• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen So, do you SR for shiny legends? (And why?)

Do you SR (soft-reset) for shiny legends?

• Total voters

Exon

Hacker in Training
Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    I'm in a very inquisitive mood right now, so....how do you feel about SR'ing (Soft-Reseting) for Shiny legendaries? Do you do it? Only the static one? What about the runners? If not, then why? Do you feel it's a waste of time? Just say what your thoughts are on doing it, this is meant to be a nice discussion so please no flamming/trolling ;)

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • most of the time i will, unless i am really impatient that day then i wont. i hate trying to catch the running legendarys, i have such a hard time finding them. so once i find them i just catch them. though i would like a shiny cresselia.

Exon

Hacker in Training
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    I usually try to do both myself. I wasn't going to on my Platinum, well..the runners anyway, but I found my Diamond so I can still chain and stuff in the way. In the end, I think shiny runners are special enough to be worth the couple days of effort that have to be put into them.

I caught my mesprit early, but I wanted my National Dex lol. I plan to do so for the birds and cresselia though. (Lol, a week+ of sr'ing here I come!!!)

Lt_Nite

GnR for life!
    Years
  • I honestly just don't have the patience lol I started to for Regirock in Plat but gave up just can't do it.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Thanks for reminding me to SR shiny Cresselia eventually. I want my own shiny Giratina too. >:<

So yeah, I do sometimes SR for legends (I have caught 3 shiny legends, all in Emerald, none in DPPt...). One took about 4 days, another 11 months, and the next idk, it was almost random but I was trying, haha. I like these more than some of my chained/RNG'd shinies, as they took more effort.

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2014
    NO! For most of them, i don't do it cuz it's a total waste of time. And THAT's because some of the shiny versions look worse than the originals! For the ones that do look better (like Entei) i only SR if i have a masterball i'm prepared to spare (so no Shiny Mewtwo, the legendary dogs in Fire Red {AND Crystal} are way too difficult. Lati@s is waaaay easier, so i don't mind i shiny Rauquaza.)

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • I tried this with Giratina, after like 4 turns (xD) I gave up. It should be easier to do on DSi (the turning off bit) so I might try it with the three Birds or Heatran since I've already seen Creselia.

xPsychosocial

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
    Years
  • Never tried it. It seems far too time consuming for me. I don't even bother reseting for natures either. I might try to soft rest for a shiny Ho-Oh when I get Heart Gold though.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
  • Yup, I'm SRing for Kyogre right now. Though i'm really impatient cause i want to beat the elite 4 :((((

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I do recall SR'ing for a Shiny Giratina in Pokémon Pearl, but never succeeded. I gave it enough tries before I decided to give up, and decided shiny resetting for legendaries wasn't really my thing. However, of course, to succeed in something you have to try so I went ahead again and I caught my shiny. Although I restarted my game, I'll keep in mind it takes patience to do this. Perhaps I will decide to try it again someday but right now my mind is too taken up in the Battle Tower. 8D;

Also, I have to agree with some of the above, it is time consuming. But when you finally succeed after your patience, you're rewarded. It's more time consuming then chaining, so at the end you at least feel some satisfaction and a little bit of arrogance.

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
  • In Emerald and Platinum (and probably HGSS when I get those games) I find it ok.

However, in FireRed, with that annoying journal popping up all the time (screw it! they shouldn't have included it - or at least they should have an option to turn it off in some way, but NO!) I don't bother.

I did SR for a shiny Azelf for quite some time, but I got one from ~RNC~, thankfully.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • I just decided to try SR on my platinum game for the first time. Still working on that shiny Giratina a month and a half later. Whether or not I'll keep doing it depends on how long and painful it turns out to be, but I like the way the way shiny Giratina looks enough that this time will definitely be worth it.

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
  • I can't bring myself to do it. I got bored after just 1 reset. I'm very impatient when it comes to video games.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014
    i thought SRing for a nature was hard lol, i tried for a shiny groudon in emeral... wasted about 3-4hours... then just caught the thing...

how long does it take for SR ing for a shiny legend?

AsaQuilava

Monstreaux
    Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2012
    God. I tried to SR for a shiny Uxie and then I realized something... my DS is so beat up that the top buttons don't work, so I have to actually turn the whole thing off and on again. I should have expected that, considering it's been dropped down rocky shores and lit on fire, but it was still disappointing. ;__; That takes too long for me, but if I ever get a new DS I'll definitely SR for the statics. Never the roaming ones. You must be crazy patient for that o.o

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
  • I've thought about doing it, but I learned about it after getting all in game event Pokemon on Platinum. So good fight Pokemon. :D

Master Exploder

AGHHHHHHHH
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2011
    I've tried before, got to about my 4th reset and gave up. In my opinion it's just not worth spending the time and effort when you could possibly be doing it for a week (or more)

Back