• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2024
    Would Skarmory/Forretress be a good bullet punch Scizor counter?

Forry no, but skarm can PHaze it and wear it down with Brave Bird if it lacks Roost. Just bear in mind a +2 LO Super Power does ~60/70% to skarmory, so just make sure you keep yourself at full health if it has that.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Can a Metagross and Ditto breed?

If I get one more Modest Beldum going into Steven's house I'm going to blow up lol

EDIT: Thanks to Archer (and Vance who told my hard-headed self the entire time)...already got a pretty good one:

Adamant #374 Beldum: 20 - 24 HP / 26 Atk / 30 Def / 15 SAtk (lol) / 30 - 31 SDef / 31 Spd

Last edited:
    Years
    umm Can any one give me a good move set for torterra im traing a turtwig form level 1 and i wanna know what moves to teach it

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I've just traded over a level 100 Blastoise that I had in Sapphire, and its IVs are:
    HP - 31
    ATK - 26
    DEF - 31
    SATK - 20
    SDEF - 24
    SPD - 0

It is also cured of PokeRus, which I didn't know. What would be a good moveset for it [if good]?
    He is Adamant, has Effort Ribbon:
    HP - 309
    Attack - 216
    Defense - 239
    Sp. Atk - 175
    Sp. Def - 239
    Speed - 240
    Not sure of EVs though.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    How can you know its IVs if you don't know its EVs? Those are vital to determining IVs. :[

Years
    Can a Metagross and Ditto breed?

If I get one more Modest Beldum going into Steven's house I'm going to blow up lol
    Yes, it's part of the Mineral Egg Group, all of which can only breed with Ditto. Happy?
    umm Can any one give me a good move set for torterra im traing a turtwig form level 1 and i wanna know what moves to teach it
    In-Game, I went with Wood-Hammer, Earthquake, Stone Edge/Rock Tomb and Synthesis.

Symphony, if you really want to use a pokemon in competitive battling, you would need to breed them for the correct nature and IVs. EVs add to the stats, so without knowing what they are, you can't know how much is added onto the bare stat, meaning the IVs are impssible to find. Mathematic logic says that you can't find two unkown values without being able to find one of them with what's provided. As you can't find either the IVs or EVs with what you have, you can't calculate either.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Why wouldn't I be happy ._.

But uh yeah, essentially a follow-up here. I'm a damn good breeder (kekekekeke) so I've been spending today breeding stuff for the frontier in Emerald. Knowing what it's for, I've been breeding Beldums to make me a CBgross:

(Wow perfect chance for a Metang @ reference but I'll pass it up for now)

Metagross @ Choice Band
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: Not yet determined, possibly affected by IVs
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Meteor Mash
    - Earthquake
    - Explosion
    - Rock Slide / Shadow Ball (whatever, it's filler lol)

The EVs will probably be max attack and a lot of HP, probably some speed to beat Milotic so I can Boom it if necessary. It'll be fairly standard, lol.

Given this, I have bred two Adamant Beldums which are fairly similar in IV distribution. Here they are:

Adamant #374 Beldum: 20 - 24 / 26 / 30 / 15 / 30 - 31 / 31

Adamant #374 Beldum: 27 / 24 - 25 / 20 - 21 / 23 - 29 / 30 - 31 / 31

The SDef and Speed are the same (and one IV point difference in SDef is not important lol), and SAtk is irrelevant. The real difference is that they trade HP for Defense, but the first also has slightly higher attack. Another thing is that I want to use the one I don't use for CBgross as a parent, and since Metagross can make some use of Thunderpunch or whatever its special options are (remember this is Advance), the second one would be a better parent...so I'm largely torn. I'm leaning towards number one just so I can have a good parent in number two, and I don't like the second one's kind of meh Defense.

Any thoughts before I EV train?

EDIT: Just from shoddying this up, it seems like number one would likely have HP Bug (high-powered, like 69ish) or HP Ice (rofl)...if that influences you at all though I doubt I'd use either.

For number one I'd use 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Def which nets 348 HP (given the min. IV), 400 Atk (600 with the CB), and 301 Def.

Last edited:

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    You know what, Anti? You can burn in hell. It takes me two glorious months to breed a Metagross with 27 base attack...using a Ditto with Max attack IVs. I do indeed hate you.

Now, what is the best Flysong set, made for Platinum? I know it includes Outrage.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Flygon @ Choice Band
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SAtk
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Punch
    - U-Turn

Max™

Needs to scarfduggy
    Years
    How do you people even determind IVs, Im exclusively shoddy right now but Im starting to breed so its essential i Learn >_>

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Great. Is there a new Flygon semi defensive Roost set, tailored to Platinum?

Well Outrage is largely inferior to Dragon Claw without a Choice Band given its inability to hurt things while locking itself in to get killed by Gengar, Heatran, or something to that effect. From what I know the set is Toxic/Roost/Fire Blast/EQ @ Leftovers.

To determine IVs you need an IV calculator. A good one is this: https://www.metalkid.info/pokemon/OnlineProgram/Calculators/IV.aspx

Don't level up randomly to find out IVs since you could mess up its EVs though. In other words, don't do anything that defies common sense and you should be okay.

sims796

Years
    Well Outrage is largely inferior to Dragon Claw without a Choice Band given its inability to hurt things while locking itself in to get killed by Gengar, Heatran, or something to that effect. From what I know the set is Toxic/Roost/Fire Blast/EQ @ Leftovers.

To determine IVs you need an IV calculator. A good one is this: https://www.metalkid.info/pokemon/OnlineProgram/Calculators/IV.aspx

Don't level up randomly to find out IVs since you could mess up its EVs though. In other words, don't do anything that defies common sense and you should be okay.
    You helped me out, but all you did is make moar questions for him. If he doesn't know how to determine IVs, how would he know what is common sense?

Look on the Compiled Guides: 4th Generation on the stickies thread for all your IV needs.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    By common sense I meant stuff like randomly leveling up without thinking about EVs and whatnot =p

But yeah there are plenty of guides here and elsehwere that explain everything pretty well.

sims796

Years
    Fair enough.

Now, last question of the night, because I plan to redo my entire team, with not so many poke changes as their are major set changes.

What are the prime walls (or 'blockers' since the definition of the word wall is pretty loose) should I look out for, both special & physical?

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    The most common walls/tanks I see around these days are(obviously) Blissey, WishVappy, Gliscor is getting some usage raising, Zong is still a common lead/tank, Hippowdon usage is up, and Tentacruel can be found every now and then scattering T-Spikes or spinning off Rocks. I think the main ones that need to be looked out for though are Skarmory, Hippowdon, and Blissey, since they are the most common.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    although that's true, curselax and cresselia are not seen around that often these days. ANY pokemon can take you down if you're not prepared (flail magikarp 6-0 anyone?)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back