• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Some people mentioned a higher difficulty in Platinum...

Years
  • I got Platinum yesterday (various reasons as to why I couldn't get it at launch, blah blah blah...anyways.) and some people told me (not on the forums but still) that Platinum has a higher difficulty than Diamond and Pearl right from the get go.

I'm currently at Floroma (sp) town and have not yet noticed a difference in the difficulty at all, so to those of you that are quite far into or have completed Pokemon Platinum, does the difficulty increase from previous versions come later on, or is not there at all?

(from your own experience natrually)

I'm just really curious is all.

Thanks for your input in advance.

~Leon

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    A higher difficulty? Well it all depends on what level your pokemon is, how you play the game, which pokemon, etc. It doesn't matter about our experiences of difficulty because everyone's own is not the same. It could be hard for some, and it could be easy for the others. It all depends on what you experience.
    Hope that helped.

Years
  • I just assumed that it meant the Pokemon were higher levels (I mean, just as an hypothetical example, a Pokemon trainer in D/P who has level 7 Pokemon has level 10's in Platinum, in the exact same location) or some such.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Platinum has been fairly easy for me.. for some reason I found it easier than Pearl, that I never even finished. Still, yes it's difficulty level is raised.. but not by much. SLIGHTLY tricker Gyms, as well as having to beat one of them out of order, and the levels of the CPU's Pokemon are a but higher. If a Gym Leader's Pokemon were between level 25-30 in DP, then in Platinum they could be 32-38. Not a huuuge difference. There's also a bit of a change in the story line.

lorelli

Super Hypno Lover
    Years
  • I'm finding it a little bit more Difficult that Pearl, but I think it's because of the Pokemon I have in my party. I transferred the Johto starters from my Pearl instead of using a Sinnoh starter.

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
  • Yeah I actually found Platinum way harder than D/P, it just seemed the Pokemon in Platinum were much harder than in D/P, higher levels too.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2022
    Platinum mixes the rosters and levels a little bit, but the difficulty remains fairly the same as DP. The true challenge lies in the Battle Frontier, where you'll be getting your ass handed you all the time. :p

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Actually.
    No.
    I didn't think it was any less harder or any less easier.
    It was the same in my opinion.

Pikadance14

Mudkip Kid
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2010
    It took me a little longer to get through but that was it. Wasn't harder at all.

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2011
    mehh I thought it was pretty much the same except it was a little faster in platinum cause I knew where stuff was

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2009
    I saw it a bit, instead of them spamming Screech on you (fail example), they used Screech and then an attacking move. Mostly at gyms though

joelogs

region Explorer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    as for me, as long as keep your team at high levels it would be that difficult. it's just a matter of leveling up.

Years
  • For sure, I found the Gym's a tad more difficult, and as for the Gym leaders, yeah, they tend to be a little more difficult, but as for the rest of the game, I don't think the difficulty has increased at all..

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    It could be a bit harder than Diamond and Pearl, but only slightly. Platinum is probably just a bit higher leveled and I guess some of us are used to training our pokemon a bit lower than usual, and now that Platinum is here, it's a bit harder and stronger and the people who are still training low levels like in Diamond and Pearl, it's harder for them now.

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2016
    To be honest, when I was playing, it only seemed slightly more difficult than Diamond and Pearl.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2011
    Yeah i mean, some Pokemons are a little higher level wise, but it's not that much really if you train hard : )

Back