• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So you are a moderator.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Imagine you've been made a moderator in your preferred PokéCommunity section, or elsewhere on the internet. How would you go about doing your job? Would you be a very harsh mod or mainly stick to verbal warnings? Would you try to change the way certain aspects of your section (or the community as a whole) works? How quick would you be to infract members for breaking the rules? Would you be very formal and business-like or relaxed and friendly?

For existing moderators, answer these with respect to how you moderate now.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    It really depends on what the issue is. Harsh let's see, I try to lock threads -nicely- that belong in Quick Questions and I know the answer to, and as for threads that belong in other sections I need to link to I try to be nice then too lol. BUT. When it comes to character bypass which happens surprisingly a lot in B/W, because it's intentional bypass (spacing to bypass) I infract for that, since the people know what they're doing. Same goes for if people partially censor the really bad words. As for spam I only infract if it's constant and adbots I kill off as soon as I get to them. Most of the time I just delete posts and leave it really, or if it's a thread; make a post suggesting what direction the topic should go and edit the thread title accordingly. But really, formal/business, idk. In infractions I'm really formal as I noticed but overall I try to come off as friendly, soo. Aaand I think that's all I deal with in B/W?

As for changing the way my section works, yeah I've done that a few times by the limiting discussion threads etc with Kaori back in March.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I would go about in the middle route as in friendly but not too friendly then I wouldn't be doing my job and I'll be taken advantage of.
    Things I'll change...I would add more disscussion on subjects if it allowed.
    As for the infractions, it would depend on what they did, if it seemed like they spammed on purpose I'll be quick to delete the post and give them a warning, second time infaction, fourth time ban...

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Hm... I'd probably be a straight-forward moderator. Not rude, but still serious about the job. Let's say a thread gets locked by me... I'd probably just say "Don't revive month-old threads. *Locked*" and hope that doesn't look mean or anything.

And for visitor messages and stuff I'll still be friendly (well at least as I am right now) so yeah...

As for infractions and the like I'd probably stick with warnings... I wouldn't want to abuse power but if it's too major I'll be forced to infract someone.

So I guess I'd be friendly but still serious at the same time... That could work, right? XD

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    If I was a moderator I would try to be fair. I would want to be a friendly mod that is eager to help the other members with whatever they need and the same with the other staff. If I didnt know the answer to a question someone asked Id find out. Id take my job seriously, maintaining my section and contribute to the discussion in the threads with the other members too. I wouldnt be heavy on the infractions, trying to warn rather then infract and only when I felt it was absolutely nessesary. Id try to be formal too when I must.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I'd be super lax; strict rules annoy me, all it does is limit how fun it is. This is meant to be a place to relax, not write a serious essay all the time. Imo, only thing that warrants an infraction is being straight up rude or posting constant spam/BS.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Yeah, I don't think I'd be a rough mod. I'd probably give 3 warnings at least to a single person about a continual problem before infracting them, just because things happen, sometimes people forget rules. I know I've broken rules accidentally in the past myself.

I feel like I post enough around the site, and I still would as a mod, that I don't think anyone would see me as "Mod Toujours", more like "Toujours (who happens to be a mod)", so I would definitely come off as friendly imo. Except for in OC because I'm opinionated

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Normally I tend to be very lax when handling any sort of issue on here, whether it be locking a thread, moving it, and so on; I'm very lean too. I don't infract for everything and it's normally not the first thing I go about doing when I have to handle someone's error. I usually talk with them first, and then if they continue I go with an infraction. Only if they're deliberately causing trouble will I give them a yellow warning or infraction depending on how bad the situation is and how many times they've done it before.

I'm not really formal though. If you look at most of my locks I sometimes tend to play around or am just really nice when closing a thread. Deleting posts I try to make fun when I can by sometimes giving a witty reason, but still making the reason clear enough to understand. I might only be a bit formal when I'm talking over something serious with someone and I want them to know I'm not joking, but other than that, I'm just very lax.

I see my role on PC as a privilege and benefit of enhanced enjoyment on the forum. I don't try to look at it as some sort of job or else what's the fun in that?

As for how I would take charge of my forum, well, let's just say I've always been a hands on person and I'm always looking for ways of improvement. When I was modding the HG/SS forum with bobandbill and I, together we worked on revamping all the stickies. As for the discussion there, there's not a lot of you can do to change it other than make sure everyone and everything stays in line. However, when I was put to mod Pokémon Anime, I'd like to say I was part of some major changes that took place in that forum.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I think I'm very formal, and that gives me the impression that I'm strict. In most cases, I'm not in any way strict, especially when compared to other staff members. I'm very lax, very understanding, and I try my best to make sure that I'm approachable and relatable when dealing with issues.

When I deal with issues like spamming (unless it's excessive) and bypassing the censor (unless it's disrespecting someone), I tend to delete the problem most of the time and leave. I rarely infract people these days. In the past, when I was first made a mod, I would look for a reason to do something mod-like, mainly because I was modding an inactive forum and wanted something to do. Over time, I started doing that less and less. These days, if you get an infraction for me, it's justified. In fact, to put that in perspective, the only times I tend to infract people is if they're being disrespectful or they're trolling someone. Out of all the infractions, those are the only ones I care about.

I also do my best to be an outlet of sorts. If someone sends me something that needs attention, I'll give it attention. If I can't do anything, I'll forward it to the proper people. If someone reports misconduct to me, I'll look into it and discuss it with the appropriate people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
    When modding, I'm more laid back than strict about it; when locking threads; I try to be as nice as I can about it as well as give them future advice on where to post threads such as the one I've locked, etc. I dunno; sometimes I feel I'm just a little too judgmental, which I'm honestly trying to grasp on each person's side of the story. I guess its because I feel I'm not very comfortable bieng a mod yet, but fine; I want people to know if there's anything that's wrong with the way I mod, or if I'm being unfair, just tell me; I promise I won't bite. :3

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    When someone gets an infraction from me (and that's very rare) it depends on a few factors.
    ~ Have they been warned before? If so then I'll likely give an infraction because after that warning (doesn't matter if it's breaking the character limit) they should have read the PC rules. If they care enough then they should have taken the time to read the rules.
    ~ Have they been here awhile or have a good number of posts? If so then again I'll give an infraction. Because you can't claim ignorance to the rules if you've been here for 6 months, or have high number of posts. You're going to tell me that you didn't take the time to read the PC rules or read the forum rules? I can sort of understand if it's a forum they never go to and it's their first time posting in there... but still if you're breaking a main forum rule and you've been here for awhile... you'll get an infraction from me.

As for locking vs deleting... I'll lock a thread and keep it there as an example for other members. Also if a thread/post is deleted the member might ask what happened to their thread/post and will repost the thread/post (since I don't do much Mod work, nor do I delete I don't know how often this comes up).

Over the years I've went from being easy on the members, then harsh, then easy, harsh, and so on. Now I guess I'm sort of in the middle and I really don't care if someone gets mad at me because they got an infraction when they haven't gotten a single warning. I do what I see is right and if it's that big a deal or that big a prob then one of the SAs will come along and overrule me and I'm ok with that as well.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    If I was a mod I'd do my best to be understanding of the community and their respective problems at the time when it came to the forums but also to look at the whole picture and be able to decide if anyone was in the wrong or not without a bias getting in the way of my judgment at the time.

Basically, fair enough to take into account what the situation may be at the time but unshakable for the most part when it came to my final verdict on a respective matter.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    As much as other mods have said that they're lax, I could definitely give them a run for their money. It's mainly because C&M is one of the more relaxed forums, and a hard-line stance on everything would just make people resent posting in there. In terms of infracting people, I've only given three out (and only one of those being a red card): you have to be reeeeeeeeeeeally annoying to get something out of me. Normally I'll send a PM outlining areas of improvement, but sometimes I won't do that.

When I do have to do something, like lock or move a thread, I'm quite formal, however. For the most part, I'll explain the error and maybe offer a solution (like posting it in a different forum, checking the rules etc) so that members won't make the same mistake again. A little bit of wit might seep through, but it's becoming an increasing rarity, unfortunately.

TheEvilDookie

I'm just a teddy bear
    Years
    I would treat it as any other responsibility. That is to say leading with a firm yet gentle hand if you know what I mean. No, I'm not making a dirty joke. e_e

Nox Masque

Faceless Smile...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2011
    I've been told that in regards to controlling things, I'm organised and efficient- as well as harsh, Nazi-like and very unforgiving. So I suppose I'd make an overall bad mod because if I were, I think half of the community would end up banned within a week... I'd have a lot of fun, however.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    I have an immeasurable amount of patience, and currently being a global mod on a very large site, I know it makes a very good plus. However, I like to keep a good mix of humor and helping tendency in my responces. On PC, a section I'd love to mod is Pixel Art, and I would try my best to reorganize some things about it and bring more attention to that section. In fact, I'll try to do this as I am now via suggestions

I wouldn't be completely strict, but not lax as wax either. Especially when I'd see a member breaking the rules while it's obvious that they are aware of their actions and enjoying it at the same time. In other words, I like to have a balanced set of actions. After all, moderating can be both fun and hard on the one having it, as well. Oh, and one more thing; personally, I try to spend more a lot more time online on the site where I mod-naturally-than when I just browse it as a normal member.

marcc5m

what
    Years
    First couple of times, I'd just delete the post, or lock the thread, and tell the user what they did wrong. If it happens a third time, I would warn them that if they carry on, they would have an infraction coming their way. If they carry on...well, yeah. I'm honestly not a very strict person, and I believe that people should be given another chance, until it just goes to far that they're really just asking for trouble. Small things like character limit bypass and generic, SPAMmy replies aren't worth an infraction straight off the bat; especially if they're a new member. So yeah I'ma nice guy, blah blah, vote me for president.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Higher staff would never mod me. I'd be so terrible. But if I were a mod of say, General Pokemon Gaming Discussions, I'd probably be pretty lax, till things got crazy. Infractions wouldn't come too often, unless it was for major or repetitive offenses. It'd probably piss me off if the same rules were constantly getting broken, or if people were posting threads in the wrong section, so then I'd post announcements that would, of course, get ignored. As for changing things, I think it's run pretty well right now thanks to that one guy that's modding it right now (I forgot his username, but his theme is hot). Also, formal is just not my style, unless absolutely necessary, which I'm sure would be a rare case in its own. But that's all I gotta say about if I was a mod...

Back