• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Do you think it is real or fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sir Codin

At that level, they're very skilled and provide an excellent challenge, but they're also not omniscient and can't seemingly see the future.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Am I the only one who miss Pokemon trainer?? I loved Ivysaur :O
    The players I play with are: Shulk, Lucina, Sheik, Lucario, Geninja, Zero Suit Samus, and Charizard.

And for the CPU lv.9, I agree with was you said. They dodge too well. But I am not that good. I am not that bad either, but I am not the best XD

Do you custom your characters? Some of my friends don't like it because "the rules" of competitions said you cannot modify your stats.

And what do you think of the Omega mode for the stages? I love that!! It is like a final destination but with other songs and backgrounds :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Am I the only one who miss Pokemon trainer?? I loved Ivysaur :O
    The players I play with are: Shulk, Lucina, Sheik, Lucario, Geninja, Zero Suit Samus, and Charizard.

And for the CPU lv.9, I agree with was you said. They dodge too well. But I am not that good. I am not that bad either, but I am not the best XD

Do you custom your characters? Some of my friends don't like it because "the rules" of competitions said you cannot modify your stats.

And what do you think of the Omega mode for the stages? I love that!! It is like a final destination but with other songs and backgrounds :)
    I miss Pokémon Trainer, but I miss Lucas more :(

Level 9's are bad to train against, in my opinion. CPUs in general are bad to train against, as they never do anything different. In general, CPUs aren't a very good training option, but it's nice that they're there.

I don't customize characters with equipment for serious matches. How would that really be fair or serious? The only "serious" matches I do are 1v1s with my friends and stuff but still...
    Custom specials are fine for most things really, but equipment is only good for non-serious matches IMO, because of the huge chance for OP characters.

I like Omega I guess, but there's a lot of difference between some of them and I personally prefer Battlefield anyway. I think For Glory needs Battlefield and Final Destination/Omegas.

Yukari

Level 9's are bad to train against, in my opinion. CPUs in general are bad to train against, as they never do anything different. In general, CPUs aren't a very good training option, but it's nice that they're there.

I honestly agree with this. I mean sure, the CPUs are a great way of getting used to using a new character, but they could never prepare you for battle against another player.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    When playing any Smash Bros game I normally verse level 9s when practicing my defensive play, and then I go against a level 3 to work on offensive gameplay and combos. I've done this for pretty much every game, and I find it works pretty well. Of course, the best practice is against friends. Anyone here ever played Project M? I've been palying that and Melee a lot lately, until I get a new SD Card and the WiiU version of the game.

Kydeka

Bringer of Ground
    Years
  • Am I the only one who miss Pokemon trainer?? I loved Ivysaur :O
    Me too! I used to main Ivysaur, I was so gutted he didn't make it into Smash 4.
    I find I play Yoshi, Samus, ZS Samus, Pikachu, Greninja and Charizard the most. Still trying to narrow it down for my main.

I also agree that lv 9's have ridiculous air dodging skills.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I didn't mind that Ivysaur and Squirtle got cut from Smash. I only ever played as Charizard when playing Pokemon Trainer anyway.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here use Smash-ladder?
    What's Smash-ladder?

Yukari

This sums up my thoughts on Smash Ladder pretty well.

But on the topic of Ivysaur and Squirtle being cut from smash, I really don't mind too much. I only ever use Shulk anyway.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    This sums up my thoughts on Smash Ladder pretty well.

But on the topic of Ivysaur and Squirtle being cut from smash, I really don't mind too much. I only ever use Shulk anyway.
    I'm really feeling...the sadness of no more Ivysaur....

On another subject, there's a tier list on Smashboards that's been going on for several weeks now where the community votes about every three days on whether a character should go up or down. Naturally there's bias, and in general I disagree with some character's placements. However, some can be relatively accurate.
    Since I can't just copy-paste it, here is the list as of the last voting period.

Yukari

On another subject, there's a tier list on Smashboards that's been going on for several weeks now where the community votes about every three days on whether a character should go up or down. Naturally there's bias, and in general I disagree with some character's placements. However, some can be relatively accurate.
    Since I can't just copy-paste it, here is the list as of the last voting period.
    I really never trust those tier lists, particularly when they're based on community votes.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I really never trust those tier lists, particularly when they're based on community votes.
    Yeah, but most of the time they have at least some accuracy behind the placing of most characters. For example, we know that Meta Knight ws broken in Brawl, and it's obvious that someone like Luigi in Smash 4 is likely near the top of mid (lol bias).

Tier lists have always been helpful to have.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Official tier lists are good because they are actually based on tournament results. They give a good idea on how characters are standing in the current metagame based on actual facts.

Also Luigi is legit top 10 in Smash 4 imo.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I don't trust tiers period.
    Like Spino said, they give an idea of roughly how a character's potential is compared to other characters.

And if we're talking about Smash 4 specifically, tier list placing will mean even less because of how balanced the roster is. Characters will only be in tiers because one seems slightly better than the other, e.g Luigi is better than Mario, does that make him extremely better? No, it just means he's either slightly or somewhat better because of how close the roster is. The same could be said about Diddy over the majority of the class. He is the one that stands out as being top over the rest of the class, but that doesn't mean someone people think is near the bottom like Zelda is unplayable. (Also, Diddy just needs some nerfs to get him on par with the rest)

Basically, tiers are guidelines. They give us an idea of who is better than others, even slightly.

P.S I personally find the aforementioned Zelda to be better than a lot of people think, and thus underrated due to underrepresentation.

Last edited:

GlakeGG

The Phantom Prince
    Years
  • What's Smash-ladder?

https://www.smashladder.com/

Basically a ranking type matchmaking website where you can play other players, counter-pick stages, gain rank, etc for Melee netplay, Project M, and Smash4. I was advised to search for players on their rather than via For Glory if I wanted a better competitive online experience. Played a few matches on it so far and I love how smoothly everything runs, also has a snazzy chatroom :P

Aven

~:Official Beater:~
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    I don't know if this is relevant to anything you guys are discussing but I'm up for any wii u online matches if anyone wants to fight.

It's about Smash isn't it :3 Don't worry, it's not irrelevant. And I'd love to but right now I'm drowning in homework, maybe later tonight if you're still up to it.

Back