• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Surgery

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I got my tonsils removed when I was ten. XD; It actually wasn't a horrible time - I stayed home for almost two weeks eating nothing but ice cream and popsicles. I don't remember my throat being overly painful after the first two or so days, but I couldn't talk at all for two weeks.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • I went in for a dual surgery about four years ago. I was scheduled for tonsil removal (they were getting dangerously big - size of golfballs almost) and I was going to find out whether the tumor I had near my wrist was cancerous.

Scary? Well... I was cool up until the IV, then I erupted because I'm not a big fan of needles. At all. I remember the medicine (morphine) starting to sink in, me getting numb and losing my senses. I was carted into the operating room with lights seemingly the size of the sun. And when I woke up, I had a blonde haired nurse offering me some apple juice as my eyes started to creep open. Odd sensation, being completely soaked up with morphine 'n' all.

Fortunately, my tumor was found out to be benign, which means no cancer. (It later grew back, I might add, just goes to show that one cell is all it needs.) Three of the weirdest, faded, colored bumps you'll ever see. And with the surgery scar through them. The recovery wasn't a joy ride by any means, almost two weeks of blah at home. But hey, the ice cream helped. ;D

I plan to get the Nuss procedure (search it if you're interested) for my sunken chest when my family (and my time) can afford it. Which will be much more important and ... bigger than my previous under-the-knife visits. I'll have to go through rehab to learn how to use my new bar-inserted chest. (like waking up without disturbing its position, etc) and I'll be in the hospital for a while. Might see Mork while I'm there. XD!

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    That Nuss procedure sounds nasty, i just googled it. >.<

Ive never had major surgery *touch wood* (The only surgery ive ever had was to remove a few teeth) and i dont really want to undergo any. I mean if i had to i would but things like not waking up again after the general anesthetic scare me, which is kinda pathetic tbh lol. =/

Last edited:

Nemaru

nah
    Years
  • The worst thing I've ever had was having my tonsels (sp?) removed when I was two years old. Other than that nothing, although who knows what will happen in the future.

Years
  • I had foot surgery in November. There was a shard of glass stuck in my foot, but I couldn't remove it at home because it was too sore and the entry wound had already closed. I also had plantar warts removed (some cut off, some lasered) at the same time. The worst part about it was getting the IV put in. My vein collapsed the first time, so they had to do it again in my other hand. Needless to say, I wasn't feeling happy. The surgery was very minor, but I still needed stitches, and it hurt to walk for a couple of weeks.

chanchimi

With a Side of Cheddar
    Years
  • I had surgery just a few months ago. I had back surgery to correct my scoliosis. I was very scared to get the surgery because I wasn't prepared for it. It hurt a lot after the surgery was done, I spent nine days in the hospital. So that wasn't very fun at all!

But now I stand up straight with my straight spine! Plus, they used metal rods and screws to straighten my spine, so now it's almost like I'm part robot with metal in me!

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • I've had surgery twice.

The first time was when Gold and Silver had just come out (I always remember this particular day, because before my surgery my dad took me out for a few hours and said I could have anything I wanted, so I asked to buy a Gold/Silver guide book). I needed to have a tooth removed, and I hate needles, so I opted to have it removed. It was really weird having two holes in the top of my mouth (They had to remove the same tooth on the other side of my mouth for balance).

The second time I had my sinuses drained. I was ill with chronic daily migraines at the time, and they found some fluid in my sinuses that could have been causing the problem (yet, it didn't help). They made two holes (or so I was told) and put tupes up there to suck the fluid out. That was cool, but as soon as I woke up, I threw up.

So yeah, no major surgery for me. Or anytime in the future, touch wood.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Don't take acetaminophen before the operation or else you will bleed a lot and it will mess up your surgeons >: (

kingofjokers

This is not a custom title!!!!
    Years
  • dont worry they are trained professional that went to med school for like a long time i had surgery in my throat forgot whats it called and i was nervous and it hurt after but all that ice cream paid off

Champion Victoria

Puella docta
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2011
    I've had to have a few procedures in order to fix issues with internal tubing and the sorts. I was utterly terrified the first time and wasn't a fan of the "no eating after midnight" edict, but it was honestly not as bad as I had thought.

My complete fear of hospital gowns aside, the pre-surgery stuff was a lot of worrying over nothing. Honestly the worst part of it all wasn't even the disorientation on waking up, but the total scratchy throat feeling after being extubated. I suppose I was pretty annoyed over the recovery and the frustrations that caused, but I don't think that it should get lumped with the surgeries themselves.

Toblerone

Which chocolate is the best?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2010
    I've had my appendix removed :O. Yeah, Appendixitis. I woke up a bit strange, but that's what happens after you've just woken up from having your stomach cut open! Yeah, i was REALLY nervous when i was about to have it, and i was all "NO NO NO!". But well, it basically saved my life, so i was all for it (AFTER the operation, duh!). Lol.

So i don't think there's anything to worry about at all. If it saves your life, then you shouldn't really be afraid. ANd like said in previous posts, the surgeons are highly - trained Porfessionals! So you shouldn't be nervous. Of course, i had my appendix removed when i was 10, so i was SCARED! ^_^.

Back