• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So... What languages do you know?

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
Java, BASIC, a bit of C++, a little Python, HTML, some CSS, a small bit of Javascript, Windows batch file scripting, and Bash scripting.

Nice. I don't mean that in a sarcastic way, mind you.

I'm learning French and Chinese. My French is absolutely horrible, though. I've had bad teachers three years in a row. Hopefully, the next year will be better.

I desperately want to learn Italian, and maybe a little German as well. I can pronounce words in German, though. I take vocal lessons, so I had to sing a lot of songs in German. Yeah. It's really useful knowing how to "speak" German when you have no idea what you're saying, but it's fun.

Yeah, the reason I want to take Italian is for musical purposes, but it sounds like a beautiful language. I know scattered words thanks to musical terms, but it's not that helpful. : P

Edit: Just wanted to say that I admire all those who know can read or write Arabic. I'm not familiar with its sound, but the text is so beautiful. It's like art.

Last edited:

Honest

Hi!
Years
English (No duh), Bengali (My parents are from Bangladesh), Spanish (I'm learning), and that's about it... well, I can read Arabic, but I have no idea what I'm saying. : O

emoBill™

† мазохист †
Years
German (obviously) and English. I'm currently learning to speak and read Russian, but it's pretty difficult.

They make us take two languages in Gymnasium in Germany. English is a required language. So it's only fitting that I would speak German and English xD I really hope I can become fluent in Russian, though, because it seems like a really neat language.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
Years
Aside from English, I did my French GCSE last year (I got a B) and am doing Spanish this year. (predicted A)

Plus, I'm working on developing a new fictional language. I have the letters down (26, like english) and I just need to work out conventional speech structure. It's working title right now is Foxpeak, as I was developing it use by Kitsune characters, but I might change that.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
Oh, I also can read and write the Cyrillic alphabet. My school notes are all in English but instead of being written with Latin letters, I use Cyrillic letters. :D

Ayselipera

I only know some basic Spanish. Technically I've been learning Spanish for about three years now, but I don't really care for it. So I only know a couple sentences here and there.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
Years
English. Quite a bit of Irish [more than I thought I could actually] and French [I studied it for three years and hated it though, and I've forgotten it all XD]

Diat Duit mo chairde

[Hello, my friends :)]

And I'm currently learning a bit of Russian but it's only a twelve week, one hour a week course so i won't be anywhere close to fluent XD

Last edited:

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 3, 2011
Well I'm learning French in school, but I'm absolutely terrible at it. I can usually read some French things and understand what it means, but my vocabulary is pretty limited as well as my speaking abilities >:,

emoBill™

† мазохист †
Years
Oh, I also can read and write the Cyrillic alphabet. My school notes are all in English but instead of being written with Latin letters, I use Cyrillic letters. :D
I do that with Russian xD I'll write the backwards R's and stuff, and even throw in some of those theta signs with the slash through the O. It's quite interesting because no one really understands my notes, even though they're all very readable, you just have to look and see.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
XD I do that too! People think it's actually Russian.
We seriously need to talk on AIM/MSN/Skype sometime! o:

I've decided to learn Esperanto, in case anyone cares.
I do that with Russian xD I'll write the backwards R's and stuff, and even throw in some of those theta signs with the slash through the O. It's quite interesting because no one really understands my notes, even though they're all very readable, you just have to look and see.
Isn't it required in law to write Russian in Cyrillic in Russia? If so, then you should write in Cyrillic. :3

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • he / they
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I know English, and a good amount of Japanese. Other than that.. I know maybe five words of Spanish that I learned when I was 8, two words that I remember from French class in 8th grade, aaand maybe another ten words of German due to listening to too much Tokio Hotel. xD; -shot-

Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
...lolwut.

I just Googled that apparently Cyrillic is what you call the Russian alphabet. Who knew? Either way, I write my notes mostly in that alphabet.
Yes, in Russia it is required by law for things (at least, official things) to be written in Cyrillic. I just looked it up. :]

You didn't know? lolu. It's not specifically the Russian alphabet though, just like the English alphabet isn't just for English. It uses the Latin alphabet as does almost all Romance (derived from Latin) and Germanic languages. Not to mention more such as many African languages now, Celtic languages, and almost all other languages have Latin-equivalent writing systems. :]

Cyrillic is used in Bulgarian, Ukrainian, and Serbian (used to be, but I understand now that more people use the Latin alphabet) are just a few that use Cyrillic letters. Most, if not all Slavik languages have used it in the past or do still use it.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
Years
Oh! I know some sign language too. My mother works with hearing-impaired kids and she taught me some stuff. I can do alphabet, a couple of countries, forms of transport, a few animals and various bits and bobs from elsewhere.

But it's english, not Ameslan.

Back