• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Questions (PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
  • Hmmm, okay. I understand ASM isn't the easiest thing to do so I'm not gonna even ask how to do what you said haha, but is there potentially a way to go the other way about it, i.e changing the requirements to be able to use Rock smash using normal scripting?

The hack I'm working on isn't so much a hack, but more a re-imagining of Hoenn with added pokemon, rejigged pretty much everything and some major map changes. I really wanted to convert the route to Dewford into a land-based route, and forget Mr Briney altogether! haha.

If worst comes to worst is the badges thing something I could outsource to someone who knows what they're doing?

Thanks for the answer, I appreciate you taking the time with such an inexperienced hacker.

If you just want to change rock smash, that can be done. First, you need to edit the script on the rocks. Then, you need to find the script that gets called from the Pokemon menu and change it.

M0ZEPH

Formally 'Resultz' - Returned!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    If you just want to change rock smash, that can be done. First, you need to edit the script on the rocks. Then, you need to find the script that gets called from the Pokemon menu and change it.

And that would involve changing the flag checked to the corresponding badge for the rocks, right?

With the pokemon menu bit I'm confused as to what would need to be done.

Thanks

M0ZEPH

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    There is a separate script/routine used in the Pokemon menu. Sadly, I have lost track of it, but it would be the same change.

I mean is that something that can easily be found or does that once again fall under ASM?

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2019
    Does anyone know which ini in Amap1.92 has the free space offset? I would like to change it to 0x900000 because it will soon start using the free space I left for further Pokemon expansion tables...

Years
  • Does anyone know which ini in Amap1.92 has the free space offset? I would like to change it to 0x900000 because it will soon start using the free space I left for further Pokemon expansion tables...

The one titled AdvanceMap in the INI folder.

Code:
    [Version:BPR]
    mainfile=ini/frMain.ini
    mapsfile=ini/frMaps.ini
    TilesetIni=ini/frTilesets.ini
    Tilesethoehe=40
    Teil1Bloecke=$280
    SpritePalettenAnz=18
    AnzMapNamen=109
    AnzTilesets=67
    SuchByte=$FF
    SuchBeginn=[B]$800000[/B]
    AnzItems=374

The bolded offset is the one you want to change (it might be $6B0000 on an unaltered INI).

Aethestode

Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    How to make double trainer battle in Pokemon fireRed?
    For example, like in Pokemon Emerald, you can pair up with another trainer, and battle with them.

M0ZEPH

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    The second one will require some research. Why not just not use rock smash rocks until later? That seems like a much easier path for a new hacker. Instead, rely on events instead of blockages to guide the player.

That DOES sound easier. I think I've worked out a way to work it with Cut and Blockages until Rock Smash is obtained... Thanks for the help, appreciate it!

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2014
    Hey, so I was messing around with advancemap, and I wanted to make my own grass but still have it spawn wild pokes. I copied the behavior byte/background byte of the regular grass but then your character is overlapped by the grass because the "Block is covered by hero" background byte isn't enabled. Help?

karatekid552

Years
  • Hey, so I was messing around with advancemap, and I wanted to make my own grass but still have it spawn wild pokes. I copied the behavior byte/background byte of the regular grass but then your character is overlapped by the grass because the "Block is covered by hero" background byte isn't enabled. Help?

Look at the tiles for the original grass. All tiles have two layers (except Diegos, which have 3, lol). I can bet you are putting the grass on the top layer instead of the bottom.

Years
  • How do you change the trainer overworlds in fire red , ruby, or emerald to those like hgss? I want to use the new bigger overworlds for red and gary? I cannot find a tutorial on this.

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
    Years
  • I'll ask this again and show everyone why I need to know the answer:

I'm working on a rombase for Pokémon Emerald and I implemented the Fairy-type over the ???-type. Here's a pic of it:

Spoiler:

It is a legitimate attacking type, but there's one flaw. Eggs are considered the ???-type. So, if I don't edit the type of eggs, then they'll be Fairy-type. I don't want that. So, can anyone please tell me, how do you change the type of an egg in Emerald? I literally looked through thousands of bytes of data and I have not found anything. I've found ways to destroy my game, but not anything useful as to change the type of an egg...

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
  • I'll ask this again and show everyone why I need to know the answer:

I'm working on a rombase for Pokémon Emerald and I implemented the Fairy-type over the ???-type. Here's a pic of it:

Spoiler:

It is a legitimate attacking type, but there's one flaw. Eggs are considered the ???-type. So, if I don't edit the type of eggs, then they'll be Fairy-type. I don't want that. So, can anyone please tell me, how do you change the type of an egg in Emerald? I literally looked through thousands of bytes of data and I have not found anything. I've found ways to destroy my game, but not anything useful as to change the type of an egg...

I think you need to go look through the tutorial's section. We have 2-3 tutorials about adding new types without replacing. MrDollSteak's rom base also has this feature.

How do you change the trainer overworlds in fire red , ruby, or emerald to those like hgss? I want to use the new bigger overworlds for red and gary? I cannot find a tutorial on this.

Use NSE Classic, which has an expansion feature. It doesn't need a tutorial because it is fairly simple. I think the guide for NSE Classic explains it.

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
    Years
  • Right, egg moves. Blanked on that. Anyways I'm working with an extended/repointed move table and the tool doesn't have support for either.

EDIT: I used the tool though to see Bulbasaur's egg moves, then searched for the hex in the rom. In BPEE, the table starts at 0x32ADD8 and is 0x8E6 bytes long if anyone else is interested.

So it looks like there is a limiter on this table somewhere. I repointed and expanded the table; all of the entries within the length of original table work, but any beyond the normal length don't. Any idea how I might go about finding where the limiter would be?

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
    Years
  • Near the pointer to the table.

That's were I figured I'd start, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for in a limiter. I haven't seen any bytes that look like the table length in bytes (in this case 0x8E4, or 0x8E6 if it counts the two FF's at the end) or in number of entries, or anything like that.

karatekid552

Years
  • That's were I figured I'd start, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for in a limiter. I haven't seen any bytes that look like the table length in bytes (in this case 0x8E4, or 0x8E6 if it counts the two FF's at the end) or in number of entries, or anything like that.

I found it. Give me a moment to sort out exactly how it works, though.

Okay, at 0x8045CC4, there is a word. It is 0x00000471, which is half of 0x8E2. This is because it is in a loop that is entered only if the first entry doesn't match (thus removing two.) Because every entry in the table is 2 bytes, the counter goes up in halves. Hope this helps.:) This is FR, if you need another game, let me know. I have them all now. (It wasn't hard to get the rest, just -4 on the offset of the second pointer.)

Last edited:

LCCoolJ95

Limited Capacity
    Years
  • I think you need to go look through the tutorial's section. We have 2-3 tutorials about adding new types without replacing. MrDollSteak's rom base also has this feature.
    I did look through the tutorials extensively:

ShyRayq's tutorial is specifically for Firered, since FR/LG's type sprites are different from RSE's.

So, I looked at destinedjagold's tutorial on how to add new types, since Emerald is closely related to Ruby. However, that tutorial removes the contest system within the game. So, it still technically replaces something instead of adding something.

Tropical Sunlight did a tutorial on how to change other types, which is useless for me.

Coolboyman's tutorial on which bytes go to which type was possibly the ONLY tutorial that was useful to me. That's how I set up the Strengths/Weaknesses/Resistances.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back