• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spambot PMs - A Reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
  • IP address banning is only good if they are proxies... Otherwise it is that burn method which then leads to banning innocent people (especially like those with AOL, but seriously who uses that anyway).

If someone got banned on a library computer, it means no one at that library would be able to go to PC then.

In that way, email and account banning work best. Then they just set limits like on being able to post links after a certain amount of posts.
    I hope the method you describe will NOT be used, I am own of those aol users. XD

perfectmonster

Eggs Are Awesome!
    Years
  • OK! I just got one! Seconds ago:
    Hey, we have a site of our own, it's unique in that we are a close, competitive community. We are always looking for more people, so please come check us out.
    We have a completed pokedex, competitive guides, and more projects on the way.

Quote:
    Site url: LINK REMOVED
    Forum url: LINK REMOVED

Watch this video to get a sense of what and who we are:

LINK REMOVED (Was a YouTube link)

Also, here is a pic of part of the home page so you know what to expect:

Yeah, i got this one too!

lucariojon

{Ruff Rabbit}
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    OK! I just got one! Seconds ago:
    Hey, we have a site of our own, it's unique in that we are a close, competitive community. We are always looking for more people, so please come check us out.
    We have a completed pokedex, competitive guides, and more projects on the way.

I have not received a PM like this on here,but I have gotten in on Bulbagarden,but this was a while ago and did not know about that at the time,So I didn't report it because i didn't know about the spam PMs on bulbagarden,and I couldn't find a moderator or staff on bulbagarden,and was unable to report it sadly..

I saw the thread here (and bulbagarden) about this about a week after I got the PM and deleted it :(

If I do get a PM like that here,I will report it to a moderator or an Admin.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • I just got a PM from a bot named DARK SHAYIMIN (now banned) who told me about my "computer security" on [LINK REMOVED FOR SAFETY REASONS] . Of course that the site had a name which contained the word "virus" so I didn't touch it .

That's what happens when you're in the 1st members of the list ... -_-'

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    The last time I saw a SPAM link was about 2-3 years ago when a SPAMBOT used to spam the newest members. I took a look through my anti-virus software, there were hundreds on that site.

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2012
    I got about 4 of those when I logged on today... the person sending them had already been banned, though (thank god).

~Starry

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Got spammed today, here's the quote.

Pyrina said:
    Hello,
    I just wanted to invite you to these roleplaying sites, they are currently looking for members and I thought maybe you would like to visit them and maybe become a part of our families.
    If not, its quite fine. :)

here are the link

www.z10.invisionfree.com/pokemon_hikari
    www.z7.invisionfree.com/pokelife

the first one is also looking for gymleaders if you would be interested.

I did not get rid of the links, just look if they're suspicious.

nimmy23

Hi im nimmy23... Hi im nimmy23
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2012
    I got a spam from someone called Vindel.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I did not get rid of the links, just look if they're suspicious.
    Weird. Hikari was a member on a much older forum (now defunct) called Tech Links (a Code Lyoko fan forum), and if I remember well enough, she trolled at every possible chance she could get. When the admins told her to stop, she squealed to the people who owned CL's licensing rights and had the site shut down.

I recieved one from a user called revengex or something along the lines of that. Deleted it the moment I read the message.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Well, if we think about what happened before, TPC may shut PC down. Luckily, it's not Nintendo and they're more likely to keep this alive, they even wanted to make an online game, but Nintendo shut THAT down for infringing on their own rights.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Well, if we think about what happened before, TPC may shut PC down. Luckily, it's not Nintendo and they're more likely to keep this alive, they even wanted to make an online game, but Nintendo shut THAT down for infringing on their own rights.

Well, it certainly didn't help that TL was circulating some episodes of Code Lyoko without reimbursing Moonscoop, the copyright holders. I think that's what did them in.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Also, just a notice, if you report a PM via the report button, please don't delete the PM for a day or so, because deleting the PM deletes your report as well. Thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back