• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So which is better... PMD or Pkmn Ranger?

Pokemon Ranger... or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon?

• Pokemon Ranger

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Votes: 73 63.5%
  • I don't care- they both suck.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I can't pick one... they are both so good!

Votes: 13 11.3%

• Total voters

The Jewel of Life

A Gift From Arceus
Years
  • Well, it's your choice! Share your thoughts here as to which is the better game. I personally prefer pokemon mystery dungeon games- mainly the explorer ones -because I find the concept of playing as a pokemon to be insanely amusing. Although, it was a difficult choice because the ranger games are extremely fun as well with intense plots- though more so in S.O.A. (yes I do like second editions better) -so it was hard to say that it was my least favorite of the two. So what are your opinions? Post here and we can start an interesting poll and debate!

-P.S. I checked to see if there was anything like this, and there was none as far as I can tell. However, if this is just a repeat feel free to close it.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I like the Ranger games because they're so intense during the boss fights and stuff, but Mystery Dungeon has a lot more game to offer (and IMO has better-executed plots). And playing as a mudkipz is awesome.

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2009
    I definetly like PMD much more than Ranger. The number one reason is that Ranger has such a short plot. I mean, you rank up after every mission you do and immediately the next event happens. After the plot is over, you go and fill up your Browser, and then...no more. Nothing else happens. Of course you could always do the Ranger Net missions over and over again, but that could get boring, can't it? PMD has each and every one of the pokemons ever created out there (no Arceus or Rotom forms), the story is much longer, and there's tons to do after you beat the game.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • Definitely Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Pokemon Ranger is too short and doesn't have much to do after finishing the main story. I've never played Shadows of Almia though.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Ranger sucks, Dungeon is decent and kept me interested longer. I actually beat the main story and then some. Ranger? Not so much. It's on my worst games list. Dungeon > Ranger

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I like Mystery Dungeon games, it feels very good to play as Pokemon.

Pokemon Ranger annoys me.. XD

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
  • I kind of prefer PMD more than Ranger because all you really do in ranger is make circles around things and befriend pokemon to help you overcome obstacles and battles. PMD lets you do more things and its more fun to play.

Dragonfly Z

Frozen Soul
    Years
  • PMD has such a better storyline. I like the feeling of being the Pokemon instead of a human. In Ranger, you just circle Pokemon a couple of times then release them. That's nothing compared to understanding what other Pokemon think and how they interact. :)

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    They both suck eggs, although I prefer Pokemon Mystery Dungeon due to the sheer fact that it doesn't have a story that lowers my I.Q every time I hear of it.

Syrynn

Writer of Tales
    Years
  • I agree with Luck that both games are terrible. PMD is the only one I played, and based on what I head about Ranger, PMD takes the thinnest of edges. Although, in reality, that's not saying much at all.

Nintendo needs to pair up with Camelot for a Pokemon game. If they did this, I would be foaming at the freaking mouth.

:3

3:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    I really don't like Pokemon Ranger. I don't like the idea of befriending pokemon, and just using them to put out a fire, save a key from a Sharpedo etc.
    I also don't enjoy Making countless Circles, and circles, and circles...

yikkayuk

Rockhampton City Gym Leader
    Years
  • PMD definitely...

I don't know if its just me that feels this way, but I don't like how people go all out to be original. I know PMD is original, but its a good thing.

I still play Ranger, I just like PMD more.

DestinyBender

Mana du vortes, aeria gloris.
    Years
  • Eh. I have always like PMD, but Red Rescue team never really appealed to me.. I love the Sinnoh Pokémon.

As for Pokémon Ranger, it is sometimes annoyingly difficult and makes me swear sometimes. A question to Gamefreak; how the hell does a shiny, blue rod make a relationship between the player and Pokémon.

And that's my opinion. Amen.

So.. I'm going to go with PMD as my favourite out of those two games.

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2014
    One of the first on this page, I DEFINATELY liked Ranger better. Sure, Mystery Dungeon had a GREAT storyline (and a tearful ending), but that was it. The actual gameplay was (in my opinion) terrible, and far more repetitive than that of Ranger. Now Ranger, it was a completely different game. No training pokemon! Plus, the best part about Ranger, it ws DIFFICULT. But not not the type of difficult that can be overcome by battling more wild pokemon or by reading strategy guides off the internet, this game can only be overcome by PURE SKILL.

That said, it's just the best of the spin-offs, the main series is WAY better.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, especially the second one. Sure, the gameplay is a little repetitive, and the graphics are poor for the DS, but it's a good game. The storylines are pretty good, and in fact, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2, and Pokemon Heart Gold are my top 2 candaidates for my second favorite game. But, I can only speak for that, since I never played Ranger. However, I do know what it's like, and it isn't as good as Mystery Dungeon.

Amulet Dream

has the Alice of Running Away.
    Years
  • IMO,the Ranger games were better.

It's probably because it wasn't too hard just circling circles/squares/triangles/etc. around Pokemon to befriend them, rather than go up a million levels just to save one.

Also, I couldn't be bothered doing mission after mission while waiting for the main story plot in PMD. The plot was good, but I found it extremely annoying waiting for the main story to take place. I hasn't finished it yet, I gave up.

If I had more patience (which I don't), I would go for PMD.

The Ranger game made the plot advance too fast, though.

But I like plots, so that's why I like the Ranger game. =D

It really depends on the type of games you like, and your personality, I guess. ^^

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2009
    I can't really decide. SoA is far better than the first one but once you're finished hte game there isn't mch to do. I'd say a draw.

Back