• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Mufasa7

Velohsytea
Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    what would be a stronger set up (stronger as in more stats)

i have a modest charmander with an IV in att at 31 and IV in SpA at 7
    should i EV train him in Att or SpA? should i go with what nature is better or with what IV is better?

Years
  • what would be a stronger set up (stronger as in more stats)

i have a modest charmander with an IV in att at 31 and IV in SpA at 7
    should i EV train him in Att or SpA? should i go with what nature is better or with what IV is better?

Go for Special Attack, it's Special Attack stat is higher than its attack stat and the Modest nature makes up for the bad IVs.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • Just dropping in to give a set for Myzou's Froslass, since no one else really has. As others have said, Froslass's best niche is on Hail Teams, laying spikes and abusing Snow Cloak, so you should always pair it with Abomasnow or Eviolite Snover.

Froslass @ Leftovers
    248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
    Timid Nature
    -Substitute
    -Spikes
    -Thunder Wave/Confuse Ray
    -Blizzard/Ice Beam

Basically, once you get a Sub up, you hit them with your status move, so that, combined with Snowcloak, they have a very low chance to actually hit you and break through your sub. In the meantime, lay down your Spikes.

I appreciate the opinion, but apparently "Gimmick Set" means something completely different to you guys than me. I am well aware of what people usually use froslass for. I've even used her as a special sweeper before. I was asking for opinions on how to better the specific gimmick that I had decided on. I even stated it was a gimmick set, yet the first comment was that it was too gimmicky.

I don't see why I ever ask for help on these forums. Anytime I do, I get told "DON'T BE ORIGINAL! USE THIS COOKIE CUTTER SET!" and that's the end of it. -.- Looking through the thread, that's ALL that's ever said. So, I think this will be my last post asking for moveset opinions and help. I don't want to be a cookie cutter team, which is all that gets promoted here. I want originality, and yes, that does mean using a gimmick at times. AT the same time, I also like opinions on how to better said original ideas, because even if I think something is amazing, someone else might find something I can swap to make it better - but still be in the same spirit. Not telling me to turn a gimmicky set upper into a sub spiker.

I have used it on PokemonOnline, and honestly, it is actually quite viable, as no one expects it. Due to the fact everyone, (obviously you guys) think ALL froslass can do is sub spike, they expect Swagger is the uniqueness of the set instead of thunderwave, etc, and try to set up on her, when then naturally helps me, as I just psych up those stat changes.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    There is a difference between using/suggesting an original set that works and one that doesn't work. Its not a matter of being original. I am original and use strange sets (for example i used Curse Spiritomb in gen 4 to mess up baton pass and to stop last poke sweeps on my stall team and hell i made THIS set from scratch and i suggested it on smogon and its there now because it worked), but that doesn't consist of using something totally outclassed and easy to stop/set up on that has little utility.

This section is for competitive mons (i.e using/suggesting things to WIN at all costs which means using/suggesting Pokemon to the best of their ability to fit team needs) and frankly getting decimated 50% of the time by confusion not working for you and getting walled horrifically by well anything (if you want me to elaborate again in more detail on this i will) else the other 50% because your attacks are weak as heck and have poor coverage, in addition to being outclassed seems silly. If you want a gimmick just go ahead and use it because we will suggest things that work and are proven to and arent outclassed by other mons, so i mean i dont get how you can improve on it tbh as its your gimmick and if we suggest a way to improve it we get, well, what you just posted in reply lol. Its like using Blissey as a physical sweeper then complaining when people suggest you using it as a special wall lol.

Last edited:

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • Thing is, I have tested it, it DOES work. The focus sash is there for a reason. You switch Froslass in when another one of your pokemon dies, on something that fears a quick ice beam.

You swagger, then psych up. If confusion DOESN'T work, the focus sash still prevents you from dying, allowing you to at least get hit.

Again, I asked for advice on how to better the gimmick (if there were other moves instead of what I had listed that might work better, better ideas for EV spread, etc), but instead got told that my gimmick was TOO GIMMICKY and to go back to the cookie cutter.

EDIT: I also feel the need to add that the first few people to suggest a spiking set for a froslass was told it would never work, due to the weakness to stealth rock. New strategies are obtained when people actually make effort to try them.

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I appreciate the opinion, but apparently "Gimmick Set" means something completely different to you guys than me. I am well aware of what people usually use froslass for. I've even used her as a special sweeper before. I was asking for opinions on how to better the specific gimmick that I had decided on. I even stated it was a gimmick set, yet the first comment was that it was too gimmicky.

I don't see why I ever ask for help on these forums. Anytime I do, I get told "DON'T BE ORIGINAL! USE THIS COOKIE CUTTER SET!" and that's the end of it. -.-

Well, I want to stray away from the 'effectiveness' argument and talk about gimmicks in general. Do you know what the exact definition of gimmicks are and how they're used on effective teams? ...well, there's not really an exact definition, but you definitely have this part down: gimmicks are sets that are a far stretch from the standard. They're flat-out different, and you're right - your set is definitely gimmick-y. It's different. Is it effective? That's really the question.

When you use a gimmick set, you have to think about effectiveness. There are incredibly effective gimmick sets, and there are some subpar ones. The good gimmick sets take into account what the 'mon usually runs (and usually what Pokemon switch into it) and then use a gimmick to break that Pokemon's usual check or counter. Basically, a gimmick is used to lure the opponent into thinking that a set is standard, and then capitalizing on the free turns to gain an advantage.

Now, the biggest issue your set has is the 'capitalization' part. This is what we're (well, I guess maybe only me) are talking about. Your set, while definitely different, seems to be ineffective in capitalizing on the switches and things that Froslass does to the opponent - and I believe the biggest issue here is the crux of the set, Swagger + Psych Up. My main issue is that Swagger + Psych Up relies on the opponent doing one thing - staying in, so you can Psych Up. Really, what happens if they read your set and just switch out to a physical attacker? We can use prediction as an argument all day but I guess what I'm saying (and this idea is really shared across the board with highly ranked battlers) is that Swagger is inconsistent, and Psych Up is unreliable especially if they just switch out. Another fact is that without this two-turn setup (and remember that your opponent could very well attack you with an improved attack power too!) Froslass's moves have very low base power and don't get -spectacular- coverage that you want from a two-move set.

The general gist is that Froslass using those moves make it very... unreliable, I guess. It definitely could have been effective for you, don't get me wrong, but without understanding how it beats regular checks and counters (idk what those are but things like Chansey still have a shot at walling it when it's got a couple boosts too).

I hope you understand what I'm saying, but by posting a gimmick set it's generally expected to get criticism especially when you don't have an incredible gimmick that helps it beat its standard counters. More often than not, you'll get a "oh use the standard that's better" response, but sometimes you'll strike gold and stumble upon an amazing set. I hope that it doesn't discourage you from posting sets in the future, though!

also as a side note it's really hard for me to make any adjustments to your set, just because it's totally different from the standard and removing any moves or changing them completely changes the set. :c

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Was going to say what vrai said, plus if then omnipresent Stealth Rock/Spikes or Sandstorm is up you cant even use the "well sash saves me" argument.

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
    Years
  • Hey i have a question. If doing a double battle with a pokemon with the ability Plus and a pokemon with the ability Minus on the same team, will they get the Sp.Atk boost?

Plus: When battling with Plus or Minus, Special Attack becomes 1.5 times greater.

Minus: When battling with Plus or Minus, Special Attack becomes 1.5 times greater.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Hey i have a question. If doing a double battle with a pokemon with the ability Plus and a pokemon with the ability Minus on the same team, will they get the Sp.Atk boost?

Plus: When battling with Plus or Minus, Special Attack becomes 1.5 times greater.

Minus: When battling with Plus or Minus, Special Attack becomes 1.5 times greater.

Uhh yes. That's the idea of the ability. :(

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • I appreciate the opinion, but apparently "Gimmick Set" means something completely different to you guys than me. I am well aware of what people usually use froslass for. I've even used her as a special sweeper before. I was asking for opinions on how to better the specific gimmick that I had decided on. I even stated it was a gimmick set, yet the first comment was that it was too gimmicky.

I don't see why I ever ask for help on these forums. Anytime I do, I get told "DON'T BE ORIGINAL! USE THIS COOKIE CUTTER SET!" and that's the end of it. -.- Looking through the thread, that's ALL that's ever said. So, I think this will be my last post asking for moveset opinions and help. I don't want to be a cookie cutter team, which is all that gets promoted here. I want originality, and yes, that does mean using a gimmick at times. AT the same time, I also like opinions on how to better said original ideas, because even if I think something is amazing, someone else might find something I can swap to make it better - but still be in the same spirit. Not telling me to turn a gimmicky set upper into a sub spiker.

I have used it on PokemonOnline, and honestly, it is actually quite viable, as no one expects it. Due to the fact everyone, (obviously you guys) think ALL froslass can do is sub spike, they expect Swagger is the uniqueness of the set instead of thunderwave, etc, and try to set up on her, when then naturally helps me, as I just psych up those stat changes.

I know people have responded to this, but I have a different point to make.

If you want to use gimmicks and stray away from "cookie cutter" sets, that's fine. That being said, it really isn't okay to go after Karp or anyone else for trying to help. Saying things like "I don't see why I ever ask for help on these forums" is honestly bordering on being rude. You're free to ignore or disregard what people suggest, but no one is going to want to help you if all of your posts have a "these people are useless and can't think" type of undertone. ;(

Arrmegedden

dang roosters
    Years
    • Age 28
    • lol
    • Seen Sep 18, 2011
    Whats a better 5th gen ursaring build?

I'm gonna get an ursaring to use in wifi and the battle subway. I currently use Scizor and Conkeldurr in the subway, but Conkeldurr is slow and only really has Hammer Arm which makes him slower. Im gonna replace Conkel with an ursaring. WHich is a better build for Ursaring?

Moves-
    Facade
    Swords dance
    substitute
    hammer arm/close combat
    Ability-guts
    Held item-toxic orb
    Nature-Jolly
    And EV trained to have increased speed. (I dont know anything about EV training so...)

Or
    Facade
    swords dance
    close combat/hammer arm
    ????
    Ability- Quick feet
    Item-toxic orb
    Nature- Adamant
    EVs- Attack

Guts ursaring hits insanely hard with guts attack boost stacked with STAB Facade. But should I sacrifice some attack for speed with quick feet ursaring?

I know guts ursaring will wreck anything, but speed would help too. Or could I get speed using EVs.

If I wanted to do a speed sweeper, I could catch a swellow with a similar build. But Im unsure what I should do. What do you guys think :D?

bump :o If this is the wrong section, im sorry.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Actually, Conkeldurr is much better than Ursaring if you give it the following set

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
    120 HP/252 Attack/136 SpDef
    -Drain Punch
    -Bulk Up
    -Payback
    -Mach Punch/Stone Edge

The first Ursaring is better, though, although I'd make sure it had Quick Feet, since Ursaring is very slow, but already has high attack, so you just boost with SD, while your speed is already great.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    As far as spreads, if you're going to run Ursaring, you should use more than likely an Adamant Quick Feet set with 252 Attack / 252 Speed. Conkeldurr really is better though; Mach Punch makes it, letting it bypass its abysmal speed and mash things with STAB priority.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Gorebyss loves playing in the rain!

So I'm working on a Rain Dance Team, and I'm sneaking in a Gorebyss.
    My Gorebyss will be following along the dreaded Smash Pass tactic and I do not feel bad about doing it in the least bit.

Gorebyss is focused on Defense, I do not have it's EV's set yet. But it's designed for receiving heavy hits.

My problem is trying to figure out what his last move should be.
    I'm on the fence between "Ice Beam" and "Psychic" as the last move in it's set.
    I think I want Psychic for all those nasty Fight types that I may have to come up against, but then again I'm also worried about dealing with Dragonite and it's Multiscale.

Can anybody tell me what would be the best move to choose for my defense heavy Smash Pass Gorebyss?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    So I'm working on a Rain Dance Team, and I'm sneaking in a Gorebyss.
    My Gorebyss will be following along the dreaded Smash Pass tactic and I do not feel bad about doing it in the least bit.

Gorebyss is focused on Defense, I do not have it's EV's set yet. But it's designed for receiving heavy hits.

My problem is trying to figure out what his last move should be.
    I'm on the fence between "Ice Beam" and "Psychic" as the last move in it's set.
    I think I want Psychic for all those nasty Fight types that I may have to come up against, but then again I'm also worried about dealing with Dragonite and it's Multiscale.

Can anybody tell me what would be the best move to choose for my defense heavy Smash Pass Gorebyss?

Gorebyss has to have Hydration, Swift Swim is banned on the same team as Drizzle if you are using it, bear that in mind.

Ice Beam is better anyway on it.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2012
    That is so dumb, so you mean that Gorebyss is banned just because of it's ability, which is the only ability it can ever have unless I go way out of my way to get a DW Gorebyss?!?
    You guys are so ban happy on this website it's obnoxious. I'm tired of this, all I know at this point is I can't play competitively with you guys unless I want to play boring pokemon.

Fine, and yes I am angry about this. I thought you guys would be fun to compete with online, that's why I joined this website to have fun and compete with you guys, but how am I supposed to have fun with you guys if all you ever do is ban everything in sight that is even slightly good?

Heck, go ahead and delete this post for derailing the thread if you want. You guys can continue being obnoxious beaurucrats as much as you want, I'm going to go try and find another website that DOESN'T BAN EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.

God, the only thing good about this site is it's trade corner. At least there people don't flame you for being new to the web site, or scream about the next set of bannings.
    If you're so mad about needing to get a DW Gorebyss just use it without rain. Bulky Gorebyss is still good at baton passing and can semi-sweep with a simple moveset of baton pass/shell smash/surf or hydro pump/ice beam.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024

Overheat_IV.png

^you

Chill.

1. Its not us on this website which bans stuff. If we want a say in the bans we will ladder on SMOGON to get our say on the bans.
    2. Read moar carefully. Drizzle and Swift Swim are banned on the same team. This means you can use one or the other. Please say where i said Gorebyss was banned. Oh wait you cant.
    3. Stop moaning about bans. It takes long gruelling tests and you NEED to qualify to vote on Smogon. Do you think they are decided on a whim ? No. It takes time and ALOT of testing. I got to #1 on the PO ladder and i damn well deserve to vote on what i feel is broken. I know alot of other people feel this way. I know what im talking about and so do the other people who are able to vote. They dont let morons who dont know anything vote i hope you realize this, you have to get to 1450 at least on the ladder if you want your say, otherwise sorry to say your opinions dont really matter.
    4. Things are banned because they are TOO good for OU. Dont you think if everyone says a certain Pokemon is broken, you know SOMETHING MIGHT BE UP WITH THE POKEMON IN QUESTION ? This is where voting comes in to make it fair. -_-
    I'm going to go try and find another website that DOESN'T BAN EVERYTHING IN SIGHT
    "Good luck with that because every competitive site follows these rules". Imagine that!

So can we move on now ? Yes ? Cool. :)

Last edited:
    Years
  • What should be my 6th spot on UU team

Hi, i have a UU team, i need help on deciding last pokemon. Please explain why it should be used. This is my team-

Ambipom@ Life orb

Chansey@ eviolite

Milotic@ leftovers

Jolteon@ choice specs

Heracross@choice scarf.

Last edited:
    Years
  • You should try Speed Boost Sharpedo, it brings a strong offensive presence and takes down annoying threats like Choice Scarf Victini and Slowbro, and obviously can outspeed most of the tier with its ability speed boost.

Sharpedo @ Life orb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Aqua Jet
    - Protect
    - Waterfall
    - Crunch

Also, use I think you should use Durant over Heracross, durant is so much more of a boss and is an absolutely amazing sweeper with great physical bulk. B)

Durant @ Leftovers
    4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
    Jolly Nature
    Trait: Hustle
    -Substitute/Return
    -Hone Claws
    -X-Scissor
    -Stone Edge

This thing is a beast, it has an amazing speed tier, a sweeping move that suits it very well, making up for the accuracy lost from Hustle, while Hone Claws boosts the already huge attack Hustle gives it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back