• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Starters"

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
  • I like the original FR triangle, if it's not broke why try fixing it?

You could say that about the original FireRed game, though.

Anyway, I like the whole Grass/Water/Fire thing, I probably won't want to differentiate from that until GameFreak decide to make the switch. Which, in my opinion, is extremely unlikely.

DreadWaffle

LOVE AND PEACE!
    Years
  • why should we give them a pokemon in the first place?
    they can beat the game without it lol.
    LOVE AND PEACE!

Collen

I have returned.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    I like to use the Jhoto starters, however I might use

Aron -> Spheal -> Trapinch

The only thing is that if you choose Trapinch, Ice will totally screw you over, but you will make water moves do normal damage.

I would probably tweak their stats and evolutionary level, though.

Currently, you get Nidoran(f) as your starter.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Really, I like anything random, but powerful! If its weak... forget thet.
    Hahahaha!

Maybe:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Alexia

lunar Trainer <3
    Years
  • I like to use a triangle of Electric, Flying or Bug types. Most notably Pichu, Pidgey and Caterpi or Wormple.

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    I usually just hack to start with a level 5 pokemon of whatever I feel like. I have started with everything from a ratatta to a deoxys. It's pretty much just in what ever you find yourself in the mood for.

typhlosionLV80

Son of Arceus
    Years
  • I generally use the original type triangle, try to get pokemon with an evolution family that has the base (the starter) and then two evolutions. my last hack i couldnt do that, and now im starting from the beginning again.
    *EDIT*
    Thank you Original Darkwiz (i think i spelled your name right) for the link for the type triangles!

pikapip26

PikaXPip
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2010
    I like using Rock/Steel/Ice starter triangle. Make it interesting! :P Or a Ground/Electric/Water triangle! Or a Dark/Psychic/Ghost triangle! There are a lot ^^

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • I personally prefer to have 3 with The same type, but distinct Differences.

I used:
    Kangaskhan
    Kecleon
    Porygon

But thats just me.

.Awesome

Awesome.
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 11, 2010
    I would like to see a Rock/Ground/Ice triangle. That would be epic. If not that a Rock, Flying, Fighting triangle. There are lots actually. Like Dark, Psychic, Fighting, ect.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • I think a good starter Pokemon should not totally suck in battle. That's pretty much my only criterion. Does it suck in battle? { } Y { } N

Many hacks trying to avoid the usual starters fail this. They'll give you something like Oddish or Marill, and it'll take hours just to get to level 5. :C

If the player isn't given a choice with the starter, it's even more important to make it a decent Pokemon. I wouldn't enjoy being given a Cubone, especially if it isn't holding a Thick Club - it's stats are quite poor.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • I think a good starter Pokemon should not totally suck in battle. That's pretty much my only criterion. Does it suck in battle? { } Y { } N

Many hacks trying to avoid the usual starters fail this. They'll give you something like Oddish or Marill, and it'll take hours just to get to level 5. :C

If the player isn't given a choice with the starter, it's even more important to make it a decent Pokemon. I wouldn't enjoy being given a Cubone, especially if it isn't holding a Thick Club - it's stats are quite poor.

In addition to Cubone not learning an attacking move till level 10
    :rambo:

Good starters are those with similar characteristics to actual starters, meaning decent, well rounded stats and early evolutions. aswell as being easy to raise.

Rawr_I_r_Andii

Arctic Trainer
    Years
  • Meh, my opinion of starters, which is how the games should be, is either have multiple pokemon to choose from that are completely UNRELATED to eachother, at leats through first/second stage, or have them of the same type. If not, the hack should include a little 'mini' safari zone that the person who gives you your pokemon takes you to, and you catch what you feel like there, that way you have SOMEWHAT of a choice, and that all the pokemon in there should be of different types, preferably ones that DO NOT suck for that particular type. (Scyther for Bug ftew). Another suggestion I would have is have a choice of Pre-Evolution pokemon, such as Magby, Elekid, Smoochum, Riolu, Pichu(Good times...) Cleffa, etc. ... These are just my opinions and a game with features like that would be interesting, and MIGHT make the "IMA JUSS GONA DITCH EM L8RZ" statement in this situation go away. I also think that the Grass/Fire/Water is WAAAY overused and GameFreak should change it up a bit. (Maybe add some new types as well)

-Edits: Few typo fixes, I am a spelling Nazi, GOT A PROBLEM-O WITH THAT? Good. Also, added some ending comments.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2013
    In my hack, the hero receives an EEVEE and gets to choose between a water, fire, and thunder stone. I think that eevee is a great starter because it's so customizable. In my hack, Eevee also evolves into espeon and umbreon with moon and dusk stones :)

I also think this is a great way to go because everyone loves to catch the original starters in the wild or receieve them from someone later in the game!

Back