• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Do you think it is real or fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Where exactly does that rumor come from? Source things like that please, as any old date can be made up by anyone.

Personally I would be rather surprised it would release on the 21st November - because that just so happens to be the ORAS date for everywhere bar Europe (which is only a week later). Two big hitters at the same time doesn't seem very smart to me.

But I still think the 3DS will have a healthy number of players after the Wii U release, whenever that will be.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
    Rumor has it the WiiU version will drop on Nov 21. Only 8 weeks after the 3DS. Still I see a lot of people saying they will buy the 3DS version only to bridge the gap untill the WiiU version drops.

Do you think 3DS will have plenty of players after the WiiU version?

I'm thinking of picking up a used copy, it sounds like there will be plenty of them.

Hmmm... same date as Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire's launch? I doubt that. December 21 seems like a more appropriate date to me. xD

I guess I could say I'm one of those people buying the 3DS version to keep me occupied until the Wii U version launches. But I'll still be playing the 3DS version a heck of a lot as well afterward, especially if that rumor is true about the 4 extra characters you get from connecting both versions. Smash Run seems really interesting, and the game is portable, something many people have wanted for a long time, so I'd never abandon the 3DS version once the Wii U version hits stores. So I'm sure there will be lots of 3DS version players even after the Wii U version is out.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    The Villager's recovery looks amazing. Watching videos, I also saw that recovery seemed pretty easy, but it might've just been the players I was watching being super good at recovering.
    Depending on the character, though yeah, the blast zones in this game are reaalllly large. I was watching an early, for-fun tournament yesterday and some friends playing online (on a stream) and matches lasted really long because of the blast zone.

Honestly, unless you have amazing KO power (Ganondorf, Charizard, DK, Little Mac, Doctor Mario, etc), a lot of the kills will be by chasing off stage, either by gimping or by connecting with a strong attack (like Mario's FAir.)

I feel like characters that have amazing aerials and insane recoveries like Jigglypuff and Wario (whose recovery actually got BUFFED when it was already one of the best) will really excel at killing early. Bowser Jr seems like he's amazing at that as well. This is gonna be a game where you'll see a lot of off stage combat, I imagine.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I kinda doubt the the release date for the WiiU verison is November 21st. Why put it out on the same day as ORAS? That just gives the 2 games competition with each other, which sounds like a bad idea. The official site still has the release date listed as "Holiday 2014". Which to me meant early December.

I think that the 3DS version version will still have plenty of people playing it after the WiiU version comes out. I think that the novelty of it being on a handheld will keep some people there for a while; it's open to a whole new set of people now.

I feel like characters that have amazing aerials and insane recoveries like Jigglypuff and Wario (whose recovery actually got BUFFED when it was already one of the best) will really excel at killing early. Bowser Jr seems like he's amazing at that as well. This is gonna be a game where you'll see a lot of off stage combat, I imagine.
    That kinda sucks for me. I was never that into leaping off the stage. Now, I do jump off the stage plenty, but I generally don't do anything all that crazy when I do (and half the time I miss cuz I'm too concerned with not killing myself). Probably doesn't help that the characters I mainly play as don't have super good recovery. Guess I could try learning.....

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    That kinda sucks for me. I was never that into leaping off the stage. Now, I do jump off the stage plenty, but I generally don't do anything all that crazy when I do (and half the time I miss cuz I'm too concerned with not killing myself). Probably doesn't help that the characters I mainly play as don't have super good recovery. Guess I could try learning.....
    Robin is apparently a MONSTER off stage, if it helps. lol

Elwind spikes and aerial smash attacks does quick work.

Reactions: Nah

Garison

The Grey Waves
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2017
    -Pikachu: I get the feeling they nerfed Thunder a bit, but Skull Bash (B-side) feels a bit better.

They kinda did . In one miiverse post, Sakurai said that Pikachu's thunder is now a meteor smash. So it is not very effective for side KOs like in the previous game. It is pretty much a nerf, and I was not very pleased about that.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
    Polygon, Joystiq, and several others are circulating a picture seen here

I have zero confidence in that date, and as I don't own a WiiU, the specific date is not a big deal.

I feel better now about people sticking around with 3ds. Smash Run is exclusive? that is interesting.

Years
    I hope the Wii U version is released closer to Christmas, just for my own convenience though. October I plan on getting my pre-ordered copy, then November picking up Omega Ruby, and Christmas my mom and I plan on getting the Wii U.

As for Pikachu's thunder attack, it's not as strong as it is and you have to be closer to the opponent than the previous games to make more effective use of the attack.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Personally I would be rather surprised it would release on the 21st November - because that just so happens to be the ORAS date for everywhere bar Europe (which is only a week later). Two big hitters at the same time doesn't seem very smart to me.
    Super Mario 3D World and A Link Between Worlds would like a word with you.

Assuming rumors about connectivity between the 3DS and Wii U regarding characters and what not are true, as well as optional DLC, I can see people still playing the 3DS version after the Wii U version is released, since you're able to play Smash on the go.

Got my demo thanks to the lovely Dragon.

And commence the button mashing! :D I never could keep up with this game enough to actually pull off combos at the right times. Having a load of fun using Pikachu either way but multi-wise I am going to suck hardcore lmao. Might go with the 3DS version depending on how I settle into using the controls.. but it looks like most friends will be getting it for Wii U.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    They kinda did . In one miiverse post, Sakurai said that Pikachu's thunder is now a meteor smash. So it is not very effective for side KOs like in the previous game. It is pretty much a nerf, and I was not very pleased about that.
    IDK, it kinda sucks if you main Pikachu, but on the other hand there'll be less annoying Thunder spam like there used to be. It's not so bad if it can spike now though; I don't really remember Pikachu having one in past games.

Those released on the same day? I didn't know that. But since that's the case, it is possible that Smash WiiU will release the same day as ORAS (for NA anyway). I kinda wonder though when Nintendo will officially reveal the launch date. Maybe after the 3DS one is released?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Pikachu's Thunder is still useful for edge guarding.

And lol getting it to spike is like impossible off stage.

BrandoSheriff

Years
    It's true. While Pikachu's Thunder does spike, it is insanely hard to pull off most times.

And Super Mario 3D World and A Link Between Worlds really did have the same NA release date, November 22. I guess it isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility Smash Wii U could be released alongside OR/AS. I personally hope it's November 21, so I can get the game sooner. xD

Years
    Article about ssb4 3ds wearing at the directional pad.
    https://kotaku.com/super-smash-bros-is-wrecking-some-peoples-3ds-handheld-1634549128

Thoughts?

It seems like most of these are the older models of the 3ds. (Still, only 2.5 years ago at most)

Also, anyone wondering about Youkai Watch for a future DLC characters (Jibanyan, Whisper, Kyuubi) or do you think that they will have to wait for the ssb5? Given that the sequel is already number four in 3ds sales in Japan, surpassing Mario Kart 7, and behind only Pokemon XY, Monster Hunter 4, and Animal Crossing.

Last edited:

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
    https://kotaku.com/super-smash-bros-is-wrecking-some-peoples-3ds-handheld-1634549128

Thoughts?

It seems like most of these are the older models of the 3ds. (Still, only 2.5 years ago at most)

Also, anyone wondering about Youkai Watch for a future DLC characters (Jibanyan, Whisper, Kyuubi) or do you think that they will have to wait for the ssb5? Given that the sequel is already number four in 3ds sales in Japan, surpassing Mario Kart 7, and behind only Pokemon XY, Monster Hunter 4, and Animal Crossing.

omg i read the article this morning and it made me laugh. like i feel like that's almost why they're making a new 3ds. stronger directional pad so we can go crazy.
    just remember, to be careful. it is just a game LOL.

BrandoSheriff

Years
    lol, my circle pad came off last Thursday. And it probably does mainly affect the older models, as mine is a launch day 3DS. xD

Funny thing is, I sort of find the black plastic part underneath slightly easier to use. I'm thinking of maybe gluing the rubber back on, but it probably won't be worth it. Hopefully the New 3DS will be able to withstand my constant pad tapping.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    While it has happened in the past (and I'm sure more than once), and certainly could be true, it still doesn't make much sense to have two big sellers on the same day! November doesn't quite seem like a holiday or summer (in Australia) time to me as the site mentions; close, but not quite.

Oh, and someone found this image:
    Spoiler:
    While it says the 21/11, it also says that it's a placeholder date ('Game Release Date subject to change'). They wouldn't have that disclaimer if they were sure, and it wouldn't be the first time a store has claimed a date before it's actually decided (Pokemon games have had this problem for instance).
    https://kotaku.com/super-smash-bros-i...eld-1634549128
    At the bottom they also show that someone broke theirs on Animal Crossing the most extreme game. I don't think one is much risk of breaking your own directional pad as you don't need to smash it to pull off smash attacks or the like.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I haven't been very rough with my 3DS while playing Smash...though I hate how the pad feels once I've been playing awhile (almost hurts my thumb to be using it).

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
    Years
    To be honest, I'm not a fan of using the pad. I'd rather use a D-Pad for fighting games. Because I feel like I have less control using the circle pad. I keep falling off the edges accidentally dashing forward, and losing terrible haha.

Back