• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So, what happened to YOUR dad?

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I thought that the developers forgotten to put a "Dad".

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I guess they either divorced or the dad died. The exception is R/S/E obviously.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
  • The Way I see it the dad is on a journey before or years after you were born then he just died or had an injury or he goes home alot but you're on you journey so you weren't aware of his visits

Years
  • Don't forget about Palmer, who was the father of your Rival, in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, that's technically a father being introduced. Anyhow, I assume he just has a job somewhere in the region, or in another region and he visits occasionally, a poor theory, I know, but I'm not very creative.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Don't forget about Palmer, who was the father of your Rival, in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, that's technically a father being introduced. Anyhow, I assume he just has a job somewhere in the region, or in another region and he visits occasionally, a poor theory, I know, but I'm not very creative.

Also there's Roark and Byron in Hoenn, not main characters but still characters that have a father.

Sul_Zala

Collector of tales
    Years
  • Since my dad plays my old Diamond version... I'd say, at least in my Pt version, that my dad is a trainer, that he is somewhere out there, probably with a ridiculously strong team and a picture of us three and sending back money he earned in trainer battles or by selling stuff his Pickup Pokemon found. Since I rarely visited my mom back at home since I started my journey, maybe he has since returned for a few days. Hugged my mom. Got a new photo. Since I'm on TV sometimes and it's reasonable that it's big news if a champion gets beaten, he probably noticed that girl that looks a bit like his wife and has the name of his daughter that has come so far. Then he returns, my mom tells him "Yes your daugther got so far, now what did you accomplish?" and hands him a new photo. Maybe he doesn't actively look for me because he thinks I'm busy, and or really angry at him for rarely being there. Maybe we will meet in battle, one day and I will pull out the photo I carry around with me and he will say "We're both trainers, we need nothing else", or maybe that fighting's first. Maybe he will deny being my father, maybe he will tell me he's proud of me, maybe he'll apologize for being such a bad father. Maybe I will beat him, maybe he will beat the tar out of me.
    Maybe we won't. Maybe, one day, a coffin will be transported to the local cemetary, or there will be a black-lined letter that said he died in some faraway place. Maybe not.
    And maybe, he will return for good one day.

So many maybes! D: Oooops.

As for BW... I'm not past the E4 yet (focusing on my Platinum Pokedex instead xD"), so idk.

As for SoulSilver... I like to think that he's some kind of engineer, one that helped building the wind turbines. Since no one seems to change location even at night, he's constantly working. Working and tinkering. And that my little gadget there broke because he kept tinkering with it. But that he comes home on weekends and stuff. And that he's proud of his little boy that did so many things.

smithtism

Blank
    Years
  • I honestly never really noticed. After all, we leave so quickly that we don't get much insight into our own family. Who knows, maybe he was just grocery shopping and doesn't come back until we've already left. And if we decide to visit, daddy would just-so-happen to be out shopping again.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • For Kanto I think the mom and dad divorced; the dad never returned in HG/SS and left the mom alone.

For Johto I think the dad was on some business trip in "Kanto" or something.

For Sinnoh I think your dad is a trainer in some faraway region, because I think I remember Palmer talking about how he and the player's dad were attacked by Starlies also (I think).

I don't really know for Unova, maybe he's on a business trip? I mean, they're in a New York-based region so yep.

Scat Away

Screws the Rules
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2011
    i never noticed the father deal either, i figured they were out in another region. it may be a crazy theory of mine, but perhaps one of the special male NPC in the game MIGHT be, like one of the gym leaders or elite 4

Asrossk

The Incompetent
    Years
  • He's probably hanging out in a mysterious fold of space time where all the other missing plot holes sit around and discuss matters at length. I imagine he will be sitting between "luck" and "the force".

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • Single Parent Rule
    RPG characters with two living parents are almost unheard of. As a general rule, male characters will only have a mother, and female characters will only have a father. The missing parent either vanished mysteriously and traumatically several years ago or is never referred to at all. Frequently the main character's surviving parent will also meet an awkward end just after the story begins, thus freeing him of inconvenient filial obligations.

^^This.

If you think about it, the father figure to the main character would have to be someone of a high Trainer level since the mother always raves about how she met the father while on his journey. In Hoenn, we get a taste of what would have to be the standard for father characters: Being a Gym-Leader or other Trainer of equal or higher importance so the main character has an incentive to travel and get stronger: To beat his/her dad. If this were in every game, we'd see a repetition of the main character's father being an E4, Gym Leader, or even the Champion of the region.

Personally, I'm glad they never really stuck to the idea of keeping a father around because then it'd be the same bland thing every time: Character strives to be better than his father.

Just my thoughts on it.

Years
  • It is a good question. . .I always naturally assumed that your Father in game was out on a pokemon adventure of his own, well in the games where his whereabouts isn't accounted for. Or perhaps it is a subtle reference to the divorce rates. . .wouldn't bet any money on that though!

Althea

[For Sale]
    Years
  • I'd always assumed my mother was the Pokemon equivalent of the Virgin Mary and I was the Pokemon equivalent of Jesus Christ...after all, in each game, you triumph over the evil team, capture the mascot Pokemon which is effectively the God of that region, and save the world.

...plus you can technically walk on water with Surf, and seem to be able to survive without food somehow. Plus if you add the number of Gym Leaders and Elite Four members together, that'd make twelve apostles...

竜の子

Avy made by Trainer Touko
    Years
  • well he's either away due to work/own journey,dead,divorced.

BTW have anybody noticed that the moms doesn't have rooms,I mean where do they sleep,the couch?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    He's one of those Dad's who randomly disappeared and you never hear of what happened to him during the story. He's a ~mystery~. n_n I'd like to think he went on a conquest to ~find himself~.

This is one of the reasons why I like Hoenn though. They actually give you both a mother and a father.

Back