• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suicide

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
      • Many people today life a life that is considered a "social Faux pas." Because they are different, because people don't see life the way that they do, they are ostracized, and all their idiosyncrasies are made into big scandals. Their rights are revoked, and they are treated like scum. They are called "sinners" or maybe a "freak" or "weirdo." But is there really that much of a difference? They breathe the same air, live on the same dirt, drink the same water... . So what is it exactly that sets them apart? Their choice in love? Music? Style? How could something so trivial as this have such a big impact on how people view them? For the most part(if not for good) the choices on things like that won't even affect the people who constantly harass them.

However, they do not just sit idly by and let this happen. They fight back, they want the same rights, the same guarantee of freedom that everyone else has, they want a chance for happiness. As for some, it doesn't work out that way. That is what I'm writing this to focus on. They've had enough, they want out; toleration is out of the question. So what do they do? They give up, and go out the only way the can; suicide. For them it seems like it is their only option, their only way out. They've tried to cope, tried to keep a smile on their face, but for some reason, they just can't. They don't see the point in getting back up, they will just get knocked down again. They always have the promise that things will get better, but that is easier said than it is believed. Still though, even those who have seemingly perfect lives, who aren't harassed on this daily basis, even they have a break point. They don't have freak show lives, but the pain, it is steal real to them. They hide it, those with good and bad lives alike, they don't want to make anyone else have pain by seeing theirs. They blend in, and you couldn't tell who they were. For all you know, it could your best friend, the kid that sits next to you in your math class, or even the math teacher themselves.

====
        Gosh. So hard to not break into my own personal thoughts there and remain more factual than opinionated. I think I accomplished it... xD

After reading through that psuedo-anecdote, what are your thoughts on suicide? Some say it is selfish, others don't agree. What is your stance?

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Of course it isn't selfish. Those who do think this, just have little faith in humanity, or they simply don't care for humanity.

A person who says they are contemplating/wanting to commit suicide first and foremost just want someone to talk to, something to hang on to so to speak. :)

No one deserves to die because of some difference, and watching idly by as you see someone get bullied just makes you as guilty. Imagine seeing a kid getting bullied, then the next day you find out he committed suicide. Sure you were not the one directly involved, but there were a number of things you could have done to gain attention to the current situation, like intervening or telling a teacher/parent or what not.

I also don't understand why people need to make fun of differences. But, if you fight against it, and don't sit idly by, you are making a difference.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    No one deserves to die because of some difference, and watching idly by as you see someone get bullied just makes you as guilty. Imagine seeing a kid getting bullied, then the next day you find out he committed suicide. Sure you were not the one directly involved, but there were a number of things you could have done to gain attention to the current situation, like intervening or telling a teacher/parent or what not.

Exactly. Isn't that something that we typically pride ourselves in? "You are unique etcetc." So why do those people who truly express the uniqueness get bullied?

It isn't always about what you don't say. You could never say a mean thing to anyone in your life. But that won't help it when comes to the kid who just wants someone to say the word "friend" to them. It won't help at all.

There was this kid in my school, who had a problem. I have no idea what it was, but it was definitely anger related. I tried to talk to him you know? Be his friend, but he just shrugged it off, cursed me out. I think that it would have to do with so many people approaching him just as a joke. I have not seen him in school for like the past two months. I have no idea what happened to him, and I just hope that it isn't suicide.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Sometimes it is at a chemical level too (aside from thinking everyone to be untrustworthy), but yeah, it is obvious to see why. If it was pertinent however, he hopefully would come to you.

It does sound like however that he'd have more luck with an adult friend.

~Darkness~

NJ All Day
    Years
    What are your thoughts on suicide?
    Its something were going to have to deal with in this kind of world. People cant control this. Some people just dont want to live anymore, and I'm fine with that. But I dont see why anyone would wanna end their lives before their time.

.Fenris

Just a bystander, don't shoot!
    Years
    Exactly. Isn't that something that we typically pride ourselves in? "You are unique etcetc." So why do those people who truly express the uniqueness get bullied?

It isn't always about what you don't say. You could never say a mean thing to anyone in your life. But that won't help it when comes to the kid who just wants someone to say the word "friend" to them. It won't help at all.

There was this kid in my school, who had a problem. I have no idea what it was, but it was definitely anger related. I tried to talk to him you know? Be his friend, but he just shrugged it off, cursed me out. I think that it would have to do with so many people approaching him just as a joke. I have not seen him in school for like the past two months. I have no idea what happened to him, and I just hope that it isn't suicide.

Good lord, he sounds exactly like me, but, some odd force keeps me from just ending it.

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2011
    No matter what anyone says, I firmly believe Suicide isn't the answer. Many alternatives to many aspects exist in life, but ending your problems with death isn't right by any means. You end your experiences you never got to encounter, your greetings with people you never got to meet, your fortunes you never had the chance to gain, and most importantly, your friendships you never got to make. Ending your life is a complete game over, and no matter what you do, once you do it, you're done. That's it.

This is why I believe Suicide shouldn't be the only outlook for anyone; no matter how bad it gets, it can always turn around.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    I'm going to admit it here, I've thought about suicide. One of the things that keeps at me at bay is this:

Who said death was escape? No one knows what awaits. What if you are just some consciousness left forever to perpetuate what has gone on in life(the most horrible fate, no?) or what if you go to some other life, be it heaven or whatever, and are just as miserable there? Just mainly, what if it isn't the great escape that you think it might be.

Serperior

ɱɛʟт
    Years
    I'm glad that people like the OP exists... I'm not exactly the happiest person either [but that's another story for another time], and knowing there are humane people out there who don't act like they are from /b/ or something...

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    What are your thoughts on suicide?
    Its something were going to have to deal with in this kind of world. People cant control this. Some people just dont want to live anymore, and I'm fine with that. But I dont see why anyone would wanna end their lives before their time.

This is exactly the sort of wrong attitude to go about. (see comment below for more)

No matter what anyone says, I firmly believe Suicide isn't the answer. Many alternatives to many aspects exist in life, but ending your problems with death isn't right by any means. You end your experiences you never got to encounter, your greetings with people you never got to meet, your fortunes you never had the chance to gain, and most importantly, your friendships you never got to make. Ending your life is a complete game over, and no matter what you do, once you do it, you're done. That's it.

This is why I believe Suicide shouldn't be the only outlook for anyone; no matter how bad it gets, it can always turn around.

You may believe that, but a suicidal person will not. They have already exhausted every other means, and have otherwise failed. I realise putting yourself in their shoes can be difficult, but it is possible. If enough people start calling you names, you may start to believe it. Someone with a low self esteem might only see a pin prick's worth of light at the end of the tunnel as a result and might instead enjoy the solace of eternal sleep...

I'm glad that people like the OP exists... I'm not exactly the happiest person either [but that's another story for another time], and knowing there are humane people out there who don't act like they are from /b/ or something...

Though the "success" of /b/ is merely anonymity. I'm sure if you approached most of those people individually, they would say otherwise. Only sociopaths are indifferent.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    That is the thing about suicide, you can't gauge the pain of others. You never know how someone feels in the situation that they are in. What seems trivial to you, could mean the world to them.

Anthraxinsoup

Professional Vidya Player
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    This is exactly the sort of wrong attitude to go about. (see comment below for more)

You may believe that, but a suicidal person will not. They have already exhausted every other means, and have otherwise failed. I realise putting yourself in their shoes can be difficult, but it is possible. If enough people start calling you names, you may start to believe it. Someone with a low self esteem might only see a pin prick's worth of light at the end of the tunnel as a result and might instead enjoy the solace of eternal sleep...

Though the "success" of /b/ is merely anonymity. I'm sure if you approached most of those people individually, they would say otherwise. Only sociopaths are indifferent.
    I don't see how this is true. I don't share many ideological beliefs with many of those idiots, but I will always stand up for what I believe in and what I fight for. Ask me in real life or on a computer(when it is time), and I'll stand up for what I believe. I don't know, it might just be, and I might fit this "sociopathic" set, but I am proud in who I am and what I believe in, and all people should be the same(in my opinion).

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    To address the OP's ..OP: I'm not sure where you live, but in the US (except mebbe deep Alabama, heh) there's been a gradually increasing wave of acceptance for 'alternate' lifestyle choices since the 1920s - the most obvious example would be widespread acknowledgement of gay/lesbian/bi/etc sexuality. Most of the opposition to extreme or alternate lifestyle choices either comes from a short-sighted traditionalist view, or recognition of the fact that Choice A is not a viable or sustainable lifestyle for humankind. Pick a non-heterosexual orientation and pretend that everyone in the world adhered to that orientation: there goes the concept of traditional reproduction (in b4 IVF). Not hijacking here, just clarifying. The same goes for a stereotypical 'nerd' who doesn't have good communication skills - this group may be ostracized because people instinctively realize that communication and adaptation are fundamental parts of being a successful human.

On suicide:
    I support one taking control of their last decision, assuming they're either in such a psychologically & physically irreversible frame of mind that it's their only perceived option for relief (i.e. suicide as a positive goal), or someone who's lived decades, experienced different environments, cultures, etc; and has decided that off is better, or that they're simply done: an 'honorable' suicide, by choice.

More likely, it's someone with one or more mental illnesses who will refuse or avoid treatment and help, and are thusly drawn towards one black and white choice. I've known several people who were in that position; one was/is? committed, the others killed themselves. In all those cases, each one earnestly believed nobody cared about them, despite strong and persistent evidence to the contrary; they refused treatment, or lied about getting help.

Basically they had convinced themselves into a black hole that they were psychologically incapable of getting out of. When you're in that situation you're thinking from a wildly skewed perspective, so when someone tells you to 'snap out of it' or that 'things will get better', it literally will not compute.

For clarity, I'm not talking about common depression or someone ragging on another's musical taste, socioeconomic status, choice of friends, etc; I'm talking about serious and deep-rooted issues that some people carry throughout their lives.

Suicide at a young age, however, is asinine and short-sighted. Life inevitably gets better, all you have to do is push through it.

There's also a slight question of eugenics towards unproductive groups who may be drawn to suicidal thoughts - those who don't strive to improve self, environment, or society, whether from inertia or mental illness. But that's not really in the scope of this thread.

----
    I went through the cutting and related crap, and though my grievances were 100% real and devastating at the time, I can't believe what an idiot I was - both to think that, at the time, it was the WORST PAIN EVAR to be experienced in life, and that I gave myself lifelong scars over issues so trivial. Things hurt a lot more significantly as you age, you just develop better coping skills.

ETA: oh yeah, the 'suicide is selfish' argument is utter BS. Living for someone else is a revolting concept.

Anthraxinsoup

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    I went through the cutting and related crap, and though my grievances were 100% real and devastating at the time, I can't believe what an idiot I was - both to think that, at the time, it was the WORST PAIN EVAR to be experienced in life, and that I gave myself lifelong scars over issues so trivial. Things hurt a lot more significantly as you age, you just develop better coping skills.
    Least you can say it was stupid. I never got cutting and have always been opposed to it, as it is very stupid. But then again that's me, I get sad, I just push it down and go on and become happy again. Ignoring emotions have made me happier, it's not like people say.

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    I don't see how this is true. I don't share many ideological beliefs with many of those idiots, but I will always stand up for what I believe in and what I fight for. Ask me in real life or on a computer(when it is time), and I'll stand up for what I believe. I don't know, it might just be, and I might fit this "sociopathic" set, but I am proud in who I am and what I believe in, and all people should be the same(in my opinion).

/b/ is a collective, which by nature squash individuality and gravitate towards mediocrity. (any more -ity's I can add to that? :P )

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    You'd be surprised to see how many untreated cases of depression there are every year.
    And depression is the most common form of mental illness.
    Wikipedia for more info.

Anthraxinsoup

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    /b/ is a collective, which by nature squash individuality and gravitate towards mediocrity. (any more -ity's I can add to that? :P )
    I am a collectivist, but not in that form, nor am I friend of the new /b/ at all. Been crappy for like 4/5 years now.

You'd be surprised to see how many untreated cases of depression there are every year.
    Wikipedia for more info.
    I doubt in my mind that Depression is a mental illness, all people get depressed and it's a natural thing.

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    Wikipedia for more info.

Yeah that's why I tried to draw a difference between depression and crippling-mental-illness-level depression. Not trying to downplay chronic depression's effects on an otherwise mentally healthy person, just, yanno, there is a huge glaring difference between the two.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    I doubt in my mind that Depression is a mental illness, all people get depressed and it's a natural thing.
    Not everyone actually gets depressed. Lots of people say that they are, but they never actually are. There is a difference between being sad and being depressed. When you are depressed, your body doesn't make enough positive chemicals in reaction to stimuli.

To address the OP's ..OP: I'm not sure where you live, but in the US (except mebbe deep Alabama, heh) there's been a gradually increasing wave of acceptance for 'alternate' lifestyle choices since the 1920s - the most obvious example would be widespread acknowledgement of gay/lesbian/bi/etc sexuality. Most of the opposition to extreme or alternate lifestyle choices either comes from a short-sighted traditionalist view, or recognition of the fact that Choice A is not a viable or sustainable lifestyle for humankind. Pick a non-heterosexual orientation and pretend that everyone in the world adhered to that orientation: there goes the concept of traditional reproduction (in b4 IVF). Not hijacking here, just clarifying. The same goes for a stereotypical 'nerd' who doesn't have good communication skills - this group may be ostracized because people instinctively realize that communication and adaptation are fundamental parts of being a successful human.
    Yeah, I know. Acceptance is picking-up. The idea is to look deeper than what I wrote. I merely put the appetizer on the table, you have to make the main course. It might still be getting widely acceptable, but I'm sure that every gay person in their life has that one person(probably more) that call them "******s", say they are "disgusting" or something to that degree. If you mix that with a depressed person.. and one that already hates their life styles, that doesn't bode well for them.

Not everyone accepts them, and they shouldn't expect that. But those people that don't accept them, when they vocalize it, it stings. Even if people don't directly do it, tings they say and do could already hurt someone.

Years
    No matter what anyone says, I firmly believe Suicide isn't the answer.

Ok, the last time this thread came up, I got that upset about peoples blind opinions, I got infracted. So lets not have a repeat and lets keep this civil.

Nearly 7 years ago, by best friend took his life. I still don't know why. I still don't understand. But how can you say that it isn't the answer. Have you been in that situation of nearly taking your life? I can't comment for you, but I hope you haven't, because no one should have to be in that situation.

Let us not forget, depression is a big factor. I am not talking about people who act like they are depressed, or just want the attention, but clinical depression. This will make you do things that can't be explained. It is the one thing that you can't put down to logical thinking, because you don't know how they are thinking/feeling. Although I am still upset to this day that I have lost one of my best friends, I just wish I knew, so I could have been there for him. It is so hard to think if I could have done something for him to make it better. But, sometimes, people who take their own lives don't want to tell anyone about how they are feeling.

The bottom line is, we can't really comment on if it is the right thing to do or not. From a logical point of view, you can say that it isn't. But, if someone is truly depressed/other medical reasons, then who are we to say it isn't the right thing to do?

It is a black area that makes me upset every time it is spoken about, so I apologies now, if I get annoyed or angry with anyone.​

Back