• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stupid Mistakes You Made In Your First Pokemon Game

Years
    When I was younger, I never got past Viridian City in the Gen 1 games...I didnt know how to move that damn old man!!! XD ;(

Chary

Yeah-Hah!
    Years
    Ohhhh...Wow...Remebering this...I made ALOT of mistakes on my first game...
    Ruby, when I was about 7 years old...
    I caught Electrike with a Masterball, not knowing what the Masterball was....

Solo'ed with Swampert, then I caught Electrike before the Elite 4...I only ever caught 3 Pokemon...

Taught my Pokemon useless moves...then later swaped those for, high power, high fail moves... >.<

Didn't go to the elite 4, untill Swampert was level 100 'cause my friend said that the Champion had a level 100!
    My Team before facing the champion in Ruby:
    Swampert 100 Blizzard, Focus Punch, Dive, and Mud Shot >.>
    No Equake and Surf on Swampert?! Ahhhhhhh!!!!
    Manectric 44
    Zigzagoon 13
    Ugh...I= Epic Fail back then

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    In Yellow:

- Took ages to work out how to find Oak.
    - More or less solo ran with Pikachu because I didn't know what 'switch' did.
    - Nicknamed Squirtle 'Tentacruel'.
    - Thought it was impossible to catch Mewtwo without a Master Ball.

Years
    Brock's gym + Pikachu + me not bothering to read = failure
    Same, lmao. I spent so much time in that battle XD;

Another mistake, I guess, I made was thinking my game was broken when I was trying to leave the room for the first time. I couldn't distinguish where the stair tile was, I think DX

I think my biggest mistake, though, was Metapod vs. Metapod in Viridian Forest.
    And, it, of course, was a caught metapod that only knew like Harden. And, it was a Trainer Battle, so I couldn't run XD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I just thought of another. Since I didn't make it far enough to get a TM in Yellow after my first fail, I didn't know how to use them. Next time I played a main game was Sapphire and the first TM you can get it Bullet Seed. I didn't know what it did, so I just gave it to a Sableye I caught later hoping he'd know how to use it, as if it were a berry.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2019
    In Pokemon Crystal, until Red. I only trained my starter o_0 it really screwed me up later on... XD It wasn't until Emerald I started evenly training my team

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    I thought something was wrong with the power when I first got a Pokemon poisoned, on the SS Anne. WHY IS THE SCREEN FLICKERING??? D:
    I think it took my Pokemon fainting from poison as I wandered around to realize, OHHHH, that's what that means. -_-

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    I think the stupidest thing I did the first time I got red was walk directly past the door to Blaine's gym without the key while the girl pacing around underneath was one square below me.
    IT APPEARS TO NEED A KEY IT APPEARS TO NEED A KEY IT APPEARS TO NEED A KEY
    The girl wouldn't move and the notification forced me to turn around and walk a step downwa-- oh wait, there's a person there. Better turn the other way instea-- IT APPEARS TO NEED A KEY.

You should just be grateful you didn't walk inside of her. That would've been... cruel and unusual. x3

The stupidest thing I ever did was that when I got my red version, I couldn't figure out for the life of me where the mart was. Therefore, I was stuck at Viridian...for what must've been weeks on months.
    Stupid Mistakes You Made In Your First Pokemon Game

W-why?! *Dunce cap* WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?! T~T

Years
    Wow. I don't have any stories like that. My biggest mistakes were:

1. Trying to find a Bulbasaur and Charmander in the wild (my starter was Squirtle)
    and
    2. Being really happy when I got HMs because I thought they were awesome moves. Man, I was so happy when I was able to teach Pikachu "flash".

Sleet

Forum Lurker
    Years
    God, where do I start? :P
    (All of these are in Pokemon Red)

Didn't know how to get out the house <_<
    Spent ages in Prof. Oak's lab thinking he'd turn up eventually.
    Couldn't figure out how to get past the grumpy Old Man who hadn't "Had his Coffee yet" :P
    Avoided every trainer I could because I didn't like battling
    Hence I battled Brock with a level 7 or something Charmander
    Sat in the SS Anne for hours thinking it would eventually set sail.
    Thought my game was broken when the screen started flickering indicating my Pokemon was poisoned.

Theres probably tons more i can't remember :D

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    I tried to catch every single pokemon I encountered when I first played my blue version. And I mean every pokemon (including trainers).

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I had to keep restarting Pokemon Red from the beginning because I thought it automatically saved the game file. It took me a long time to figure out that I had to click save and save it myself.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
    am I the only one who COULD get out of the house? (granted, I had Sapphire first)

and I thought the flickering meant the pokemon was still causing an uproar (I had a whismer and use uproar)

Years
    My very first Pokeyman game was the Sapphire version. I screwed up so much back then that just thinking about it makes me headdesk D8

One of the most pathetic mistakes that I can recall making is that I always battled with a team consisting entirely of "basic" Pokemon
    that are available at the very beginning. Y'know, Pokemon like Wingull, Zigzagoon, and Shroomish. I didn't have a clue about type advantages, natures, stats, or anything.
    Plus, I refused to evolve any of my Pokemon 'cause I thought evolved Pokemon looked ugly. As one might suspect, I never made it past the third gym leader. XD;

Sparky1232

Agile Beast
    Years
    I did solo runs with my starters on both Sapphire and FireRed. Surprisingly, I made through all the way up to the Elite Four on both. Also, I really hated battling trainers, so I did my best to avoid them. Oh, how times have changed...

Starling008

Fire Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    Hmmm...in LG(my first game), I wanted to fill my Pokedex. But to do this, I needed FR. I traded my Lv. 100 Mewtwo and Lv. 100 Dragonite to the FR so I could get through the game very quickly(I would trade them back afterwards). Well, I forgot my precious Dragonite and Mewtwo were still on FR, and started a new game. These Pokemon were hand-trained and I had not used even one Rare Candy on them. I later replaced them, but used my Gameshark to bring them back to 100. It was too painful to have to train them again.

On that same LG, I used my Masterball on Articuno(which I consider a mistake). It was my first legendary, and I didn't know how challenging it would be.

drivr3joe

Master Of Darkness
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2020
    1: In blue were i re taught a move to charizard and replaced overheat with scratch.
    2: Catching a Raticate with Master Ball.
    3: Using potions everytime i got hit.
    Just so many i cant name them all.

Back