• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
Years
  • The thing that really get's me is the is the line shading. I just, don't get chat you've done with it :P
    Some of the lines are really sharp.

I made something yesterday. It's an edit from Ditto's GSC backsprite.
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Years
  • I probably made it even worse :P
    Spriters Showcase Thread

It's a little cleaner, I think, but I'm not sure I understand what you did with the eyes. If I wasn't really clear, what I was trying to say was that having different colors between a black area (the eye) and a light colored area (the face) can give different impressions of what shape it is when you're working in small areas. You see how the eyes were crisper looking in the first sprite you posted? (and how they looked angry) In the reworked sprite you've made the eyes a little more blurry since you made more of a gradient effect that transitions more gradually from green to black.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Those white spots shouldn't be completely white.

More like an almost white with the tint of whatever colour the body is underneath, and light outlines when it crosses over the body's outlines.

Rossay

Quack quack
    Years
  • Just finished drawing Professor Lily -- the regional Pokemon expert for my game, Pokemon Adventure. I'm really happy with the way she has turned out although I did try to give her legs but I gave up because I was totally failing at drawing legs / shoes that looked remotely realistic.

Here are her introductory speech sprite & portrait (VS Sprite) respectively:
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Years
  • Just finished drawing Professor Lily -- the regional Pokemon expert for my game, Pokemon Adventure. I'm really happy with the way she has turned out although I did try to give her legs but I gave up because I was totally failing at drawing legs / shoes that looked remotely realistic.

Here are her introductory speech sprite & portrait (VS Sprite) respectively:
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    The first thing I noticed was that the eyes are quite nice. I like the "I'm bored/I'm thinking" feel you're going with, too. Overall it's a good start, but you'll definitely want to do some touching up, mostly with the anatomy.

You've made it a little harder on yourself by having the arms tucked in and all pushed together. It means you're going to be dealing with some foreshortening and will need to use some creative lighting to help give it that appearance. On the lower, left arm it looks like the upper arm is longer than the forearm by a considerable amount. Even though pokemon style characters are far from realistic in their proportions, you still want to have somewhat normal ratios so you don't end up with parts that are too long/short/etc. I'd suggest you push that forearm up a bit to shorten the upper arm. Overall it's a pretty tall sprite.

The hands need the most work though. With the hand on the chin it is hard to make out the fingers. It looks like you're going for some kind of cupping shape with shadow in the center and lighter skin all around it. You might want to try simplifying that and just doing the upper half in shadow. On the lower hand I think you've got the shadows backward. The back of the hand is in shadow when it shouldn't be. Really, since that hand looks closed rather than open you might even get away with using very few shadows or even none at all.

I don't want to keep nitpicking so I'll just say one more thing. You might want to move the right eye a little or the line between the light and shadow on the face. Look at some official sprites:

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

More of the face should be highlighted and the nose should be slightly more off center.

So, yeah, a good sprite and you can do a little more work to make it really good.

Rossay

Quack quack
    Years
  • The first thing I noticed was that the eyes are quite nice. I like the "I'm bored/I'm thinking" feel you're going with, too. Overall it's a good start, but you'll definitely want to do some touching up, mostly with the anatomy.

You've made it a little harder on yourself by having the arms tucked in and all pushed together. It means you're going to be dealing with some foreshortening and will need to use some creative lighting to help give it that appearance. On the lower, left arm it looks like the upper arm is longer than the forearm by a considerable amount. Even though pokemon style characters are far from realistic in their proportions, you still want to have somewhat normal ratios so you don't end up with parts that are too long/short/etc. I'd suggest you push that forearm up a bit to shorten the upper arm. Overall it's a pretty tall sprite.

The hands need the most work though. With the hand on the chin it is hard to make out the fingers. It looks like you're going for some kind of cupping shape with shadow in the center and lighter skin all around it. You might want to try simplifying that and just doing the upper half in shadow. On the lower hand I think you've got the shadows backward. The back of the hand is in shadow when it shouldn't be. Really, since that hand looks closed rather than open you might even get away with using very few shadows or even none at all.

I don't want to keep nitpicking so I'll just say one more thing. You might want to move the right eye a little or the line between the light and shadow on the face. Look at some official sprites:

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

More of the face should be highlighted and the nose should be slightly more off center.

So, yeah, a good sprite and you can do a little more work to make it really good.

Thanks for the detailed crit Scarf; I appreciate it. I see your point about the shade line being slightly off on the face itself and yes, the body is a bit disproportioned. I might adjust the post to something a little simpler to see if I can get it to look a little more natural. It's big because my game uses a 512x416 screen instead of the standard 256x208. I'll play about with it and post my results!

Years
  • I'd have kept it as a Pokéball, as it'd be easier to see. Also, it doesn't seem to have had any changes on the hair's outline. :?
    Actually, I did change the hair's outline a bit. And I realised that a Poké Ball isn't COOL enough for him. :V

Is it just me, or does that look like Aaron? :s
    That's where I got the head, because Aaron has my favourite hairstyle in the games. 8D

Rossay

Quack quack
    Years
  • So, I've been playing around with the sprite making a few little changes and adjusting the form slightly. Here are the old and new versions, respectively, for comparative purposes:

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

I'm more satisfied with the hand resting under her chin now though the one at her elbow I'm still not 100% sure about. I adjusted the torso & shading to try and excentuate her chest area because she looked incredibly flat chested. C&C please.

Years
  • So, I've been playing around with the sprite making a few little changes and adjusting the form slightly. Here are the old and new versions, respectively, for comparative purposes:

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

I'm more satisfied with the hand resting under her chin now though the one at her elbow I'm still not 100% sure about. I adjusted the torso & shading to try and excentuate her chest area because she looked incredibly flat chested. C&C please.
    Some good improvements. You gave the line down the middle of her coat more natural looking and improved on the hands, but there's more you could do.

Spoiler:

When you get up close to the hands you can see how you've formed these shapes based on where you put the light, dark, and outlines. I marked some areas in red to show how it seems to me. On the lower hand it looks like you've cut off one of the fingers (the lowest one) with an outline that separates it from the rest of the hand. Based on the shape of that hand and the lines you made to indicate the fingers there isn't much room for the back of the hand (the area between the wrist and the knuckles) which should be around the same length as the fingers, depending on what kind of hands you're trying to make.

Like I said, you have some more natural looking lines on this version and I just wanted to point out (with magenta) how you can (and did) use shadow to create a nice effect that suggests shapes and contours without using outlines.

I think you have some anatomy problems still. The wrist on the upper hand looks... off. I marked it in green. I'm not quite sure why it has that bend in it. And on the lower arm it looks like you have a premature bend because of that brown pixel which raises up at the end of the curve. Or rather, I think it's because the bare part of the arm is too thin near the elbow. People's arms are slightly wider near the elbow than they are at the wrist.

One other thing, I would suggest you experiment with more constant outlines. I mean that a lot of your outlines are jumping from black to a lighter color and back again. That's definitely a technique to use, but when it's the right time to use it. I can't really say when you should or shouldn't, but I feel like there's a little too much on this sprite overall.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • So, I know they aren't the best, so looking for help in improving. (Don't bother with the shading, I can't shade something this small if my life depended on it. XD)

Spriters Showcase Thread

They aren't Pixel Overs, obviously. The big ones are just there for the reference. I honestly love the Trio and Basic Badge. And then the Earthquake Badge as well. The others I feel could use quite a bit of improvement, but I figured no one else to my knowledge tried them, and Trainer Card makers need badges, so meh, I figured why not? XD

Collen

I have returned.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    Get ready for the starters.

#1 on the Pokedex...
    Poil (Grass/Flying type - Winged Viper Pokemon)
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Admittedly, not the best Pokemon, but it's a start.

Last edited:

Collen

I have returned.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    So, I assume I can post ravamps here?

Before:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

After:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Before:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

After:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Last edited:

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • I'm trying to create a little person for my signature, as below;
    Spriters Showcase Thread

If it's not obvious it's meant to be a little kid in a pineapple suit (I love pineapples).
    So I was having a little trouble with the legs and the pineapple lines, so I removed them.
    Any tips?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back