• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suitable English or Internet Slang?

Ronin_RedWolf

DarkWolf Clan
Years
  • The standard set of abbreviation's are fine (i.e. WTF, LOL, LMAO, etc.). However, when you start misspelling words, and abbreviating short words ('you' as 'u', 'thanks' as 'thx', etc.) then it starts to get stupid. It's not hard to type 'you' it's two more keys to hit. Not that hard. It'll make you sound smarter when people read what you write too. I don't care who writes it, but when I see:

OMG!!!!!!1111 Did u se teh uber gunz on dat dude!!!!111 it wuz like teh culest thng evar!!!!!!1111oneoneone1eleven!shift+1

I automatically deduct 200 IQ points and rank their age at about 7.

Krafty Quill

Banned
    Years
  • The standard set of abbreviation's are fine (i.e. WTF, LOL, LMAO, etc.). However, when you start misspelling words, and abbreviating short words ('you' as 'u', 'thanks' as 'thx', etc.) then it starts to get stupid. It's not hard to type 'you' it's two more keys to hit. Not that hard. It'll make you sound smarter when people read what you write too. I don't care who writes it, but when I see:

OMG!!!!!!1111 Did u se teh uber gunz on dat dude!!!!111 it wuz like teh culest thng evar!!!!!!1111oneoneone1eleven!shift+1

I automatically deduct 200 IQ points and rank their age at about 7.

Minus 200 IQ Points? I think you're being a little too generous. 250 should be the minimum to deduct. That example you got there is the epiphany of idiocy; the exact definition of idiocy written by an idiot. It gets really annoying to read too. I never type like that. =x

Some people get irritated by smilies. But I see no harm in a round little yellow face :P

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    I usually use a mixture of both. While I usually type in proper English, I sometimes use "wtf", "omg", and very scarcely "lol", especially when chatting to friends. I try to restrict myself from using these when talking to people I normally don't chat, though. Then again, I usually just use smilies to substitute for these words...

Years
  • Normal english with a bit of slang, here. I like using some acronyms - wtf, ftw, lol, and brb are the ones I use the most. I'll also a bit of "n00bspeak" if I'm in a silly or mocking mood or whatever, and if I think the people I'm talking to won't take me seriously if I do so.

However, I can't use such slang (aside from the acronyms) on a normal basis. I'm just so used to typing out words like they should be spelled that it's just too much of a bother to me to try spelling them otherwise.

charizard_maa

Queen Chair
    Years
  • I like to stick with regular English. I don't like the fact that young people these days are degrading our english lanugage with lol or other terms. I don't even use XD. I like to use regular english because it just makes me look cool when I use Haha when I laugh. Also I know I don't use correct english or spell words right but oh well. I am not an english major. haha

English slang is cool. lol isn't.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    I used proper English with an occasional wtf, ftw, smilies and the extremely rare lol. One thing I can't stand, though, is when people staert 2 talk liek tis & r serious bout it. =) it cna B very annoying. <.< Seriously, it doesn't take much longer to spell 'you' than it takes to type out a 'U,' same thing with 'thanks' and 'thx' etc. Horrible graamer adn speeling makes my eyes water and makes me feel like I want to bang my head against something. ;_; Well, it is okay if you aren't a native speaker and haven't got proper English education, but the sad thing is that I've seen many people who should be able to write perfectly good English write the same way I did back on the 3rd grade which was back when I didn't even have English as a school subject. Don't ask me why they don't teach English at school before the fourth grade here. ._.

T3hCoM

Lunatic Moon Rabbit
    Years
  • I prefer proper English. However, I still use certain acronyms such as BTW, LOL, and WTF. I'm not a great fan of chatspeak of 1337, I only like them if they're used for joke purposes.

Nashua

lovely, isn't she? :D
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2013
    I stick with using regular English most of the time on the internet, with MSN, and on cellphones.

Legacy

The Living Legend
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2009
    I stick to proper English when I'm posting on forums or using a messenger service like MSN. It bugs me to see people typing things like 'ur' and stuff when it takes less than a second to add those extra two letters.

When I'm sending a text message from my cell, I will use a bit of text slang, though. But that's only because I can only afford a certain amount of characters per text otherwise I get charged double, so I make cutbacks as and when they're needed.

Roni Love

Veronica xoxox Loves ya.
    Years
  • well it depends. I sometimes talk using proper english and other times lyke omg ionno... lmao.... wtf that's insane! well brb.... no wait g2g :P :P :P :D :D :D

hah

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I speak all versions of internet slang and Proper english.
    It depends on the context and mood of where i am posting/iming/blogging/texting
    In text messages i use a lot of shortcuts like lol and IMO. Even on a forum like this i use IMO because i dont feel like typing "in my opinion" and if i say i think or i belive instead of IMO it kind of makes me look bad. I am a Very opinionated person.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • 99.99% proper English (including punctuation and whatnot -- or trying, at least), .01% Internet slang, which is usually limited to the following:

- WTF (and that's usually in a light tone anyway... while possibly evading a word censor or two to get across the same meaning)
    - BRB (because any reason why I need to be away from the computer is most likely too urgent to spend a few more seconds anyway... like bathroom runs or those times when my floormates realize that my room isn't empty)
    - OMG (usually when I'm trying to be funny)
    - plzkthnx (usually in fangirl mode, although also whenever I feel particularly sarcastic)

Otherwise, I really don't use it that often quite simply because an overuse of it would be considered a sign that the person writing is, well, not particularly intelligent. Yes, the English language evolves, and yes, it's evolved out of laziness in the past. (Contractions, anyone?) However, if it's not something you'd see written in a book (As in, for example, you don't pick up a copy of Harry Potter and see Harry say "omg ive got 2 tell u all that voldies comin back!!1"), then I really don't see the point of using heavy amounts of Internet slang outside of the chatroom, especially since there's no rush to post and a multitude of online guides to grammar, dictionaries, and spell checkers at one's disposal. (Thank you, Google.)

coachwhipneoship

squeezer of lemons
    Years
  • I'm 50/50. Even though I normally speak and write very properly, and I love English class and I can be a spelling/grammar Nazi...all the same, I think the Internet slang is funny and I find myself not only using it online, but also speaking it in daily life--simply because it's fun, and most of the time people sort of know what I'm talking about. I use emoticons frequently too. It's funny...while it can annoy me when I don't think people KNOW how to speak proper English (seeing "10 items or LESS" instead of "10 items or FEWER" on express lanes BUGS ME SO MUCH)...as long as you DO, it's even funnier to go around using all the modern and Internet slang, and speaking in "l337 sp33k." It makes me L0L/lawl...XD

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
  • Most of the time I talk with proper English, except for faces like "xD" and ":3". But on YIM, if its in a convo with four other people, I tend to talk in slang.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Usually I will the normal abbreviations(i.e. LOL, ROTFL, brb, etc.). And I usually will use smileys( i.e. XD, o.o etc.). But I usually speak and write proper English all the time. Online and offline.

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
  • I use very little internet slang. I try to type as properly as possible. However, I will use '1337' in jest and I do use some cyber-acronyms.
    I can't stand it when people only talk in that crap though. Or WhEn ThEy TyPe LiKe ThIs

Back