• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suicide.

Memory

let's waste time ✖
    Years
    And i highly doubt your response. Thats a pathetic excuse.
    Oh, c'mon. What if you got repeatedly sexually abused, for example, and you honestly couldn't talk to anyone? And what if you don't want to be taken away from your family, and what if you don't want help, what if you think you can take care of it yourself and then... boom, you just shot yourself?
    It's no pathetic excuse.

Years
    Okay, this post is just plain rude. :/ Will all do respect, you have no idea what goes through a person's mind when they're seriously contemplating suicide. I know you haven't because if you've ever been in that situation you'd never have said what you did.

I have been in that situation, so clearly, you dont know.

People who are honestly in so deep that they feel killing themselves is the only solution need help. I don't mean that cruelly, I mean it very literally, they need help. What they DON'T need, however, is criticism and ridicule and comments like "it's selfish", "you're a failure", and so on. All that will do is make it worse.

Have suicide directly affect you then say that again. There is always an opportunity for help, me being the first person to jump up and do anything to help pull someone out of a hole so deep. But some people are only doing it becuase they feel sorry for themselves. Perhaps i shouldnt have been so general. There are people out there who just do it for the easy way out.

On a side note, some people think it's cool to talk about committing suicide, cool to say that they've thought about it / attempted it / cut themselves, whatever else, but the vast majority of those people aren't being truthful (I'm not saying all of them, but quite a bit.) For those who have actually experienced it, it's a private matter that they don't want people knowing about.

Yes. Publicising it makes it even more obvious that youre just an attention seeking idiot using a mental illness as an excuse. Thats what angers me.

Memory

let's waste time ✖
    Years
    Yes. Publicising it makes it even more obvious that youre just an atention seeking idiot using a mental illness as an excuse. Thats what angers me.
    Not necessarily. It's the quiet ones that worry me. Just because you are -wanting- help by telling people about your problem because you don't know who to go to does not mean that you're an attention-seeking idiot.

Nacon

Item Trafficker
    Years
    Yes. Publicising it makes it even more obvious that youre just an atention seeking idiot using a mental illness as an excuse. Thats what angers me.

I concur about the attention seeking factor.. but sometimes people simply need the attention to feel better.... or at least look at themselves differently.

Nacon

Item Trafficker
    Years
    Then they should seek the attention from the right people.

once again, I agree with that statement... but who are the right people? Therapists aren't always a help, parents can sometimes make things worse... I personally feel that the attention getting method is just basically a wild card.. let everyone know, and those who care to do something about it.

Memory

let's waste time ✖
    Years
    Bulletangel, it's not always that easy to just go find someone to help you. There are some situations where you just can't seem to open up to that person, you can't trust them fully, and there are some situations where they honestly can't help you. Trust me, I've been there more than once.

Years
    I don't recall saying anything contrary to this. In fact, I believe I said basically the same thing, just with better grammar. The trouble with today is that suicide has been glamorized by the mass-media. It's "cool", and so when there are genuine signs that a person may be battling it, it's ignored. "Crying wolf," so to speak (is there an echo in here, Cowrinkles? XD)

Also guys, just as a note, try to keep this as civil as possible. :/ It's a touchy subject and if this thread gets too out of hand it may very well be closed. If we can keep it civil, there's potential for a good discssion here.

My mother killed herself. She was helathy, but obviously ill. She didnt think about the consequenses that would impact her family or freinds. She just did it, figuring it was a quick fix, it didnt seem real to her. She didnt fully understand the concepts. I was fifteen, and quite capable of talking to her. We talked alot, but you'd never know she was depressed. One day i found out. I gave her countless opportunities to talk to me, and sort it out, but she liked the feeling of being sad too much. She purposefully avoided help simply becuase she liked to feel sorry for herself. It escalated. She decided on her own that nobody cared, and that she wanted out. She got what she wanted. She left me and my little brothers alone in the world. God knows where precious daddy is.

What a selfish woman. We arent bad off, we have alot of money to live off, food to eat and houses to live in. Yet she still seemed to think life was too hard. Now try telling me that Im insensitive.

Suicide is very real, but stupid in concept. I gave her what she needed, she didnt want to take it. She had so much to live for. We arent bad kids. What di we do to deserve that.

Nacon

Item Trafficker
    Years
    My mother killed herself. She was helathy, but obviously ill. She didnt think about the consequenses that would impact her family or freinds. She just did it, figuring it was a quick fix, it didnt seem real to her. She didnt fully understand the concepts. I was fifteen, and quite capable of talking to her. We talked alot, but you'd never know she was depressed. One day i found out. I gave her countless opportunities to talk to me, and sort it out, but she liked the feeling of being sad too much. She purposefully avoided help simply becuase she liked to feel sorry for herself. It escalated. She decided on her own that nobody cared, and that she wanted out. She got what she wanted. She left me and my little brothers alone in the world. God knows where precious daddy is.

What a selfish woman. We arent bad off, we have alot of money to live off, food to eat and houses to live in. Yet she still seemed to think life was too hard. Now try telling me that Im insensitive.

Suicide is very real, but stupid in concept. I gave her what she needed, she didnt want to take it. She had so much to live for. We arent bad kids. What di we do to deserve that.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Bummer she must've felt that idea was more beneficial than taking care of her family... and I agree with what you say about the results, though I am not a part of your life or know much about you, I do know how selfish "quitting" is.

and I completely understand why it wouldn't be considered insensitivity... that approach is what ultimately hurt you, but at least you're standing strong, I respect that.

no matter how lousy I have felt, I have always found that helping someone made me feel better, more alive.

Memory

let's waste time ✖
    Years

Well, I'm sorry to hear about your mother. And true, you did nothing to deserve that. Your mother was probably not completely selfish or horrible in her decision, though, and so I don't really think you should say that. My mum left me when I was four months old; she might as well be dead to me.

Maybe life WAS too hard for her. Even at 15, she refused to talk to you so you don't know what was going on for her.

Years
    Well, I'm sorry to hear about your mother. And true, you did nothing to deserve that. Your mother was probably not completely selfish or horrible in her decision, though, and so I don't really think you should say that. My mum left me when I was four months old; she might as well be dead to me.

How do you explain her actions then? Was she doing it to benifit us? Those around her? Herself? All it can result in is more pain. And what's even worse, my brother tried to do the same thing. Becuase all the greif from her suicide drove him into depression. He's 16. Sixteen years old. Tell me the positives that came from her killing herself.
    Maybe life WAS too hard for her. Even at 15, she refused to talk to you so you don't know what was going on for her.

My point with that was she had the opportunity to solve it.

My replies in bold, above =)

Years
    so is the family now up to you? Do you take care of your brother?

That's something better left to PM. You'll go off-topic. ^_^;

Also, guys, make sure not to result to flaming or anything. Just a friendly reminder, as this has gotten a little more intense than most threads around here. Granted, I haven't an issue with it yet, but it can get there... if that made sense. XD;

Nacon

Item Trafficker
    Years
    That's something better left to PM. You'll go off-topic. ^_^;

Also, guys, make sure not to result to flaming or anything. Just a friendly reminder, as this has gotten a little more intense than most threads around here. Granted, I haven't an issue with it yet, but it can get there... if that made sense. XD;

good call... yea... sorry about that... you know, with the discussion and such, I actually felt concerned.... it is a very touchy subject..

Years
    Um... you did it again, you know. D: I'll say it again: If you have something that doesn't pertain to the topic to say to someone, just PM them about it. It works wonders and keeps threads on-topic. ;)

I'd post my opinion if it was a good and informed one. I don't have real experience with suicide and suicidal thoughts, and I haven't met anyone suicidal, so I haven't anything good to say. XD;

Memory

let's waste time ✖
    Years
    good call... yea... sorry about that... you know, with the discussion and such, I actually felt concerned.... it is a very touchy subject..
    It is. And an interesting debate. But yeah... can easily get out of hand. D:

But back on topic, there's not only the one who killed him/herself but the survivors of the suicide. That's a whole nother matter to deal with. Because the survivors may need just as much help as the ones who ended their own lives. So it's just depression all around... and there -are- ways to get help. There -are- ways to heal yourself. Thinking positive, for example. Smile. Take time out of your day, and smile. Be grateful for what you already have. Move on. Become more social. Change.

Get help. It's waiting just around the corner, usually.... all you have to do is build up the courage to turn that corner, and turn around your life.

<3
    I'm so kewl, I'm like.. a counselor. *shot* No, I've just done a lot of reading and research and I've healed myself. And it is such a good feeling.

Nacon

Item Trafficker
    Years
    It is. And an interesting debate. But yeah... can easily get out of hand. D:

But back on topic, there's not only the one who killed him/herself but the survivors of the suicide. That's a whole nother matter to deal with. Because the survivors may need just as much help as the ones who ended their own lives. So it's just depression all around... and there -are- ways to get help. There -are- ways to heal yourself. Thinking positive, for example. Smile. Take time out of your day, and smile. Be grateful for what you already have. Move on. Become more social. Change.

Get help. It's waiting just around the corner, usually.... all you have to do is build up the courage to turn that corner, and turn around your life.

<3
    I'm so kewl, I'm like.. a counselor. *shot* No, I've just done a lot of reading and research and I've healed myself. And it is such a good feeling.

((to keep on subject ;) Sammi, without the need of PMing)

sometimes it's too hard to think positive if the pain of w\e you have is overbearing, and too burdensome...

I just hope that people here aren't viewing deppression as a "curable disease"... it obviously isn't, there's no real drug that can cure it, in fact, it cannot be cured. it is like a big gaping infectious wound that needs to be treated, not bandaged, hidden or covered.
    ((to keep on subject ;) Sammi, without the need of PMing)
    but as mentioned in a different thread, I said that unfortunately, there are people that you just cannot help, you win some, you lose some, and the ones you lose are the ones that tend to really hurt. but you can't expect to win every fight.

I've had a few "crying suicide" friends in the past, but I was pretty sure they were simplying crying for attention. It's the quiet ones that you really gotta look after since you don't know what's going on in their minds. One of my good friends back in high school was one of the quiet ones.... I noticed frustration marks on his arms (he wears long sleeved shirts, anyways) when he was taking off his jacket one day, and that's when my flags went up... considering I didn't know many sources to go to, I decided to go to a teacher that was a mutual friend to us at the time, and you know what.... he was able to help this kid out... all he ready needed was to be out of his household, away from his psychotic mother.... I guess you can see he had an overdose of her bullsquat

nosferatu

so you like... stuff?..cool...
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Apr 1, 2008
    Its sad that kids are feeling suicidal. If you asked me, id say child suicide is for attention.

Children cannot comprehend pain and hurt strong enough to cause suicidal urges.

err yes they can and its worse f or them because they dont have coping methods

Back