• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Questions (PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2017
    If it's the starter pokémon, add a "setvar 0x8004 0x0" command before the nicknaming special, which means that you'll be nicknaming the first pokémon in your party. If it's not, add:
    Code:
    countpokemon
    subvar 0x800D 0x1
    copyvar 0x8004 0x800D
    This won't work if your party is full, though, it'll just get you to nickname the last pokémon in your party.

Thanks! That is really helpful! Edit: It still doesn't work. :(

one last question. (sorry for my newbyness)
    I want an earthquake to happen when I step on a script tile. I found the list of specials for FR/LG and the special for a earthquake is "special 0x136". My problem is that it lasts for like half a second. How do you make earthquakes longer?

Last edited:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    Thanks! That is really helpful!

one last question. (sorry for my newbyness)
    I want an earthquake to happen when I step on a script tile. I found the list of specials for FR/LG and the special for a earthquake is "special 0x136". My problem is that it lasts for like half a second. How do you make earthquakes longer?
    Try this in your script, it's what I use:

Code:
    setvar 0x8004 0xF
    setvar 0x8005 0xF
    setvar 0x8006 0xF
    setvar 0x8007 0xF
    special 0x136
    pause 0x3C

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Well, sorry for this post, but I had meant to add screenshots but I'm not allowed to, seeing as I hadn't made but a single post... meh.

You could still get help. A screenshot would help a lot, but what kind of map is it? I'm thinking it has to do with either connections, or the border block. Are you sure you have those working properly?

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    Hi, I'm new to scripting and to this forum in general so I apologize if I'm placing this question in the wrong place.

When I open XSE (1.1.1, the latest version I believe?) and open Fire Red, the text appears blank. When I open various scripts from Advance map, its still blank. It shows the number of lines each script has (eg. 0001, 0002, 0003 on the left corner, highlighting whichever line I'm at). I can also use the arrow buttons to move across the script, and I can type stuff in, but each word is invisible.

If anyone can tell me why this is happening I would be very grateful.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Hi, I'm new to scripting and to this forum in general so I apologize if I'm placing this question in the wrong place.

When I open XSE (1.1.1, the latest version I believe?) and open Fire Red, the text appears blank. When I open various scripts from Advance map, its still blank. It shows the number of lines each script has (eg. 0001, 0002, 0003 on the left corner, highlighting whichever line I'm at). I can also use the arrow buttons to move across the script, and I can type stuff in, but each word is invisible.

If anyone can tell me why this is happening I would be very grateful.

When you open a ROM, nothing's supposed to show up. You can load scripts inputting the offset on the small box on the right of the ROM directory box, and clicking on the load button.

You can find the offsets for the scripts in Advance Map, in the Script Offset box in Advance Map's event view. Just copy them and paste them in XSE and load them. An easier way would be to just link XSE with Advance Map so you can directly open any event's script.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2014
    You could still get help. A screenshot would help a lot, but what kind of map is it? I'm thinking it has to do with either connections, or the border block. Are you sure you have those working properly?

No connections required for it to glitch out, and the background is supposed to be the black block o' doom, right? It's any map I make in the interior that does it.

I was making a cave a couple weeks ago, and it happened...

Then I made a map yesterday, and the same thing happened...

It very well may be the border... I'll go take a look at it...

--Edit--

Well, I took a look, and can't find the problem... hmph! Too bad I can't add attachments... It would probably be actually easier for me to induce the bug on a ROM and then put the ROM in my dropbox, then post the link, that way other people can actually see it... Hrm...

--Edit Again--

But an interesting point is that I cannot even change the border anymore... Anybody know any way to fix that?

--Edit Again Again (xD)--

Aaaaaaand now it's working! The border wasn't changing, but I suddenly realized that could be because I was using the wrong version of A-map. (I have two, and I keep them both because one actually allows me to delete events and the other allows me to actually do things in the header instead of displaying useless babble.)

Well, anyway, thanks to the people that tried to help! Warharharharharharharharharhar!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    No connections required for it to glitch out, and the background is supposed to be the black block o' doom, right? It's any map I make in the interior that does it.

I was making a cave a couple weeks ago, and it happened...

Then I made a map yesterday, and the same thing happened...

It very well may be the border... I'll go take a look at it...

Try editing that "black block o' doom" and see what happens. I think it glitches out if you're using the "transparent black" of a palette.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2014
    Try editing that "black block o' doom" and see what happens. I think it glitches out if you're using the "transparent black" of a palette.

Even though I managed to solve it, I tried your method just because, and it worked too. xD I suppose there is more than one way to solve a problem in A-Map.

Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2016
    Alright, I have a question that's probably incredibly simple that I can't seem to figure out: How do I take a script for a routine, turn it into an ASM file, and compile it and insert it into the game? I'm trying to add the routines from the "Pre-Battle Mugshots in Fire Red" thread that I can't link to because I haven't made enough posts.

Every tutorial I've seen on these forums has broken links for the compilers the suggest, and the random ones I got off of google don't seem to want to recognize the code properly. I'm sure this is incredibly easy to figure out and I'll feel stupid when it's solved, but for now I'm stumped.

Logan

Years
    A problem ai am facing is I am making a hack that includes Kanto and Hoenn how to add all 16 badge from two regions?
    You're unlikely to be able to add 16 physical badges, your best bet is to just do 8 like normal and use your own flags for the other 8 and keep track of it that way. Alternatively if you're feeling creative check out Pokemon Cobalt and have a look at how Spherical Ice handled it with the diploma hack.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
    You're unlikely to be able to add 16 physical badges, your best bet is to just do 8 like normal and use your own flags for the other 8 and keep track of it that way. Alternatively if you're feeling creative check out Pokemon Cobalt and have a look at how Spherical Ice handled it with the diploma hack.

could always just clear all the badges once he gets to the next region and have the player re-obtain them but then again you'd lose the ability to use HMs so

Logan

Years
    could always just clear all the badges once he gets to the next region and have the player re-obtain them but then again you'd lose the ability to use HMs so
    Yeah it is possible but if you're retaining your Pokemon and their moves from the previous region it probably isn't practical.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
    Yeah it is possible but if you're retaining your Pokemon and their moves from the previous region it probably isn't practical.

Probably a noob question.. if your pokemon have the HM move.. can't they use it in battle without the corresponding badge? You could just have it to where all badges are removed, however for the scripts for the rocks and trees to be smashed or cut you can just have the script search for the move in your party and if present ask if you'd like to cut or whatever ... that way it kind of bypasses the whole HM thing. Much like liquid crystal's head smash or whatever for the trees to get bug pokemon to fall out.

Logan

Years
    Probably a noob question.. if your pokemon have the HM move.. can't they use it in battle without the corresponding badge? You could just have it to where all badges are removed, however for the scripts for the rocks and trees to be smashed or cut you can just have the script search for the move in your party and if present ask if you'd like to cut or whatever ... that way it kind of bypasses the whole HM thing. Much like liquid crystal's head smash or whatever for the trees to get bug pokemon to fall out.
    Yep, you don't need the badge to use the move inbattle. You're right that can be done but I think there is probably a more creative solution out there. But if the OP does want to go that way I do know the bytes to change so you don't need badges for Surf or Fly :).

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    When you open a ROM, nothing's supposed to show up. You can load scripts inputting the offset on the small box on the right of the ROM directory box, and clicking on the load button.

You can find the offsets for the scripts in Advance Map, in the Script Offset box in Advance Map's event view. Just copy them and paste them in XSE and load them. An easier way would be to just link XSE with Advance Map so you can directly open any event's script.

It crashes when I try to paste something in the box. I can manually type offsets in there, and Advanced map is linked to XSE. I know the script is showing because each line is numbered, and on the bottom it tells me which line (Ln) and part of each line (Col) im on, but its all blank. Ive tried resetting font/colors as well. I think there might be something wrong with my mac...

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
    Years
    It crashes when I try to paste something in the box. I can manually type offsets in there, and Advanced map is linked to XSE. I know the script is showing because each line is numbered, and on the bottom it tells me which line (Ln) and part of each line (Col) im on, but its all blank. Ive tried resetting font/colors as well. I think there might be something wrong with my mac...

This is a problem with wine. Resize the window, the you will be able to see it. There is something wrong with the .NET framework not refreshing text boxes under wine properly. I use Ubuntu (Linux) so I know this issue well. If you constantly resize the window, you force a refresh and the text will update.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Might be a long shot but could anyone tell me what the offset is for the start of the evolution data table in FireRed? I might not be using the correct terminology so sorry about that, but I mean the number I would search for in a hex editor. The reason I ask is so that I can copy the old code from a clean FR rom to my hacked one to try and fix the corruption I think I've made, if that makes things any more clear?

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    This is a problem with wine. Resize the window, the you will be able to see it. There is something wrong with the .NET framework not refreshing text boxes under wine properly. I use Ubuntu (Linux) so I know this issue well. If you constantly resize the window, you force a refresh and the text will update.

It worked! Thanks so much!!

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2017
    So I made a map, and after a battle, (trainer and wild) the screen stays black when it should fade back to the over world screen. What the heck could be going wrong?

I tested my battle script on another map and it worked fine, so I know it's a mapping problem.

Edit, it was apparently caused by the weather I choose. I had overheat active on the map. Why would this make a difference?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back