• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So..can anyone actually explain the hatred amongst Dawn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowYashi

A secret makes a woman a woman
    Years
    Ehhh I like Dawn and Misty and May equally, all three are great characters. I find nothing wrong with her character. The only character that annoy's me is Pikachu, but only when he gets to OHKO's ground types for no damn reason and none of the other electric type's can't.

Aww I thought Ritchie was adorable =3 I never understood the Tracey hate and the TR Trio is just awesome... I just wish Meowth could beat Pikachu in a battle just once... scratch him up realllll good. Then I'll be happy =3 I also don't get why people hate Paul... what, just cause he's a bit of a jerk and releases weak pokemon and is a bit more of an ass than Kanto Gary, people seem to loathe him... but I think he's probably the best Rival for Ash, only seconded to Gary (cause Gary and his Umbreon pwns Ash and Pikachu six ways from sunday, no matter how much he trains) to date and I pray to god, that he doesn't turn into some sympathetic... I've-seen-the-light-and-I won't-be-a-dick-and-treat-pokemon-like-crap-anymore-cause-Ash-beat-me-in-a-league-battle.

Am I the only one who misses Gary being the snarky jerk of a rival from way back when? But then again, if Gary was stil his rival, we wouldn't get the awesomeness that is Paul, I mean its a change from all the nice-guy rival's, Paul's a straight up jerk and his view clash with Ash's, what's not to love... but I'm getting off topic >.>;;;

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2009
    I actually really hate the anime for Pokemon, from Hoenn on it got really pathetic, but I do have to agree with you in some way.

Roxasabridged

Lucariowner
    Years
    Y'know, I never even noticed May had 'big breast' and even if she did, who cares? It's an anime, she's not real.

Anyways, I haven't seen much of D/P so I can't say much about Dawn except I don't really like her much... Doesn't seem all that great a character.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Ehhh I like Dawn and Misty and May equally, all three are great characters. I find nothing wrong with her character. The only character that annoy's me is Pikachu, but only when he gets to OHKO's ground types for no damn reason and none of the other electric type's can't.

I think it's happened beyond Electric-ground too. I think ghost moves have harmed normal types. But the past few years they've been a lot more consistent with that type of stuff. Some of it may be left up to interperation though, since a Pokemon's typing and/or ability aren't necessarily the same in the anime and the games. Example: Electivire and electric attacks. It takes "very little damage" but doesn't absorb them like in the games.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Y'know, I never even noticed May had 'big breast' and even if she did, who cares? It's an anime, she's not real.
    I don't see it.
    Spoiler:
    Roxas, nothing after this spoiler is directed specifically at you.

Nor do I see why they should be judged on by the way they dress.
    Spoiler:

Nor by the fan service the writers give us.
    Spoiler:

That said, characters should only be judged by their actions and their personalities. Since Hikari is still a character on the show, we don't know how she'll turn out in the end. Will she be a nervous wreck? An over-confident coördinator? Until then, I can't say that I hate her because I don't know how she'll turn out at the end. Many people outside of the demographic hated Haruka at her debut but many of those same people turned into fans of her.

Basically, I think that saying you hate a character before they finish their run is premature even though many people, myself included, do it anyway.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Well, I don't know about everyone else, but this is why I hate Hikari/Dawn/whatever:

• Her skirt is too short; she's 10 for God's sakes!
    • She's like a generic Haruka/May except with no character development.
    • She cares too much about appearances.
    • She sucks in general.
    • She's really, really annoying.
    • She always complains when her hair gets messed up.
    • One word: Piplup.
    • Another word: Pachirisu. Not because she had one, but because she released it and then tried to get it back, only to proceed to get mad at Team Rocket because they wanted it. It was wild. WILD!! Fair game.
    • IkariShipping. He's mine, sister! *z-snap*
    • PearlShipping. She's only paired with him because they're the main characters. PenguinShipping and AbilityShipping are definitely better.
    • She's always gotta be the damsel in distress (See: Rise of Darkrai).

I could go on, but then I'd be ranting. Hope this clears some stuff up for at least me. But not everyone hates her, so. .​

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024

Honestly, I never noticed either.. I mean, all three of main females have the same breast sizes, because it seems to be the default for most of the shows female characters. To me all three of them seemed fairly flat-chested. o_O Especially when compared to how young girls have been drawn other anime series. If May's seemed bigger, it might just be her outfit, or different angles.. but I never noticed.

Still, Dawn's breasts (or lack their of..) should be no reason to dislike her character. o_o That would be my opinion, anyway.

& You know you're lacking sleep when can argue about the breast size of Pokemon characters, so I'm gonna get going for the night. :/

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Aww I thought Ritchie was adorable =3

It's not that people hate the character. It's just his character started the (IMO) annoying trend of "Hi. I'm goint to befriend you right before the League, but I'll end up beating you later. Oh, and I battle just like you but I'm responsible unlike you *wink*"

Basically, he's Ash, except more responsible (Pokeball seals).

I just wish Meowth could beat Pikachu in a battle just once...

Meowth pretty much considers himself above battling except when the story calls for it. Considering he refuses to learn Pay Day, I don't think he'll be beating much besides Brox' Onix with Fury Swipes.

but I think he's probably the best Rival for Ash,

EXACTLY! Someone who gets it.

You don't need to like Paul to enjoy his character. He's great because he's actually different from Ash, acts as a great foil. All of Ash's other rivals basically were very similar to Ash in training methods, bonded with Pokemon, etc...

Really, Gary's overconfidence was his downfall. He probably knew it too. I also question how sincere his overconfidence was, considering Ash and him are childhood friends.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    She has 2 normal Pokemon. Though, one of them leaves in one episode, so it's OK now. The hatred is, because she is so whiny.

Spoiler:

There's also Ambipom leaving just like Primeape did.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    The hatred is, because she is so whiny.

This was a specific character arc that was themed around her sulkng around. She's learned to deal with loss after her battle with Maylene.

Of course, why count it against her when she acts like a normal 10 year old.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2011
    I don't really hate Dawn and I haven't heard that much hatred for her character around other forums. I just kind of find her more annoying as a trainer. While she does participate in Contests, I feel like she hasn't really been using her team that much other than Piplup. I did like her at the start of D/P, but I became more annoyed with her as she used mostly Piplup and barely used her other Pokemon.

I still forget that she caught a Swinbu since it has not done a thing since she caught it. I only watch the dub, but I hear of things that have happen to her team recently.

I feel that she hasn't really developed as a character. Granted, it is Pokemon, but by the time May had five Pokemon, she had become a trainer who didn't really like Pokemon to a trainer finding her calling with Contests. While I'm not expecting the exact same results from Dawn, considering that there are quite a few differences between how she started and how May started out, I feel like she's still the same kind of character we saw from start of the saga. She isn't as inexperience as she was then, but I don't think that she's really grown that much either.

If Dawn started using more of her other Pokemon or taught them some new moves, then I probably wouldn't be as annoyed with her. She's okay and she obviously cares about her Pokemon, but I do get annoyed with her about her skills as a trainer at times.

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
    Years
    Woah, talk about getting out of hand.

*looks at Psyburn*

Dude, you just started a war.

Anyways, I like Misty, May, and Dawn. While I was a bit mad about Misty being replaced by May, she eventually grew on me. I wasn't mad about May being replaced by Dawn though. I figure this will be what the series as an anime will do, replacing the main female character with a girl from the next generation of Pokemon games.

I do admit that Dawn's skirt is a bit too short for a kid's show, but who cares? It is an anime people!

Years
    While I was a bit mad about Misty being replaced by May, she eventually grew on me. I wasn't mad about May being replaced by Dawn though. I figure this will be what the series as an anime will do, replacing the main female character with a girl from the next generation of Pokemon games.

I felt the same way, dude.

I don't know why people hate Dawn. Maybe there are those, who are hardcore Misty/May fans, don't like Dawn. I have no problem with Dawn. I like how she's a little more relaxed than the previous two and that she's not flirty with Ash. Sure, she can be a little obsessed with her hair, but what other girly girl isn't? I like how they are giving Dawn shipping options such as Kenny, that Pearl dude, and Gary. For once, a girl who is traveling with Ash likes Gary! :) (I say this because she likes Gary's poetry + b/c their outfits match! How cute!) (Dawn/Gary shipper here.)

Besides, what's wrong with a prepubescent ten year old wearing a skirt? It's not like she is in high school dressed like that. And she is wearing boots with it thus covering up her legs more than the first two. Honestly, how can people find a show starring 10-11 year olds and pokemon "sexual?" I personally think it's wrong to think that way about this show.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    From what I've seen of the DP episodes, I can say that Dawn's actually a decent character. I can't compare her to May, since I haven't watched the seasons with her in it, but I'd say Dawn's more likable than Misty was. She's the one I found annoying. Sure Dawn's hair obsession and tantrums are annoying, but they fit her character. Dawn also seems like someone who'd be easier to get along with than Misty, as well as someone who's more open-minded.

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
    Years
    I felt the same way, dude.

I don't know why people hate Dawn. Maybe there are those, who are hardcore Misty/May fans, don't like Dawn. I have no problem with Dawn. I like how she's a little more relaxed than the previous two and that she's not flirty with Ash. Sure, she can be a little obsessed with her hair, but what other girly girl isn't? I like how they are giving Dawn shipping options such as Kenny, that Pearl dude, and Gary. For once, a girl who is traveling with Ash likes Gary! :) (I say this because she likes Gary's poetry + b/c their outfits match! How cute!) (Dawn/Gary shipper here.)

Besides, what's wrong with a prepubescent ten year old wearing a skirt? It's not like she is in high school dressed like that. And she is wearing boots with it thus covering up her legs more than the first two. Honestly, how can people find a show starring 10-11 year olds and pokemon "sexual?" I personally think it's wrong to think that way about this show.

I agree with you as well. I just wish a few more people think about this like we and few others have...

Psyburn

Is not Kazaam
    Years
    Woah, talk about getting out of hand.

*looks at Psyburn*

Dude, you just started a war.

Its a curse im afraid :P

Exactly. Design choices for a character should not be the equivalent of the overall quality of the character. If people are simply citing a skirt as to why a character is "bad", then you have no real complaints against the character........ rather than you being pissed that she replaced an earlier companion. And Also, complaining about sexuality in japanese cartoons is probably a waste of time, especially since there are actually other shows where girls as young as 6 get raped.

HOW COULD YOU DISS THE CUTEST MOUSE IN THE WORLD!?

When the little rodent is shoved down my throat 24/7, it deserves my wrath.

Dawn's non-dubbed name...

Why...why do people insist on using non dubbed names?

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I don't hate Dawn, I like her, although she isn't really one of my favourite characters. I like how she's girly and cares how her hair looks because it's quite funny when you contrast it with Ash who doesn't care at all and doesn't see why he should because he wears a hat XD Although, in a future episode when his hair goes poofy, he cares just as much as Dawn XD

Why...why do people insist on using non dubbed names?

Because they watch the Japanese version :P

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
    Same here. I don't hate her. I liked her overreacting personality at the start of the series, but lately that has disappeared into thin air. She's an OK character in my book.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back