• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Soccer vs Football

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    Taking offense to hearing "football" referred to as "soccer" is as silly as hearing "lift" be referred to as "elevator".

Cultural differences, people. Get it through your thick skulls. I call it soccer, because I was born and live in the U.S. I've called it "futbol" when I had gone down to Mexico, but that's just more of a different spoken tongue thing all together.

Years
  • I live in Australia and some people call it soccer while others call it Football. I call it Football, but i really don't care what people call it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2013
    It doesn't necessarily bother me, but as an Englishman living in the US it can present some confusion from time to time. Although, I do often refer to 'soccer' as "real football" to purposely annoy people ;)

What does grate on me a little, which is something that I've only experienced recently, is the assumption from a lot of American people seem to think that in the UK it is pronounced "fute-ball"... as in 'flute' without the 'l'. No idea where that has come from.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    What does grate on me a little, which is something that I've only experienced recently, is the assumption from a lot of American people seem to think that in the UK it is pronounced "fute-ball"... as in 'flute' without the 'l'. No idea where that has come from.

I'm 90% certain that's because of Mexican influence via their language. "Futbol"

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2013
    I'm 90% certain that's because of Mexican influence via their language. "Futbol"

Yeah. I have been asked "Is that how you say it? Fute-ball?" before now. Possibly influenced by the Spanish word 'futbol'. I just got the impression they believed that was how it was pronounced in British English. Which makes little sense.

Back