection script will only work with Essentials DS and not just my original script. This is not because of the difference in screen resolutions from original Essentials, but because the defs in my Mouse class have been renamed in Essentials DS.

Just for those who were wondering to adapt it to a single screen layout.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2017
    If you can get this working with regular Essentials and someone else confirms this, you will be a saint.

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2015
    If you can get this working with regular Essentials and someone else confirms this, you will be a saint.

now it should work ,
    but you should change the background
    or go to line 23 and replace the secund 0 with -400

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2017
    I get this error:

Spoiler:

What I do see is that the background and all three starter images load, but after they load, the game breaks.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2017
    Yes, I did. when i followed the instructions in the mouse script, I saved it and loaded the game and it worked. Let me fiddle with it.

Edit: It turns out I installed the mouse script wrong. It works, thanks! I will definitely have to use this. Question, is there a way to use this twice for multiple different selections? Say, one with Kanto starters and another with Johto starters?

Last edited:

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • Yes, I did. when i followed the instructions in the mouse script, I saved it and loaded the game and it worked. Let me fiddle with it.

You haven't followed the instructions correctly if you're getting that error. The error is saying that your $mouse variable doesn't exist, meaning you haven't declared it as instructed in my thread :) You need to have $mouse = Game_Mouse.new initialized before the game starts.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2017
    Yeah, I fixed that, as stated in the Edit. I looked back after I posted it and saw that part. I thought that was for writing a script, as opposed to basic installation. Anyway, my question still remains unanswered. Is there a way to use this twice for multiple different selections? Say, one with Kanto starters and another with Johto starters?

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • Yeah, I fixed that, as stated in the Edit. I looked back after I posted it and saw that part. I thought that was for writing a script, as opposed to basic installation. Anyway, my question still remains unanswered. Is there a way to use this twice for multiple different selections? Say, one with Kanto starters and another with Johto starters?

Yeah of course. Just change the image files, and the number of species you get from the selection. He made it super easy for you.
    Code:
    STARTER_2=4#second
    STARTER_3=7#third
    LEVEL=5#level ofstarters
    STARTER_1_GRAPHIC="001"
    STARTER_2_GRAPHIC="004"
    STARTER_3_GRAPHIC="007"

EDIT: I should also state (which should go without saying), that you can make two instances of this script, with different names.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2017
    Yeah of course. Just change the image files, and the number of species you get from the selection. He made it super easy for you.
    Code:
    STARTER_2=4#second
    STARTER_3=7#third
    LEVEL=5#level ofstarters
    STARTER_1_GRAPHIC="001"
    STARTER_2_GRAPHIC="004"
    STARTER_3_GRAPHIC="007"

EDIT: I should also state (which should go without saying), that you can make two instances of this script, with different names.

Yeah, it was having a second set that I was asking. That part was extremely obvious. But, making a second instance never even occurred to me.

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2015
    ok
    do you want use it two times with other pokemon or do you want more than two times with other pokemon ?

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2017
    I was hoping for more than two, but I'd settle with two.

Also, how do I make it so:
    A) It plays the Pokemon's cry when I mouse over the Pokemon.
    B) Displays the message "Would you like to obtain <Insert Pokemon here>?" before it automatically gives me the pokemon?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2015
    ok i will make it for you i think it is very simplei will make it for more than 3 ( using a variable)

the other stuff too

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2015
    Cool, thanks! I will definitely credit you.
    ok it is finish =)
    i hope you like it
    first i wanted to use an variable but i get allway an undefinded method error bu the code was not wrong but never mind
    hear is the script for the first selection:
    Spoiler:

and this is the secund (open it with pbCallStarterSelect2)

Spoiler:

Back