• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Sinnoh starters!

Which Sinnoh starter did you pick?

• Turtwig

Votes: 39 26.7%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 60 41.1%
  • Piplup

Votes: 62 42.5%

• Total voters
Years
  • 387.png
    390.png
    393.png

Since we have a Johto starters thread, I figured we should have one for Sinnoh's starters as well.

In the cold land of Sinnoh, we were given choice between these three starters for our partner - the Grass-type Turtwig, Fire-type Chimchar or the Water-type Piplup. Each one gained useful types as they evolve, and learned really strong moves as well, making them each a great team member throughout the game.

So, which one did you choose in your first playthrough? Which one was your general fave? Did you like the secondary types their evolutions gained? And what do you think of these starters as a whole?

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Torterra. Although the least preferred of the three starters, I like Torterra's design and typing. This thing's probably the best out of the three in-game due to its excellent bulk and high-powered STABs, allowing it to take one Hydro Pump or Flare Blitz and take out the other two starters. Against Cynthia it can easily beat Spiritomb, Lucario and even Roserade. Meanwhile, on the competitive side, it can set up SR or eat PU orphans with a CB set.

I was never a big fan of Infernape or Empoleon because of how overrated they are, although I like Ash's Infernape due to its fighting spirit. I'd also like to mention that I trolled the pre-ORAS Uberz ladder with an Infernape since everyone gave it crap for how outclassed it is. I got #35 on the ladder. But these three are by far the best starters both in-game and competitively in my opinion.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Turtwig, always Turtwig, I love Turtwig. I adore Turtwig's design, and pretty much everything about it. I love the Ground-type addition when it evolves into Grotle and then eventually Torterra. Torterra is one of my favourite final evolutions of all the starters. I am seriously a sucker for Turtwig's design, one of my favourite designs in Pokemon.

387.png

Diddums :3

Years
  • I chose Chimchar during my first playthrough of Sinnoh. It's so cute!

Also, Infernape is my favorite of the three starter final evolutions and is a great battler.

I've used all three though at least once.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • I went with Piplup the first time around and had a blast. The other two, especially the fire type, held little interest to me and it seemed like a cruel joke to spam fighting/fire for three generations in a row. Screw that typing; I hate it so much because it's nothing unique at all.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I used all three on my first run through of the game! I loved all of them and had the habit of using all starters of a given region so I thought I might pass that onto my journey through Sinnoh.

Years
  • I picked Piplup on my first playthrough of Pearl, but most playthroughs after that often saw me choosing Chimchar due to its usefulness throughout the game. I also love both those two equally, Piplup for its line eventually becoming part Steel-type and Chimchar's useful movepool and gaining a handy Fighting-type with its evos.

Also, I love both penguins and monkeys so it's no wonder why.

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    I used all three on my first run through of the game! I loved all of them and had the habit of using all starters of a given region so I thought I might pass that onto my journey through Sinnoh.

You're just like me! I used all of the Johto starters in HeartGold and all the Kanto ones in Yellow, as well as using all of them in Platinum. I'm thinking of using them all in Unova. Sometimes I only evolve the Fire type because of Ash's Charizard and Pignite, which I did in Yellow with my Charizard and left Bulbasaur and Squirtle as is. I only evolved Bayleef willingly in HeartGold, but had to evolve Totodile to its final form to beat Lance (aw!).

Answering the original question though, I always preferred Chimchar. That was the first game where I strayed away from the Grass type. I love Infernape. I remember when I first played Diamond and beat it with a female Infernape.

I picked Empoleon when I first played Platinum and then had all three for my current playthrough.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • I picked Piplup in my first playthrough, because i love water-type pokémon,and i love penguins :P I like Piplup to because in his final evolution (Empoleon) he becomes a water and steel type pokémon,with that steel type he becomes resistant against eletric-type pokémon!But I like Chimchar and Turtwig. Infernape it has a great potential because he is fire/fighting, and he is amazing.Torterra it's huge and amazing too :)

But I played with all three starter pokémon of Sinnoh!
    I don't have any favourite, they are all cool and amazing!

blue

gucci
    Years
  • The Sinnoh starters were middle of the road for me, not the worst but not the best. I chose Piplup on my first playthrough of Diamond as it is easily my favourite of the three.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I've never been fond of these starters. They are all my least favorites of the series, although Infernape has grown on me slightly.

My first time, I chose my Grass-type traditional of Turtwig. It wasn't a bad Pokemon battle-wise, though I can't exactly remember my Diamond runthrough because it was a long time ago. Then there's my second time, which I started years ago and just finished a few months with Infernape. That thing was decent as well. I think Empoleon might've been more awesome because of its typing. But these guys don't really stand out to me, to be honest.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I went with Piplup, obviously. Who can't like a baby penguin starter? :D

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    When I first played I picked Turtwig. Overall I liked it and I've used it a fair amount of times considering how many times I've replayed that region. Idk which one I picked next but ultimately I really love Empoleon. The typing worked well and I found it to be a very useful Pokemon. It's one of my top favorite starters. After coming out of Hoenn and abusing Blaziken (and loving it) I found that Infernape didn't live up to that same enjoyment I got out of Blaziken. It's def useful and I'd use it again, but it just never clicked with me in anyway.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    I chose Chimchar on my first playthrough. I like Fire-Types a lot, so why not? I went for it. And it turned out to be a pretty good team member. Although I didn't really like how it had the same typing as Blaziken when it evolved! :L My general favourite would have to be Piplup. Such a cutie pie! It didn't turn out as good as Infernape for me, but still it was probably the best Water-Type starter I'd ever used before. And yes, I loved the fact that it got Steel-Type as a secondary typing! <3

I'm gonna be honest, never used Turtwig! I've seen how powerful Torterra is when others use it, but for me it's design just doesn't appeal to me :/ I'm sure it has an amazing movepool though! :D

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2015
    I would go for Chimchar. He is just so cool, I remember that one episode when he had blaze and he was listening to Ash. It warmed my heart, and thats why I would always love Chimchar <3

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • I chose Chimchar. I love fire types. It also looked really cute and becomes amazing when it evolves into Infernape. :3 It turned out to be by far one of the best starters that I had ever used in a game. xD I have used Piplup a few times. Wasn't as fond of it but it was still pretty good. :3 It did what it was supposed to.

I never really cared for Turtwig. The design and it's typing just wasn't something that I really cared for. It also seemed kind of weak in my opinion. So wasn't really worth using

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2017
    I chose piplup because its final evolution is like a tank :3

Back