• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Smoking around very young kids.

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
Years
  • Today when I was waiting out in the car for my parents at the supermarket, I noticed a lady, she was young like maybe thirties...or something. Anyway, she had a small infant, a little boy and a little girl both under six I'd say. Anyway, I noticed her smoking while she was putting her groceries in her car and she heard small infant in its carrier sitting in the car...which brings up a question.

She then had a friend come over to hold the baby and it was pretty small, not even close to a year old...it was still a newborn.

Do you think parents should smoke when they don't have young kids around? I mean especially an infant. o_o I saw that and I thought it was sick because even an infant, that smoke can be very deadly and cause problems...

What do you think about this? :<

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Definitely not. Smoking around someone at such a young and fragile age? Taking in the fact that secondhand smoke is 2-3 times more poisonous than the smoke that is being inhaled by the smoker itself, the parent should definitely NOT smoke around someone who is at such a young and fragile state, especially their children.

When I was young, I was mostly taken care of by my grandmother. She was a smoke addict and smoked around two packs a day or so. I got covered in her cigarette breath according to my mom; I have no real recollection of that moment myself though because I was so young.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • No one should smoke in the first place...But especially not around children. It's just plain immoral, and there's a very good chance that you're doing the child harm. Actually, forget immoral...it should be against the law. *nods*

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Being someone with asthma, I'm against smoking around anyone who doesn't smoke. Well, then again, I'm against smoking period. But it's a shame because regardless of what people think, parents will still continue to do so. My father on the occasion smokes with me near him, and I get rather aggravated with that and yell at him for smoking with me around him; much less, it was in the car.

Sadly, I don't think a law banning parents from smoking around children (of any age) would work out all that well. I mean, I realize that they are slowly starting to ban smoking at some places, but I just don't see it happening as much as I want it to happen. I mean, there's no way to regulate whether or not someone would be doing that in their own home with their children. Things would just be a hell of a lot better without tobacco to ruin the minds of people these days - both young and new seeing as how younger and younger people are starting to smoke.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I have asthma as well no one with asthma should be around somebody when there smoking much less a unclosed space such as a car. I dont think people should be smoking around children of any age period I would not want to see a kid ill because of second hand smoke. Is it to much of a hassle to walk outside and smoke.Thats what my grandparents did when I went over so if they can do it anyone could.

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • Well, this was while putting her groceries into the car. It wasnt that she was in the car.

I have allergies and the secondhand smoke is really awful on allergies. >_>

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Smoking in the first place is both disgusting and unhealthy, but to do it in the presence of kids?
    That can both be unhealthy for them, and also if they are old enough, have psychological problems on them...

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
  • Smoking in the first place is both disgusting and unhealthy, but to do it in the presence of kids?
    That can both be unhealthy for them, and also if they are old enough, have psychological problems on them...

This basically says it all, I saw an ad about smoking, which my school voted on anyway.
    It was about people smoking, the first scene was a group of workers playing cards, and they were smoking except for one, the smoke turned into a cobra and stung the guy.
    The second scene was a mum smoking near a baby, the same thing happened, the cobra bit the baby.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I took in smoke as a child and didn't care, so I'd smoke around children. I mean, I woudn't blatantly do it, but I'm not about to put a fag out if a child comes near me.
    Babies on the other hand, it's simply unfair to smoke around them 'cause they can't walk away or anything, 'nough said.

I don't smoke, by the way.

Years
  • I think there should be more laws until eventually the world stops smoking, if I do sound radical well its only because smoking does not only kill people.
    It is that addictive that you can not stop that is why smoking should not even be an option for people!

Years
  • I took in smoke as a child and didn't care, so I'd smoke around children. I mean, I woudn't blatantly do it, but I'm not about to put a fag out if a child comes near me.
    Babies on the other hand, it's simply unfair to smoke around them 'cause they can't walk away or anything, 'nough said.

I don't smoke, by the way.

Agreed. ^

I mean, even a small child can still walk away. I wouldn't light one up around children, but I also wouldn't go through the trouble of putting one out if ever a child approached me. Infants on the other hand, are too young to even realize what they're inhaling, not too mention they're unable to walk away (yes, as Cassino said). However I highly doubt they're going to make it illegal to smoke around children; it just isn't going to happen.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Worst thing you could ever
    do. :<

If your a smoke addict, then
    at least try to know not to
    smoke near infants, or any kid
    at least under 7 or 8. It could
    also cause second-hand smoke,
    which is one thing that most smokers
    don't realize. They're so into smoking,
    they're too stupid to even realize there
    is a kid right there! >:O

My dad quit for like, 4 months now. My
    mom still smokes unfortunately, but outside.
    Thought she still smokes inside sometimes,
    which my dad hates, because he's still kind
    of tempted to smoke again. Her smoking
    inside is making it worse.

sgtkira

KIRA
    Years
  • Well in my opinion you should be allowed to smoke..thing is if your aprund the child you SHOULD warn them that it is bad for you and ect etc and that mommy or daddy or auntie etc etc made a choice that they DON'T have to make, now to the health issue, you shouldn't do it because they ARE kids and they have NOT made the choice yet :/ YES they could walk away but if they are an infant then you shuld REALLY be talked to about how bad that is :( I mean the child isn't even old enough to get away from it :/ my mom used to smoke but she tried to do it in the hallway (we had an apartment) where it wouldn't get near me :) I smelled it later but still :) hahaha

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    Smoking around toddlers, as in 3-4 years old...is sickening. They don't know what they're inhaling, and if you can't be arsed to put it out, just move away.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I don't like smoking in general but I hate when I see people smoking in front of little children. I a;ways take my aunts kids to a separate place when she has a smoke. I think it is fine if people want to smoke but they should do it in their own homes and no where else. Why is it fair for people that don't smoke to have to inhale all that filth that harms them more than the actual smoker.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
  • Yeah, I agree that it's bad to smoke around kids and babies. But should it really be against the law? The smoker usually has legs, they can walk away. Or they can save the smoke for later.

Back