• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tales Series Discussion Thread!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I understand that it will take time and cost money, but it seems that the only thing that will calm down this fandom is if there is both an English and a Japanese audio track or no voice tracks at all. Either way, people will find something to complain about.
Nah, just the Japanese voice only with the possibility to switch off (for those who love their English voices...) because seiyuus need jobs =D

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
Years
Nah, just the Japanese voice only with the possibility to switch off (for those who love their English voices...) because seiyuus need jobs =D

I thought it would be but that's what everyone seems to be wishing for. Even if there was a possibility of an English dub, people would probably complain about the chosen voices. It's like, everyone is just trying to pick at everything when in fact, shouldn't we be grateful that they even chose to localise Hearts R? Especially after all the games that probably will never be localised anyway (incl. PS3!Vesperia, the spin-offs like Radiant Mythology and Versus, Rebirth, etc).

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
Years
There may be remakes that will get localized =D

Baba keeps on saying that PS3!Vesperia most likely will not be localised but they are thinking about remaking Innocence? A friend of mine went to London MCM Expo (a anime/manga centred convention in the UK) and the Tales representatives said that they are considering localising Innocence.
There is a chance for the others, like you've said, but again we should be grateful about the fact they are actually localising Hearts R. I'm hoping for the localisation of the other games anyway :D
Plus, we're going to have Zestiria soon! And for the localisation to have been confirmed before the Japanese release is just amazing!

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Funny... Atlus fans complain about missing Japanese audio and Tales fans complain about missing English audio.
Wow, seriously, wow...

(Everyone should do this so English dubs of JRPGs could disappear from video games)
I really like the English dubs for Tales! Yeah they have the issue where they sound really hammy at times but I think that's more because no one talks like they do in JRPGs (especially really anime-trope based ones like Tales) in English, so it's hard to make it sound natural. And sometimes the voice directors have been hit and miss... like Bryce Papenbrook does such a mediocre job as Asbel in Graces but hearing him in media where he's had a good voice director? Man, the difference! But the more dubs we get and the more successful those are, the better the quality will get, imo. There are actually a lot of characters in Tales where I prefer the English interpretations/dubs a LOT more than the Japanese (Kratos, Jade, Anise, Yuri, Rowen, Muzet... even Alvin I generally prefer in English even though his original seiyuu is really good.)

English dubs make JRPGs more accessible to more people. Games are so much more immersive when you understand all of it. We're getting to a point where it's possible to include both English and Japanse audio tracks but I for one will be really sad if that tips into Japanese-only.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
English dubs make JRPGs more accessible to more people. Games are so much more immersive when you understand all of it. We're getting to a point where it's possible to include both English and Japanse audio tracks but I for one will be really sad if that tips into Japanese-only.

Definitely agree with this, a lot of people will be scared off by a game without English audio, many more than will be drawn to it. Having both would be ideal, though I'll always take a good dub in my own language over having to depend on pure subtitles.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Definitely agree with this, a lot of people will be scared off by a game without English audio, many more than will be drawn to it. Having both would be ideal, though I'll always take a good dub in my own language over having to depend on pure subtitles.
Well... this would be the case if the JRPG player base wasn't consisting of otaku/anime-fans mostly =D

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Well nowadays it is, because that's who the publishers primarily market towards - but back in ye olden days before that demographic was as large you would have JRPGs marketed to kids and teenagers in general.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
At E3, Dennis Lee, the global brand manager for the Tales series mentioned that Zestiria was going to be released in West in the same year it arrives in Japan. Video here, he says it near the end of the interview. So, that's pretty interesting. Hopefully that statement is true, because honestly it's demonstrating that Namco really does want to bring Tales to the rest of the world now, if it hasn't shown already that is.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
Three new videos for Zestiria! All of the videos compose of talking and events though. But still nice to see how the characters interact with each other and animated.

Skit:
Spoiler:

Event with Slay:
Spoiler:

Event with Alicia:
Spoiler:

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
Years
At E3, Dennis Lee, the global brand manager for the Tales series mentioned that Zestiria was going to be released in West in the same year it arrives in Japan. Video here, he says it near the end of the interview. So, that's pretty interesting. Hopefully that statement is true, because honestly it's demonstrating that Namco really does want to bring Tales to the rest of the world now, if it hasn't shown already that is.

I'm really looking forward to this! I've heard rumours about it being released about the same time but people find it easy to deny it. So that should be hopefully nearer the end of this year, the start of next at the latest?

Back