• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProGuava

ʇnoɥs puɐ ʇsıʍʇ
Years
  • Pxl Piano!

This is my piano pixel art i created today! tell me what you think!

finalizeEdit.png

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
    Years
  • Hello, um well this is really something for the 'spriters showcase' if you want to show individual pixel art.
    If you really want to keep this thread open, you need at least 4 pieces of pixel art for a pixel thread.

~Kian

Years
  • Hello, um well this is really something for the 'spriters showcase' if you want to show individual pixel art.
    If you really want to keep this thread open, you need at least 4 pieces of pixel art for a pixel thread.

~Kian

Slow down on the mini-mod there, my friend, and report it instead. Merged it because what Kian said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nam

Years
  • NamPokemonStyle.png

Alright, so I updated my pokemon trainer and tried to give him a more pokemon style of shading. I used less hues and I dithered the shirt quite a bit. I'm pretty sure It still needs a lot of work, but I'd like to get further criticism at this point. Thoughts?

Years
  • I require constructive criticism and SPPf is bad at giving it!

Shaymin.png

(Uh, I'm working on the left one, by the way. The right one was an old unfinished work that I put alongside it for comparison purposes when posting elsewhere.)

As you can see, it's mostly done except for the wings. I have zero idea on how to shade flat things that are angled away from the viewer. Can anyone knowledgeable in the areas of shading and how light works in general help me figure out where the shadows would go? I am at a loss. D:

~Chibi~

Years
  • WSC123-1.png

It looks very horrible :3

It's very compact. I think that's part of the problem. The legs are quite short so there's no space to give them the detail (like toes) you seem to want to give them.

I think you might want to adjust how the head connects with the body. You have almost a full circle for the outline on the head with a small area on the right where it blends with the body, but since that near-circle draws across the body from the top and bottom it kind of looks like the head is in front of the body from our perspective, which would mean it's a little off centered. Perhaps you could try making the head larger. That would give a more 'pokemon' feel since smaller designs usually have a larger head in proportion to the body.

NamPokemonStyle.png

Alright, so I updated my pokemon trainer and tried to give him a more pokemon style of shading. I used less hues and I dithered the shirt quite a bit. I'm pretty sure It still needs a lot of work, but I'd like to get further criticism at this point. Thoughts?
    Black is pretty much exclusive to outlines in a pokemon style. There's a lot on the shirt and shoes and it makes it hard to distinguish where the pants (which are also quite dark) meet the shoes.

Dithering (the checkered pattern) on the shirt is also uncommon unless you're aiming for a certain kind of texture, though that's usually not a concern with a sprite this size. They're usually simpler, with at least some areas of sold color. You don't seem to have any areas without a color gradient. It's pretty common to have, say, an upper arm to be just one color with a darker outline. It doesn't need to have several shades of color.

One other thing I'm seeing is that the shape of the body seems a little off. The torso looks a little long compared to the legs. The torso also looks unnaturally straight, especially where there is that one-pixel wide line of white between it and the arm.

The design of the legs and face look great. Don't change them much except if you want to try those color lightening or gradient reducing suggestions. The best thing you can do to emulate the official sprites it to look at them close up.

I require constructive criticism and SPPf is bad at giving it!

Shaymin.png

(Uh, I'm working on the left one, by the way. The right one was an old unfinished work that I put alongside it for comparison purposes when posting elsewhere.)

As you can see, it's mostly done except for the wings. I have zero idea on how to shade flat things that are angled away from the viewer. Can anyone knowledgeable in the areas of shading and how light works in general help me figure out where the shadows would go? I am at a loss. D:

~Chibi~
    I'm not sure what would be proper shading, but when I look at official art (pixel or otherwise) I sometimes see a pretty simple shading style.

Spr_4p_414.png
    414Mothim.png

Just a line dividing one side from the other. Maybe something like that could work.

Nam

Years
  • Thanks for replying. To be honest, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to use black as outline. If you go back at my previous version (a few posts up), I didn't use it at all. (Not pure black for that matter). So, can you give me any tips? How do I know where to put black as outline, etc.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    This thread deserves some activity. So I guess I'll just throw in the last pixel art I made back in spring and wait for some criticism:

sigpic246433_2.gif

This is an image of, well you know what. Not something impressive.

9baw6c.png

This is a PO from an anime character called Lelouch (I love Code Geass).

And, I'd also like some feedback for the animated Arceus on my signature. I made it a long time ago but never got someone to comment on it. And I just loooove the movement.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2011
    I think you guys are all doing pretty good.Tleit004 nice work on the trainer. And nice Earth Truality.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2015
    Pixel me like one of your french girls

So, my first Pixel Art thread, I made a Pikachu in 15 minutes from PixelOver

I used HGSS' sprite as a palette.

Weird thing in Pika's left leg, but it's my very first sprite (;
    ---
    Ok, before leaving the thread or leaving a comment, would you mind suggesting another Pokémon to PO? I can't decide and I'd like to practise ^^
    ---
    Can't post urls yet, see attachments (x

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    The top of pikachu's tail looks flat.
    And the mouth looks shocked like : O when in the picture above it's : D

Years
  • lolandbeer's thread is merged with the Spriter's Showcase because you need at least 4 original sprites, recommended scratch, to have a showcase.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    Alright, maybe it's too much to care about, but at least I want to keep activity up on the Showcase thread.

So I'll post these two animated OWs that I made a long time ago and wait for some comments:

• Arceus -
      m79nvp.gif

• Cutting tree -
      ipr2uo.gif
    You guys post your work as well! I'll be happy to feed your back any time!

Years
  • Alright, maybe it's too much to care about, but at least I want to keep activity up on the Showcase thread.

So I'll post these two animated OWs that I made a long time ago and wait for some comments:

• Arceus -
      m79nvp.gif

• Cutting tree -
      ipr2uo.gif
    You guys post your work as well! I'll be happy to feed your back any time!

I think that cutting tree animation could use an extra frame or two to smooth out the animation.

And I'm just wondering why Arceus' face turns red. XD.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    I think that cutting tree animation could use an extra frame or two to smooth out the animation.

And I'm just wondering why Arceus' face turns red. XD.
    Oh, my bad, I forgot to mention that the cutting tree is for my hack, and there need to be exactly 4 frames into the OW animation, so that's the pace in which it goes. Same is with the Arceus (only that I won't be using it-I made the animation smaller, meaning it's smoother).

Nah, it's not the face, but rather the eyes which glow more and more until they occupy the whole area around them. The same way the legs sparkle. *Turns evil*

Thanks for the comments, Logiedan!

Years
  • Been a long long time since I sprited anything.
    Here is a new pixel-art. just finished it today!

I'm gonna change some errors in this pixel sooner or later, but hope you all like it nontheless!

ThreeDragonElemental2.png

Type: Water/Fire/Grass

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
    Years
  • My first eva post in this thread:P
    Well i was working on a sprite for Ęℓαчиıı im not stealing it i did it for her...
    i think it turned kinda good...the shading need still improvement though that's why im posting it here:)

2cpozg0.png

Vanip

Bilaterus

ToBe Best Spriter ;)
    Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2012
    Hey I like the concept of the sprite and it looks really good! But obviously you've posted it for improvements soooo

1. Simple enough I think it would be better if the sprite was facing the other way -.- however trollish that sound i think it would be easier for you because in pokemon the light source is coming from the upper left hand side, so if it was facing that way it may be easier to shade

2. I think the arms could be made a bit more definitive because they are a bit difficult to see

3. I think it's a wing and if it is than maybe it would suit the pokemon if it was smaller and on both sides?

Hopefully this helped and after reading it I hope the tone doesnt sound too harsh or anything I'm just giving my ideas and want to see the next improved version :D

Years
  • 1. Simple enough I think it would be better if the sprite was facing the other way -.- however trollish that sound i think it would be easier for you because in pokemon the light source is coming from the upper left hand side, so if it was facing that way it may be easier to shade

2. I think the arms could be made a bit more definitive because they are a bit difficult to see

3. I think it's a wing and if it is than maybe it would suit the pokemon if it was smaller and on both sides?

Well...

1. The pose is perfectly fine, the eyes are directed towards the opponent, so it's fine. There are some official Pokémon that have this type of pose such as:
    630.png
    Spr_5b_031.png
    Spr_5b_210.png

2. Not much to argue here, but this Fakemon is just a baby form, it's not that reasonable to give it larger arms. Also I suggest you to look at the concept art.
    But I do admit it should a size that is similar to the official sprites.

3. Don't know if it should be smaller, but i'm assuming the pose and perspective makes the other wing blocked out of view.

Just giving a rebuttal.

For my criticism, I would say, first off, to add more contrast to the palette. A good example of poor contrast in the sprite is Vanip's right ear, you shaded:
    34qwvhk.jpg

You have about 8 shades of pink (excluding outline), and it is highly redundant. The anti-aliasing is TOO anti-aliased and you shouldn't be pushing it and trying to use that many colours. With more contrast and proper colour choices, it would look much nicer, and I think you only need 4 colours of pink for shading, highlights, base and outline (though I wouldn't use highlights).

The black outline is a bit harsh on the sprite, so maybe you could use a dark gray instead of the black outline, or use more of the dark pink. Overall, you need more improvement with colours such as conserving 'em.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back