• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Sinnoh starters!

Which Sinnoh starter did you pick?

• Turtwig

Votes: 39 26.7%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 60 41.1%
  • Piplup

Votes: 62 42.5%

• Total voters

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I chose Piplup because it's adorable and it's one of my favorite water type Pokémon. I like its final evolution form as well. I think it was...Empoleon? I don't remember. I haven't played the game in years.

SilverLeafeon75

Type diversity? What type diversity?
    Years
  • I usually pick Chimchar. The attack power and speed, combined with looks make it a quick pick for me, combined with a lack of fire types. I have not used Turtwig as him and his evolution's don't tickle my fancy. My least favorite is Piplup. I hate piplup for the same reason as why I hate Treecko. Why does a starter have to have a 20 BASE POWER stab until its 20's, when it has evolved. When peck and metal claw are more effective that your main stab, you have a problem.

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
  • Turtwig made me break the chain of only picking the water type starter in a new gen. I thought it was adorable and the moves it can get near the end of the game are pretty crazy. I picked it in my import playthrough, and in my English run I picked up Chimchar.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2017
    I prefer Turtwig it was the one I chose when I first played Pokemon Pearl.
    It was my favorite back then and still is now.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    Piplup aka my favourite ever Pokemon, Pearl is actually the only game where I didn't start again with a different starter.

PokeTrekkie92

Gym Leader of Alabaster
    Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2022
    On Pokemon Diamond and Platinum, I chose Piplup and on Pearl I chose Chimchar :)

Elekizer

Lover of Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2016
    I chose Turtwig! I like how it looks, it's cute and I always tend to choose the grass types anyway. I love Torterra too! Being a part ground type makes it awesome!

For me, the Sinnoh starters are the best looking starters of all the games.

Sirfetch’d

I am currently replaying Platinum and have chosen Piplup as my starter. All 3 of the Sinnoh starters are wonderful to me so I am happy with whoever I choose. Turtwig is probably my favorite though.

Years
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 17, 2021
    I chose Chimchar. I'll be honest, I don't really like either of the others. My view of Piplup may be tainted by the show though, Dawn's Piplup was annoying as hell.

Years
  • The others seemed like a fairly marked descent from the more serious designs of for instance G/S/C, or slightly less notably R/S/E, so Turtwig was probably the best option at the time. Still a bit iffy, though.

Back