• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team-Building Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamless

Nightmares kept in Bottles
    Years
    Thanks Nah!

Right, so change up Dynamic Punch to Bullet Seed. I fiddled with Teambuilder and came out with this -

Team-Building Workshop

Breloom @ Life Orb
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Spore
    - Bullet Seed
    - Mach Punch
    - Rock Tomb

^

Team-Building Workshop

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Stone Edge
    - Pursuit
    - Ice Beam

Big green dinos, yay! Here Tyranitar's main function is to support Breloom and give Stealth Rock. Also, Pursuit for Celebi and all the other arses.

Team-Building Workshop

Umbreon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Heal Bell
    - Foul Play

Umbreon is just there for that Wish+Heal Bell support.

Team-Building Workshop

Metagross @ Metagrossite
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Rock Polish
    - Meteor Mash
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Ice Punch

Metagross is going to be a wall breaker. Hopefully.

Looking back I realise that all these Pokemon are my favourites design-wise xD entirely coincidental!

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Thanks Nah!

Right, so change up Dynamic Punch to Bullet Seed. I fiddled with Teambuilder and came out with this -

Team-Building Workshop

Breloom @ Life Orb
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Spore
    - Bullet Seed
    - Mach Punch
    - Rock Tomb

^

Team-Building Workshop

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Stone Edge
    - Pursuit
    - Ice Beam

Big green dinos, yay! Here Tyranitar's main function is to support Breloom and give Stealth Rock. Also, Pursuit for Celebi and all the other arses.

Team-Building Workshop

Umbreon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Synchronize
    Calm Nature
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Heal Bell
    - Foul Play

Umbreon is just there for that Wish+Heal Bell support.

Team-Building Workshop

Metagross @ Metagrossite
    Jolly Nature
    - Rock Polish
    - Meteor Mash
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Ice Punch

Metagross is going to be a wall breaker. Hopefully.

Looking back I realise that all these Pokemon are my favourites design-wise xD entirely coincidental!
    Clefable does Wish support better than Umbreon, since it has Unaware to counter setup sweepers and has less common weaknesses to take advantage of:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Moonblast
    -Heal Bell/Aromatherapy
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Unaware

Agility/Rock Polish Mega Metagross is played as a late-game attacker. 4 attacks Mega Metagross works in just about any stage of the game, as it's still decently fast:
    -Meteor Mash
    -Zen Headbutt
    -Ice Punch/Bullet Punch/Grass Knot
    -Earthquake/Hammer Arm
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Metagrossite

If you want to keep Rock Polish on Metagross, drop Ice Punch for Earthquake or Hammer Arm as it's walled by Steel Pokemon without either move.

Years
    [ORAS]Need help building an in-game and competitive team?

Hey guys,

So let me preface some things. I rom hacked my AS game to make it a bit harder. The way rom hacks work is that they share the save file with the cartridge so I can use these teams online. Only the levels of the in game trainers were changed so all pokemons I catch are legal (unless I randomize)

So my starter was torchic and I have a raltz, milotic and bagon as well. How would I go about creating a strong team around those? Which IV/EV spread, etc.

I am not a fan of Smogon ruling but I don't mind having a team for playing by smogon rules. I do want to be able to play VGC as well.

I would also like my team to be able to utilize some of my favourite moves like draco meteor, sheer cold (only reason I like it because theoretically absolute zero would collapse reality O.o, befitting of an infinite damage move), some signature legendary moves, high damage moves and crippling moves like swagger and t-wave.

I am basically having trouble building or training pokemons which have my favourite moves but also is balanced and can handle any playstyle (stall, setup, cripple, high damage) etc.

Can you guys help a brother out?

RawrMonkey

bloop
    Years
    You can't really just migrate over an in-game team into VGC, even if you're playing it on a harder level that involves "strategy." Strategy vs AI =/= strategy vs people.

For in-game this is easy, just have a diverse team with plenty of coverage options. Judging by what you wrote, and that you're more interested in VGC, I recommend Dialga. For type coverage, it covers most of what you were missing except for fairies and ghosts, this is also assuming you're using Gardevoir That'll give you double dragons (not as strong anymore since fairies), a fairy/dragon/steel core, and you can add in a grass type to give you a fire/water/grass core if you'd like but a lot of them are poop competitively.

For VGC, your only standard and most likely the only viable Pokemon you have is the Salamence. Give it a mega stone, choose two legends you'd like to have, and then you can build your team off that.

A common set for Salamence would be a mixed set:
    Mega-Salamence
    Intimidate -> Aerilate
    Naive nature (+Speed / -Sp. Defense)
    4 Attack / 252 Sp. Att / 252 Speed
    -Hyper Voice
    -Draco Meteor
    -Double-Edge/Return (DE preferred for competitive)
    -Protect(For VGC)/Earthquake/Flamethrower/Fire Blast

Fairly basic Salamence. You can mess around with the offensive EVs but Mega-Sally's base attack is already high and DE/Return will be boosted by Aerilate anyways and should mainly be used to get certain KOs.

If you're interested in Dialga then there are a bunch of sets you could run. Many Dialga are known to Trick Room (65.8% on BS) but for an in-game team you could run a basic offensive set that can easily work in with VGC with minimal changes:
    Dialga - Adamant Orb/Choice Specs/Assault Vest
    Pressure/Telepathy(Modest only - Jap. event)
    252 HP / 252 Sp. Att / 4 Sp. Def
    Quiet(0 Speed IV)/Modest
    -Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
    -Flash Cannon
    -Protect(For VGC)/Earth Power/Flamethrower/Thunder/Aura Sphere
    -Protect /Earth Power/Flamethrower/Thunder/Aura Sphere
    The last two slots, the moves are listed in order by usage based on BS stats.

And a couple of more tips:
    Sorry but sheer cold is terrible, although fun to use. Should only be used for fun. Try out sheer cats for ultimate sheer cold fun.
    No team is going to be able to cover every type of team out there. It's a common thing to have a terrible lead match-up in VGC but play around it and bounce back.
    If your team looks solid, just keep practicing with it and you'll eventually reach your comfort zone with it.

Now if only it were still VGC15, all your Pokemon would be able to do work in that meta. :(
    Although you could ladder on battle spot doubles for that..

Hope this is helpful.

Behexen

Mediocre Trainer
    Years
    Hey everyone, new to the forums and still very weak at team-building and competitive play. I'm posting to ask for some pointers on making a solid balanced team based on 12 pokémon that I've recently bred/trained. I decided to breed, train and grind up my favorite pokémon to BR without stats or roles/synergy in mind, and concentrate on combinations later (I realize how flawed of an approach that is). So far, my possible core is.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Thick Fat
    Jolly Nature
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Earthquake
    Ice Shard
    Endeavor
    Stealth Rock

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    Adamant Nature
    Evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Dragon Dance
    Outrage
    Taunt (?)
    (???)

Magnezone @ Leftovers
    Ability: Magnet Pull
    Modest Nature
    Evs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
    Substitute
    Thunderbolt
    Flash Cannon
    Hidden Power (Fire) <--- lucked out there so really prefer using Magnezone
    -----
    My other options are Alakazam, Talonflame, Volcarona, Venusaur, Crobat, Rhyperior, Slowbro, Lopunny and Bisharp. All BR with decent to perfect IVs, spare Lopunny and Bisharp who are still in early training. I am mainly looking for suggestions of team combinations, but also greatly appreciate any and all help, including EVs, movesets, etc. I am also not to great on deciding leads or megas. Unlisted pokémon are also fine, the ones listed above are just very much preferred, as it was tiresome to make and perfect them, as I don't use powersaves nor trade too often, and as stated they are some of my all-time favorites.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2016
    Team Advice for new player

Hi guys can someone help me with a competitive team I have chosen favourites and would like to build around these

Blastoise
    Typhlosion
    Sceptile
    Krookodile
    Metagross/Steelix
    Braviary/Dragonite

Thanks in advance :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2016
    Shizophrenic Weather

Me and some friends starting the first season of a Draft League.
    We are allowed to draft 3xOU, 3xUU, 3xRu and 3xNU.
    Im planning to draft a team you can play in the sun and in the rain.
    Maybe you can help me and give me some pokemon that would fit in like Heliolisk, who is able to perform in the sun and in the rain.
    And which mega would be the best?
    thx for your help :D

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Hi guys can someone help me with a competitive team I have chosen favourites and would like to build around these

Blastoise
    Typhlosion
    Sceptile
    Krookodile
    Metagross/Steelix
    Braviary/Dragonite

Thanks in advance :)
    Spoiler:

Fair warning, though: don't expect this team to work in a highly competitive area. That's the drawback that comes for only using favorites.
    Me and some friends starting the first season of a Draft League.
    We are allowed to draft 3xOU, 3xUU, 3xRu and 3xNU.
    Im planning to draft a team you can play in the sun and in the rain.
    Maybe you can help me and give me some pokemon that would fit in like Heliolisk, who is able to perform in the sun and in the rain.
    And which mega would be the best?
    thx for your help :D
    Rain:
    - Mega Swampert
    - Mega Scizor
    - Tornadus-T
    - Politoed (Drizzle)
    - Kingdra
    - Ludicolo
    - Manaphy
    - Thundurus (Rain Dance)
    - Kabutops

Sun:
    - Mega Charizard Y
    - Ninetales (Drought, only when no Mega Charizard Y)
    - Venusaur/Vileplume (Chlorophyl)
    - Arcanine

The only Pokemon that I can think of that might work in both is Volcarona (Rain+Hurricane and Sun+regular sets). Well, maybe Talonflame as well.
    Sun isn't all that good of a weather, though, and most Rain mons don't work all that well together with Sun mons and vice versa.

Tyrannus

The World Breaker
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Water Absorb/Dry Skin/Surf Team - Beginner

I'm new to team building and would like to know some recommendations for a WaterAbsorb/DrySkin/Surf team from people who know what they're doing.

Years
    From the sounds of this, this is a doubles team you're talking about? I'm not an expert by any means but I think that you might want to look into Toxicroak and Heliolisk. Both are quite good users of Dry Skin.

AeroDragoon

Pokemon Adventurer
    Years
    Hey, I'm trying to face the Super Chatelines and I was wondering if I could get a 3 man team which uses this Dragonite:
    Dragonite @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Multiscale
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Extreme Speed
    - Earthquake

Zinnious

Lucario Pokken Master
    Years
    Hey guys, sorry for sounding like a noob in advance, I'm new to this forum. I was just wanting to ask for help with building a competitive team to be a part of the so you wanna be a master challenge on Youtube. I have a team built on Team Magma's team builder, but I'm in doubt. This is my first post, so I can't link until my sixth. I'll post ASAP.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Hey guys, sorry for sounding like a noob in advance, I'm new to this forum. I was just wanting to ask for help with building a competitive team to be a part of the so you wanna be a master challenge on Youtube. I have a team built on Team Magma's team builder, but I'm in doubt. This is my first post, so I can't link until my sixth. I'll post ASAP.
    What is your team exactly, and for what format? We can still help you if you tell us that.

Zinnious

Lucario Pokken Master
    Years
    My team is for OU Singles and consists of:

Gallade
    Psycho Cut
    Drain Punch
    Leaf Blade
    Poison Jab
    Galladite

Sylveon F
    Moonblast
    Shadow Ball
    Psyshock
    Misty Terrain
    Cute Charm
    Life Orb

Aggron M
    Iron Head
    Head Smash
    Dragon Claw
    Thunder Punch
    Rock Head
    Assault Vest

Suicune (from HG/SS GameStop Shiny event)
    Rest
    Sleep Talk
    Calm Mind
    Scald
    Pressure
    Leftovers

Nidoking
    Poison Jab
    Earthquake
    Ice Punch
    Sucker Punch
    Rivalry
    Muscle Band

Noivern M
    Dragon Pulse
    Air Slash
    Heat Wave
    BoomBurst/Dark Pulse
    Frisk
    Choice Specs

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    My team is for OU Singles and consists of:

Gallade
    Psycho Cut
    Drain Punch
    Leaf Blade
    Poison Jab
    Galladite

Sylveon F
    Moonblast
    Shadow Ball
    Psyshock
    Misty Terrain
    Cute Charm
    Life Orb

Aggron M
    Iron Head
    Head Smash
    Dragon Claw
    Thunder Punch
    Rock Head
    Assault Vest

Suicune (from HG/SS GameStop Shiny event)
    Rest
    Sleep Talk
    Calm Mind
    Scald
    Pressure
    Leftovers

Nidoking
    Poison Jab
    Earthquake
    Ice Punch
    Sucker Punch
    Rivalry
    Muscle Band

Noivern M
    Dragon Pulse
    Air Slash
    Heat Wave
    BoomBurst/Dark Pulse
    Frisk
    Choice Specs

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

You need EVs and natures too, those are also important for competitive battles. For example, Gallade wants to be 252 Atk/252 Speed and Jolly while Suicune should be 252 HP/252 Def and Bold, to maximize their effectiveness in their roles.

Sylveon generally works best either as a Choice Specs attacker, or as a cleric. Basically like:

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Pixilate
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Hyper Voice
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power Fire
    - Baton Pass/Shadow Ball

or

Sylveon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pixilate
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Hyper Voice
    - Wish
    - Heal Bell
    - Protect

Pixilate is a much better ability since Cute Charm is dependent on the opposing 'mon's gender, them making contact with Sylveon, and the effect itself is not guaranteed. Pixilated Hyper Voice is also stronger than Moonblast and ignores Substitute.

Sheer Force, Nidoking's Hidden Ability, is better than Rivalry since the power boost is more guaranteed.

Your team also needs a Stealth Rock setter. Stealth Rock is by far the most important move in OU since the chip damage it racks up and the pressure it can cause is kind of insane. Aggron can learn it, though regular Aggron is a lackluster Pokemon due to it's low speed, 4x Fighting and Ground weaknesses, and having a low Sp.Def stat, even with Assault Vest. Heatran would be better in that slot and as a SR setter, since it also provides useful Fire STAB and immunity to Fire and Poison, and 4x Fairy and Steel resists (which is very important given how good and common Fairies and Steels are, though watch out for Azumarill). Can even spread burns or poison via Lava Plume and Toxic.

Hey, I'm trying to face the Super Chatelines and I was wondering if I could get a 3 man team which uses this Dragonite:
    Dragonite @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Multiscale
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Extreme Speed
    - Earthquake
    You're gonna wanna team it up with a Steel type at least, since Steel resists its primary weaknesses, Dragon, Fairy, Ice, and Rock, while Dragonite resists Fire and Fighting and is Ground immune, Steel's weaknesses. Something to sponge burns and/or paralysis is also good to have since Dragonite doesn't like getting burned or paralyzed.

Dragon Claw is also probably better than Outrage. The extra power is nice, but then the Maison will just start throwing Fairies and Steels at you all the time since it likes to be a bitch like that.

Zinnious

Lucario Pokken Master
    Years
    So in other words I get to spend 3 more months working on my team. And any advice for my Nidoking set?

Actually, now that I think about it, I have a Heatran with Eruption I got from a Pokemon Ranger Mystery Gift. I think it could be a good Heatran. It has a Quiet Nature, and knows Eruption, Ancient Power, Magma Storm, and Earth Power. I'll give it Flash Cannon and Stealth Rocks, and it should be good, right?

I also have a Breloom with a Jolly Nature. It has Poison Heal with a Toxic Orb. It knows Spore, Leech Seed, Protect, and Drain Punch.

Last edited by a moderator:

AeroDragoon

Pokemon Adventurer
    Years
    I've drawn up a team from the Maison legal pokemon and Smogon Ubers

So here we go:
    Klefki @ Light Clay
    Ability: Prankster
    Calm Nature
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Spikes
    - Foul Play

The goal with Klefki here is to set up dual screens, spikes, then attack 'till it faints. I don't know if I should replace spikes with swagger or thunder wave because I've heard that the Masion puts the odds in its favor. Since Kelfki is only weak to fire and ground, I put in my next Pokemon

Salamence @ Salamencite
    Ability: Aerialate
    EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Roost
    - Return
    - Earthquake

Really just a copy paste, but I thought it worked well with Klefki. Since so many Pokemon are banned from the Masion, I really felt that I needed a mega pokemon for a sweeper. Basially, D-Dance once, roost if appropriate, then sweep with Aerialated return or earthquake. Klefki's 2 weaknesses are negated or not effective (Unless I roost onto a ground type move, which will do normal dmg). Since M-Salamence is weak to Dragon, Ice, Rock and Fairy, I put in a revenge killer

Greninja @ Life Orb
    Ability: Protean
    EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Dark Pulse
    - Surf
    - Extrasensory

Fast, has Protean for STAB and a pretty diverse movepool made Greninja my choice for the final slot. Its basic role is to be a revenge killer or to help take down physical walls which M-Salamence can't.

Honestly, I don't have any experience in competitive style battling so feedback is really appreciated and feel free to swap stuff out

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Actually, now that I think about it, I have a Heatran with Eruption I got from a Pokemon Ranger Mystery Gift. I think it could be a good Heatran. It has a Quiet Nature, and knows Eruption, Ancient Power, Magma Storm, and Earth Power. I'll give it Flash Cannon and Stealth Rocks, and it should be good, right?
    Yeah that'd be fine.

As for Nidoking, people usually run it as a special attacker and not a physical one. I don't exactly remember why though, probably better coverage going special or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

also I wasn't aware you were doing this on cartridge, when you said OU I assumed that you were gonna do it on Showdown

I've drawn up a team from the Maison legal pokemon and Smogon Ubers

So here we go:
    Klefki @ Light Clay
    Calm Nature
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Spikes
    - Foul Play

The goal with Klefki here is to set up dual screens, spikes, then attack 'till it faints. I don't know if I should replace spikes with swagger or thunder wave because I've heard that the Masion puts the odds in its favor. Since Kelfki is only weak to fire and ground, I put in my next Pokemon

Salamence @ Salamencite
    Ability: Aerialate
    EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Roost
    - Return
    - Earthquake

Really just a copy paste, but I thought it worked well with Klefki. Since so many Pokemon are banned from the Masion, I really felt that I needed a mega pokemon for a sweeper. Basially, D-Dance once, roost if appropriate, then sweep with Aerialated return or earthquake. Klefki's 2 weaknesses are negated or not effective (Unless I roost onto a ground type move, which will do normal dmg). Since M-Salamence is weak to Dragon, Ice, Rock and Fairy, I put in a revenge killer

Greninja @ Life Orb
    Ability: Protean
    EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Dark Pulse
    - Surf
    - Extrasensory

Fast, has Protean for STAB and a pretty diverse movepool made Greninja my choice for the final slot. Its basic role is to be a revenge killer or to help take down physical walls which M-Salamence can't.

Honestly, I don't have any experience in competitive style battling so feedback is really appreciated and feel free to swap stuff out
    You'll probably get more mileage out of something other than Spikes on Klefki. The Maison AI never switches out unless it literally cannot do anything to you, and it's also 3v3 so Spikes is also only causing damage ~2 times a match. Safeguard would be a good option to help protect Mega Mence (and Greninja) from status for a while. T-Wave is decent too to cripple opposing frail sweepers. Swagger is just gonna get you haxed to death in Maison honestly.

Greninja can also run a mixed set with stuff like Low Kick and Gunk Shot.

AeroDragoon

Pokemon Adventurer
    Years
    You'll probably get more mileage out of something other than Spikes on Klefki. The Maison AI never switches out unless it literally cannot do anything to you, and it's also 3v3 so Spikes is also only causing damage ~2 times a match. Safeguard would be a good option to help protect Mega Mence (and Greninja) from status for a while. T-Wave is decent too to cripple opposing frail sweepers. Swagger is just gonna get you haxed to death in Maison honestly.

So maybe this Klefki?
    Klefki @ Light Clay
    Calm Nature
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Foul Play
    - Thunder Wave

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back