• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2012
Okay - My first REAL thread based on what Im looking into.

The type of Play I think I would be most benefiting - is Eithier Offensive, or Stalling. But I have a question about stalling. :D

How many differnt hazards can be taken place on ONE single pokemon.

like..Can I confuse/Curse/Sandstorm/sandtomb/spike - and paralyze? :D all on one pokemon?

I don't play on WiFi, but I'm pretty sure that people who use hacks don't harm YOUR game. Some people use *legal* hacks, which some people approve of while others don't. But yeah, hacks aren't something to really be worried about...at least I don't think so.

Vrai covered most of the important things but I want to add on some stuff. First of all, EV training (and also IV breeding/resetting) take awhile. You can test teams on our Pokemon Online Server (there's info on that in the announcement at the top of the CBC forum page) so that you know the team is good before setting out to make it. I definitely recommend that option.

Also, in terms of the whole standards versus favorites issue, that comes up from time to time. My view on it is that when you're new, you're best off using standards just so that you get used to how competitive works...it really is way different than in-game. Once you get the hang of it, you can be more adventurous with what Pokemon and movesets you use, at least to some degree.

Also, if your favorite Pokemon are bad in standard play, you can always try out the UU tier or even lower ones like NU and whatever that fake one they made up under UU but above NU is. The lower tiers at least give some of the less fortunate Pokemon (see: Dustox) a chance to compete. So there's always that.

Buuuut more than anything, it just takes practice. It's really not as hard as it seems at first. I definitely remember being in your position.

oh and

and ty vm Anti :) that link helped a lot :D

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
In regards to terminology... this link is also very very very useful and created by our very own Opposite Day. ;D

And like Anti said, standards are very good to learn with. You'll probably be using a lot of standards with your future teams as well - but with your own spices and changes. I know it seems wrong to use things that other people use a lot, but remember that standards are generally the best sets that each one can run, and if you try to use different things you run the risk of making it less effective! That's why you should practice with standards first; once you get the hang of how to battle with them, you can start experimenting and seeing what works and what doesn't. Remember that standards =/= seeing the same Pokemon over and over; everyone has 649 choices (well less because no one's going to use Caterpie etc) and other people can be innovative, too.

Coming up with new and effective sets is probably my favorite part of battling. You can use Pokemon as lures: draw in what counters its normal sets and do something to beat the standard set's counters. For example, standard Gliscor runs a very defensive set. It has little attack investment and usually runs Earthquake and Ice Fang as attacking moves, with Toxic Orb as its item and Poison Heal as the ability. It's very good, but it has a lot of trouble with Rotom-W (who picked up Water-typing from Gen V), who is very bulky, is immune to EQ, resists Ice Fang, and threatens huge damage with Hydro Pump. There is a Gliscor 'lure' set out there that's there to lure out and KO Rotom-W! It runs max offenses and Substitute + Sand Veil to try to force Hydro Pump to miss while it sets up Swords Dances, then it can OHKO with a Flying Gem-boosted Acrobatics. It's an example of how people can be creative even when standard sets are expected.

Okay - My first REAL thread based on what Im looking into.

The type of Play I think I would be most benefiting - is Eithier Offensive, or Stalling. But I have a question about stalling. :D

How many differnt hazards can be taken place on ONE single pokemon.

like..Can I confuse/Curse/Sandstorm/sandtomb/spike - and paralyze? :D all on one pokemon?

and ty vm Anti :) that link helped a lot :D

You can't try to spread a Pokemon too thin. Sand Tomb is generally considered a 'meh' move; it's pitifully weak and the trapping effects aren't really very big. Sandstorm is auto-initiated with Tyranitar or Hippowdon. Curse is also a niche move, mostly; it's used to catch things off-guard or on a Pokemon like Quagsire who can boost up Curses while the opponent's boosts are ignored thanks to its ability, Unaware. Spikes are limited to a few users because it's a fairly exclusive move. Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Forretress are generally considered to be the best Spikers and they all have other niches too (Skarmory pseudo-hazes with Whirlwind, Ferrothorn spams Leech Seed, and Forretress has the option of setting up SR, T-Spikes, and has the capability to Rapid Spin too). Confusion isn't used a lot competitively because it's easy to switch out and get rid of it and it's luck-reliant; if at all possible, it's best to ensure that you'll get damage on them rather than spamming Confuse Ray and hoping that they hit themselves in Confusion. The biggest role Confusion plays is in the aftermath of Outrage. Paralysis is also a niche thing but it's very nice to slow down the opponent's team. The most common abusers of Paralysis are probably Thundurus (it's got priority Thunder Wave which is nice if something gets really too fast and hard to control), Ferrothorn (who can fit Thunder Wave into a moveslot if you want it), and Jirachi (who actually spams Body Slam to paralyze even Ground-types).

Basically, not only is it impossible for you to get all of that on one Pokemon, but even if it was I don't think it'd be very effective because you pass up on other things that you need to include on a Pokemon, like recovery with Roost or Pain Split etc.

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
can anyonehelpme team build please new to vs

well we cant really build you a full team. however we can rate your current team it to make a RMT ( rate my team) thread. we can give you suggestions on move sets, EV's, items, natures and stuff like that.

there are many types of teams out there so you just have to find what style works for you. you can find ideas by checking out some of the RMT threads already posted in this forum.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022

well we cant really build you a full team. however we can rate your current team it to make a RMT ( rate my team) thread. we can give you suggestions on move sets, EV's, items, natures and stuff like that.

there are many types of teams out there so you just have to find what style works for you. you can find ideas by checking out some of the RMT threads already posted in this forum.

Yup! Just what dreyko said.

If you post a team with members that you want to use, we can certainly rate it, but beyond that no one here is really going to go out of their way to make a team specifically for you, sadly. ;;

Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2012
Alright, Im getting myself well known here for being useless - but another question.

If you have read earlier, I need to restart my game. And thus it has begun. My issue is, OF COURSE, i get a Tepig to start with, and OF COURSE, its Nature is in the Speed stat, AND so is it's CHaracteristics. Now - just to make a challenge, and to get through the Elite four, I plan on Solo challenging the Black/white with just Tepig. Now - to Do this, I want to raise Tepig Attack Stat...and to do that specifically, I kill a buncha Patrat/Lillipups - right?

now after killing, say 30 lillipups...How many attack points should that have given me? and do i need to level up first, to obtain those points - like as if im charging a battery, and onc ei level up its liek i plugged it in? (if that makes sense, in other words, i dont get the points till i level up)

or do they appear as I go along? wether I level or not? - i am not trying to create a Perfect pokemon, im just tryin to Practice EV training, at the begining of the game, to see if i can really see any results...im lvl 12 now, and done nothi but kill in route 1 on those danged rats and pups, and havent understood seeing results.

nevermind! I figured it all mostly out. :D

Last edited:

G-Virus

The B.O.W. King
Years
Just need a thought on my Genesect's EV spread and movepool.

Genesect @Douse Drive
Nature: Modest
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 Sp Atk, 252 speed, 4 def
Moves: Techno Blast, Bug Buzz, Flash Cannon, Ice Beam.

I'm using douse drive to make TB's type water. With that I can hit any fire types that try to take him down. Bug buzz and flash cannon is for STAB, and Ice Beam is for hitting dragon types either on a switch or if I predict a fire move and TB won't do much.

That's my opinion, but could anyone give me any suggestions to make this better?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Just need a thought on my Genesect's EV spread and movepool.

Genesect @Douse Drive
Nature: Modest
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 Sp Atk, 252 speed, 4 def
Moves: Techno Blast, Bug Buzz, Flash Cannon, Ice Beam.

I'm using douse drive to make TB's type water. With that I can hit any fire types that try to take him down. Bug buzz and flash cannon is for STAB, and Ice Beam is for hitting dragon types either on a switch or if I predict a fire move and TB won't do much.

That's my opinion, but could anyone give me any suggestions to make this better?

Genesect will usually be shunned on Wifi for being an un-released hacked event. >: But it's your call;

Genesect @Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
-Bug Buzz
-Flamethrower
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt/U-Turn

Bug Buzz is Genesect's main STAB and will cause a ton of damage coming of a base 120 SpA. Flamethrower hits Ice, Bugs and Steel types whilst Ice Beam destroys Flying, Ground and Dragon types. Thunderbolt hits Water types. U-Turn however can be used over Thunderbolt for a scouting move. Despite it's attack being lowered by it's nature, U-Turn will hit surprisingly hard. Since it's a choice set U-Turn is a good move to have since it can keep the momentum going, especially if you're using a heavily offensive team.

Enjoy. <:

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
for dragonite a rain abuser set can be very effective for combating rain teams.

heres the set:

dragonite @ leftovers
inner focus/ multi scale
timid
4 HP 252 Sp. attack 252 speed

hurricane
surf
draco meteor
roost

for this set marvel scale is highly preferred but if you dont have it its ok.
hurricane gets STAB and 100% accuracy in the rain. surf gets its power boosted thanks to rain and draco meteor is another strong STAB move. roost is for recovery when needed and also to bring multi scale into effect if you choose that ability.

the EV spread is pretty general and timid nature to help dragonites speed stat. roost in conjunction with leftoves help nite recover lost HP.

hope this helps =)

Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2012
Awesome question -

in a Infrared battle with a friend, will EV trained pokemon stats still be higherthan non trained, even though they take the pokemon and force it to be level 50 no matter what? (IE, will a lvl 100 pokemon, have lvl 50 stats + ev total? or shrunk? idk how it works.)

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
You won't receive the full potential of the EVs you trained, but you will experience a great stat than if you hadn't trained. I'm sure it's worth it, although it's smaller than the boost for level 100 pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2012
appreciate the usual fast response - I like to do infrared battles, because anyone can join with any pokemon at any level, and be equal to a point. THanks for your help!

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
Hey, I'm in need of help on my EV spread on my Kyogre :)

It took me 3 days of soft resetting to get this one so i definatly wasnt gonna try for a flawless one.

Kyogre
Move 1: Calm Mind
Move 2: Thunder
Move 3: Ice Beam
Move 4: Surf/ Scald/ Water Spout
IVs: 11/8/18/30/22/30

4 HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Sp.Def

or

252 HP, 252 Sp.Atk, 4 Spd​

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
if its juts the Ev spread you need help with then a good spread for what your trying got do is: 4 HP 252 Sp.attack 252 Speed

since kyogre already has a massive base 140 sp. def and you will boost up with calm mind even more you might want to focus on its speed and sp. attack. a good item would be leftovers to regain some health. =)

my suggestion for the final move slot would either be surf or scald depending on what you need accomplished. surf hits very hard in the rain. scald does too with the added effect of a possible burn so its just preference there.

anyways i hope this helps!!! 8D

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
Alright I have 1 last question :)

How on earth do I use Shuckle? I know it has CRAZY high defences and CRAZY low speed but what use I'd that apart from a spin blocker

I am creating a Trick Room team so naturally Shuckle stands out but I can't really think of how to utilise it's skills :(

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Alright I have 1 last question :)

How on earth do I use Shuckle? I know it has CRAZY high defences and CRAZY low speed but what use I'd that apart from a spin blocker

I am creating a Trick Room team so naturally Shuckle stands out but I can't really think of how to utilise it's skills :(

Shuckle isnt really usable in OU, it has too many weaknesses, is weak to Steath Rock and its primary role is a wall and now Rest has been nerfed its even harder to use.

Shuckle @ Leftovers
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest
- Knock Off / Stealth Rock / Wrap / Protect

Use in the Sand with Heal Bell/Aroma support to rid yourself of Rest. Preferably Rapid Spin too.

Toxic stuff, Encore set up moves and Knock Off items or attempt to "stall" or support the team with utility options.

If you want a good rock type for trick room, Shuckle is not the Pokemon for you. Rhyperior and basically every other slow rock type outclass it at that role.

flamehaze94

Jeste!
Years
Shuckle needs a lot of support to work and even then, it's damage output is disappointing since Trick Room doesn't last forever. The best way to utilize Shuckle imo is not to use it, since more often than not, you'll wish you had something else like Machamp or Reuniclus in Trick Room.

Also, about those Kyogre EVs. If you want to use Calm Mind, then you'll want to use 252HP / 252SpA / 4Spe EVs. Why? The HP EVs help you set up in front of Palkia and Dialga, two common checks to Kyogre. Since most Ubers are stuck with 90 base speed, most don't max it out unless they are Scarfed/Speced and/or Reshiram. The extra bulk is also useful when taking on non-LO Ho-oh and Reshiram Blue Flares. You actually may want to speed creep a little since your speed IVs are pretty good. Modest is the ideal nature; if it's anything else like Timid or Bold then you may want to try a different Kyogre set. Surf is also the best move in the last slot. Water Spout is much too risky on a bulky set up sweeper CM Kyogre and Scald is decidedly pretty weak.

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
Shuckle needs a lot of support to work and even then, it's damage output is disappointing since Trick Room doesn't last forever. The best way to utilize Shuckle imo is not to use it, since more often than not, you'll wish you had something else like Machamp or Reuniclus in Trick Room.

Also, about those Kyogre EVs. If you want to use Calm Mind, then you'll want to use 252HP / 252SpA / 4Spe EVs. Why? The HP EVs help you set up in front of Palkia and Dialga, two common checks to Kyogre. Since most Ubers are stuck with 90 base speed, most don't max it out unless they are Scarfed/Speced and/or Reshiram. The extra bulk is also useful when taking on non-LO Ho-oh and Reshiram Blue Flares. You actually may want to speed creep a little since your speed IVs are pretty good. Modest is the ideal nature; if it's anything else like Timid or Bold then you may want to try a different Kyogre set. Surf is also the best move in the last slot. Water Spout is much too risky on a bulky set up sweeper CM Kyogre and Scald is decidedly pretty weak.

Thanks i see your point about Shuckle i will probably go for a Gigalith or Lickilicky instead :)

and you make a good point about Kyogre plus i already gave it 10 HPUPs and 10 Calcium :)

RAcastBlaster

Steel-body Trainer
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 20, 2013
It's been quite awhile since I've posted here, so I forget where the appropriate place to ask this is (though I expect this is the place). I'm in need of some IV-checking matches. And don't suggest the battle subway, I have wayyyy too many solosis for that to be worth the time and effort. Besides, Species Clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back