• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sleep Paralysis

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    I have a better word to describe the sudden flash in my brain: static electricity. When the brain is emitting something to paralyze my body, I feel that electricity bolt

kingofjokers

This is not a custom title!!!!
    Years
  • OMG i thought i was the only one with this it happens to me like once a week but some how i know when its gonna happen so I shut my eyes. The weird part about all of this i never sleep face up its always on my sides and I would feel this odd feeling and i open my eyes and something horrifying happens and I get freaked out I really hate when it happens it hasn't been happing alot now a days but it still is scary.

hoone

Anyone over 20? Dang.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2009
    i have sleep paralysis all the time.
    except when it happens to me, i can open my eyes - but i can't move any part of my body, nor can i open my mouth; no hallucinations.
    for the most part, it only lasts for a few seconds before i'm able to get my body to move again.
    it used to terrify me at first and i'd panic and stop breathing, but now everytime i wake up and it happens i know to keep calm until it passes.
    it's still scary as hell, though. :|

Yeah, quite frequent for me too. My eyes are actually open. As for hallucinations I can imagine walking to other places in my house, and it feels like I'm moving towards there but I'm still lying down on the bed unable to move. First time it happened to me I thought it was just a dream but later I saw my family going about their business at home, plus I could still hear them.
    I agree it never stop being scary. I don't know why though, I always end up being able to move again.
    Hahaha, I do the heavy breathing technique everytime it happens too, it never works.

It happens when you don't get enough sleep.
    Also, it happens if you sleep face upward.

Watch this video, it explains sleep paralysis, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCSqT5nZ9n4
    HAHAHAHA, I never get enough sleep
    HAHAHAHA, I sleep face upward

Just wish someone told me soon T___T

Last edited:

molepeople27

Pumpkin King
    Years
  • Sleep paralysis

Has anybody out there gone through this phenomenon?

It's quite scary when your body is still sleeping and your mind is awake

Here some information on it ( from https://www.stanford.edu/~dement/paralysis.html): What is sleep paralysis?

Sleep paralysis consists of a period of inability to perform voluntary movements either at sleep onset (called hypnogogic or predormital form) or upon awakening (called hypnopompic or postdormtal form).

Sleep paralysis may also be referred to as isolated sleep paralysis, familial sleep paralysis, hynogogic or hypnopompic paralysis, predormital or postdormital paralysis

What are the symptoms?

A complaint of inability to move the trunk or limbs at sleep onset or upon awakening
    Presence of brief episodes of partial or complete skeletal muscle paralysis
    Episodes can be associated with hypnagogic hallucinations or dream-like mentation (act or use of the brain)
    Polysomnography (a sleep recording) shows at least one of the following:

suppression of skeletal muscle tone
    a sleep onset REM period
    dissociated REM sleep
    Is it harmful?

Sleep paralysis is most often associated with narcolepsy, a neurological condition in which the person has uncontrollable naps. However, there are many people who experience sleep paralysis without having signs of narcolepsy. Sometimes it runs in families. There is no known explanation why some people experience this paralysis. It is not harmful, although most people report feeling very afraid because they do not know what is happening, and within minutes they gradually or abruptly are able to move again; the episode is often terminated by a sound or a touch on the body.

In some cases, when hypnogogic hallucinations are present, people feel that someone is in the room with them, some experience the feeling that someone or something is sitting on their chest and they feel impending death and suffocation. That has been called the "Hag Phenomena" and has been happening to people over the centuries. These things cause people much anxiety and terror, but there is no physical harm.

What else can you tell me about sleep paralysis?

Some people with disrupted sleep schedules or circadian rhythm disturbances experience sleep paralysis
    A study found that 35% of subjects with isolated sleep paralysis also reported a history of wake panic attacks unrelated to the experience of paralysis
    Sixteen percent of these persons with isolated sleep paralysis met the criteria for panic disorder
    How can I stop the sleep paralysis?

In severe cases, where episodes take place at least once a week for 6 months, medication may be used.

You may be able to minimize the episodes by following good sleep hygiene:

getting enough sleep
    reduce stress
    exercise regularly (but not too close to bedtime)
    keep a regular sleep schedule

BUT there is also away to obtain it!

check out this video for further information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-9hETPjJlo

Doonesbury

Don't even worry about it.
    Years
  • This happened to me once at my mom's house. There's only three bedroom's in the house, so I usually sleep on the couch when my sister is over as well as me. Anyway, I woke up one morning and couldn't move. Like, I could think perfectly fine, I just couldn't move at all. I couldn't even open my mouth to scream for help. It only lasted for like, 10 seconds but it was honestly one of the scariest things I've ever experienced.

To make things worse, I told my mom about it a few hours later and she immediately grabbed a flash light and checked to see how dilated my pupils were. >_>

clairefable

first class scamp
    Years
  • I used to get it quite a lot when I was still at school, though at the time I didn't know there was actually a name for it and thought I was just dreaming. It hasn't happened in a few years but as the above poster said it is pretty terrifying D:

molepeople27

Pumpkin King
    Years
  • This used to happen to my brother a lot when he was eight years-old. He normally would wake up from a really intense/lucid dream, and wouldn't be able to move his body for nearly 20-30 minutes; truly frightening. I have never fully experienced it myself, but I plan to. Trust me, I know it is HORRIBLE. I just am very curious; and I take think I can take it having gone through some pretty bad mental turmoils in my life.

Symphonic.x.Fantasia

Inactivity is a poison.
    Years
  • Think about this before you go through with it. How terrifying would it be to see, and know this is reality but have no movement or control over your own body besides looking around? You have to think about it that way.Worse still are the folks whom experience this during surgery. They feel every bit of the pain. And yet they can't move or speak to let the Doctor know they're feeling it.

Metatron

No guts, no glory
    Years
  • Nah, it's never happened to me before. I mean, there have been times that, while asleep, I felt like I was aware of my surroundings (semi-conscious, but not fully awake), but never to this extent.

...I imagine this would be quite horrifying D:

molepeople27

Pumpkin King
    Years
  • Think about this before you go through with it. How terrifying would it be to see, and know this is reality but have no movement or control over your own body besides looking around? You have to think about it that way.Worse still are the folks whom experience this during surgery. They feel every bit of the pain. And yet they can't move or speak to let the Doctor know they're feeling it.

I understand this completely. My heart is already in it, I want feel something no many other people do. I even once snorted wasbai, because a friend of mine told me it was "the most painful thing he ever had done." And true that may be, it shows how curious and willing I am to take on a frightening task.

Reality is a scary thing and mainly shooting for an OBE, but this is the first step; apparently. So, I'll let you know how it turns out :P

Missingno.7-4468

The Kazuka Party is for curry!
    Years
  • It happened to me a few weeks ago. The good thing is, I knew what it was, so it wasn't that bad, but the dreams I had before were pretty weird. The most frightening thing that happened in my dream is that I dreamed that I woke up with sleep paralysis, and I was hearing voices so loud that I thought people were yelling in my ear. Then I really woke up and I got sleep paralysis, like I said though, I actually knew what it was, so I calmeed myself down, and after a few seconds, it was over. It was pretty freaky though.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • If I may elaborate on why it happens... during the sleep cycle, right before REM, your brain cuts off the motor cortex portion of your brain, that controls movement. This makes sure you don't act out your dreams while lying in bed. Although, I don't believe we're completely sure why you hallucinate...

It's happened to me two or three times. Every now and again, I feel it coming, and I force myself out of it. I was one of those who hallucinated, and while I've heard about far worse, let me tell you, it's not fun. I think it ranks up there with night terrors as far as the fear factor is concerned.

$

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2010
    I have to admit it'd be pretty scary, but it's never happened to me.

KUROXFAI

in ure brain
    Years
  • this has happened to me on numerous occasions and i have never been freightend or anything it was just like when i was awake and everything i just couldnt move any of my body parts so i just settled back into my head and waited for like half-an-hour and then i could move again... i wasnt bad or anything like that and, i even try to make my self pop up in to Sleep paralysis all the time its realy fun the results u get when u try...
    and also let me elaborate on this condition
    Physiologically, sleep paralysis is closely related to the paralysis that occurs as a natural part of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, which is known as REM atonia. Sleep paralysis occurs when the brain awakes from a REM state, but the body paralysis persists. This leaves the person fully conscious, but unable to move. The paralysis can last from several seconds to several minutes "after which the individual may experience panic symptoms and the realization that the distorted perceptions were false".[5] As the correlation with REM sleep suggests, the paralysis is not entirely complete; use of EOG traces shows that eye movement can be instigated during such episodes.[6] When there is an absence of narcolepsy, sleep paralysis is referred to as isolated sleep paralysis (ISP).[7] "ISP appears to be far more common and recurrent among people of African descent than among whites or Nigerian Africans",[5] and is often referred to within African communities as "the Devil on your back."[8][9][10]
    In addition, the paralysis state may be accompanied by terrifying hallucinationshypnopompic or hypnagogic) and an acute sense of danger.[11] Sleep paralysis is particularly frightening to the individual because of the vividness of such hallucinations.[7]alien abductions and ghostly encounters.[12] A study by Susan Blackmore and Marcus Cox (the Blackmore-Cox study) of the University of the West of England supports the suggestion that reports of alien abductions are related to sleep paralysis rather than to temporal lobe lability.[13] ( The hallucinatory element to sleep paralysis makes it even more likely that someone will interpret the experience as a dream, since completely fanciful, or dream-like, objects may appear in the room alongside one's normal vision. Some scientists have proposed this condition as an explanation .
    Also, some cause have been speculated as

• Sleeping in a face upwards or supine position
    • Irregular sleeping schedules; naps, sleeping in, sleep deprivation
    • Increased stress
    • Sudden environmental/lifestyle changes
    • A lucid dream that immediately precedes the episode

Ayselipera

Its never happened to me, but my cousin gets it all the time.
    Sounds kind of scary though I don't know if I would want it to happen to me.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I had it like twice or something. I get it and nightmares whenever I lie face up, soo.. just don't do it anymore.

Though I only remember when my teacher strangled me in my dream, and ... yeah, lead to that. XD

Pretty sure I couldn't open my eyes during that time.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • This has happened to me, but usually I can figure out what's happening so I don't panic too much. One of the tricks I do is try to close my eyes as tight as possible (your eyes don't get paralyzed when you're asleep) and I can usually get out of the nightmare/sleep paralysis. It might work for you to, so try it out if you get the opportunity.

Sleep paralysis sucks. One time, I couldn't move and I thought my window was an evil face (the way the drapes hang, they look kind of like eyes), so that was pretty scary. Sleep paralysis is apparently to blame for a lot of reported alien abductions.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    and I thought my window was an evil face (the way the drapes hang, they look kind of like eyes), so that was pretty scary. Sleep paralysis is apparently to blame for a lot of reported alien abductions.

Turn on the lights if you get fear. In last sleep paralysis experiences, I only got fear of dark.

Back