• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SPOILERS: Starter Evo Types Leaked?

shellysunfish

Hoenn and cat Pokemon fangirl
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2019
    I could see Fire/Ground due to a Poketube video I saw and said the cat that Litten is based off lives in the Mountains. Not sure about type match-ups as I never really could remember. Fire/Dark and Fire/Poison makes more sense design wise though.

As for Popplio becoming Water/Fighting.. Ehh. Just seems kinda basic, and Fairy seemed perfect. It's fine though, unless they go crazy with the fighting part of the design. Water/Ice would be worse imo, its been done, and just seems rude to put in on a starter, they deserve better.
    Which mountain cat is Litten based off?
    I was leaning toward Litten evolving into a tiger.
    Others have pointed out the strips, and the tiger symbol.
    SPOILERS: Starter Evo Types Leaked?

Years
    Fire/ground for Litten? Some kind of fire crystal tiger comes to mind immediately for that. :D Definitely not a combo I would hate to see at all.

Water/fighting for Popplio, not so sure how much I like that, but only because it's been done more than a few times before and seems slightly "boring" to me now. But I don't hate it, either. Indifference!

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'm still convinced that Litten will become another Fire/Fighting to represent the Muay Thai fighting style popularized by Street Fighter with Sagat (the marking on Litten's head is said to be a tiger/king symbol).
    That's a concept already done for a starter. Blaziken is 100% Muay Thai inspired, and the mega takes that further by being in a Thai boxing stance.
    Spoiler:

He even got the hand wraps!

A rooster makes more sense too since cock fighting is a thing in Thailand. Combine a fighting rooster with Thailand's native combat sport and you get Blaziken. A Tiger would only make sense if you're familiar with Street Fighter.

Last edited:

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Which mountain cat is Litten based off?
    I was leaning toward Litten evolving into a tiger.
    Others have pointed out the strips, and the tiger symbol.

I wasn't doubting the Tiger evolution, as that is obvious, especially with the zodiac theme. Though I thought that symbol on Litten was Alchemic for Fire?

Anyways, talking about Litten, not its evolutions is a Island cat in Japan, also endangered (A possible theme for this region), who lives in the mountains leading to a possible Ground or Rock 2nd typing. It was Pokecommunity's own channel/team who pointed it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7oALBmgZME

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    So since the ground typing comes before fire in the site, what if Rowlet is Grass/Ground?

Because hoo boy I am excited for it to turn into a Burrowing Owl. Surely GF knows what's best for us.

shellysunfish

Hoenn and cat Pokemon fangirl
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2019
    I wasn't doubting the Tiger evolution, as that is obvious, especially with the zodiac theme. Though I thought that symbol on Litten was Alchemic for Fire?

Anyways, talking about Litten, not its evolutions is a Island cat in Japan, also endangered (A possible theme for this region), who lives in the mountains leading to a possible Ground or Rock 2nd typing. It was Pokecommunity's own channel/team who pointed it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7oALBmgZME
    Thanks for the link! It's called the Iriomote cat.
    I'm skeptical of the fire starter/Chinese Zodiac theory.
    I'm also not convinced of the alchemy theory for the Alola starters yet.
    Both theories are a bit of a stretch, but that is just me.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I really don't think they would go from flying to ground, and I have a feeling that could make a lot of people mad. It is extremely rare for a pokemon to completely lose a type. And it Rowlet turned into a ground, it would become my least favorite pokemon as a starter.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    It's really not a big deal damn. A Pokemon changing type upon evolution really isn't that rare of an occurrence and it'd be a really novel idea for a starter.

Grass/Ground is a solid typing.

Years
    Since Rowlet is a bird it doesn't make sense for it to change from flying to ground for its sub-type. I hope Popplio doesn't get a fighting sub-type, but I don't know what sub-type would be best for a sea lion if it stays a sea lion through all its evolutions.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Grass/Ground still makes sense though. Burrowing Owls exist, and they nest underground.

Years
    I immediately thought popplio would be water/fighting provided its concept is based around athletics (juggling and acrobatics). I usually do not like fighting types but popplio is not a muscle head, it's more of a athletic performer fighting type.

Years
    Grass/Ground still makes sense though. Burrowing Owls exist, and they nest underground.

Rowlet obviously though is going to stay grass/flying because of it being a bird since every bird ever in pokemon has always had a flying sub-type. Which with that said it made me realize that Popplio would make sense getting a fighting sub-type with Rowlet being a flying type when it comes to evolutions.

Hopefully Litten gets a dark sub-type to keep it's resistance to grass types.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    What's stopping Game Freak from breaking trends? Especially since they love doing that lately.

You never know. Rowlet might just end up not looking much like a bird for its final stage.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Thanks for the link! It's called the Iriomote cat.
    I'm skeptical of the fire starter/Chinese Zodiac theory.
    I'm also not convinced of the alchemy theory for the Alola starters yet.
    Both theories are a bit of a stretch, but that is just me.

Was there an Alchemy theory for the other two? I just thought it was Litten. Overall I'm kinda seeing Circus though.

As for the Zodiac, I can see how it could be a stretch, but the fact that it works even if you have to do only a slight stretch almost makes it concrete for me though.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2016
    Because of the order, I believe it will be Grass Ground, just fire, and then Water Fighting. Otherwise the order doesn't make sense. Perhaps they want to be unpredictable by changing Rowlet's typing. There have been flightless "owls" in existence. Here is an example of a type of owl that could not fly, that lived on Islands. This bird also could turn its head in any direction!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyto_pollens

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2016
    [Spoilers] I believed I discovered something regarding Rowlet's leaked typing

Regarding the fact the the order of the leaks had ground out of order, I do think Rowlet is going to be Grass Ground. I have found a lot more information proving this theory which is why I am posting this. First off, I found a type of owl that used to exist on islands called Tyto pollens. They were flightless and known for turning their head 360 degrees. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyto_pollens

However this lead to even more evidence. I then looked up on Chickcharney, a mythical creature resembling a flightless owl like bird. The following link shows a "Chickcharney" holding a leaf. The information regarding this is that Chickcharneys bring good fortune when one is polite. This goes along with the fact that Rowlet has a bowtie. Also this source also describes "Chickcharneys" as being able to turn their heads 360 degrees, this matches Rowlet's information.

https://www.theoccultsection.com/2014/03/14/the-chickcharney/
    Even more so, a lot of arts regarding "Chickcharneys" shows a flightless owl with settings of tropics, and the color green being prominent. Apparently people on the Bahama islands were to carry bright colored flowers on their head to appease chickcharneys What do you guys think?

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    As long as none of the starters get Fighting as a secondary type, I'm in, coz seriously, only the Kanto and Johto starters didnt have Fighting types as starters :x

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I kind of doubt these are for the starters.

My bet is it's random leftover code, or it's for mons to be revealed soon.

There is little to no reason for the starters final evos to have any programming in the website, even if it was just types.

Grass ground makes sense for Rowlet as it appears to be a barn owl.

Liten is most like fire dark and hopefully not fire poison.

Or Fire ground as two starters with X4 weakness would be pretty bad.

Water and fighting makes sense for Poplio, but I still predict water fairy.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2016
    Regarding, Poplio becoming water fighting. Wikipedia states the Sea Lions become very aggressive and violent after too much human interaction. Considering Poplio is based on a circus seal at first and being super cheery, this seems to make sense does it not?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I kind of hope these icons are for upcoming Pokémon they plan to reveal and not associated with the starters. Not that I dislike the typings completely--rather my only problem with Litten becoming Fire/Ground is that it's supposed to have a resistance to Grass, but it will become a neutrality once Ground is applied. So not only will it be extremely weak against Popplio, but it won't even be able to resist Rowlett (on top of which, its Ground moves wouldn't affect it, either). On the flipside, Rowlett would resist both of Popplio's Types.

Thematically Fire/Ground could work because it could be based on a volcano, similar to Camerupt (and it fits with the Hawaii setting). And while I normally would prefer adhering to themes rather than trying to keep the starter trio completely "balanced," I feel Fire/Rock would have been a better choice than Fire/Ground if they were trying to base Litten off a volcano--while it does keep that awful Water weakness, at least it would maintain Grass resistance and hit Rowlett for Super-Effective damage with both its STAB Types.

Back