• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Do you think it is real or fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't know too much about why Diddy even needs a nerf as I don't play him. What makes him so supposedly OP?
    It's basically his throw combos. Dthrow into Uair in particular, since that one kills pretty easy. He's not Brawl Meta Knight broken, but it's still annoying as **** when all Diddy Kongs do is spam the banana and the Dthrow+Uair combo.

So I wish that they'd nerf that bit of him.

Aven

~:Official Beater:~
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    I unlocked the roster within a day just because I played the game so much :p I'm kind of glad since before it was sort of a pain to go through nonsense stuff that you didn't enjoy doing just to play as someone. Some people may say that it takes out the fun if you don't have to strive to get them, but my opinion is that if a game forces you to spend time on content that you don't enjoy it's just plain stupid.

Also, Diddy Kong does not need a nerf. He has an annoying fighting style that makes people paranoid and it makes them feel helpless within five seconds of the match which is huge if the opponent doesn't know how to keep his cool. That is his one thing he can use if the opponent doesn't know how to defend against it, and if they take that away from him he doesn't have much mind game power after that.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Except there isn't really any mind games for *grab* *dthrow* *uair*

He'd still be solid as hell, that's just the one thing that makes him kinda ridiculous.

Aven

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    Except there isn't really any mind games for *grab* *dthrow* *uair*

He'd still be solid as hell, that's just the one thing that makes him kinda ridiculous.

The mind game part is getting the opponent annoyed to the point where they're playing irrationally and just being aggresive trying to get one hit on you for revenge. It's about making them paranoid like you own this game and you're not even trying and they're still winning. How can you play or main Diddy Kong and not be annoying? Then he's not Diddy Kong.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    The mind game part is getting the opponent annoyed to the point where they're playing irrationally and just being aggresive trying to get one hit on you for revenge. It's about making them paranoid like you own this game and you're not even trying and they're still winning. How can you play or main Diddy Kong and not be annoying? Then he's not Diddy Kong.
    There's no need to get your opponent to be overly aggressive and irrational though when you're just spamming that combo though. Grab spammers are usually good at not letting people avoid their grabs. And once you've been grabbed, that's it, he can do the rest; you can't do anything about what comes after, you can't DI away from it or air dodge or counterattack in time.

Unless you have some secret technique you'd like to share with us?

Aven

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    There's no need to get your opponent to be overly aggressive and irrational though when you're just spamming that combo though. Grab spammers are usually good at not letting people avoid their grabs. And once you've been grabbed, that's it, he can do the rest; you can't do anything about what comes after, you can't DI away from it or air dodge or counterattack in time.

Unless you have some secret technique you'd like to share with us?

That's not really true. I've never been stuck in a chain throw before for more than two grabs. Because DI does work and the opponent never knows where you're going to fly, and of course air dodging won't work? With chain throws, and most other stuff it's about reading your opponent, counterattacking when needed, and it's plainly about spamming that attack button before they get to you. He's annoying and I think that's good, he's unique :p

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    He is actually at least a little bit over-powered, it isn't mindgames. Banana setups for his amazing throw combos, an incredible ranged grab that can become an attack if he chooses, incredible multi-hit quick moves like his smash attacks, the u-air that he uses for juggling kills you, etc.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    That's not really true. I've never been stuck in a chain throw before for more than two grabs. Because DI does work and the opponent never knows where you're going to fly, and of course air dodging won't work? With chain throws, and most other stuff it's about reading your opponent, counterattacking when needed, and it's plainly about spamming that attack button before they get to you. He's annoying and I think that's good, he's unique :p
    The problem here isn't that you can't DI out of the throw (you can), it's that even if Diddy misses a throw - that's fine, since he has so many set ups ad traps for another grab. There's absolutely no risk in missing the chain in Diddy's part, but he gets such a high reward for doing it. I'm not sure why you want to keep something that ridiculous just to make him "unique". He's not. He's Pikachu that can reliably KO. No other character gets both an amazing grab and an amazing set of throws like Diddy does.

He was unique in Brawl when he was a character literally all about item manipulation and stage control, not "grab setups the character".

Aven

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    He is actually at least a little bit over-powered, it isn't mindgames. Banana setups for his amazing throw combos, an incredible ranged grab that can become an attack if he chooses, incredible multi-hit quick moves like his smash attacks, the u-air that he uses for juggling kills you, etc.

He's very similar to ZSS in my eyes, any views on that?

The problem here isn't that you can't DI out of the throw (you can), it's that even if Diddy misses a throw - that's fine, since he has so many set ups ad traps for another grab. There's absolutely no risk in missing the chain in Diddy's part, but he gets such a high reward for doing it. I'm not sure why you want to keep something that ridiculous just to make him "unique". He's not. He's Pikachu that can reliably KO. No other character gets both an amazing grab and an amazing set of throws like Diddy does.

He was unique in Brawl when he was a character literally all about item manipulation and stage control, not "grab setups the character".

I've never had trouble with a Diddy Kong before but hope I see something similar to what you're seeing soon. It's not like you can't do damage and KO Diddy Kong without getting that close to him. Maybe for certain characters that have a low attack range he is too much of an advantage, but so far I haven't seen anything with my own eyes.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    He's very similar to ZSS in my eyes, any views on that?
    That's something I thought too. They both have a long range grab and a good Dthrow-->air combo and a move that briefly incapacitates the opponent, their Fsmashes even hit more than once, etc.

But one's a monkey and one's a chick in a tight-ass suit.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Except ZSS's grab is awful because it's VERY punishable and some characters can duck under it.
    I've never had trouble with a Diddy Kong before but hope I see something similar to what you're seeing soon. It's not like you can't do damage and KO Diddy Kong without getting that close to him. Maybe for certain characters that have a low attack range he is too much of an advantage, but so far I haven't seen anything with my own eyes.
    Watch M2K's diddy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suLObPPSSAk

Aven

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    I've never been completely overwhelmed though by neither Diddy Kong or ZSS. That's just me though.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I've never been completely overwhelmed though by neither Diddy Kong or ZSS. That's just me though.
    ZSS isn't OP. Diddy Kong is. They're very different. Just saying. ZSS is actually probably more similar to Sheik (but even they still play very differently).

ZSS is actually fairly balanced.

Diddy has too much going for him. All his moves are really safe and he can set up for grab combos, KOs, and anything he wants using his banana as well as having stage contro with it. He's also got his side-special, a fast, quite ranged grab (that he can turn into a kick if he wants). You might say his recovery has high startup, but it's also got huge distance anyway. All his moves have decent range and some hit multiple times (dash attack, up smash, f smash), with KO power on his smashes AND his up-air (which he can also juggle with, mind you), a meteor smash, and great aerial options. What is his glaring weakness for all of this? (There isn't one, and if there is it's not big enough)

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    The glaring weakness is his recovery. People will start finding ways to gimp Diddy and that'll hold him back significantly.

****** recovery didn't stop Olimar in Brawl, though.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    The glaring weakness is his recovery. People will start finding ways to gimp Diddy and that'll hold him back significantly.

****** recovery didn't stop Olimar in Brawl, though.
    It's not a big enough weakness, he's still got way too much going for him. You don't really need a good recovery if you can always kill the opponent first.

Aven

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    Switching to a more nondebatele topic xD With the new girls only tournament, what's everyones favorite girl character? And then guy character?

Mine would be girl Robin and Marth xP

GlakeGG

The Phantom Prince
    Years
    Jumping on the topic of Diddy real quick. I do find him annoying as hell, but I don't think he needs a nerf. Yes, he has a ton of high priority, a throw into a combo, etc, but hes definitely beatable and I'm sure there is some play-style out there that could be really decent at countering him.

Even though we aren't getting anymore balance patches, it would be nice if they buffed some of the weaker characters instead of nerfing the stronger ones.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I really think the only thing about Diddy that needs to get nerfed is his throws/throw combos. Everything else can stay as is.

But for the other topic, most ya already know who my favorite female characters are (Robin and Lucina). As for males, it'd probably be......Mario and Ike.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
    When it comes to my favorite female characters in the Smash Bros series, these are my favorites:
    Samus/Zero Suit Samus
    Female Wii Fit Trainer

As for male characters, here are my favorites:
    Bowser
    Captain Falcon
    Donkey Kong
    Falco
    Fox
    Ganondorf
    Greninja (I consider the one in the Smash Bros series to be male)
    King Dedede
    Link
    Lucario (Happens to be considered male in the Smash Bros series)
    Mario
    Marth
    Meta Knight
    Mr Game & Watch
    Pac-Man
    Pikachu
    Pokemon Trainer
    R.O.B.
    Robin
    Snake
    Wario
    Wolf