• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Team Magma and Aqua

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Glad to see someone standing up for Aqua and Magma. I've heard so many people complain that their plans make no scientific sense, but at the end of the day Aqua and Magma just don't have the resources and workforce that the most recent teams have. Pretty much any other team had some kind of evil scientist working with them who made all their crazy devices. Really, the only device Aqua/Magma are ever seen using is that G.I. Joe-esque machine they use in Mt. Chimney and Archie certainly doesn't look like a guy who would know how to build such a machine. But, even though they have no idea what they're doing, they still have a clear goal in mind instead of just "The world sucks. Let's kill everyone and then maybe everything will be better. Probably."

Also, didn't anyone find it weird that the people living in Lilycove don't even seem to care about the Team Aqua base that's right next to their town? The older people in town seem to have a "those crazy kids" attitude towards them. Well, it dawned on me: Aqua and Magma, before the Groudon/Kyogre incident, were nothing but hooligans. They might bully weather scientists and Devon clerks and break into museums to... look at stuff (seriously they didn't even try to steal anything in there), but at the end of the day they are really not that big a threat to national security for the police to break into their hideout and aprehend them. At least not as big a threat as "Oh no! A giant, flying ship is going to freeze us all! Someone help us!" That all changed when they happened across Groudon/Kyogre and tried to use their powers to realise their goals and finaly make everyone take them seriously. Then, at what should be their greatest moment, Groudon/Kyogre prove too much for them to control and in their rage almost destroy the entire world. It's just like what would happen if Jessie and James ever got hold of a legendary Pokemon.

So, I too would like the remakes to give them a little more depth. Emphasize just how incompetent and un-threatening they are at the begining of the game and even play it for laughs. I also agree that Archie and Maxie should not be palette-swaps of each other. Archie looks like the loud, energetic one, while Maxie looks like the calm, collected one. They should give them new dialogue to reflect that.

The idea of them beginning as simple hooligans is actually really interesting. I remember, at least in Ruby, some Grunts of Team Magma showed signs of corruption, joining for their own benefit and not the overall benefit of everyone. If they can play up that Maxie and Archie have good intentions, but had to get anyone possible to join their team, they could have a really interesting dichotomy--similar to Team Plasma vs. Neo Team Plasma in BW/B2W2.

Does anyone ele think that omega and alpha are similar to magmq and aqua
    I do think their names are a bit similar and their logos resemble them a little. It will be interesting to see how the titles tie into the games (especially since the Japanese logos bear a Red/Blue Orb-esque gem with the appropriate symbols on them).

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
    Years
    I hope that Magma/Aqua does get more tied into the story and having battles with the protags. I think for the last battle (assuming megas are in it) that they should have their own signature mega, like it seemed Camerupt was Maxie's and Mightyena was Archie's (tell if wrong). But then what exactly should they have done after the whole battle (KyoGro one) and tget just get depressed? I say come back post game before leaving for good.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Oh boy I hope this post doesn't end up being too long.

First off, regarding their outfits...if they receive a slight change, that's fine, but don't change the idea. It was brilliant--
    "We at Team Magma want more sun! Time to put on these hoods, leg warmers, partially black clothes and...oh no we appear to have melted."
    "We at Team Aqua want more rain! Let's dress like pirates, with thin clothes, no jackets...oh dear is this the flu I've caught?"

Your entire post is incredible and I applaud you for it, but I wanted to highlight this part. this right here really does sum everything about team aqua and Team Magma. Two opposing teams, thinking they are doing a noble deed, but neither one can really fathom what they're about to do. What brought Maxie to believe that the best way to counter the sun and heat was to dress in winter clothing and hoods? What convinced Archie that dressing in the thinnest wardrobe possible would protect him from the rain? What I want to know is what truly drove these men down the misguided path. Surely they were at some point able to at least imagine the power they were wanting to unleash. I mean, these are the very Pokemon said to be responsible for the water and land in the first place. These men had enough sense and intelligence to rally up followers and create machinery and what have you to help them with it, SURELY they were at least once able to understand the power of these beings.

R/S/E missed a lot of opportunity with these guys. So needless to say I'd love it if ORAS really brought them into a brighter light and really showcase these two forces.

4D73R

Trainer Cobalt
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    It would be cool if they had something to do with the mega evolution of Groudon and Kyogre (if it is a mega evolution).

Years
    They should keep Team Magma and Team Aqua as version exclusives, but use the epic final battle from Emerald, in which Groudon and Kyogre battle until Rayquaza appears to stop them. If there's a Pokemon "canon," then Ruby and Sapphire's events are the most open for interpretation. A remake should take advantage of that opportunity.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    Oh boy I hope this post doesn't end up being too long.
    Ya know, I had thought there was a little bit of a wrench to be thrown into your suggestion when it came to the Groudon vs Kyogre scene people will riot about if it is not present. And then I realized there isn't one.

It would be kind of interesting if the opposing team, the 'good' one, decided that the only way to stop the 'bad' one is to awaken the opposing legendary. It's different, but achieves the desired result.

Also, I must say you've given me pause for thought. I regard Aqua/Magma as the second worst villainous team in the main series. While your post hasn't convinced me they still aren't bad. You have shown me that they have potential.

P.S Bonus points for the point about the clothing.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Ya know, I had thought there was a little bit of a wrench to be thrown into your suggestion when it came to the Groudon vs Kyogre scene people will riot about if it is not present. And then I realized there isn't one.

It would be kind of interesting if the opposing team, the 'good' one, decided that the only way to stop the 'bad' one is to awaken the opposing legendary. It's different, but achieves the desired result.

Also, I must say you've given me pause for thought. I regard Aqua/Magma as the second worst villainous team in the main series. While your post hasn't convinced me they still aren't bad. You have shown me that they have potential.

P.S Bonus points for the point about the clothing.

It could even be awakened by accident, since the Red Orb awakened Kyogre (and the Blue Orb Groudon) and we can see what looks to be the Red and Blue Orbs on the titles' logos, but on the matching game, not opposing game.

If (this is a hypothetical here) Groudon and Kyogre get Megas (or any sort of forme, really) the evil team could easily go and grab the other orb to try and get their legendary into their powered-up forme, accidentally awakening the opposite legendary in the process. This would mean the legends themselves aren't version-exclusive, but the "Mega Stones" would be.

Granted, that's a change to the plot itself and not necessarily the teams, and it would definitely give Maxie/Archie a more sinister feel since they essentially wouldn't be satisfied with the destruction Groudon and Kyogre were already causing.

Years
    If Kyogre and Groudon recieve Mega evolutions, they should give the player the mega stone for the legendary available in their respective version once they defeat Team Magma and Aqua once and for all. It would make sense, because having the stone would be extra incentive for the evil organizations to awaken the legendary. As unique as the two teams are, they didn't really seem to want to 'take over the world' or anything absolutely diabolical.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    It could even be awakened by accident, since the Red Orb awakened Kyogre (and the Blue Orb Groudon) and we can see what looks to be the Red and Blue Orbs on the titles' logos, but on the matching game, not opposing game.

If (this is a hypothetical here) Groudon and Kyogre get Megas (or any sort of forme, really) the evil team could easily go and grab the other orb to try and get their legendary into their powered-up forme, accidentally awakening the opposite legendary in the process. This would mean the legends themselves aren't version-exclusive, but the "Mega Stones" would be.

Granted, that's a change to the plot itself and not necessarily the teams, and it would definitely give Maxie/Archie a more sinister feel since they essentially wouldn't be satisfied with the destruction Groudon and Kyogre were already causing.

The "orbs" on the titles are actually a Ruby and a Sapphire respectably. They even have a cut of a refined gem. Of course those may also be the orbs true forms...maybe they'll be renamed the Ruby Orb, the Sapphire orb, (and the Jade orb) the Emerald orb for Rayquaza.

Someone mentioned that Team Flare seemed like the best they've done with a Team but I feel that Plasma was better in that it had a history to it. Team Flare's creation was specified much, and their actions seemed everywhere. I sure hope that they keep the Magma and Aqua plots all working towards their final goals of expanding the land and sea.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
    Expand the Land/Sea

(I don't think there's a topic about this.)
    What do you guy think of the new designs for the Teams.

I say Team Magma has become more organized (they do appear to have a standard pose amongst each other) while Team Aqua became more rebellious/brutal looking (like actual Pirates). For me (who previously dislike Team Aqua) I actually think Team Aqua is looking badass and Team Magma is looking smooth. I've wonder though how Tabitha became to look so....Plump from his past design. Shelly has looks alot different too and somehow reminds me of the Arcade Star Dahlia

Last edited:

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
    I actually really like the Team Magma/Aqua re-designs. I think they got across the contradictory nature of both teams (the crazy-looking Team Aqua is after the calm-looking legendary, while the more serious-looking Team Magma is after the more wild-looking one).
    Also, nice touch on the Team Aqua admins and Archie wearing priceless ancient artifacts. They really ARE pirates!

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    It's good to see that the teams are looking more distinct now, instead of just being "palette-swaps" of each other. If this means the admins and bosses have different mannerisms and personalities I'm going to be very pleased.

I'm also glad they kept the general idea of Magma being overdressed and Aqua being under-dressed in these designs.

What I'm curious about is why Team Magma seems to have taken up these...poses. I can see the argument that they're going for a "nerds vs. jocks" theme with the two teams, and I can totally imagine Maxie telling the rest of Team Magma that by taking up these poses it would make them more "cool and intimidating" when in reality it doesn't, but to me it just makes them too similar to Team Flare. That's not good on account that I don't want the Teams to start being too similar to each other, and I was hoping for both Magma and Aqua to be played up in terms of how threatening they seemed. Right now, Team Aqua appears much more threatening; taking up poses like the Team Flare Grunts did is just silly! I can't even imagine why Team Aqua would help the player in Omega Ruby because, one, of how threatening and powerful they look, and two, why would anyone think such a silly group like Team Magma would need to be stopped? It's actually also similar to what happened with Team Galactic, in which their uniforms were so silly that no one took them seriously until they started bombing lakes. The story of Omega Ruby could take a path like this, where Team Aqua doesn't really form or show up until Magma starts making some serious moves, but it would make Team Magma basically just a combination of Flare and Galactic, and it would also mean that there would be more differences between OR and AS, because I can't imagine people not taking Team Aqua seriously now, even from the get-go. They really look like they mean business!

As for the redesigns in general, there are some I'm not happy with, but what's done is done, and at this point all I can hope for is that at least this time around the characters are given the depth and focus that they deserve.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    Although I like the new designs and the overhauls (btw Courtney and Shelley look totes hawt <3) What bothers me most is Tabitha and Matt. Moreso on Tabitha >.>

Years
    I really like them overall, gotta say the two female admins look amazing especially. I really like Courtney's design and I think she suitably stands out amongst her team whereas before I fear she may have got slightly lost in the shuffle.

With Shelly I think she looks amazing, I know people loved her original pinkish hair but I think this new colour really meshes well with her new design, plus she seems to have swapped hair colour with Courtney so at least there's still one admin between the two with pink hair lol :)

Years
    Team Magma and Aqua

They look really good in 3D, although nothing less was expected, haha. Absolutely love the short cut scene added before the battle begins, creates a sense of importance for the battle, other than just being awesome! Maxie's redesign is starting to grow on me, but Archie's still perfect. *__*

Years
    Has anyone else noticed the keystones on Archie and Maxie. Maxie seems to have it on the right of his glasses and Archie on his necklace. Mega Sharpedo and Camerupt confirmed?

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    I could roll with Mega Sharpedo. Ability is Drizzle and its speed and attack get a boost. Perfect for Archie. n__n; That and Camerupt would be so great. I wouldn't be surprised honestly.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
    Has anyone else noticed the keystones on Archie and Maxie. Maxie seems to have it on the right of his glasses and Archie on his necklace. Mega Sharpedo and Camerupt confirmed?

I noticed it too, and half expected them to have a mega Pokemon. That would be pretty cool. Sharpedo would finally gain its bottom half. xD

Another part of me, however, wants to think that those aren't key stones at all, considering Mega Evolution is also achieved through a strong bond with one's Pokemon, which evil teams tend not to have, rather using them for wrongdoing.

I have shoved this part of me in a cage with no food, however.

Years
    I could roll with Mega Sharpedo. Ability is Drizzle and its speed and attack get a boost. Perfect for Archie. n__n; That and Camerupt would be so great. I wouldn't be surprised honestly.

Drizzle would make Mega Sharpedo hella OP especially with a couple of speed boosts in. I would love to see a shiny Mega Sharpedo

I noticed it too, and half expected them to have a mega Pokemon. That would be pretty cool. Sharpedo would finally gain its bottom half. xD

Another part of me, however, wants to think that those aren't key stones at all, considering Mega Evolution is also achieved through a strong bond with one's Pokemon, which evil teams tend not to have, rather using them for wrongdoing.

I have shoved this part of me in a cage with no food, however.

I could see that, but maybe it could show us that even evil teams can have strong bonds with their pokemon XD

Back