• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Study: Religious people harbour deep mistrust of atheists, about equal to rapists

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    If an atheist was willing to teach my children the word of God, that presents an interesting dynamic
    Would an atheist be proficient enough to do it?

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years

Would an atheist respect her views enough to literally teach her children the word of God if she wanted it?
    That's not what she was talking about in her most recent post. She was talking about respecting her views. No, I would not expect an atheist to teach the word of God to children of Catholic parents, but nor would I expect a Catholic to teach the absence of God to children of atheist parents. It runs both ways.

And Broken Arrow . . .
    and scientific evidence...oh please..what makes you believe they are right all the time...
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. I have no problem with you believing whatever you want to believe. Believe the world was created in six days, seven days, fine. Not an issue. My issue is that you continue to dismiss evidence. The quote I just pasted up here highlights exactly that dismissive attitude. You say that my tone needs to be nicer? How about yours? I may not have a religion, but you are dismissing and insulting my argument far more vociferously and carelessly than I am yours. Please remember that it cuts both ways.

If an atheist was willing to teach my children the word of God, that presents an interesting dynamic
    Would an atheist be proficient enough to do it?
    Proficient, yes. With the Book on the table, I would be quite able to teach children the Word. Not for a second would I believe it, of course, which might ruin the whole thing (but that's by the by), but it would certainly be possible. Personally, I have quite a grounding in the Catholic faith, and I'm sure even an atheist who doesn't would be able to get around to it somehow.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
    Years
    whisper,this is a misunderstanding happened...i didn't insult you..believe what you believe i won't argu with you about that..it's up to you....

the differance between you and me is like to prefer believing scientific evidence i prefer to believe holy books....you have your believes i have my believes and won't insult yours...

you have a tough way of talking..and i'm sorry if i said something hurts to you...

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    I read about this in my local paper on Saturday, and was fairly surprised by the results. There were a few extra points in that article, such as some people having more distrust for homosexuals than athiests. Regardless, I find it ironic that a country known for its multiculturalism and religious diversity has these issues with such a fast growing belief system.

My grandma and my mom were both raised Catholic, but my parents decided to let me wait until I was old enough to think for myself before letting me decide if I wanted to be a part of the faith. I am glad they did this, and I think I may be more accepting of other faiths as a result.

Last edited:

Misheard Whisper

Years
    I read about this in my local paper on Saturday, and was fairly surprised by the results. There were a few extra points in that article, such as some people having more distrust for homosexuals than athiests. Regardless, I find it ironic that a country known for its multiculturalism and religious diversity has these issues with such a fast growing belief system.

My grandma and my mom were both raised Catholic, but my parents decided to let me wait until I old enough to think for myself before letting me decide if I wanted to be a part of the faith. I am glad they did this, and I think I may be more accepting of other faiths as a result.
    See, now this. This would be an acceptable compromise. Maybe my far-fetched suggestion of keeping kids in the dark until age ten before letting them in on the idea of religion was just that: far-fetched. This sort of thing, though, would solve so many problems if more families thought like this.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    It's pretty much how it was. My parish was fairly liberal, I thought. It's not like someone shoved a blindfold on me whenever we drove past a mosque or anything; it was just that we weren't informed that said mosque represented an alternative religion. It was just a place where people that weren't us went. As for awareness of Judaism, no. Not really. There were a few mentions of 'Jesus, King of the Jews', but I just assumed it was a race rather than a religion. It was just glossed over. So in hindsight, it wasn't so much brainwashing as selective, enforced ignorance. Kind of the same thing, I guess, but . . . hell. I know what I'm saying, even if you don't. @_@
    But I did understand what you said. My point was that your experience was your own. It wasn't mine. And I hope it wasn't for a lot of other people - of any religion. To paint all religious people with the same brush would be incorrect.

See, now this. This would be an acceptable compromise. Maybe my far-fetched suggestion of keeping kids in the dark until age ten before letting them in on the idea of religion was just that: far-fetched. This sort of thing, though, would solve so many problems if more families thought like this.
    I don't think this is a problem. I don't think its the right method or the wrong method. I would just ask that for those who do wish to raise their children into a religious faith (and properly, unlike your experience) have their right respected.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013

My grandma and my mom were both raised Catholic, but my parents decided to let me wait until I was old enough to think for myself before letting me decide if I wanted to be a part of the faith. I am glad they did this, and I think I may be more accepting of other faiths as a result.

Which is what it should be for all people, really.

Extending to the whole topic... People should still live life how they wish, and choose whatever they wish, but they should understand that their child's life is not their own. Holding them to no experiences involving other beliefs and allowing them to decide how to live their life themselves is irresponsible as far as I'm concerned.

If you wish that your children learn about your religion in early child care, you should seek out a daycare that specializes in that. Averages daycares should not conform to your personal beliefs outside of specialization. Daycares in general should not be seeing atheists as less responsible or trustworthy as a general caretaker in their establishment. That is just ignorant.

People are who they are. Each individual is who they are because of how they live their life, and should be valued in trustworthiness based on who they are, not what they believe. Unfortunately, this issue with generalization likely extends to the reason of why people choose to raise their children in a strict manner for beliefs. Its more difficult to see exposure to other beliefs as positive when you see your beliefs as the only true good ones. Some of this type of thinking do seem to see enough good to allow general exposure and understanding.Though some people won't even see any good in other beliefs. The result of that is sad, in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Really. And what gives you that right?
    I imagine the basic custodial rights of a parent to raise a child as they see fit as long as it doesn't bring immediate harm?

I've got to say that the scenario proposed by Toujours about giving a child the right to pick? Yeah, not incredibly farfetched, that was essentially what my parents did with me. My dad was uber Catholic, my mom wasn't, so they gave me the choice. I wasn't thinking about the repercussions of my actions beyond the very shallow, "Hey, I get to go play outside for an extra couple of hours, yay!" aspect that seems important to a child. As an adult, I've found that I've really come to regret it. (I didn't truly become religious until I was nearly 17 myself and I always felt a step or two behind other people because they had, essentially, their entire lives on me in terms of how long they've read and studied the scriptures and the various books in the bible,)

I think a parent does have the right to guide their children into the life they want them to for as long as they have legal responsibility for them. It's a shame some parents willingly give their children an upbringing ignorant of other religions, which I think is next to impossible in this country outside of those super aggressive parents. There's nothing wrong with wanting a child of yours to believe what you do as long as you don't make it something they come to hate. There is a very strong difference between a superficial dislike of going to church because a kid would rather be playing and a person who has come to realize church and perhaps religion just isn't for them. At some point, a good parent is probably going to realize the difference between the mindsets and hopefully won't force their children into something that they will come to hate for a very good reason.

Yes, it's very possible to come into and fall out of religion later on in your life with little to no indoctrination beforehand, my case again, I was hardly religious before a certain age, but there's nothing wrong with a parent wanting to have their child follow their religion and their way of life until they're able to form coherent thoughts of their own regarding the subject. It's the basic right of a parent to have their child raised in whatever manner they see fit.

Also, I've never met a Christian who trusted a Muslim or Scientologist, so I think they're a step below athiests on the trust scale.
    Well, hey, you've met one now. My best friend is a Muslim and despite our religious differences, there are few people I'm closer to than him. Religion hardly plays into what we discuss with each other, more often than not we're talking about our lives or shows and movies we enjoy just like any other person would with a friend.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    It's the basic right of a parent to have their child raised in whatever manner they see fit.

There are legal limitations to this of course, which the state imposes. Such as: you may not raise your child in an environment that will negatively impact that child's welfare.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023

There are legal limitations to this of course, which the state imposes. Such as: you may not raise your child in an environment that will negatively impact that child's welfare.
    This much is a given, which is why I find it silly when people preface statements like that with "as long as they aren't abusing a child," but you'll have a hard time proving to most states that raising a child within a religion of any kind will negatively impact them.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    This much is a given, which is why I find it silly when people preface statements like that with "as long as they aren't abusing a child," but you'll have a hard time proving to most states that raising a child within a religion of any kind will negatively impact them.

I can think of several examples right off the bat:

1. Satanists who believe in human sacrifice.
    2. Specific denominations of Christianity where the followers do not believe in any form of medicine except prayer (there have been several instances of this happening in which children have died as a result).
    3. Fringe religious groups (offshoots of the Mormon religion) who still practice polygamy and where children as young as 8 or 10 are wed to older men.

Misheard Whisper

Years
    The thing is, though, that I do believe that. I do believe that raising a child as religious impacts upon them negatively, for reasons I've explained elsewhere in this thread, and multiple others. So of course I'm going to argue that people should not have the right to indoctrinate their children into any kind of religion, because from my point of view, that's something that should be argued.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    The thing is, though, that I do believe that. I do believe that raising a child as religious impacts upon them negatively, for reasons I've explained elsewhere in this thread, and multiple others. So of course I'm going to argue that people should not have the right to indoctrinate their children into any kind of religion, because from my point of view, that's something that should be argued.
    At that point when you find that you're trying to force your own beliefs upon those people just the same way parents might be doing with other children, both sides are going to see it as a negative. Realistically, I don't believe anyone is ever going to move beyond the medium we have now. If you want to raise your children to be religious, great, if you want to leave it up to them, that's cool too, but there is going to be far too much opposition on either side to ever have an outcome that clearly favors one side or the other.

Just speaking personally, I don't believe anyone should have the right to tell any responsible parent how they can and cannot raise their children beyond the basic rights of life. Once you start trying to push one agenda too much, you start getting into very precarious territory.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Just because a person is without religion, does not mean that person is without faith.

I'm sure she's aware of that, but I mean...let the girl decide on her standards in men at least.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016

I'm sure she's aware of that, but I mean...let the girl decide on her standards in men at least.

My comment was simply a correction of her statement that a person who is an atheist is without faith. As I stated earlier, another word for faith is hope.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

My comment was simply a correction of her statement that a person who is an atheist is without faith. As I stated earlier, another word for faith is hope.

Faith to me is the ability to accept and believe in something without of proof of its existence. Atheists seems to reject the idea of a God based on lack of proof.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Faith to me is the ability to accept and believe in something without of proof of its existence. Atheists seems to reject the idea of a God based on lack of proof.

Some of us just happen to be more logical minded than others is all.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

Some of us just happen to be more logical minded than others is all.

What logical argument can you make to disprove the existence of God without proof of his nonexistence?

You can say it's logical or whatever. It shows a lack of faith to me. I don't find that value attractive in a man.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    What logical argument can you make to disprove the existence of God without proof of his nonexistence?

Anyone with any level of scientific background can tell you that it's impossible to prove a negative. Atheists, such as myself, don't waste our time trying to disprove the existence of God. We leave it to the religious to prove their God exists.

You can say it's logical or whatever. It shows a lack of faith to me. I don't find that value attractive in a man.

Faith is what you make it. It's not a concept owned by the religious only.

faith/fāTH/
    Noun:

- Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
    - Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

Back