• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SquareEnix Answers: FFVII remake response.

Years
    Well done Square enix you are now as bad as EA and (almost, since you've not started porting last gen titles yet) ninty, good job. Seriously what with the (must be 3 or 4 now) releases of FF6, the 2 releases and one remake of FF4.

Matt, this isn't a bad thing.

Making a game more readily avalible isn't bad, it's smart. Some people entered gaming when FF7 took the world by storm, not knowing that there were other Final Fantasies on other systems, partly because they joined with the PS1. How was one to play the original games with just a PS1? Square fixed this, by porting them AND Chrono Trigger on PS1.

The Game Boy Advance ports work even better, because now you could take an awesome RPG on the go with you.

And I mean, I don't know how you'd complain about remakes of FFIII and IV. They took a sprite based game and remade it with 3-D Graphics, ON A HANDHELD SYSTEM! I mean, that's not laziness. If anything, it's making the game appeal more to the consumer.

By the way, FF6 was "re-released" twice.

Also, if FF7 is remade, please put it on a Handheld. It won't stand up as a console based game.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
    I missed out on 7, but fell In love with crisis core, I hope they remake this

Well there's something else I hadn't thought of.
    Playing a remake definitely won't beat out the feel of the original for us nostalgia goers, but I would love to hear what someone who never played the originals would have to say about it.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    Well there's something else I hadn't thought of.
    Playing a remake definitely won't beat out the feel of the original for us nostalgia goers, but I would love to hear what someone who never played the originals would have to say about it.

I'd rather hear why people who have never played the original and only seen Advent Children are so in love with it. Seriously a majority of the fans haven't played up to the Forgotten City. Sometimes I hear stupid reasons for people liking it, mainly "I like it because Cloud is in it", that's what I get from someone who hasn't played it and played Kingdom Hearts.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Matt, this isn't a bad thing.

Making a game more readily avalible isn't bad, it's smart. Some people entered gaming when FF7 took the world by storm, not knowing that there were other Final Fantasies on other systems, partly because they joined with the PS1. How was one to play the original games with just a PS1? Square fixed this, by porting them AND Chrono Trigger on PS1.

The Game Boy Advance ports work even better, because now you could take an awesome RPG on the go with you.

And I mean, I don't know how you'd complain about remakes of FFIII and IV. They took a sprite based game and remade it with 3-D Graphics, ON A HANDHELD SYSTEM! I mean, that's not laziness. If anything, it's making the game appeal more to the consumer.

By the way, FF6 was "re-released" twice.

Also, if FF7 is remade, please put it on a Handheld. It won't stand up as a console based game.

Like to point out where I said "Re-release" Dave? i said FF6 was released 3-4 times, and it has been, 3 times atleast. SNES, PS1 and GBA.
    Davis remaking a game, 3D or not isn't directed at making it more enjoyable for the consumer, it's about making more and more money for Square. You'd also do good to notice I never mentioned the Final Fantasy 3 remake (poor game imo) And it was a blessing on part of your argument that i overlooked the fact FF4 was released 5 times, not 2. There is no need, no need at all to release FF4 on the Wonderswan, the GBA AND the DS, much less the virtual console.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Like to point out where I said "Re-release" Dave? i said FF6 was released 3-4 times, and it has been, 3 times atleast. SNES, PS1 and GBA.
    Davis remaking a game, 3D or not isn't directed at making it more enjoyable for the consumer, it's about making more and more money for Square. You'd also do good to notice I never mentioned the Final Fantasy 3 remake (poor game imo) And it was a blessing on part of your argument that i overlooked the fact FF4 was released 5 times, not 2. There is no need, no need at all to release FF4 on the Wonderswan, the GBA AND the DS, much less the virtual console.
    If you don't like it, don't buy it. There's nothing compelling you to buy every re-release. People (including me) buy re-releases because they want to; what's wrong with putting something out there that people want to play?

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
    Years
    I'd love to see a remake for VII, especially with a little added content, like a few references to the Compilation titles, like maybe the ruins of Banora Village from Crisis Core.

However, I'd like remakes for V & VI first, especially VI. I'm still a little annoyed that they just get DS remakes while I'm positive that a VII remake will get the full monty and get made for a current or next gen console.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    Such a surge in fanaticism if this were to come to pass...

I wouldn't mind seeing it though, I'd like to see Cloud for who he's supposed to be in FFVII, not the sad punk in all the subsequent spin-offs and AC.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years

I wouldn't mind seeing it though, I'd like to see Cloud for who he's supposed to be in FFVII, not the sad punk in all the subsequent spin-offs and AC.

Actually he's like that in FFVII is well, at least he is when he finds out the truth about himself. Before that he thought he was impersonating Zack.

twocows

Years

Cloud was more annoying in-game than in the other stuff. He probably spent half the game whining about his past, and then the other half whining about that thing that happens halfway through the game (though there is some overlap where he's whining about both).

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Cloud was more of a jackass in the games and at least it was amusing sometimes. Now he's just emo emo emo and it's super boring. I prefer his character in the original game. :(

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
    FFVI remake, definitely. NOT FFVIII... Please God, not FFVIII...

I don't see why everyone thought that game was so bad. x]
    Well, no, I can answer that; The junction system.
    I still thought it was a pretty epic game though.

But yeah, it takes replaying FFVII to relike Cloud, I found out.
    At first I was thinking "Why do I have to play as this emo sack of fail?" but after he got done bawwing and remembered who he really was in VII's second disc you start to like him a little better.
    I don't think his english voice actor is going to be able to easily match his role in the original games, though. His voice actor is so lifeless. Same with Tifa's.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Omg I know. D: I can't stand Cloud or Tifa's English VAs. They're just so dull. v_v; I actually don't like Sephiroth's either.

:( Lmao damnit now you've given me a reason not to want a remake.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
    Omg I know. D: I can't stand Cloud or Tifa's English VAs. They're just so dull. v_v; I actually don't like Sephiroth's either.

:( Lmao damnit now you've given me a reason not to want a remake.

Have you heard cloud casting fire moves in Dissidia? x]
    "BURN. BURN. BURN."
    video of mage cloud:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy0owZNUntg

I swear if it's still the same VA (which I know it would be) I may have to mute voices through the options.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I don't see why everyone thought that game was so bad. x]
    Well, no, I can answer that; The junction system.

Actually, if it was just that, it would be fine. I personally didn't have a big problem with the junction system. In fact, it actually eliminates alot of grinding by tying the majority of your character stats to GF abilities (you still needed AP and the spells, but that was really easy to get with simple GF ability combinations). And this is nice for keeping your levels low while maintaining properly powered up characters. Once you learn it, it's actually a relatively good system.

My biggest problem was with the story. SpoonyOne says it pretty well. The story is rushed and the characters are pretty much the epitomy of anime stereotypes, and the ending just makes no sense, even to people that DO like the game. Seriously, there are more theories on the ending of FFVIII than there are shipping fics for the entire series. People have been banned from Final Fantasy fansites because they had differing opinions. When the real fans don't get the story, you know there's trouble in paradise.

All this while the game boasts the most realisticly designed characters they had in an RPG at that point. So of course we were expecting realism. Who wouldn't? If you're gonna have realistic characters, give them realistic weapons. There's a guy that wields a sword that shoots bullets and another guy that can destroy a tank with his fists! And if that isn't enough to convince you, they leave the key to a nuclear missile silo in the middle of the desert, unguarded! Who would do that?! I mean, REALLY!

And to think... FFX was worse... Yeah... That's what I thought about FFVIII... And FFX was worse... way worse...

But yes, I would love to see an FFVII remake, maybe after they remake FFV and FFVI. That would probably be the most likely scenario if they were going to do one.

Last edited:

twocows

Years
    Seriously, there are more theories on the ending of FFVIII than there are shipping fics for the entire series.
    Uh, and this is bad how? Some of the greatest stories in history have ambiguous endings. It forces the audience to think about the work. Also, hate on FF8 / FF10 elsewhere. This isn't the "bash your least favorite FF game" thread. :/

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I know, right? FF8 was awesome. After 7, it was my favorite FF.

I suggest that you watch the review that SpoonyOne gives FFVIII.
    Choppy story that focuses around love than world saving(or in this case, saving all time) and plotholes galore. If you remember the space scene, you will remember the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy that they pulled on us.

A Final Fantasy 7 would be ever so loved by the community; it sold the most games out of any final fantasy, and had the most remakes. It has what the public wants(a remake) and gives what the company needs(money.) I don't see why they shouldn't do it, unless they made it god awful like The Spirits Within.

And I can't believe you guys are forgetting about "beacause"
    Seriously.

The only thing I require out of the blatantly obvious is side quests; I would actually like to see a side quest for fighting Sapphire, Omega, and Jade WEAPON, since they didn't even make a good appearance(especially when Sapphire weapon was shot in the face by Sister ray and Jade wasn't even there, as well as Omega.)

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Uh, and this is bad how? Some of the greatest stories in history have ambiguous endings. It forces the audience to think about the work. Also, hate on FF8 / FF10 elsewhere. This isn't the "bash your least favorite FF game" thread. :/

Yeah, endings. Key word. FFVIII was twisted and contrived for the whole second half of the game. Even if you're not counting the endings, it's still hard to defend something so blatant. It's like they were running up on a deadline and had to throw together a ton of things in 2 discs. I think the most plausible theory I've ever heard for VIII is that all the characters were from different timelines and they all got thrown into the current one during their own time compressions. But even that has more holes than swiss cheese. You mention that it isn't bad, but I guarantee that even you can't make sense of it. The development team can't make sense of it. How's that for bad?

As for FFX, all I've gotta do to prove my point about it is post this as a response. Yeah, the hyperlink command is currently broken, so I'll just post it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU8-e-C4Uy0

Seriously, it's so bad that it's unfair. It really is indefensible, even if you are a fan of the game. And you know what's really sad? That's not even the worst of it.

As it is, I already gave my opinion on a possible remake of FFVII (the one where I said I'm all for a remake of FFVII, just not VIII). Try reading my post a bit more thoroughly before making ridiculous assumptions. Get in the game.

Last edited:

twocows

Years
    I suggest that you watch the review that SpoonyOne gives FFVIII.
    Choppy story that focuses around love than world saving(or in this case, saving all time) and plotholes galore. If you remember the space scene, you will remember the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy that they pulled on us.
    I liked the story for many of those reasons, not despite them. Same thing goes for 7; some of the unusual things they did just made it better for me.

Yeah, endings. Key word. FFVIII was twisted and contrived for the whole second half of the game. Even if you're not counting the endings, it's still hard to defend something so blatant. It's like they were running up on a deadline and had to throw together a ton of things in 2 discs. You mention that it isn't bad, but I guarantee that even you can't make sense of it. The development team can't make sense of it. How's that for bad?

As for FFX, all I've gotta do to prove my point about it is post this as a response. Yeah, the hyperlink command is currently broken, so I'll just post it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU8-e-C4Uy0

Seriously, it's so bad that it's unfair. It really is indefensible, even if you are a fan of the game. And you know what's really sad? That's not even the worst of it.

As it is, I already gave my opinion on a possible remake of FFVII (the one where I said I'm all for a remake of FFVII, just not VIII). Try reading my post a bit more thoroughly before making ridiculous assumptions. Get in the game.
    I can sum up my response with a single link.

Guess what? I enjoyed it. I thought it was a spectacular game, and so did thousands of other people. Cry all you want about how horrible you thought the plot was; I'll be over here, having fun.

And I never said you didn't provide a relevant response at all. What I said was to whine about games you hate elsewhere.

Back