• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen "Smell Ya Later!": The Rival Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
  • females!
    And not one of those gary types, with the excpetion of FR/LG/R/B/Y.
    Its like he was stealthy...always slipping past us and ahead.
    like .EJ said

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    I think there should be a female rival if you're playing as a girl, and a male rival if you're a boy. I also want your counterpart to be a rival. But not a goody two-shoe mentor one like Dawn or May.

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
  • I think there should be a female rival if you're playing as a girl, and a male rival if you're a boy. I also want your counterpart to be a rival. But not a goody two-shoe mentor one like Dawn or May.

As long as there is a third person to be Gray or whatever. I really don't want to see anyone like Emerald ever again in Pokemon Special. Ekk...

Major_Tom

Ground control to Major Tom
    Years
  • This Idea sounds amazing, it would work so well! I could see the last fight, your rival just snaps and takes out his rage on you, then attacks you with a high leveled team of Pokemon! Or what about this, what if your rival was a nice person, but joined the evil team later on, but you didn't learn about it until you arrived at the evil team's base, and see your rival their chatting with the boss. That would be interesting too, but your idea sounds better. :D
    I thought the same thing but instead of becoming good like some suggested he could take over the evil group in the third version of the game. Or he could dissapear and in future generations he could make his return.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I want a rival who is tough but not rude and act's like gary and is your older Brother who later becomes the champion! I want my rival to fight me on the way to
    victory road and later goes on ahead and you then think that's the last you see of him until you finish the game until after you beat the E4 you realize that your rival and brother became the champion!

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    That's also a good rival. The inspirational, older one that you constantly look up to and model yourself after.

Eventually surpassing him at the end when he's champion, that would be awesome.

Years
  • I want a rival that is like how Gary was. I don't really like the nice rivals like the ones in the third generation, because then they don't really feel like rivals to me... So yeah, a rival like Gary would do it for me.

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
  • That's also a good rival. The inspirational, older one that you constantly look up to and model yourself after.

Eventually surpassing him at the end when he's champion, that would be awesome.
    Yes, a big brother type would be cool, where he really does go easy on you in all the battles. In stead of friendly, he'd be more caring, yet still superior and strong. He'd always tell you that you need to be stronger if you want to beat the pokemon league. In the end, when you surprass him, he could say he's proud of you, but also frustrated with himself. I dunno.

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    That big brother thing is sort of like Lance in GSCHGSS.

Shuckleman

The Awesome
    Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    Rival=Professor, Professor=Rival. Nuff said.

He has BOTH of the starters you didn't pick....

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I would really enjoy a female rival in the middle of Silver and Blue when it comes to attitude. One that thinks she's better than you, you'll never compare to her, one that's willing to do anything to get what she wants, one that's relentless and one that's demanding. Basically a mean, spoiled, ill-spirited rival who wants to crush you anytime she comes to contact with you and is disgusted with your standards. One that finds you humorous to battle simply because she sees you as a joke. I'd be interesting to have your rival be related to you, as well!! I don't like the whole "oh they grew up together always being rivals" type of plot behind them. I want one that really has some depth. Something that happened between the two to fuel that rivalry.

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
  • I want a rival that starts out as your best friend, and worthy adversary, but as the game progresses, he gets more and more jealous of your growing fame and exceptional skill that he slowly becomes more and more of a jerk and resentful towards you, until you beat him at the Pokemon League, snapping him out of his funk and rekindling your friendship.

Reminds me of Star Wars...your rival, to the dark side he turned...hmm....XD

I actually used this line (Thread title) on Facebook just a few minutes ago lol.

I agree with Izanaga, but I would like to see maybe a more influential thing like KOTOR. For once, why can't I be evil and influence others to be evil, or be good, and then bring the rival back to the good in the end. I mean there is no force, but there are still emotions and thoughts.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    I wouldn't mind having a mean rival and a friendly rival... One of them being the other player character, of course. :P But I'd like to be able to battle with both... Not like Lucas/Dawn, where you battle with them, but never against them.

Also, please, please PLEASE nothing like Lyra/Ethan! I hated them, I really did. They were so pointless. D:

tylerab01

Pokemon AquaHarmony
    Years
  • I want a rival that starts out as your best friend, and worthy adversary, but as the game progresses, he gets more and more jealous of your growing fame and exceptional skill that he slowly becomes more and more of a jerk and resentful towards you, until you beat him at the Pokemon League, snapping him out of his funk and rekindling your friendship.

I love that idea, it sounds very good :p

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Yes, a big brother type would be cool, where he really does go easy on you in all the battles. In stead of friendly, he'd be more caring, yet still superior and strong. He'd always tell you that you need to be stronger if you want to beat the pokemon league. In the end, when you surprass him, he could say he's proud of you, but also frustrated with himself. I dunno.

Yeah, he would probably express his surprise at how we beat him and finally reached an entirely new level of battling.

I really don't like the pseudo-rivals (Dawn/Lucas or Ethan/Lyra).

Years
  • Id rather your opposite gender be your rival. as much as ppl won't like it, id rather have a jerk for a rival, it would give me more inspiration to defeat them than if they were my friend.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Like Timbjerr said so long ago, it would be neat to have a rival with a changing personality. Like, all of the rivals we have now are just so boring and generic. They don't evolve, they don't learn, they don't understand, they don't change. I want to see a good guy get evil and then understand. I want to see something interesting.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back