• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Do you think it is real or fake?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
  • Wow; I'm surprised that I haven't even gotten the chance to post in the Super Smash Bros. 4 thread (hailing from my favorite videogame series) after all of this time! >_> But anyways..

Maaaan the 3DS controls are so uncomfortable. :( I don't know what 3DS LLs are like--hopefully they have a better design on the circle pad than the original 3DS--but playing the game was a bit of a hassle. A slower character like Link was alright, but trying to control Pikachu with the circle pad was SUCH a pain. I sort of got used to the circle pad--or at least started training myself to deal with it--by the time I put it down for the night, but I never really got the hang of hitting L for throwing items. It's really awkward to throw in a particular direction when you're controlling the direction with the same hand. [S-HIGHLIGHT]Settings aren't unlocked in the demo, though, so fingers crossed that you can map buttons in this game, maybe[/S-HIGHLIGHT].

The game looks a lot better than I expected, though. It was a little bit difficult to tell my character apart from others when we were playing the same character, at times, even with palette swaps, but that might just be me sucking at the game. I noticed it was a little hard to follow the action when everything zoomed out but, again, I might just suck. I feel like I could also attribute both of these to playing on the original 3DS with its smaller screen. I don't think this game was made for my 3DS. But the graphics are good, especially for 3DS. I admittedly didn't think I'd like the hard black outline on the characters but it looks fine and it's definitely needed to help separate the characters from the background.

I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed. When this was announced for 3DS my very first thought was "ugh, I bet it won't control very well" but I figured... hey... they wouldn't go to the trouble of developing it for 3DS if they weren't confident in the controls, right? The issues I'm having are exactly what I expected. The button layout is awkward and unintuitive to me. (I've never played Smash with so few buttons before--I guess if anyone played Brawl with the Wii remote this might feel cushy.) Hopefully it's better on the 3DS LL but I have no idea what those even feel like so all I can judge is my old 3DS model. I'm gonna play a little more here and there for a few more days to see if I can get better and get over the awkward controls but I have a feeling I won't, so I'm probably skipping the 3DS release and just getting the Wii U version when it comes out.

Aside from the physical controls, I did like the gameplay, the speed, and so on... so I'm excited to play the Wii U version! Whenever it actually releases, anyway.

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with the controls, Lightning Cherrim (of course; name change makes sense.. ) but apparently Masahiro Sakurai (game director for Super Smash Bros. 4) has confirmed customizable controls for SSB4 (3DS), so hopefully that helps? :nervous:^^

Regarding other SSB4 comments...I mostly post my thoughts on Smashboards, so as for Pokemon-related thoughts on PokeCommunity..still hoping for Mewtwo!

Here's a compilation of the images that were recently revealed in Famitsu (for September/October 2014, I'm guessing):

I'll just limit myself to Pokemon-related comments for now. I'm loving Pikachu's alternate costumes, ecstatic that the classic party hat (6th) finally came back (although I was kind of hoping that it would be a non-red/blue/green color for aesthetic purposes..)! I was already glad about the return of the perfect Super Smash Bros. Brawl alternate costumes for Pikachu (2nd-4th), so anything else is pretty much a plus. The 5th Pikachu costume seems like Gold/Jimmy/Ethan's hat from Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver..cool, I guess, particularly since Ultra Ball design is cool by default. :P The 7th one looks like some kind of (head)Band (Focus Band? Choice Band? Muscle Band? I will probably check item sprites later..) The 8th one looks like Xavier/Calem's hat from Pokemon X and Y, which is okay...hopefully, Yvonne/Serena gets a matching reference (presumably if Jigglypuff returns as a playable character).

Okay, who keeps messing up Lucario and Charizard's alternate costumes???! >:( Although I'm holding out hope that there might be unrevealed costumes (since Little Mac is confirmed to have 16 alternate costume variants including his default outfit (with some of those variants reserved for Wire-Frame Little Mac), and not all of them are shown), we still don't get shiny Charizard? And considering what they were willing to do with Lucario's costumes (AKA, not much), I don't really buy the excuse that Shiny Charizard's potential omission is due to possible confusion with the Final Smash known as "Mega Charizard (X)". Somebody said that "Shiny Charizard from Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal" (which differs from post-Generation 2 Shiny Charizard slightly in terms of color palette) is apparently present, but I don't really see it. Lucario's alternate costumes are just a rage-inducing sight. The white and gray ones can easily be confused with each other, as well as the 2 purple-ish ones and the myriad of blue ones. I'm glad the green one is at least more prominent, though.. But the selection...ugh.. It's bad enough that we can't even get a proper custom "red" costume to stand out and that we still can't get the yellow-hued "inverted" shiny variant which is at least more distinguishable from the sea of blues here. Why is it such a struggle to actually include the colorations for Charizard and Lucario where the sole purpose is to be a rare palette swap in the Pokemon games..? The fact that they opted for a "increased saturation in default colors" and "washed-out default colors" Lucario costumes (6th and 5th, respectively) and not Lucario's actual shiny costume (for the second time) is just so irritating, especially when the development team has been knocking it out of the ballpark with other characters' awesome alternate costumes/color changes. Even Project M's upcoming choices for Lucario seem much more appealing, as well as the current ones below:
    Lucario_Palette_%28PM%29.png

{XD};-; ROFL at Greninja's "Mewtwo" costume. The purported "Mewtwo silhouette fake-out" in reveal trailer was bad enough, but now an alternate costume sharing Mewtwo colors..? Mewtwo's fate is just so puzzling now... T_T As for Greninja's costume overall, I feel like the red one should used a different tongue color to distinguish itself more from the pink "Lickitung colors" costume. A green costume would've been nice, too. I don't see the point of the last "all dark purple" Greninja costume when we already have the default blue and a better-looking purple costume (5th; maybe 7th as well). As for "shiny colors", the 4th one is apparently the "black-bodied, orange-tongued" one sighted in the E3 2014 demo, although the lighting is making it somewhat hard to tell.. I would rather have faithfulness to Greninja's original shiny colors (it shouldn't be that hard), but I'll take what I can get - the color scheme is cool regardless, and the dark hues do a better job of referencing the shiny variant of Greninja, compared to the failure of shiny references regarding the costumes of Charizard and Lucario. >_>

Finally, I can't wait to hear the full rendition/remix/arrangement of "Battle! VS Trainer (Kalos)" in Super Smash Bros. 4 from Greninja's announcement trailer... The Prism Tower stage needs to have a Gym Leader/Lumiose City song at the very least, though (whether it be the "Pokemon Gym/Evolution" medley from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Lumiose City's overworld theme, or my personal hope, "Battle! VS Gym Leader (Kalos)")...

As for the "Unova Pokemon League" stage featuring N's Castle, I'm hoping for the "Victory Road (Hoenn)" arrangement from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the Unova Victory Road theme from Pokemon Black and White Versions, "Battle! VS Elite Four (Unova)" from Pokemon Black and White Versions, and/or my likely guess, the usage of N's battle theme and Ghetsis's battle theme (or a medley of the 2). I'm bummed that Milotic (as awesome as it is) is appearing on the stage instead of Kyurem (who would be more fitting in my opinion, complementing Reshiram and Zekrom). Sigh...it's "unfitting Cresselia on Spear Pillar" all over again; why did Kyurem have to get relegated to the role of "Poke Ball Pokemon"?

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • Okay, who keeps messing up Lucario and Charizard's alternate costumes???! >:( Although I'm holding out hope that there might be unrevealed costumes (since Little Mac is confirmed to have 16 alternate costume variants including his default outfit (with some of those variants reserved for Wire-Frame Little Mac), and not all of them are shown), we still don't get shiny Charizard? And considering what they were willing to do with Lucario's costumes (AKA, not much), I don't really buy the excuse that Shiny Charizard's potential omission is due to possible confusion with the Final Smash known as "Mega Charizard (X)". Somebody said that "Shiny Charizard from Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal" (which differs from post-Generation 2 Shiny Charizard slightly in terms of color palette) is apparently present, but I don't really see it. Lucario's alternate costumes are just a rage-inducing sight. The white and gray ones can easily be confused with each other, as well as the 2 purple-ish ones and the myriad of blue ones. I'm glad the green one is at least more prominent, though.. But the selection...ugh.. It's bad enough that we can't even get a proper custom "red" costume to stand out and that we still can't get the yellow-hued "inverted" shiny variant which is at least more distinguishable from the sea of blues here. Why is it such a struggle to actually include the colorations for Charizard and Lucario where the sole purpose is to be a rare palette swap in the Pokemon games..? The fact that they opted for a "increased saturation in default colors" and "washed-out default colors" Lucario costumes (6th and 5th, respectively) and not Lucario's actual shiny costume (for the second time) is just so irritating, especially when the development team has been knocking it out of the ballpark with other characters' awesome alternate costumes/color changes. Even Project M's upcoming choices for Lucario seem much more appealing, as well as the current ones below:
    Lucario_Palette_%28PM%29.png

I'm looking at the costumes for Charizard and Lucario, and I feel the same way. I don't like that there's still no shiny variant of them, when there's one for Greninja and Pikachu. Though, Gen 2 shiny Charizard is there, he's the 8th costume: slightly purple with green wings. I'm not entirely sure, but post-Gen 2 shiny Charizard may be the 7th one.

And Lucario's costumes. Let's see, we have original blue, darker blue, light blue, grayish-blue, blue again, original blue again, green, and purple (a mixture of red and...blue). There's only really one true alternate color, and I feel opportunity was lost when it came to Lucario's costumes.

But it could be possible that maybe Lucario has one more costume? I made a joke above about his original blue costume appearing twice. This also happens to Luigi, and I'm sure that they wouldn't use the exact same color twice.

And if that rumored list is true, we are getting Mewtwo, along with Ridley and Dixie (despite the costume for Diddy).

On another note:
    It seems some stores have broken street date, and a few people already have the Japanese game. So, that's a thing. I may stay off most gaming sites, as I don't really want to be spoiled on who else is in the game apart from who we already know about. If Mewtwo isn't playable, I'd like to find that out on my own when I have it, rather than from someone else who got the game a little early.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • And if that rumored list is true, we are getting Mewtwo, along with Ridley and Dixie (despite the costume for Diddy).
    The problem is, there's a lot of rumoured lists. =p

And yes, street date was broken for Japan. There's a bunch of twitch streams about if you are interested. I don't really want to watch; while I don't mind finding out who is in, I'd like to find out how characters handle by myself.

Spoilers for the not-previously-confirmed-officially characters seen so far (that I've seen mention of/can recall mention of):
    Spoiler:

BrandoSheriff

Years
  • The problem is, there's a lot of rumoured lists. =p

I'm talking about this list in particular: http://smashboards.com/threads/potential-roster-stage-leak-thread.364914/page-123#post-17385987

I'm inclined to believe it over most due to all the details after the characters being confirmed in some way, and the fact that the list (not the post) itself was posted around mid July.

And I'm not watching the streams either. I'd rather not be spoiled if they show characters that weren't leaked. xD

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Spoiler:

BrandoSheriff

Years
  • Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • Spoiler only if you're a Mother fan, and even then, only pertains to a stage:
    Spoiler:

Also, Pokémon...
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I would be pretty surprised if the Wii U version had more characters, in any way. Just because one leak is accurate doesn't mean others trying to be attached to it are as well. For every correct rumour there's a hundred fake ones.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Years
  • In my opinion
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Everything about Wario is SO good except for getting rid of the shoulder bash and what looks like is a slightly nerfed air speed?

Seriously his ground options are so good now. I really hope they don't nerf his aerials, though.

BUT HIS ANIMATIONS *O*

BrandoSheriff

Years
  • Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Last edited:
    Years
  • I got platinum membership this year, so I have 2 codes left for the demo out of the 4 I started with.

This is gonna be great! Cannot wait to play it. Thanks Arceus this year was a good year for gaming for me

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    In Europe here. A kind person gave me a code, but I actually got an email right after I downloaded it lol. Already gave codes to people.

This game plays incredible. The controls are fine and the game really pops. Mario is GODLIKE.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2016
    Sucks being new to Nintendo, only got my 3DS 2 weeks ago and already have 150 hours on Pokemon :lol:
    If anyone has a spare (UK) code it would be epic if I could have one please if not its on the eShop on the 19th

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Dragon was kind enough to gift me one of his codes for the 3DS demo...

It's fantastic. I am loving everything about it on the 3DS. Scary how much of a 180' I have just made on my opinion on it. I think it's great and works extremely well for the 3DS - but I still think the Wii U version will be superior. Considering how I feel about the 3DS one, the Wii U one should be STELLAR.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Spoiler:
    Panic isn't the word I'd use. Nor do I think that Sakurai is "screwing with his fans". It's to be expected that not every franchise is gonna get a large number of reps. And while DK is undoubtedly a long time successful franchise, as far as I know it's never been as successful or popular as, say, Mario or Pokemon or Zelda, which is why those franchises have the largest number of reps in the game.

And really what are the ultra-hardcore fans gonna do? Whine and scream and complain? Not play what will otherwise be a good game despite it missing a few wanted characters? With the size that the roster has been since Melee, there's gotta be at least ONE character that everyone will enjoy playing as. Ya can't get everything you want.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Panic isn't the word I'd use. Nor do I think that Sakurai is "screwing with his fans". It's to be expected that not every franchise is gonna get a large number of reps. And while DK is undoubtedly a long time successful franchise, as far as I know it's never been as successful or popular as, say, Mario or Pokemon or Zelda, which is why those franchises have the largest number of reps in the game.

And really what are the ultra-hardcore fans gonna do? Whine and scream and complain? Not play what will otherwise be a good game despite it missing a few wanted characters? With the size that the roster has been since Melee, there's gotta be at least ONE character that everyone will enjoy playing as. Ya can't get everything you want.
    You're underestimating the fanbase, as well as the talent being done on Project M when it comes to adding characters into the roster. There was a group called Project Rainfall, whose goal was to demand Nintendo to bring Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, and the Last Story overseas, which they eventually got, so why couldn't it be the same for Smash Bros.? Let's not forget the fan outcry of Metroid Other M and the ending of Mass Effect 3. Donkey Kong is one of Nintendo's top five best-selling franchises, and its series representation is still incomplete, for it's missing the female sidekick (Dixie) and the series antagonist (K. Rool). Both of whom are well-requested characters but were confirmed as mere trophies, meaning they will not be DLC characters. There is a saying "the customer is always right," and they have the right to criticize a product that doesn't meet its requirements.

Last edited:
    Back