• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Do you think it is real or fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
    Years
    I got the demo codes in an email from Nintendo. I actually.. Wasn't going to use them lmao, but I did put 3 up on my instagram and let whoever use them. (since I didn't really know anyone who wanted the codes, but finding the amount of people who want them is insane 0_0) haha. I did save one for myself and used it!

The graphics are pretty fantastic for a 3DS, as for the controls, they're okay. I don't like the feel of playing it on a 3DS though, I'm not quite sure why, probably because I'm not use to it. I will probably end up buying one copy for my 3DS and another for my Wii U, but I'll play it on the Wii U more since yay bigger screen.

I wasn't a fan of Megaman, I think his shots are kinda slowish, just to watch that little lemon bullet shoot out but if anything, it does resemble the Megaman game. But the Rush jump is a great savoir.

Uhh Link, same as he was before I guess, I only used him once because I was just getting the feel of the controls and I died first time using him lmao

Pikachu, yeah same as the other games. I abuse the PIKA thunder attack, where the lightning bolt comes from the sky lmao

I didn't even use Mario lol

NOW Villager, oh my lord, it is just hectic to play. And the most fun to play with. I'm pretty sure I kept getting KO's on others and didn't even go past 50% health haha. To be honest, Villager feels like a button basher and that is what I am lol but it's just so... insane to play with and a heck load of fun, probably my favourite so far though.

I'm pretty stoked for the game though, can't wait until it comes out. :)

Years
    I've been watching gameplay, and since I don't have the demo (nudge, nudge), that'll be the best I can do for a while.

The game looks really nice. Villager looks super fun to play as. Mega Man, however, looks kinda boring.

I'm super excited for this game. And the Wii U version is going to be awesome, too.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Guess I'll give my impressions for the characters

First, the worst. Mega Man. There is absolutely nothing redeeming about him. UAir and BAir are his only good aerials, FAir is pretty damn laggy for a move that has underwhelming knockback. DAir is just slow all together.
    His smashes? FSmash is good and has lots of range, but it's also really easy to punish. DSmash is so bad though, Mega Man takes like 8 years to get back from using. USmash is good racking up damage but not for KOing at all. FTilt is his jab (which SUCKs, btw), except he moves. DTilt is pretty good though, it punishes rolls very well and complements his aerials pretty well. UTilt is his best kill move imo, but it's really hard to get right and is very easy to punish.
    His specials are underwhelming across the board. Metal Blade is weak and doesn't have much range, and Crash Bomb is easy to block or even use it against you. I honestly have no idea what the point of Leaf Shield even is. Rush Coil is his only good special.

Villager is weird, like really weird. I haven't figured him out. His ground moves have little range except for his FTilt (which is my favorite because of the fact I could stop any projectiles with just an umbrella swing lol). FSmash is powerful but I rarely ever get it to hit. It's like Wario's old FSmash in Brawl but isn't instant. (Although edgeguarding with it is fun!) DSmash kinda sucks. His aerials are really great though with good knockback. Loyd Rocket is weird. It's a slow projectile. I don't like it. Tree is good to get the axe which is powerful and has a lot of good knockback, but the tree has a low duration so the axe goes away and you have to set up another tree which takes time. His recovery is way too good and I can't even begin to describe how ridiculous his pocket is for literally stealing every projectile. (I actually pocketed Pikachu's thunder lol)

Link is BUFFED. Like really BUFFED. Which isn't saying much since he was like one of the worst in Brawl, but he's way faster here. I can't really say much about him besides that since I don't really use him in any Smash game. I feel like his Jab, UTilt and NAir are really good to rack up percentage so you can kill. I still feel like he's kinda slow, but he's not useless anymore at all. His new dash attack is weird and can easily be rolled out of though. It's kinda bad actually. Probably the best Link in Smash.

I don't use Pikachu at all so bear with me here. FAir is his only aerial that auto cancels, and his DSmash doesn't seem to be as good as before, and Thunder is nerfed. Otherwise, he's like Brawl Pikachu I believe. Not much to say here.
    Lovely new animations though, Pikachu.

Mario is by FAR my favorite in the demo. He's a LOT like Melee Mario in his attacks and combo ability, though he still controls like Brawl Mario if that makes sense. His combo ability is FANTASTIC, I can easily rack up up to 50% from a single DThrow on everyone but Mega Man just by spamming Up Tilts and then well timed Up Airs. His KO potential on stage is just as underwhelming as usual though! You'll get them off stage at best, but that's exactly where you want them to be so you can land that FAir and spike them. I ALWAYS get my kills with him this way.
    Oh and his down air is reallly good! I notice you can immediately do a short hopped NAir after a blocked DAir, which in turn lets you grab REALLY quick afterwards. I love this move now. FLUDD seems buffed overall, pushes further now and actually is useful I guess? I should use it more.
    Overall he's way better than Brawl. Stronger, faster and way more reach. His one problem is that he really has trouble KOing, which is typical of him honestly. Doctor Mario always was better at that. The reason I'm using Mario is largely because I'm preparing myself for the Doc when the game hits btw. lol

Years
    I was able to play the demo today, thanks to Klippy.

Observations:

- 3D actually works well, as do most first party games.
    - 3D doesn't cause lag.
    - Speeds are much quicker and the game plays smoothly with the 60 fps. (again, even with 3d activated)
    - Controls were very easy as well.

Ranking the demo characters: Villager > Pikachu > Mario > Mega Man > Link

- Villager is REALLY fun to use with a diverse set of skills. Very intuitive controls, with insane power!

LLoid Rocket, can serve as a recovery move, but you can let go of the rocket at any time and launch and attack. Similar to Pikachu and Luigi's side specials, except there is more control, and you can jump off the rocket and perform a recovery move right after.
    And his bowling ball forward smash is deadly. Not sure how helpful the timber attack is, but it's pretty hilarious to grow a tree under an opponent after planting a seed.

- Mega Man seems to lack melee attacks, many weaker projectiles. Not sure if he is a less useful character or just less intuitive to master.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Eh, from what I've seen, the ways to kill with villager is with her forward smash, up smash, and down b, I suppose.

Of course the problem is, villager's smash moves are waaay too slow, like her down b, you'd have to prepare for many times, and her/his forward smash has almost no range, unless you combine it with her down b 'dig'. Otherwise, I guess you'd have to be strategic with her running smash, or with her b, I guess~

But, I'll give her that if you get creative with her air attacks, you can do reasonably well, since her up b is kiind of cool, albit a tad weak.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Best way to kill with Villager is gimping off stage or up smash. Otherwise his KO potential is just not there.

EDIT: In fact Link is the only one that can actually kill ON stage reliably, but even then his moves are still slow. The blast zones in this game are too big.

Last edited:

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
    Finally got my hands on the demo, thanks to one of my friends on Facebook. Here are my first impressions after running through one match with each character:

Technical:
    -3D is really good, game still plays at 60 fps with it on

-Controls were a little tough to get used to, but not impossible. Reminds me of Smash 64

-Speed definitely feels in between Melee and Brawl

-Is it just me, or are the blast zones a little larger compared to past games? I find it slightly harder to get KOs from the side.

-Final Destination Battlefield is pretty cool. Can't wait to see the FD versions of all the other stages.

Characters:
    -Mario is virtually unchanged, and still fun to use. Though he feels a bit more like Melee's version of Mario with Brawl Mario's mechanics (if that makes any sense), so I guess he's gotten better in that regard. Speaking of Melee, I've always seen Dr. Mario as a better version of Mario, so if regular Mario is this good, then Dr. Mario must be...

-Link is my favorite out of the 5 characters (maybe due to my Zelda series bias), I appreciate the Jump Attack as his new dash attack. Glad his D-Air now spikes. I feel as if he's gotten a significant buff in kill potential, as out of all 5 characters, I landed the most KOs with Link.

-Maybe it's because I don't use Pikachu as much in the other games, but he seems to have gotten better. I found it easier to combo attacks with him than I did before. Thunder isn't as good as it used to be, which I see as both a good thing (so people stop spamming it) and a bad thing (less kill potential). On the other hand, it does spike, so that's a thing.

-Mega Man plays drastically different from the others, and will definitely take some getting used to. He's not terrible, like I've been hearing on some sites for a long time, but the way he works is more like his own style from the Mega Man games. Out of every character (not just the ones in the demo), I can see Mega Man being the hardest to master, even more so than Rosalina. At least his Final Smash is glorious to look at (Backstreet's back, alright!).

-I really like the Villager (aka Killager). He was one of the characters I wanted to use at Smash-fest, but settled on Greninja instead. He's a very versatile character, with many different ways to take out opponents. He doesn't have too many kill moves though (despite his nickname), the most notable being Dig+Forward Smash. I also really like the Lloid Rocket.

Items:
    (The new items I came across while playing)

-The Gust Bellows are pretty fun to use. I prefer to throw it as soon as I get it so that it spazzes out all over the place. xD

-I like how the first ever Poke Ball I threw in the demo contained an Arceus

-The Blue Shell is just as BRUTAL as it is in Mario Kart

-I find the X-Bomb better than the Smart Bomb when it comes to taking out opponents

-The Daybreak took me back to the days of Kid Icarus Uprising. That satisfying one hit kill! xD

-The Fire Bar is pretty powerful. I was able to KO an opponent with a fully charged hit at about 60%.

-Can't talk much about the Drill Arm, I missed the one hit you get with it. xD

-The Ore Club is pretty powerful. I like to do a fully charged hit, then catch the opponent in the twister that spawns. xD

-The Jetpack is really helpful, working almost like ROB's up-B

-Not sure if it's just me, but Boss Galaga doesn't seem to capture opponents as easily as I thought it would xD

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2014
    :( I am a sad sad man.... And Desperate I will trade a Shiny Honedge for a smash bros demo code thats us.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Dear everyone,

Please do not use threads to beg for Smash demo codes. That does not contribute to discussion in any way and it's rather annoying. Please go to Reddit or another website to do such things. Further warnings will not be given.

Thank you.

Years
    The Villager's recovery looks amazing. Watching videos, I also saw that recovery seemed pretty easy, but it might've just been the players I was watching being super good at recovering.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
    Recovery did seem a bit easier, especially when I played with Link. I'm not sure if his Up-B goes a little higher than in past games, but I managed to grab the ledge from way down low, which was near impossible in Brawl.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2014
    Dear everyone,

Please do not use threads to beg for Smash demo codes. That does not contribute to discussion in any way and it's rather annoying. Please go to Reddit or another website to do such things. Further warnings will not be given.

Thank you.

1st I wasn't begging I was offering a Trade. 2ndly you yourself were the one who told people to post in here asking for the code. Also if you were talking to someone else ignore this.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
    Rumor has it the WiiU version will drop on Nov 21. Only 8 weeks after the 3DS. Still I see a lot of people saying they will buy the 3DS version only to bridge the gap untill the WiiU version drops.

Do you think 3DS will have plenty of players after the WiiU version?

I'm thinking of picking up a used copy, it sounds like there will be plenty of them.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Rumor has it the WiiU version will drop on Nov 21. Only 8 weeks after the 3DS. Still I see a lot of people saying they will buy the 3DS version only to bridge the gap untill the WiiU version drops.

I'm thinking of picking up a used copy, it sounds like there will be plenty of them.

I definitely think so. It's not like it's on another home console; rather, it's on a handheld. Considering how popular Super Smash is, I think a lot of people will still be playing the 3DS version because it's portable and can be taken with you wherever you go. That's at least how I view it, as I'll be buying both and the 3DS version will be a great time waster for me with my 50 minute train ride I have to take everyday.

Years

I think they are going to push the accessibility factor, ensuring there is fluidity of your account between the two versions.

More so, there are about ~6 million Wii U owners, perhaps the ~45 million 3ds owners that don't currently own a Wii U or won't own a Wii U as a holiday gift, might exclusively play the game, with or without the intention to buy a Wii U...But I would guess over time more and more the Wii U version will become more popular, especially among the more devoted fanbase.

(Not sure if I will play them both versions, which I have preordered, equally)

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2014
    personally I will have both the wii u version and the 3ds version. The 3ds is gonna have that one game mode that the wii u won't.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I will probably just get the Wii U version, since I don't see myself playing enough to buy both, plus with the Wii U I can play with my brother and he can play with his friends when they come over (my friends don't play Smash lol). If i like it a lot maybe I'll buy the 3DS version. But I definitely think that both will sell well, and the 3DS will definitely still have players after the Wii U comes out.

Back