• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen "Smugleaf" as Tsutaaja's English name [ #4 ]

Your thoughts on the name "Smugleaf"?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cataclysmic

A New Adventure
Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2015
    I doubt they'll actually use the name Smugleaf, but I don't guess I'd mind it if they did.

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
    Years
  • If his name is gonna be Smugleaf then there'll probably be some smartbottom who'll make the Smuglocke Challenge. ...Don't look at me now.

But yeah, it's a stupid name. Something with snake in the name would be better. I hope his name is gonna have 'vine' in it, because he's a green vine snake, vine has something to do with the grass type, and it could be corrupted with venom, a snake's poison.
    Like Vinom. XD

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    If GF come up with English names as disappointing as some of the 5th generation pokemon, then the name Smugleaf would be great! It would be pretty funny as well.

However, thinking about it, it doesn't roll of the toung. G and L just don't seem to work. To be honest, Ivley would be a good name for me, as people seem to be obsessed with including Ivy in the name, and it looks like it may be quite lively ;)

Last edited:

Koh

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2011
    Seriously, who started the SmugLeaf chain? It's not so appealing as everyone makes it sound.

Years
  • No. No. No. NO. That is not a creative enough name. It's just two words next to each other without any attempt to mix them. If that name gets used they may as well go with Hotpig for Pokabu and Sadshell for Mijumaru because they would be just as good bad.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • No. No. No. NO. That is not a creative enough name. It's just two words next to each other without any attempt to mix them. If that name gets used they may as well go with Hotpig for Pokabu and Sadshell for Mijumaru because they would be just as good bad.

Well, "Smugleaf" should consider itself lucky, then! :cer_laugh: Some Pokemon only get one noun/verb/adjective to their name without any changes! Gloom, Golem, Ditto, Mew...

Anyway, I'm still undecided. Perhaps it could be left as Tsutarja... :\

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Smugleaf is so unoriginal. Taking its smug look and the leaf on its tail together is something pretty much anyone can come up with; probably explains why it caught on so quickly. If it were to be dubbed that name, then yeah, I'd be disappointed. :\

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • I'd lol, definitely. I'd crack up, maybe. But I'd also cringe. Ninty, Ninty, Ninty...

But they deffs need to call Daikenki Samurai Dialga Narwhal with a Beard.

Charizard203

Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2019
    I'd be really annoyed at the stupid Pokemon Company because Tsutarja is awesome and no offense Smugleaf is a sucky name

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • Well, "Smugleaf" should consider itself lucky, then! :cer_laugh: Some Pokemon only get one noun/verb/adjective to their name without any changes! Gloom, Golem, Ditto, Mew...

Anyway, I'm still undecided. Perhaps it could be left as Tsutarja... :\

Yeah but they still flow well. If Meowth were called like 'Cat'. That wouldn't.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I never really thought Smugleaf had much thought and creativity used for an English name to Tsutaja, so I would be pretty disappointed if it were to be named that. I do however would like to know if the name GameFreak will come up with (if not Smugleaf) will be any better, as I'm hoping so, although I highly doubt it would end up being Smugleaf anyway. Smugleaf is basically just a theory created by someone out of appearance that caught on to others. It's too generic for my liking as well, but I am eager to find out the real English name it will turn out to have, and if it will be a step up or down towards the name Smugleaf. If Tsutaja's English name does end up becoming Smugleaf, I'd be a bit shocked at first, but also disappointed at GameFreak's ingenuity. ;\

Detox

Honestly, if they named it Smugleaf in the English version, I would so buy it just for that.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    It wouldn't bother me that much, as Smugleaf would become a Janovy pretty quickly, then I don't ever need to bother with the name again, like I never bother with Magmar now I have a lovely Magmortar. It would annoy me a little to find that Game Freak actually used a fan name, and a pretty poor one at that. I would be less (or not at all) disappointed if they use Pignition or Emboar for the fire piggies, but smugleaf... No. Just... no.

Years
  • Whoah people. Down. It's just a name!

Smugleaf is actually a very good fan name... one that is better than some "official" names. Some of the names I've seen thrown around, like Snivy (get it? snake + ivy LOLZ) are just unwieldy. Smugleaf is easy to remember, quickly identifies the pokemon in question, and flows really well. I don't LOVE the name, but I wouldn't be disappointed by it. The only name that I would be really disappointed with would be "Wotter."

As for those who are saying "keep the Japanese." Well, honestly... go play the Japanese game. I'm playing it now, and I love it. But Pokemon has always had plays on words for the names of its monsters, and to leave them untranslated makes it REALLY easy to miss that.

Or are you still convinced that Squirtle's name is Zenigame?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back