• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sleep Paralysis

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    One day morning, My brain experienced a sudden flash, then I feel like I was falling down. I see some images of buildings falling down, and I hear the sound of screaming and earthquake. It lasted for 3 seconds. After it was over, I became afraid of dark and immediately turned on the light.
    It is sleep paralysis. You get paralyzed while being awake and eyes closed. You can't move, you can't even open your eyes. In some cases, you see monsters and scary stuff.

Have sleep paralysis even happened to you? Talk about sleep paralysis here.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Yeah, that's happened to me before. It's just when your body wakes up in the middle of REM sleep. During REM sleep, your brain paralyzes your body so your limbs don't flail around during you dreams and hurt you. Sometimes you wake up and your body doesn't know you awake. Thus, sleep paralysis occurs.

I know a hell of a lot of useless facts. ._."​

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    That's happened to me before; luckily, I knew what it was before-hand so I just thought it was pretty cool.

I didn't see any monsters though..xD;

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    I had a dream I was paralyzed, it felt very real. Nothing freaky, I was just on the phone with a friend and I fell down and couldn't move or speak. Strange experience.

michele

☮ & ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    i have sleep paralysis all the time.
    except when it happens to me, i can open my eyes - but i can't move any part of my body, nor can i open my mouth; no hallucinations.
    for the most part, it only lasts for a few seconds before i'm able to get my body to move again.
    it used to terrify me at first and i'd panic and stop breathing, but now everytime i wake up and it happens i know to keep calm until it passes.
    it's still scary as hell, though. :|

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I also think hallucinations occur during sleep paralysis, too.
    Only sometimes. Most of the time, you don't have them. But other times you do. Some people have them more than others.​

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Oh, it happened to me some times, usually during nightmares or when I dream of someone tickling me XD

Not too often, luckily. I get furious when I wake up.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I hate when that happens, I try to open my mouth and yell help but nothing comes out and my mind is flipping out. What I do now, is try to stay calm until I am able to move. Usually, I shoot up and have all this sudden energy from it and it takes a while to calm down. It is the worst feeling.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • That has never happened to me, although, interestingly enough, I was reading about this a few weeks ago. :P I don't really know whether I'd want it to happen to me or not. XD;

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
  • Oh, that explains it.

I had the once, It was pretty much likeI was having a dream, but I was awake trying to get awake. I feel back asleep, and was able to get up afterwards.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Its happened to me as well, but not in a nightmarish fashion.

I thought I was talking to someone (where in reality I wasn't), and at one point made the decision to get out of bed, but couldn't, I couldn't even open my eyes, and I felt tired too. Really weird sensation.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2011
    uhmm well I'm not sure of what you mean...but when I have nightmares or a really bad dream, I wake up and my mind starts working and thinking, but I can't move my body and it takes like 2 or 3 seconds...I hate that so much!

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    uhmm well I'm not sure of what you mean...but when I have nightmares or a really bad dream, I wake up and my mind starts working and thinking, but I can't move my body and it takes like 2 or 3 seconds...I hate that so much!

I believe you're referring to just those few moments from waking up, like a sort of disorientation.

While sleep paralysis would last a little bit longer, and you would actually try to move to no avail. :)

BJ088

It's been so long!
    Years
  • One day morning, My brain experienced a sudden flash, then I feel like I was falling down. I see some images of buildings falling down, and I hear the sound of screaming and earthquake. It lasted for 3 seconds. After it was over, I became afraid of dark and immediately turned on the light.
    It is sleep paralysis. You get paralyzed while being awake and eyes closed. You can't move, you can't even open your eyes. In some cases, you see monsters and scary stuff.

Have sleep paralysis even happened to you? Talk about sleep paralysis here.

WOW!
    Tell ya what, if that happened to me I would HAVE to smash some beers and have a ciggie afterwards just to calm down.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
  • Yeah. Ive had it so many times. Especially when I was 17 and 18... Every other day practically. My heart used to race as well. It's not uncommon for your heart to race during REM stage. In fact when people die in their sleep, it is most likely in REM sleep;) Another useless disturbing fact haha.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I remember when I was 5 I had one freaking screwed up dream about the Simpsons, and I KNEW I was awake but I couldn't move a muscle until like a few seconds later.

...Thinking back about it that was... wow...

Back