• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So, I'm curious

Amilyia

.:~*Amilyia*~:.
Years
  • I know we each have our favorite starter pokemon that we use over and over, but when you start a new game and you have a choice of fire, grass(Sorry I put earth. I figured it wouldn't make a difference.) or water, do you find your self choosing the same type over and over? For example when I start a new game I always pick fire. So, I'm curious to find out what most people pick. So what do you choose always? Fire, Water or Grass?

Last edited:

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
    Years
  • by earth u mean grass right ??....anyways..no i don't go with a single type....i usually go with the one which appeals me the most...

Ricky429

Turtwig lovers unite!!!
    Years
  • I usually pick the fire type when a new game comes out thats part of the next gen but since hoenn ive picked the grass starter. Whichever looks the best in the final evo is also a deciding factor too.

Prison Mike

I'm here to scare you straight
    Years
  • There's no earth starter type. I chose wichever one appeals to me most. I liked piplup and chimchar on platinum but I chose chimchar cuz I wanted a buizel so that would be my water type :) I don't chose the grass type starter anymore since my bad experience with chickorita...

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Insert random filler here.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well if I can't deciede I will always pick fire, but the last two generations I have been picking water for some reason lol must be some wierd things going on inside my head

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • I try to change with every game, it keeps it a little more interesting. In Ruby I ended up picking Fire, Pearl I picked Grass, Platinum I picked Fire and Water in SoulSilver. If I get Diamond I imagine I'll pick Water and Grass in HeartGold.

xJordan360

plurfection.
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 2, 2014
    I'm a devout fire user, yet, somehow, I ended up getting Totodile in HGSS. Even though I've always used Fire starters.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I never go by type. I choose my starter based on my favourite Pokémon of the three and disregard the type. But I have an interesting pattern going. :>

Kanto -> Fire
    Johto -> Water
    Hoenn -> Fire
    Sinnoh -> Water

I seem to alternate between fire and water (sorry grass types!) so I guess we'll see in gen 5 if I pick fire again to continue that. :p

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • I never pick Fire Starter, I have issues with them, like I don't like them...
    Crystal - Chikorita, only one I could stand the look of.
    Sapphire - the Grass one, looked cool.
    Emerald - Mudkip <3 and Mudkip ever since.
    Diamond - Piplup was cute :3
    Platinum - I had all of them, oddly enough, non grew quickly, like they do from trades... they weren't hacked, I remember trading... hmmm... and I was able to them... I'm thinking deeply now... it'd be easier if I oculd find the game, to see what happened... aargh!!! What's the answer... Unless, I traded from my DS to my freind's, then traded back. Does that make sense? Is the trainer ID always the same on eachgame card, like even if you restart, you have the same number? Please help... :)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I never pick Fire Starter, I have issues with them, like I don't like them...
    Crystal - Chikorita, only one I could stand the look of.
    Sapphire - the Grass one, looked cool.
    Emerald - Mudkip <3 and Mudkip ever since.
    Diamond - Piplup was cute :3
    Platinum - I had all of them, oddly enough, non grew quickly, like they do from trades... they weren't hacked, I remember trading... hmmm... and I was able to them... I'm thinking deeply now... it'd be easier if I oculd find the game, to see what happened... aargh!!! What's the answer... Unless, I traded from my DS to my freind's, then traded back. Does that make sense? Is the trainer ID always the same on eachgame card, like even if you restart, you have the same number? Please help... :)
    Every time you restart, your ID should be different. (Even if you somehow go against the odds and the trainer ID is the same, there's a hidden ID it uses as well, and the chances of both of them being the same are near impossible).

Are you sure you didn't trade eggs over and hatch them? o.o

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • All of my starters have been fire types. I've just noticed it while thinking back at my choices over the years. I don't know why, I mean yeah I like fire types a lot but some water and grass types also appeal to me. In my last playthrough of Pokemon Heart Gold, I chose Totodile, however my game got wiped accidentally so I decided to go with Cyndaquil as I did in my original Silver.

Edit: I didn't even notice this was in my forum - I thought it was in Heart Gold and Soul Silver. Anyway, this belongs more in General Pokemon Gaming so I'll move it there.

Amilyia

.:~*Amilyia*~:.
    Years
  • Alright. I'm sorry that I put Earth as Grass. Figured it wouldn't make a different because when I think of earth I think of grass. My mistake. Couldn't think of it at the time.

But interesting enough. I do agree with the fact that fire hits fast and hard. I never really liked water pokemon and grass to me was just too weak.

Now, I'm going to throw this into the mix. Do you think the reason why you choose the starter pokemon for each game is because of your astrological sign? For example mine is Sagittarius which is a fire sign.

This is not to get off topic. If you don't want to participate in the astrological signs you can still answer with which starter pokemon you picked.

All of my starters have been fire types. I've just noticed it while thinking back at my choices over the years. I don't know why, I mean yeah I like fire types a lot but some water and grass types also appeal to me. In my last playthrough of Pokemon Heart Gold, I chose Totodile, however my game got wiped accidentally so I decided to go with Cyndaquil as I did in my original Silver.

Edit: I didn't even notice this was in my forum - I thought it was in Heart Gold and Soul Silver. Anyway, this belongs more in General Pokemon Gaming so I'll move it there.

I could have sworn I put it in General Pokemon Gaming...Hm...I did it on my phone so maybe thats what happened.

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • During the first two generations, I fluctuated between all three, but since R/S, I've had the tendency to choose the grass starter more often. I suppose it has a lot to do with Treecko's design, and maybe a little bit to do with my Overgrow + Absorb/Mega Drain stall strategy that I've come to love. XD

Despite this, I still favor Cyndaquil over Chikorita in HG...I just never liked Meganium's design. D:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I've alternated between Water and Fire, and it's usually based on their final form and how cool they look. I'm not a big user of Grass-types in general, and Meganium was the only Grass-type starter I ever considered - too bad I like Typhlosion more.

RuRuBell

Beeef
    Years
  • I just pick my Pokemon based on its looks...though I just realized that I never pick grass Pokemon. I guess because they're fairly abundant, and Oddish is my favourite. I guess I normally lean towards Fire, since they're harder to come by and quite powerful.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I don't pick based on type. I pick based on which design I like best. I've also picked at least one of each type, so I'm not really inclined towards any of the three.

Charmander
    Totodile
    Treecko
    ...and I didn't always pick the same Sinnoh starter

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • It sorta depends. I never picked bulbasaur, chickorita, or Treeko, but always pick Turtwig. I usually picked Charmander because I wanted a Starmie for my Water type, Totodile because I wanted to run the game with Abra, who could learn Fire Punch and be super effective on Meganium, then I alternated between Torchic and Mudkip.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
  • I've never used Treecko, Torterra, Meganium, Empoleon or Typhlosion, so I guess Water and Fire are even for me, but I hate Grass usually (not you, Bulbasaur!).

Back