• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Teen Pregnancy

Psychotic_Demon

The Espeon of the Moon
    Years
    Nagoyaka Aikouka said:
    Again, I feel the need to bring up the point that NOT ALL TEEN PREGNANCIES ARE CONSENTUAL OR EVEN HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE PARTIES!

Please, please... Do not forget about rape. There are so many of them out there, and so many more of us who come closer than we're comfortable with. Being put in that situation doesn't make you irresponsible.

Like me. I didn't get an abortion, but there were health problems, so the child died anyways...

DragonTrainer

Shiver me timbers!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Mar 8, 2012
    Not once, ONCE, did I address rape, so don't bring that up right now.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
    Years
    I've heard a 9-year-old and 13-year-old getting pregnant.. It's crazy... Parents should take better care, I'm not telling you guys that you can't do anything but woulden't your parents get mad if you got pregant when your teen+ age?

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    DragonTrainer said:
    Personally, if you're a teenager you shouldn't go around having sex anyways because chances are you're not responsible enough to completely take care of yourself, and if you can't do that, why be responsible for another life?

Yes, I know there's some cases where everyone becomes happy and yadda yadda yah, but the thing is, a lot of times they shouldn't get themselves in that position.
    I disagree. I don't believe age bears any relevance to your level of responsibility and maturity. Responsibility and maturity are gained through experience and knowledge, a younger person may have had more life experiences than an older person so they may have learned to be more responsible from an earlier age.

For instance, I am much, much more responsible and mature than my 22 year old brother. That's because I've been through more difficult and challenging situations, coupled with the fact that I'm a lot smarter than him.

Besides, responsibility isn't key to having sex anyway. Knowledge, understanding and awareness of the ins and outs (no pun intended) of sex are what's important. If you know how to practice safe sex, you understand the risks involved of not protecting yourself and you actually do use contraception as well as understand the potential emotional implications then I see no problem with teenagers having sex.

Nagoyaka Aikouka said:
    Again, I feel the need to bring up the point that NOT ALL TEEN PREGNANCIES ARE CONSENTUAL OR EVEN HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE PARTIES!

Please, please... Do not forget about rape. There are so many of them out there, and so many more of us who come closer than we're comfortable with. Being put in that situation doesn't make you irresponsible.
    I don't know why you had to raise that point again. It's already been discussed in here and I don't think people want to return to that issue. Since this thread is aimed at discussing two consenting teenagers having sex.

And not a single person said that the rape victim was irresponsible in that kind of situation.

RayquazaX said:
    I've heard a 9-year-old and 13-year-old getting pregnant.. It's crazy... Parents should take better care, I'm not telling you guys that you can't do anything but woulden't your parents get mad if you got pregant when your teen+ age?
    9 years old? Are you sure that's right? If so, that would be a very rare occurance, since most girls start puberty in their early teens. And I would hazard a guess that the 9 year old probably came from some country with messed up laws and wasn't exactly constenting.

About the parents, I'd imagine that a lot of parents would get angry, but it always depends on the situation. I'd say at least 8/10 parents would be livid, moreso the parents of the girl, but some parents are understanding and, if you did use protection but were just unlucky, then they shouldn't really blame their kids.

On a side note, anyone else noticed how YoMama has avoided this thread like the plague since he was caught lying?

ArKiVe

Back In Black
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Oct 30, 2006
    Personally, I don't like teen pregnancy. If they can manage well though, I guess it's alright as long as they can provide for their children and did not just do it because it was an accident. I'm also against abortions.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    Dawson said:
    I disagree. I don't believe age bears any relevance to your level of responsibility and maturity. Responsibility and maturity are gained through experience and knowledge, a younger person may have had more life experiences than an older person so they may have learned to be more responsible from an earlier age.

For instance, I am much, much more responsible and mature than my 22 year old brother. That's because I've been through more difficult and challenging situations, coupled with the fact that I'm a lot smarter than him.

Besides, responsibility isn't key to having sex anyway. Knowledge, understanding and awareness of the ins and outs (no pun intended) of sex are what's important. If you know how to practice safe sex, you understand the risks involved of not protecting yourself and you actually do use contraception as well as understand the potential emotional implications then I see no problem with teenagers having sex.

I don't know why you had to raise that point again. It's already been discussed in here and I don't think people want to return to that issue. Since this thread is aimed at discussing two consenting teenagers having sex.

And not a single person said that the rape victim was irresponsible in that kind of situation.

9 years old? Are you sure that's right? If so, that would be a very rare occurance, since most girls start puberty in their early teens. And I would hazard a guess that the 9 year old probably came from some country with messed up laws and wasn't exactly constenting.

About the parents, I'd imagine that a lot of parents would get angry, but it always depends on the situation. I'd say at least 8/10 parents would be livid, moreso the parents of the girl, but some parents are understanding and, if you did use protection but were just unlucky, then they shouldn't really blame their kids.

On a side note, anyone else noticed how YoMama has avoided this thread like the plague since he was caught lying?

I, instead, do not believe in this at all. Even if a teenager is "responsible" and wants to have sex, I still don't believe it to be right.
    I believe in only having sex with your partner after you're married. Not because of a religious-thing, but I believe that sexual intercourse is sacred, and a way to show someone you really love them. Marriage is a symbol of commitment to the person.

Yes, I know there are some who do not see it fit to get married, and I don't mind if they decide to have sex. But you cannot make that decision when you're only 14, or even when you're only 18 or 19 years old.

You watch the media every day about those people who are going back for their 8th DNA test to see who's the father of their child. It's ridiculous. People shouldn't be acting like -animals-
    We have INTELLIGENCE. And the ones who decide to sell their body off like that are obviously lacking intelligence.

Yes, I also recognise that there are people who get raped.. and those cases are excusable..
    But it also goes back to our society being extremely stupid.

Unless someone has a serious mental distorder and rapes someone, at least that's not their fault. They're just psycho. Their brain hasn't developed to give them the common sense of a human being and they're only reacting with what their body wants.

But for those other people who know the consequences, then that's another story. They're hurting people; and it's not right. They're like a plague as well.
    It's like the human race is hitting rock bottom. Everyone is having sex as if it's nothing, and it's not considered special anymore.

It truely sickens me. And even if safe sex is practiced, you can't protect yourself from the emotional impact it has on a person.

Save sex for when you're old enough to understand the consequences, and have the money to support yourself and any children you may have with your partner.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
    Years
    Ahh I have to post here. OK were to begin. If people want to have sex and get prego thats fine with me. I dont plan on getting anyone prego anytime soon. And for those who are wondering, what the heck is prego, its a term everyone who lives here uses instead of pregnant. If thats what they want then more power to them. I know many people who have gotten prego and i dont care. Many of them being friends. Doesn't mean I am gonna og off and get a girl prego! Anyway, there was one girl named Amanda I know who got prego. She didn't have anyone there for her. I REALLY liked her. I let her know and we got together. She had a miscarage. I was going to take care of her and the baby. we split a while ago but it all matters one maturity to me. I was am still am very mature for my age. And yes she got prego but she is a very mature girl. We are still really good friends and she knows I will always be here for her. Thats what I have to say about that!

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    Aang: The Last Airbender said:
    Ahh I have to post here. OK were to begin. If people want to have sex and get prego thats fine with me. I dont plan on getting anyone prego anytime soon. And for those who are wondering, what the heck is prego, its a term everyone who lives here uses instead of pregnant. If thats what they want then more power to them. I know many people who have gotten prego and i dont care. Many of them being friends. Doesn't mean I am gonna og off and get a girl prego! Anyway, there was one girl named Amanda I know who got prego. She didn't have anyone there for her. I REALLY liked her. I let her know and we got together. She had a miscarage. I was going to take care of her and the baby. we split a while ago but it all matters one maturity to me. I was am still am very mature for my age. And yes she got prego but she is a very mature girl. We are still really good friends and she knows I will always be here for her. Thats what I have to say about that!

She may have been mature, but as I pointed out before, she didn't have the mental stability to keep the baby (especially if not for you)

Also, how would you feel if you spent (let's say 3 years) caring for her and this baby.. and then one day she tells you that she doesn't love you anymore? How would that make you feel? Would you feel like all that time and money you spent was a waste?

You're young, and even though you might love this girl now, things might be different in the future.

If the man that got her pregnant truly cared for her, then he would've stayed with her.
    This is the point I'm trying to make.
    People should wait until their older, because they are willing to see if being with their current boyfriend or girlfriend is the right decision. If not, then they will break up.
    People who are young and want to have sex do it just for their own pleasure. They don't do it for the other person.

Anyways, I applaud you for being such a great friend to that girl~ I just hope she learns to think before she makes decisions like that.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
    Years
    Kadaj said:
    She may have been mature, but as I pointed out before, she didn't have the mental stability to keep the baby (especially if not for you)

Also, how would you feel if you spent (let's say 3 years) caring for her and this baby.. and then one day she tells you that she doesn't love you anymore? How would that make you feel? Would you feel like all that time and money you spent was a waste?

You're young, and even though you might love this girl now, things might be different in the future.

If the man that got her pregnant truly cared for her, then he would've stayed with her.
    This is the point I'm trying to make.
    People should wait until their older, because they are willing to see if being with their current boyfriend or girlfriend is the right decision. If not, then they will break up.
    People who are young and want to have sex do it just for their own pleasure. They don't do it for the other person.

Anyways, I applaud you for being such a great friend to that girl~ I just hope she learns to think before she makes decisions like that.

Thank you very much for your words but she didn't give up the baby, she lost the baby. Which really upset her...and me. If she would have done that, I would have been VERY upset but I know I would have help keep that baby safe those first how ever many years.
    But if your just having sex just to have sex, then you need to grow up. If you cant keep it in your pants or cant keep it out of your pants then you have a serious problem.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
    Seventh Petal said:
    Use A Condom.

They should improve their sex ed classes, so that students actually pay attention to the issues that are being hinted.

I personally find nothing wrong with teenage pregnancy. I mean; maybe they were destined to be pregnant as a young age. If they don't want the child the option of abortion is always there. I'm not saying it should be encouraged or anything, but if you indeed have no plan as to how to care for the child it's better to let it go than give birth to it and make them misrable.

How about eliminating sexual education classes and all other references to sex that people are exposed to before age 18 so that people will not know how to become pregnant in the first place?

Has anyone else heard of a great concept known as abstinence? It has worked really well for me and none of the girls I know have become pregnant yet.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    Shining Arcanine said:
    How about eliminating sexual education classes and all other references to sex that people are exposed to before age 18 so that people will not know how to become pregnant in the first place?

Well that's pretty much the most impracticable suggestion yet. Kids aren't learning about sex from sexual education classes. Sure, they teach you the basic mechanics of how sex works, but mostly all they do is shove abstinence concept down your throat. If anything, they should teach people MORE. And the media isn't going to just stop promoting sex.

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
    Years
    Shining Arcanine said:

Has anyone else heard of a great concept known as abstinence? It has worked really well for me and none of the girls I know have become pregnant yet.

I'm sorry, but that is completely infeasible. Kids find out. It happens, and it can't be changed. They'll find out from older siblings, older peers, even parents.

Abstinence programs themselves are similarly, not entirely feasible. It requaires an emotional and disciplined committment that many teens, due to lack of experience, raging hormones, or even simple laziness cannot handle. 52% of all teens who take an absitnence pledge break it within a year. Due to inground religious practices, many do not use protection in those encounters. Guess what happens.

It's been proven that a comprehensive sexual education program is far more effective than any program that focuses solely on one aspect of prevention, such as abstinence, condoms, or whatever.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    I honestly think that if people WANT to choose to abstain from sex, then they will. If not, then they wont.
    But I think that it's mainly the media's fault. They're glorifying the "sex image" and the fact that if you wear skimpier clothing (for girls), then men will pay more attention to you, or you'll become the ideal image.

For guys, I would think that it would be the "Bling" or the "cars" or even the fact that he has girls around him already (which also suggests him as being a pimp.)

The term prositute is also becoming very common. You can basically see them everywhere nowadays. You can even see it at school (or at least, my school.)
    Mostly girls, willing to pass themselves around to handfuls of guys just to become popular and have that image.

I think it's disgusting.

Years
    I'm a Christian. Already made up my mind.

You're right, it's disgusting. I think MTV contributes to this alot. With all the shaking(you know what I mean), how could it not?

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
    Because it's people like Rupert Murdoch who promote it just to make an easy buck.

*shot*

What's even more amazing is how young they become grandmothers. I have a coworker who knows a woman that became a grandmother at the age of 32. A customer checking out at the time of speaking was 42 and had her grandchild with her. I had read in a paper about a 37-year-old grandmother only a year ago. Even though I live right outside Atlantic City, I never imagined the coworker to say that a 32-year-old grandmother was not an anomaly.

This is what I consider to be a drastic low in the situation. A girl is impregnated and gives birth at 16, and then her child fools around and gives birth at 16 as well. Either this was a case of the mother not being responsible enough to teach her daughter the lesson she learned, probably due to the rife drug environment in that town, or a case of not being able to exercise enough influence over her daughter, which is also rather common when you grow up in a town around drugs. To me, it's horrible; it's nerve-wracking even thinking about it.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
    Years
    The sad thing is, girls beleive that if you have sex with a guy they will go around telling all thier guy friends (And most do) But they thinks its a way to become popular but really its a way to become a slut. (NOT ALL GIRLS APPLY) I come from a family that thinks if you hit a girl, if we get a hold of you, were are gonna beat the daylights out of you. I respect women. Thats who I am. I will stick up for any girl who is being treated like an animal. Its wrong and sick and forcing a girl to have sex with you or to have sex with other guys is wrong and if I knew anyoen who did that, they wouldn't have any teeth because I would knock them down their throat. If you dont like the way I am, to bad. You will get over it and if not, then thats your problem.

Shining Arcanine

Senior Super Moderator
    Years
    ~Ozy~ said:
    I'm sorry, but that is completely infeasible. Kids find out. It happens, and it can't be changed. They'll find out from older siblings, older peers, even parents.

Abstinence programs themselves are similarly, not entirely feasible. It requaires an emotional and disciplined committment that many teens, due to lack of experience, raging hormones, or even simple laziness cannot handle. 52% of all teens who take an absitnence pledge break it within a year. Due to inground religious practices, many do not use protection in those encounters. Guess what happens.

It's been proven that a comprehensive sexual education program is far more effective than any program that focuses solely on one aspect of prevention, such as abstinence, condoms, or whatever.

If teenagers cannot control themselves, then parents should. It is not the education system's job to be people's parents, that is the job of parents. Therefore parents need to crack down and refuse to allow their children out of their supervision (i.e. there will be no time out of the house other than for classes) until they leave for college. It worked rather well with me, although I never had much of an interest in the girls I am in contact with anyway; all they have on their minds is sex.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
    Years
    You are in control of yourself no matter what. You may say. Well I couldn't help it. But you can. You always can. No matter what the situation.

Lord Mike

Most Loyal Colts Fan on Earth
    Years
    Shining Arcanine said:
    If teenagers cannot control themselves, then parents should. It is not the education system's job to be people's parents, that is the job of parents. Therefore parents need to crack down and refuse to allow their children out of their supervision (i.e. there will be no time out of the house other than for classes) until they leave for college. It worked rather well with me, although I never had much of an interest in the girls I am in contact with anyway; all they have on their minds is sex.

Teenagers should be able to have control over themselves. They need help obviously if they're can't control themselves. :\

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    Shining Arcanine said:

It is not a good idea to shelter kids to be socially retarded and then thrust them out into the real world where they'll be eaten alive by society.

Back