• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stupid Mistakes You Made In Your First Pokemon Game

Years
  • My blunders in red blue and yellow:

Buying both red and blue, thinking they had different storylines to each other.

After getting the Pokedex, I went straight for Indigo only to be challenged o a battle by my rival who had a level 8 Charmander and level9 Pidgey to my level 7 Bulbasaur.

Catching a wild Kakuna and a wild Weedle. It wasn't until after weedle evolved to Kakuna that I found out trained Kakuna's can learn something other than harden*I thought your moveset changed when your pokemon evolved*

Never had problems getting out of the house, but I did continually go back to the house to see if my character had a father.

Two blunders with the masterball. The first one occurred when I tried to use it to catch another trainer's pokemon, thinking that ANY pokemon meant ANY one I wanted. Then the second time I sold it trying to get some quick cash, thinking that a protoype ball that can catch any pokemon would be worth something. I wasn't paying attention to the sell price, which turned out to be 0. >_<

Whenever I'd have any cash, I'd go to the game corner and buy coins*I wanted that Porygon* prior to beating the Elite 4, so I was really underfunded in terms of items.

I shut off my game as soon as the SS Anne left without me, because I thought I could ride it.

Gave all my pokemon nicknames to the point that I couldn't tell who the hell I was taking out of the box.

Thought moves like Sword Dance and Focus Energy did something

Bought that Magikarp for 5000 not knowing it was a common pokemon.

I smartened up in yellow, but that still didn't stop me from teaching Flash to Pikachu. :P

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Is that even possible without hacking the game? Either that or your game had a serious glitch, I imagine. This has never happened to me, but it would be cool if it did.

vinylscratchp0n3

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Years
  • I don't know if I made any mistakes like these, my older brother helped me through it.
    Although I hardly ever use TM's, I save them for when I really need them.

Years
  • To be honest, the first time I played pokemon was so, so long again I can't remember. But I think I was too excited with my little charmander and what I was convinced was an all powerful move in ember to bother with chasing after the other two

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2015
    running away from a shiny diglett in LeafGreen, and using my master ball on seviper in Sapphire

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • I did in Red, because I was naive and thought it was possible. :3

Later, I learned and felt foolish. But such is the fate of new trainers. :3

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Two blunders with the masterball. The first one occurred when I tried to use it to catch another trainer's pokemon, thinking that ANY pokemon meant ANY one I wanted. Then the second time I sold it trying to get some quick cash, thinking that a protoype ball that can catch any pokemon would be worth something. I wasn't paying attention to the sell price, which turned out to be 0. >_<
    Nahah, I tried to sell it too until I saw the price. O_o

Thought moves like Sword Dance and Focus Energy did something
    Swords Dance does do something, it's just Focus Energy that has no effect in R/B/Y :D

Major_Tom

Ground control to Major Tom
    Years
  • The first time I played silver I had received a shiny totodile and since it didn't look similar to what the box showed I reset the game, but this was prior to me knowing about shiny pokemon.

Benjamin510

The King of Typio's!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2016
    Pearl: Catch Pailkia with a masterball. and then for two months i spent trying to catch giratina.

Platinum: Walking around Lake valor for HOURS to find Platinum and Rowan.

SS: Not to catch those Electrodes. DAMMIT!

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I don't believe I was ever so stupid to have wasted time trying to catch the other two starters in the wild to be honest...although when I was younger, I was convinced that there was a way to get into the tall grass visible beyond Pallet Town's eastern and western fences where I theorized that you could catch all three starters.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Hehehe, I did.
    When I started my Diamond game (first ever!) and got passed the intro and got my starter, I was looking in the grass for the other starters :\ Anyone else ever done that?​
    Merged this into an existing thread in General Gaming.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2018
    On a hack of Emerald (My first game =P) my Zard had Scratch and Ember throughout the whole game.

Years
  • In Crystal when I first got it, I

-Released my Feraligatr because I thought it would stop you from releasing your first pokemon...but of course it didnt -_-
    -Started a new game in Crystal, thinking it would let me have 2 saves but it didnt.
    -Thinking when I started Crystal you HAD to be a boy like in Yellow, I chose boy instead of girl.

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Missed some fishermen and then an entire city in Silver because I apparently never bother to walk far enough to the left when I'm in a new place. D:

Years
  • Well i wouldn't call it a mistake in MY first game but when my brother was playing through Pokemon yellow i accidentally restarted the game and saved it when he only had to evolve his Ekans into an Arbok to complete the game.
    Again not my first game but I also couldn't for the life of me work out how i was suppose to trade between my Leaf Green and my friends Ruby.

Years
  • Nahah, I tried to sell it too until I saw the price. O_o

Swords Dance does do something, it's just Focus Energy that has no effect in R/B/Y :D

I wasn't paying much attention to sword dance as a kid. I basically nixed all moves that didn't do damage from my team thinking that they sucked *and a good portion of them do. :P *

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2011
    I remember playing in Yellow for the first time, and soloing Brock with a pikachu, I trained him on caterpies until he learned quick attack.
    Then I continued to use only my pikachu and some low level pokemon I caught to defeat the Elite 4.
    I remember I even got my pikachu to level 99 before starting my game over for no reason.

Back