• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Do you think it is real or fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I've never played Melee, but what was it like? I know there were more comboes and the gameplay was fast, but did it feel fluid to play and more fun than any other Smash game?

Is there anybody here who plays a decent Rosalina who can tell me what you have trouble with? I need to learn her weaknesses or else I'll never be able to fight her succesfully.

Aven

~:Official Beater:~
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    I've never played Melee, but what was it like? I know there were more comboes and the gameplay was fast, but did it feel fluid to play and more fun than any other Smash game?

Is there anybody here who plays a decent Rosalina who can tell me what you have trouble with? I need to learn her weaknesses or else I'll never be able to fight her succesfully.

Sadly I can't help you with Rosalina, but yes, Melee being a faster game and all made it very fluid. You definitely felt like you had more control in timing sort of way. But yet not, since some physiques were overlooked. Being a veteran from Melee I'm more sensitive to things like, having to face the edge to grab it, having to press the grab button or shield grabbing to grab an item while I'm in midair, etc.

I love Melee almost more than Smash 4. But I most likely won't play Melee as much as I did before Smash 4 came out simply because I've run my course with it. Because, if you don't have Melee, you NEED it, and it might also seem better than Smash 4 once you get it if you're a competitive player like me who just loves to master every aspect. Then again, if you're just an average gamer who just likes to have fun, Melee will just seem like a bad graphiced, low content game.

Melee is fun on a competitive level, where there's so much to master and so much to perfect, it almost never stops. On the other hand, Smash 4 has so much more endless content, and online features, and things to collect and do that it will always be fun on a normal game basis. But yet compared to Melee? It doesn't have much that needs perfecting in the way that it is SUPPOSED to be a family pick-up game.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Sadly I can't help you with Rosalina, but yes, Melee being a faster game and all made it very fluid. You definitely felt like you had more control in timing sort of way. But yet not, since some physiques were overlooked. Being a veteran from Melee I'm more sensitive to things like, having to face the edge to grab it, having to press the grab button or shield grabbing to grab an item while I'm in midair, etc.

I love Melee almost more than Smash 4. But I most likely won't play Melee as much as I did before Smash 4 came out simply because I've run my course with it. Because, if you don't have Melee, you NEED it, and it might also seem better than Smash 4 once you get it if you're a competitive player like me who just loves to master every aspect. Then again, if you're just an average gamer who just likes to have fun, Melee will just seem like a bad graphiced, low content game.

Melee is fun on a competitive level, where there's so much to master and so much to perfect, it almost never stops. On the other hand, Smash 4 has so much more endless content, and online features, and things to collect and do that it will always be fun on a normal game basis. But yet compared to Melee? It doesn't have much that needs perfecting in the way that it is SUPPOSED to be a family pick-up game.
    I think pretty much after Melee they started trying to reach out to the casual audience, with the pace of Brawl being very slowed down. Smash 4 is supposed to be in between Melee and Brawl in terms of speed, to appeal to casual and competitive players.

I do want to master Sheik, but it doesn't feel like there's that much to master, on a technical level. Perhaps it's because of the undeveloped metagame, or maybe it's something about Smash 4 being easier in some ways like you said and having less to master and perfect.

I'd like to give Melee a try one day, but I don't know how I'll get to. It would be very cool though. From watching videos, it seems like everything strings together very well and connects in a fast, fun game.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • So I was playing Smash Run today while grinding for custom moves, Smash Run powers, and Mii accessories, and I've a total of over 18,000 Global Smash Power points as Ness (one of his custom Side B's was strong enough to fully kill Bonkers and a Bulborb), and it brought me this question: what's your highest Global Smash Power on Smash Run?

Aven

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    So I was playing Smash Run today while grinding for custom moves, Smash Run powers, and Mii accessories, and I've a total of over 18,000 Global Smash Power points as Ness (one of his custom Side B's was strong enough to fully kill Bonkers and a Bulborb), and it brought me this question: what's your highest Global Smash Power on Smash Run?

18,000? are you sure? My average is around 600,000 but in other single player modes I aim for 1,000,000

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    So I was playing Smash Run today while grinding for custom moves, Smash Run powers, and Mii accessories, and I've a total of over 18,000 Global Smash Power points as Ness (one of his custom Side B's was strong enough to fully kill Bonkers and a Bulborb), and it brought me this question: what's your highest Global Smash Power on Smash Run?
    Is that your highest score or your highest GSP? That seems a bit low for your GSP. There's both a high score and a GSP for things.

But my highest GSP on Smash Run is 1,593,402 with Lucina (and a high score of 106,228).

My highest GSP on Classic is 1,870,206, also with Lucina (cleared on 8.0 intensity+Master Core with a high score of 578,310).

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I wonder has anyone else changed the controls so special is on A and normal attack on B? I find it much easier because I like using specials and my thumb is always standard on top of the A button. Anyone else play like that?
    I don't have specials and regular attacks switched, but I did change grabs from the L button to the Y button.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • 18,000? are you sure? My average is around 600,000 but in other single player modes I aim for 1,000,000

Is that your highest score or your highest GSP? That seems a bit low for your GSP. There's both a high score and a GSP for things.
    I've recounted, my highest GSP score in Smash Run is 1,806,113 as Ness, not 18,000 (I just skim through my scores).

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Btw, does anyone know if it's possible to control which tome Robin uses in her jab? Or is it just random on whether you use the Fire one or the Wind one?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Btw, does anyone know if it's possible to control which tome Robin uses in her jab? Or is it just random on whether you use the Fire one or the Wind one?
    Delay your third hit to get the fire. If you do it fast you'll get the wind.

I see no reason why you'd want to use the wind jab other than some quick damage racking, but it's not worth using up the up b usage.

Reactions: Nah

Aven

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    I wonder has anyone else changed the controls so special is on A and normal attack on B? I find it much easier because I like using specials and my thumb is always standard on top of the A button. Anyone else play like that?

No offense to you or your playstyle, but most beginners and some other sorts of people mistake specials for being extra powerful compared to your normal attacks just because that's how normal fighting games go. So I thought this was a good time to state that specials simply mean special, used in special occasions for special times. Some characters require more frequent use of specials than others, but overall it would be very beneficial for you to train using your normal attacks more often, and more strategically (as far as smash attacks, down tilts and up tilts go)

Hope some of that helped :)

And yeah, same as Zekrom the only buttons I've switched are the grabs xD So used to the Z button on the GC controller.

Yeah, for the burst effect you press A three times with the animation, so on the last press the effect happens with your press. And if you want to do the wind one, just rapidly tap A (about five times as far as I've tested it) before the burst animation happens. I have the bad habit of continually pressing A even after the wind effect happens so that it slices the opponent out of range, but if you time it right the ending wind effect has a HUGE launch effect that I've KOed enemies with tons of times. But I personally use the wind effect more than the burst effect just because when the enemy is at a higher percentage, (around 60%) my first two jabs hit the enemy too far and then the burst effect misses quite often.

My question though is if anyone knows how to choose which sword you use when using airs. I find that when I don't mash the buttons (for forward airs, up airs etc.) so hard it uses the bronze sword instead, but sometimes Robin still uses the Levin sword.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Yeah, for the burst effect you press A three times with the animation, so on the last press the effect happens with your press. And if you want to do the wind one, just rapidly tap A (about five times as far as I've tested it) before the burst animation happens. I have the bad habit of continually pressing A even after the wind effect happens so that it slices the opponent out of range, but if you time it right the ending wind effect has a HUGE launch effect that I've KOed enemies with tons of times. But I personally use the wind effect more than the burst effect just because when the enemy is at a higher percentage, (around 60%) my first two jabs hit the enemy too far and then the burst effect misses quite often.
    Yeah, I've noticed that sometimes the first 2 strikes will knock them out of the blast range, though sometimes you can delay the 3rd press just long enough for them to come back into the blast range. The wind one does have a nice launch, and I have gotten some KOs with it, but it seems easy to get out of and then leaves you vulnerable since it lasts a relatively long time even when you don't press A too much.

My question though is if anyone knows how to choose which sword you use when using airs. I find that when I don't mash the buttons (for forward airs, up airs etc.) so hard it uses the bronze sword instead, but sometimes Robin still uses the Levin sword.
    The way it works is that if you use a smash attack, Robin will always use the Levin Sword for her airs (except Nair) whenever you next do them, regardless of if you input a tilt or a smash. You can switch back to using the bronze sword for air tilts if you use a jab, ground tilt, or use Nair. Or if the Levin Sword breaks.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • The default music list for Smash Bros. Wii U has been confirmed:

Spoiler:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Oooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkk. I just battled something a little weird online.....

I was fighting this one guy who was playing as Wario, and for some reason when I'd launch him he'd come floating back to the stage. You can move horizontally in the air, yeah, but this looked kinda unnatural and too much movement. Wtf was up with that?

Still beat him though.

Back