• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Spoilers spoiler spoiler spoiler. Pokemon Time line

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    XY wasn't just discovering mega evolution that's what I'm trying to say

Yeah they were. Only four people use mega evolution in X and Y: Korrina, the player character, Lysandre, and Diantha (and possibly Sycamore which would bring it up to five, I can't remember if he uses it or not.) Korrina's family has been involved with it for some time, and seem to be the only authority on the subject, with Sycamore studying under them in an attempt to learn about it. You only get ahold of the technology allowing you to use mega evolution so it can be studied, and I'm assuming Diantha and Lysandre may have obtained it through other means. Why would they even need to study it if much was already known about mega evolution? Also there are several mega stones not present in Kalos; given that worldwide transport of goods is possible where are they? Discounting greed doesn't it seem odd that Pidgeot's mega evolution isn't present anywhere? You can't even import them into X and Y. Why are there fewer mega evolutions available in the future, and why does Rayquaza lose the ability to mega evolve?

Years
    And actually I just checked the references , nothing story related involving gen 5 is mentioned in XY only general stuff is
    To Generation V
    A Tourist eating outside of a café in Lumiose City mentions having visited the café in Striaton City.
    A Monsieur in the Stone Emporium talks about ores that he adores, before saying, "this is where you should laugh".
    Statues of Reshiram and Zekrom can be found in the courtyard of Parfum Palace. Two Tourists in the courtyard explain that the two Pokémon are legendary Pokémon of the Unova region, and that Kalos and Unova must have been in contact with each other.
    A Hiker found at the Ambrette Town Fossil Lab, who gives the player the four Drives if shown a Genesect, says that he got the Drives from an acquaintance of his in the Unova region.
    A Backpacker on Route 10 mentions that Colress told him that the big rocks on that route emit some kind of special energy.
    A male Ace Trainer in Coumarine City will play a remix of the song "An Unwavering Heart" from Generation V when spoken to.
    A Beauty in Coumarine City explains that Dr. Fennel of the Unova region created Game Sync.
    A female Scientist in Coumarine City mentions that Pokémon dream when they're tucked in with Game Sync.
    A Lass in Coumarine City explains that Triple Battles and Rotation Battles got their start in the Unova region.
    A male Pokémon Breeder in the Magenta Plaza Pokémon Center mentions Team Plasma "making news a while back in the Unova region".
    A Waitress on the first floor of the building containing the Fighting Dojo asks about the whereabouts of The Riches, before mentioning that she's looking for Master Miles.
    A woman on the first floor of the building containing the Fighting Dojo mentions that she recently moved from a very rural part of Unova.
    Paintings of both Castelia City and the Battle Subway appear in the Lumiose Museum.
    One of the items that the player may be asked to find during the lost-and-found job in Hotel Richissime is a Brycen-Man Figure.
    A Fairy Tale Girl on Route 14 says that she can't wait to finish reading Shauntal's new book.
    Sky Trainer Clara on Route 16 says that her hometown is Mistralton City.
    According to the television show Gym Freaks, Wulfric is a fan of the Brycen-Man Series, and Clemont is secretly saving up money to visit the amusement park in the Unova region.

For what other reason could Team Plasma be making (apparently) WORLDWIDE news, then, if the events of B/W/2 never happened? I doubt it would be just for them stealing Pokemon, and if their plans suceeded then X and Y would NOT be happening for obvious reasons.

mew_nani

Years
    I sure hope NOT! >.>

There's only three branches though. One taking place when Link wins and leaves future Hyrule, one taking place when Link wins and returns to past Hyrule, and one taking place if you get squished into paste by Ganon. I don't think Pokemon needs three timelines, but it is neat having two. But what caused there to be two timelines, and will they interact in the future?

Years
    There's only three branches though. One taking place when Link wins and leaves future Hyrule, one taking place when Link wins and returns to past Hyrule, and one taking place if you get squished into paste by Ganon. I don't think Pokemon needs three timelines, but it is neat having two. But what caused there to be two timelines, and will they interact in the future?

I think those comments were less because of how confusing it is and more because people will continue to argue about it forever, even when stated by some sort of official source :P

Anyway, went back and watched the scene where the alternate dimension is mentioned and it's said that in the alternate dimension, the war in Kalos never happened and the ultimate weapon was never created, therefore meaning Mega evolution was never discovered, so it would seem that X and Y DO take place in a separate timeline if that's true. Still, the events of the other games had to have happened in some form if that's true, and there's proof to back up the fact that they did, only Mega Evolution is involved somehow...which basically means, as stated before, Game Freak needed an excuse to do future remakes and so made an entirely new dimension.

mew_nani

Years
    I think those comments were less because of how confusing it is and more because people will continue to argue about it forever, even when stated by some sort of official source :P

Anyway, went back and watched the scene where the alternate dimension is mentioned and it's said that in the alternate dimension, the war in Kalos never happened and the ultimate weapon was never created, therefore meaning Mega evolution was never discovered, so it would seem that X and Y DO take place in a separate timeline if that's true. Still, the events of the other games had to have happened in some form if that's true, and there's proof to back up the fact that they did, only Mega Evolution is involved somehow...which basically means, as stated before, Game Freak needed an excuse to do future remakes and so made an entirely new dimension.

But in X and Y everyone acted like it was some new thing... Maybe Kalos lies in its own separate dimension? I find it weird the number of mega evolutions available decreases in the future, and Rayquaza loses the ability to mega evolve. A third version might fix that though. Anyway will B2/W2 be the final entry in timeline A, or do you think there will be more entries in a world where mega evolution doesn't exist? Or will the two interact somehow?

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024

If that is true, then my first post on this thread stands! ^^
    These alternate timelines are somehow interesting. :3

epicbiscuit23

Epicpokepotato1
    Years
    Well I think this. There's two timelines
    Alternate and the normal time line
    The alternate time line is the remake timeline and the normal timeline is the non remakes (I mean the normal games not counting spin-offs)
    Alternate time line: Firered,leafgreen heartgold,soulsilver,omega ruby alpha sapphire
    Normal time line: RBY GSC RSE DPP BWBW2 XY and that's what I think.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2020
    I'm just going to go the theory that ORAS are a seperate timeline from every other game (Possibly, Alternate timelines are always confusing), meaning that this:
    If the alternate timeline thing is true, then the third Kalos game will be set in ORAS' timeline in a Kalos with fully developed Mega Evolution.
    ^Would make a lot more sense. (Maybe)
    Assuming 7th gen games onwards follow the original timeline, there might end up being a lot more interaction between the two timelines so that Mega-Evolutions/Primal Reversions from ORAS can somehow exist in the original timeline.
    But if what i just said is true then maybe in Pokemon Z we can travel to the ORAS alternate timeline and get the new Mega-Evolutions that way.
    Again timelines can be very confusing.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    I'm just going to go the theory that ORAS are a seperate timeline from every other game (Possibly, Alternate timelines are always confusing), meaning that this:

^Would make a lot more sense. (Maybe)
    Assuming 7th gen games onwards follow the original timeline, there might end up being a lot more interaction between the two timelines so that Mega-Evolutions/Primal Reversions from ORAS can somehow exist in the original timeline.
    But if what i just said is true then maybe in Pokemon Z we can travel to the ORAS alternate timeline and get the new Mega-Evolutions that way.
    Again timelines can be very confusing.

The way they seem to put it is that each game that involves mega evolution ( AZ's war) are set in the same time.

I'm a huge fan of Star Trek so the subject of alternate timeline is not only very easy for me to understand but also fun to learn about. I'm actually gonna write an article about the subject today.

mew_nani

Years
    The way they seem to put it is that each game that involves mega evolution ( AZ's war) are set in the same time.

I'm a huge fan of Star Trek so the subject of alternate timeline is not only very easy for me to understand but also fun to learn about. I'm actually gonna write an article about the subject today.

I get that but there's still a lot of continuity errors between ORAS and X and Y; namely that the causes for mega evolution are different, that mega evolution awareness has considerably decreased, and that certain mega evolutions like Mega Pidgeot and Mega Diancie have simply vanished. Either mega evolution seems to be decaying somehow in X and Y, or X and Y take place in the same timeline as the rest of the games instead of ORAS. Or the continuity errors are a result of the timeline being fractured, which may imply timeline B is unstable... or inherently broken from the start. I have to wonder just how the timelines diverged; did some kind of cataclysm cause this? Is a Pokemon other than Arceus responsible for this timeline? Is this timeline broken and unstable, and headed for disaster?

Years
    I get that but there's still a lot of continuity errors between ORAS and X and Y; namely that the causes for mega evolution are different, that mega evolution awareness has considerably decreased, and that certain mega evolutions like Mega Pidgeot and Mega Diancie have simply vanished. Either mega evolution seems to be decaying somehow in X and Y, or X and Y take place in the same timeline as the rest of the games instead of ORAS. Or the continuity errors are a result of the timeline being fractured, which may imply timeline B is unstable... or inherently broken from the start. I have to wonder just how the timelines diverged; did some kind of cataclysm cause this? Is a Pokemon other than Arceus responsible for this timeline? Is this timeline broken and unstable, and headed for disaster?

Just because you can't find certain Mega Stones in X and Y doesn't necessarily mean they don't exist at all, though. Also, I don't remember it being stated that the causes for Mega Evolution are different. I clearly didn't pay as much attention to Delta Episode as I should have so I could be wrong, but as I recall it was simply the meteor falling that brought Mega Evolution to Hoenn, not the world itself which would still leave its origin with the firing of the ultimate weapon.

mew_nani

Years
    Just because you can't find certain Mega Stones in X and Y doesn't necessarily mean they don't exist at all, though. Also, I don't remember it being stated that the causes for Mega Evolution are different. I clearly didn't pay as much attention to Delta Episode as I should have so I could be wrong, but as I recall it was simply the meteor falling that brought Mega Evolution to Hoenn, not the world itself which would still leave its origin with the firing of the ultimate weapon.

I'm not saying they vanished because you can't find them in Kalos. I'm saying they vanished because you can't even import them in from ORAS, and you can't use those mega evolutions if you battle someone playing X and Y. The mega evolutions just plain aren't there; the mega stones are missing, you can't use them even if you have them, and you're forbidden to see them in the future. Why? Only two mega evolutions are known to survive into the future, and unless Game Freak gives us a third version with those mega evolutions present they have utterly vanished within a decade!

As for the meteor... eh, I find it strange that you get little marbles from a hunk of iron ore but eh.

mew_nani

Years
    Guys check out my blog on the subject and let me know what you think
    https://mrgriszellblog.wordpress.com/

Your timeline is off. You're organizing the time they were released; this isn't correct because the date the games were released in doesn't coincide with the date the stories within the games take place. If you're making a timeline you have to use the dates the games themselves give you. (Also D/P came out in 2006.)

Both timelines begin at Arceus's creation. It created Dialga, which is the starting point of time itself, and thus the beginning of one or both timelines. At an unknown time after creation Giratina is banished, Groudon and Kyogre fight, and Rayquaza stops them. Millions of years later, presumably a couple thousand years before FR/LG and R/S/E Reshiram and Zekrom split from Kyurem, burn Unova to the ground, and roughly 3,000 years ago AZ's war takes place. In the modern era FR/LG, R/S/E and ORAS take place, beginning and ending at the same time. R/S/E and FR/LG take place in the first timeline, Timeline A, and ORAS takes place in the second timeline, Timeline B. In Timeline A mega evolution doesn't exist, and the war AZ fought in never takes place at all, and in Timeline B mega evolution is well known, AZ loses his Floette and commits genocide in Kalos and ends the war, and technology is presumably more advanced. Around two and a half years after the 3rd generation Pokemon games D/P/Pl take place, and half a year (?) later HG/SS happen. Some time after that the events of B/W take place (I heard it was around 5 years later but Bulbapedia doesn't have a set time,) and 2 years after that B2/W2 happens. Then in Timeline B, X and Y take place at the same time as B2/W2. At the very least there's a 5 year gap between ORAS and X/Y, likely around a decade due to technological advancements.

You're also seeming to suggest ORAS could be a retcon as well as in an alternate timeline, and the reasons you're giving are simple handwaves (also a bit wrong, as just because they were known about doesn't mean they weren't recently discovered. A lot of things exist for a while and are then discovered by scientists and studied later.)

Last edited:

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Your timeline is off. You're organizing the time they were released; this isn't correct because the date the games were released in doesn't coincide with the date the stories within the games take place. If you're making a timeline you have to use the dates the games themselves give you. (Also D/P came out in 2006.)

Both timelines begin at Arceus's creation. It created Dialga, which is the starting point of time itself, and thus the beginning of one or both timelines. At an unknown time after creation Giratina is banished, Groudon and Kyogre fight, and Rayquaza stops them. Millions of years later, presumably a couple thousand years before FR/LG and R/S/E Reshiram and Zekrom split from Kyurem, burn Unova to the ground, and roughly 3,000 years ago AZ's war takes place. In the modern era FR/LG, R/S/E and ORAS take place, beginning and ending at the same time. R/S/E and FR/LG take place in the first timeline, Timeline A, and ORAS takes place in the second timeline, Timeline B. In Timeline A mega evolution doesn't exist, and the war AZ fought in never takes place at all, and in Timeline B mega evolution is well known, AZ loses his Floette and commits genocide in Kalos and ends the war, and technology is presumably more advanced. Around two and a half years after the 3rd generation Pokemon games D/P/Pl take place, and half a year (?) later HG/SS happen. Some time after that the events of B/W take place (I heard it was around 5 years later but Bulbapedia doesn't have a set time,) and 2 years after that B2/W2 happens. Then in Timeline B, X and Y take place at the same time as B2/W2. At the very least there's a 5 year gap between ORAS and X/Y, likely around a decade due to technological advancements.

You're also seeming to suggest ORAS could be a retcon as well as in an alternate timeline, and the reasons you're giving are simple handwaves (also a bit wrong, as just because they were known about doesn't mean they weren't recently discovered. A lot of things exist for a while and are then discovered by scientists and studied later.)

Nothing you said was true you pretty much said what I said , the only thing I didn't mention was the creation. You glanced over the part when I said I was using those dates as an example. It's like you didn't even read you just glanced at it😒😒😒

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2016
    Pretty sure OR/AS is in a separate timeline from X and Y. If they're in the same timeline, then there really wouldn't be much point of Sycamore looking into Mega Evolution and Professor Cozmo said he would be sending his findings to him. Plus there's that tweet stating that X and Y are in the same timeline as the rest of the games.

Although I guess there's nothing stopping OR/AS from being in the same timeline as the obligatory third version.

They are in the same timeline because the delta episode references XY....

Back