• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Questions (PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Back here again for the second time in the space of a few days, I was just wondering if anyone knew the variables or specials for the FR/LG Safari Zone? I understand that it counts how many steps you take, then if it gets to a certain number, you get the PA message and you're warped out of there automatically. So far from combing through the original script I've found specials 0xCE and 0xCD, but I don't know what they do... and none of the vars seem to be set to a very high number to count down from. I'd like to know how to use it for a mini-game. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
    Years
  • Hi !
    I have a problem with XSE, I have changed my computer and since that day, XSE does not want to walk.
    I am running Windows 8. If you do not understand, look at this:
    https://imageshack.com/a/img827/6792/owfy.png
    Sorry for the screen ; it's in French.

I would say you have an old version that still tries to contact HackMew's dead website for updates. Go to Gamer2020's thread and get the latest version. If you have the latest, make sure you have all of the latest service packs of each .NET framework installed as well as the VB6 compatibility.

Back here again for the second time in the space of a few days, I was just wondering if anyone knew the variables or specials for the FR/LG Safari Zone? I understand that it counts how many steps you take, then if it gets to a certain number, you get the PA message and you're warped out of there automatically. So far from combing through the original script I've found specials 0xCE and 0xCD, but I don't know what they do... and none of the vars seem to be set to a very high number to count down from. I'd like to know how to use it for a mini-game. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Have a look through here:

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=302347

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2024
    Hi !
    I have a problem with XSE, I have changed my computer and since that day, XSE does not want to walk.
    I am running Windows 8. If you do not understand, look at this:
    https://imageshack.com/a/img827/6792/owfy.png
    Sorry for the screen ; it's in French.

Open Settings.ini, and look for a line that says AutoUpdateCheck=1. Change the 1 to a 0 and see if that does it.

Years
  • Open Settings.ini, and look for a line that says AutoUpdateCheck=1. Change the 1 to a 0 and see if that does it.
    Sorry, it does not work.

I would say you have an old version that still tries to contact HackMew's dead website for updates. Go to Gamer2020's thread and get the latest version. If you have the latest, make sure you have all of the latest service packs of each .NET framework installed as well as the VB6 compatibility.
    Ah, thank you, it works !

Last edited:

Origin Green

Smell ya later!
    Years
  • Hello! I am hacking Pokemon Ruby and trying to change the text during Prof. Birch's intro, however I want to script it properly instead of using A text, usually scripts can be found and edited in Advanced Map when a script editor is liked to it, however I cannot find the script, is anybody able to help?
    Thank you :)

Years
  • Well, not sure if this is a SIMPLE question, but here it goes-
    Spoiler:

I recently applied JPANS FR Hacked Engine, and when I leave the players house, it comes to a pattern of Tree tiles and Water tiles- I took a look at the situation in my Hex Editor, and those ?? popped up. Im aware the Engine deletes all scripts, but I dont remember ?? being there... Any suggestions on a way to fix it?
    (I AM using a clean FR ROM from a reliable ROM source by the way)

Your ROM can't be open in AMap and HxD at the same time. Close AMap and reload it in HxD.

Telinc1

Weirdo Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Hello! I am hacking Pokemon Ruby and trying to change the text during Prof. Birch's intro, however I want to script it properly instead of using A text, usually scripts can be found and edited in Advanced Map when a script editor is liked to it, however I cannot find the script, is anybody able to help?
    The Prof. Birch intro is not a script. It's ASM, to my knowledge. To change it, you should use A-Text to find the offset but DO NOT use it to edit the text. You should compile your new text with XSE, then search for the pointer to the offset and repoint it.

Anyway, for my question. Does anybody know how to change the Pokémon that the Soul Dew affects? I tried doing research on it, but I can't find anything.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years

It isn't a script, it's asm with text. So the only way is to find the text then repoint and edit in xse

Origin Green

Smell ya later!
    Years
  • The Prof. Birch intro is not a script. It's ASM, to my knowledge. To change it, you should use A-Text to find the offset but DO NOT use it to edit the text. You should compile your new text with XSE, then search for the pointer to the offset and repoint it.

Anyway, for my question. Does anybody know how to change the Pokémon that the Soul Dew affects? I tried doing research on it, but I can't find anything.

Okay I have my offset from A-Text (1C6D78) Where do I go from here? I am a little bit confused...

It isn't a script, it's asm with text. So the only way is to find the text then repoint and edit in xse

This is the part I don't quite understand, how do I use the offset I found to locate the text?

GoGoJJTech

Years
  • The Prof. Birch intro is not a script. It's ASM, to my knowledge. To change it, you should use A-Text to find the offset but DO NOT use it to edit the text. You should compile your new text with XSE, then search for the pointer to the offset and repoint it.

Go in Item Manager or whatever and find Soul Dew. It should show a mystery value of sorts. Take that mystery value and go to the table and multiply mystery *4, then go to the pointer it shows. follow it. Disassemble or debug the routine and it should show latios and latias' numbers, so change them accordingly.

Okay I have my offset from A-Text (1C6D78) Where do I go from here? I am a little bit confused...

This is the part I don't quite understand

So make a pointer
    1C6D78
    1C 6D 78
    78 6D 1C
    78 6D 1C 08
    786D1C08

Now search for this in a hex editor and change it to your new text offset.

Last edited:

Origin Green

Smell ya later!
    Years
  • Go in Item Manager or whatever and find Soul Dew. It should show a mystery value of sorts. Take that mystery value and go to the table and multiply mystery *4, then go to the pointer it shows. follow it. Disassemble or debug the routine and it should show latios and latias' numbers, so change them accordingly.

So make a pointer
    1C6D78
    1C 6D 78
    78 6D 1C
    78 6D 1C 08
    786D1C08

Now search for this in a hex editor and change it to your new text offset.

Thank you you have been a great help! Been Rom hacking for years but mostly been doing graphical stuff, trying to move into the scripting/hex area now. :)

GoGoJJTech

Years
  • Thank you you have been a great help! Been Rom hacking for years but mostly been doing graphical stuff, trying to move into the scripting/hex area now. :)

You should get into that asm area too, hoho :D

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    Quick question, on Ruby, is the palette used for the grass animations used by anything else?

Simple Questions (PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING)

I decided that, instead of modifying the ASM routine for the ashy grass, it would make sense that the player can't run through snowy grass, and I'd have more control over the battle screen, as well. I want to use those blues and browns for the snow colors, but I don't want to mess up any other animations.

GoGoJJTech

Years
  • I think it's fine, but remember the grass animations are stuck in a sprite sheet that uses other grass types like the tall tall grass.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    I think it's fine, but remember the grass animations are stuck in a sprite sheet that uses other grass types like the tall tall grass.

Right. I was just going to change the tall grass animation, but I tried it, and when the player walks up and down, the base of the grass stays where it was, and the player's head is covered by it temporarily. I noticed that there are other frames for other grass animations that seem to not be used. Is there a behavior byte to call these, or one where the grass behaves the same as 02, but with different graphics? Or would I need ASM for that?

GoGoJJTech

Years
  • Right. I was just going to change the tall grass animation, but I tried it, and when the player walks up and down, the base of the grass stays where it was, and the player's head is covered by it temporarily. I noticed that there are other frames for other grass animations that seem to not be used. Is there a behavior byte to call these, or one where the grass behaves the same as 02, but with different graphics? Or would I need ASM for that?

Just swap the order since they're not used in the sprite sheet

It is possible to cross an overworld?

No, unless you change it so you can (idk why you'd make it so you can walk through people)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    Just swap the order since they're not used in the sprite sheet)

I guess I wasn't very clear with the description. The way the tall grass behaves, it normally hides most of the sprite. This is achieved by the entire graphic covering the player at all times. I changed the tiles for the tall grass and it gives me this:
    Spoiler:

Whereas I would like the tiles to behave like the normal grass:
    Spoiler:

but still force the player to walk, and call up the tall grass battle screen (and be a different color, but that's manageable because it's different tiles). I'd imagine this is ASM related.

Edit: Apparently, this behavior byte causes even the tiles on the lower level to cover the player, as seen here.
    Spoiler:

After a bit more exploring, I think I found the cause of the problems. In normal grass, both the player and the grass overlay have a priority of 2. In tall grass, the player gets priority 3, and the top of his head and the grass are 2. I'm fairly sure I'd be able to fix this if I had the address for the ASM routine for the tall grass. Could someone help me out, or point me to how I would find this address?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2018
    I need help with this and unless ive overlooked a response tht its been on for 4 or 5 pages .-. is there anyone that can help me with the mechanics of a Bank system simple function withdrawl andd deposit no interest. and if when you get to a certain amount youll get a prize(s)

and this below..

"just noticed the map for fire red has switching? for the sevii islands how do i change all the maps?
    This is controlled by some bytes which I cannot remember the location of"

Does anyone know about the map question?

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • It is possible to cross an overworld?

applymovement commands work with this. so if you're just wanting like a one time thing just do some applymovement scripts around your OWs or whatever and it'll work

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back