• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Surprise Earthquakes rattle Colorado and Washington DC

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
  • Well that's weird. I thought we were going to be next.

Looked it up, and it looks like they're both under 6.0, so hopefully it isn't too bad. Still, that's big for those areas.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
  • I felt it in New York City, but it was just a little shake...still, I've never felt that feeling in my life. What's worse is that one of my aunts live near the center and my mom is trying to reach her...really hope she's alright...hope everyone else is too.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • I live in Virginia and wow I was freaked out. But my house shook and that was it. I've never experienced an earthquake soo yeah, glad nothing broke down.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    I felt the house shake. I am in Virginia as well. It was scary but Im ok and everything seems to be fine. I checked my house and checked on my dog and he's alright too. Nothing broken. I felt shaky for a little while but Im alright now.

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 1, 2013
    I'm in SC. My entire dorm building was shaking a little bit. There have been reports as far north as Rhode Island, and as far south as SC.

Gold19

Yes, I'm that One Guy
    Years
  • I'm from PA and I was freaked out at what just happen. My dad thought that the earthquake was cool.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    The earthquake hit Virginia, Colorado, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Rhode Island, and Washington D.C. It may have hit a couple other states. Possibly Delaware and Maryland, but I think that's it. It was said to be a 5.9 quake.

I live in New Jersey, so I felt it, too. It was just a little shake, but it scared the crap outta me! At first, I thought I kicked the desk I was sitting at, but I didn't remember kicking it. Then I felt the chair beneath me moving and I had that weird feeling in my gut. I looked around the room and suddenly everything is shaking a little. I was freaking out so much.

The same thing happened back in Arizona last year, where that huge earthquake hit southern California and it could be felt in Arizona. I didn't feel it, but some of my friends did.

I keep thinking another, hopefully smaller one, is about to happen, so I'm a bit on edge, right now...

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • My friend from Delaware said he felt it.

I heard it was downgraded to a 5.8 though.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Ouch! Thank god that those states very rarely get hit by earthquakes, so hopefully this will not happen again for about 30 years or something. At least there were no riots. (UK)

Last edited:

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I was able to feel the Virginia earthquake all the way up here in Toronto. The house shook for a few seconds, I really didn't know what was going on until I hit Facebook and saw people mentioning an earthquake. I only just found out its epicentre was in Virginia.

Hopefully everyone is okay. I haven't heard of anything disastrous happening so that's good news.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Here in Ohio, us in school felt nothing, but those outside said they felt a mini-Earthquake as parents were texting their kids that.

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    I'm in Boston, and I was in an 8-story building. I thought I was feeling dizzy, until I realized that everything was shaking, not me. I was confused, but I figured out what was going on, but I looked it up online and saw it instantly.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • What moved/ cracked in the crust to cause this...
    I'm glad everyone in the other side is okay :) I can expect this to happen here in the west but not over there...hopefully a new fault isn't beginning to form...

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2012
    The Earthquake and after shocks were coming from Mineral, Virginia(no Colorado earthquakes or dc earthquakes,they were just felt there.) and they were felt around the region and some.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • Ouch! Thank god that those states very rarely get hit by earthquakes, so hopefully this will not happen again for about 30 years or something. At least there were no riots. (UK)

Last one this size in VA was in 1879. So it's basically a 100-150 year event.

Official size now is 5.8 and about 3.7 miles beneath the surface. Shaking was felt from Atlanta GA to Toronto, and as far west as Chicago.

I live about 30 mi Northeast of the epicenter of the VA quake. I was watching tv in a lazy boy and felt it rocking, but I wasn't moving the chair. Then it sounded like a washing machine off-balance and then just got worse. I was frozen in the chair the whole time. No damage so far, but I'm sure I'll find something.

Last edited:

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    It's very unusual Virginia to have these types of quakes. Not even five minutes ago, I felt yet another aftershock.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • It was not in DC. It was in Virginia, almost 100 miles from DC. Get it right, Netto. >:|

And I was sitting here on my laptop and felt everything start shaking. I live in the eastern part of VA, not the central part where the earthquake hit, but it still caused some minor damage to some buildings around here. Very minor and not widespread at all.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • I currently live in Maryland... Experiencing earthquake for the first time in my life felt a bit strange, but it didn't rattle me at all. I rather felt really strange and said 'whoa... I never knew there would've been an Earthquake in this area...' inside my mind.

Maybe it's signal of 2012 phenomenon? :P

Back