• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Teenage Pregnancy

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    As much as you guys are right, and this is what people must learn, there's kind of a war raging here. Just look at the society around us, everyother rap, hip hop, pop, whatever song seems to have direct meaning to sex. Movies are full of people getting laid, rape is on the news on a daily basis, it's losing (if not lost) it's meaning.
    In today's day and age, a deep meaningful kiss or just holding hands can (not always, it's not everyone I know that, it just seems that way) be more romantic or a greater sign of love than two people sharing their uh organs? hearts.

It's no wonder there's so many teenage pregnancies and in some cases these people are victims. Victims of many things, and yes they need support not people telling them how stupid they are.

Happy Dude

Queen of the DDC.
    Years
    I'm still wondering why Premarital came into this It's a completly different topic.

Not only is teenage pregnancy not safe... It is stupid so many risks with it mental, physical, social aspects.

So I say no not until you are old enough To care for YOURSELF let alone a child.

PunkerThanThou

way too punx for giraffes.
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 31, 2008
    I'm still wondering why Premarital came into this It's a completly different topic.

Not only is teenage pregnancy not safe... It is stupid so many risks with it mental, physical, social aspects.

So I say no not until you are old enough To care for YOURSELF let alone a child.

Because of the following; I'm going to assume most people having sex under the age of 20 are not married. What we are saying is, once you are married, you are actually entrusting your body and everything else to this person, making it MUCH safer, because generally you are above the age 20, and MUCH more mature, so you have a fair idea of whether you actually WANT to get pregnant. There are, of course, exceptions...but everything has exceptions.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    Is there anyone on PC who has ever actually had sex before? I'd be interested to see if/how their opinion would differ to those in this thread.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    The truth of the matter is that it isn't killing. It's not infanticide. It's aborting a foetus, not killing a baby.
    Your word isn't fact either :)

Anyway, I can't say I feel much sympathy for those teenagers getting pregnant i.e. those that have sex by choice and then get pregnant. Sex is for the conception of children, that is a fact. Society may see it nowadays as a leisure activity (having become desensitised to the act), but when it comes down to bodily functions, sex will lead to the creation of children, (unless prevented by contraceptives, of course).

As ACC-M said, there is no such thing as "safe sex", since even with the use of contraceptives, there is still always the chance that a pregnancy may arise (plus a whole heap of other nasty things 8D). It's a shame that most people don't realise this, but again, knowing what the main purpose of sex is, it makes sense.

I think for a long time now society will look down upon those girls pregnant in their teens. It's just not something particularly accepted, especially when women are bearing children later and later on in their lives, or even not at all. What's odd though is that there are some girls that want to get pregnant during their teens (though sometimes not for the most admirable of reasons). But, if they feel that they can bear the responsibility, then good luck to them - they'll need it.

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    That's completely unrealistic. People have urges and desires. Pre-marital sex is sex. One and the same. Teenage Pregnancy happens, these girls need help and support. They don't need to be shunned.

I agree completely. I also think the guys co-responsible for the pregnancy need help and support, incidentally. Dx

I agree with this. Why have sex with someone you don't love and trust to the max? I wouldn't :\

The thing is, not everyone who is pregnant at this age is just having sex with random people. I think I've stated that teenagers are often immature; adolescence is a time of great identity upheaval and hormonal activity, and it is incredibly easy to believe you love someone when you don't. Especially when your hormones are crazy. I don't think self-control is the first thing you can say -- not everyone has self-control.

As much as you guys are right, and this is what people must learn, there's kind of a war raging here. Just look at the society around us, everyother rap, hip hop, pop, whatever song seems to have direct meaning to sex. Movies are full of people getting laid, rape is on the news on a daily basis, it's losing (if not lost) it's meaning.
    In today's day and age, a deep meaningful kiss or just holding hands can (not always, it's not everyone I know that, it just seems that way) be more romantic or a greater sign of love than two people sharing their uh organs? hearts.

It's no wonder there's so many teenage pregnancies and in some cases these people are victims. Victims of many things, and yes they need support not people telling them how stupid they are.

See, you're just blaming the media for something that's always been a problem. As society is becoming more liberal, I suppose that people are loosening up about sex practically as well, but teenage pregnancy used to be a lot more taboo. Yet it still happened. Induced abortion, crude methods of birth control... shotgun weddings... None of these are new things. It was just that a lot of people preferred to keep it secret, more than they do these days, anyway. It's not about 'today's day and age' alone. Sure, I'll agree that people are sleeping around more today, but it's happened throughout history.

In fact, while I'm on that point, teenage pregnancy within marriages isn't taboo in some countries, and wasn't always in these. In fact, it's customary in these places. I'm assuming this thread refers to pregnancy caused by sex out of wedlock, though...

PunkerThanThou said it best, but most teenagers aren't married [in our society, not other places].

Your word isn't fact either :)

I'm fairly sure the definition of a baby differs from that of a foetus, though.

Anyway, I can't say I feel much sympathy for those teenagers getting pregnant i.e. those that have sex by choice and then get pregnant. Sex is for the conception of children, that is a fact. Society may see it nowadays as a leisure activity (having become desensitised to the act), but when it comes down to bodily functions, sex will lead to the creation of children, (unless prevented by contraceptives, of course).

Sex, contraceptives or infertility or other birth control methods excluded still, will not always lead to the conception of children. I won't argue that sex isn't biologically for making kids, nor will I argue against it, but I don't think that the act should necessarily be considered just baby-making. I don't think that society is so much desensitised, though. Maybe the society we live in has become more desensitised from what it used to be, but texts like [the sexual part] of the Kama Sutra weren't written just recently. Particular ancient civilisations were a lot more liberal about sexuality than many people nowadays. It was appreciated in other senses as a pleasurable activity, and I don't see why that pleasure should be reduced to 'making babies'.

As ACC-M said, there is no such thing as "safe sex", since even with the use of contraceptives, there is still always the chance that a pregnancy may arise (plus a whole heap of other nasty things 8D). It's a shame that most people don't realise this, but again, knowing what the main purpose of sex is, it makes sense.

The term safe sex, at least in my posts -- I won't answer for anyone else, knowing the general intelligence level on PC --, refers to 'safer by comparison'. Even abstinence isn't safe, if you're so inclined to use Biblical stories as an argument [I won't even comment, but, you know], or if you get raped or whatever...

I think for a long time now society will look down upon those girls pregnant in their teens. It's just not something particularly accepted, especially when women are bearing children later and later on in their lives, or even not at all. What's odd though is that there are some girls that want to get pregnant during their teens (though sometimes not for the most admirable of reasons). But, if they feel that they can bear the responsibility, then good luck to them - they'll need it.

Yet, in the recent past, girls were getting pregnant much, much younger. I think it's more the out-of-wedlock aspect... People view it as sleeping around, being trashy, etc.; they just automatically stereotype these women. I agree that society will continue to look down on them, but it seems to me they can't win. One mistake, and if they abort, it's murder, if they put it out for adoption, they're being heartless, and if they keep it, they're making a stupid mistake and relying on their parents/the system/etc. It just doesn't seem fair to me somehow... D:

Is there anyone on PC who has ever actually had sex before? I'd be interested to see if/how their opinion would differ to those in this thread.

Hahahaha. Are you kidding? Of course there isn't. Pointless rhetorical questions...

Years

(note, I'm not going to cover rape because that's out of the girl's control, and not her fault)

Well... yes I have but I'm not sure how that matters? I was going to post yesterday but my opinion was so brief I didn't think it'd be worth it. Ok, I just finished typing it and it's not exactly brief...

Well, of course my opinion on teen pregnancy is pretty simple - it's not good for the teen and not good for the unborn child in question. Unless she's inhereited a lot of money and is going to be pretty cosy, with adults to help her along, she's going to struggle. The baby will not have the best start in life she could have given them if she had concieved a bit later when she is more settled and secure. I don't think teens hould be forbidden to have sex if they really want to, but I do feel sex education is poor at best and being a bit more informed is always an advantage. For example there are times in a woman's cycle when she's far less likely to accidentaly concieve if her protection fails.

I think that as long as they know the possible consequences, and nobody feels under pressure to have sex, then I can't figure out anything wrong with that. Perhaps it would be good to discourage teens, advise them to wait until they're older and tell them why, but tell them its their choice. Some young teens are stubborn and if they're told it's not allowed, they're more likely to do it just because it's not allowed.

The after-morning pill is a tool which should be used sparsely (it is linked to irreversable damage if it's used as a common contraceptive). If a girl is worried because the condom broke the night before, it's better to take a little pill to stop the bunch of cells from even latching in the first place, rather than about a month later have her unborn child sucked out of her, or nine months later be landed wih a child she can't look after.

I understand how people's feelings about love and marriage are different, and I respect anyone's choice to abstain until marriage, whether for personal piece of mind, pride, or for religious purposes. But teen sex is going to happen, it's always happened, young girls have gotten pregnant at young ages since the dawn of time - it's only lately has it become a big deal and a burden, due to our changing lifestyles where it's more of an advantage to brood later in life rather than earlier. That doesn't make it right, but it's a fact of life. All one can do is make it safer for them if they make that choice, and give them the information they need to avoid getting pregnant, and make it CLEAR to them there is no protection which is completely safe.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Now of course, it goes to the girl's influences in life. What she's been shown, what she takes in. As well as peer pressure, & all that jazz. But in the core, in it's prime, the only one to blame for this are the parents themselves.

Sure, plenty of teens had all the options presented to them. They know the consequences by now. I won't speak for the teens that don't, as they all should, but I can speak for those who do. They know full well the risk of having sex. They know thhe many dangers, yet they choose to ignore it. They decide for THEMSELVES to go about it.

There is only so much we can say "teen sex is going to happen". Regardless, they have the responsibilty to make sure they take all necessary precautions.

Not having enough self control is not a viable excuse. You can't tell your child that (s)he doesn't have a good life because (s)he was born from me not having self control. There is a level of personal responsibility that goes with it.

And a level of understanding as well.

I think that as long as they know the possible consequences, and nobody feels under pressure to have sex, then I can't figure out anything wrong with that. Perhaps it would be good to discourage teens, advise them to wait until they're older and tell them why, but tell them its their choice. Some young teens are stubborn and if they're told it's not allowed, they're more likely to do it just because it's not allowed.

This is what I mean by responsibility. It's not something to take lightly. That is a VERY adult decision, aand like all adult decision, there are consequences.

As for the bolded part, that also hit me. Premarital sex aside, they must learn that it's not something to do on a whim. As said, it's a grown-up (I don't say grown-up much anymore) choice, and shouldn't be used for rebelion, as the child will suffer in the long run.

I'm not speaking as some ranting judgemental prick. I speak as the youngest brother, with all older brothers & sisters who have been pregnat at a young age. Only one sister (who is a few months older) has not had a child. She is the only one in college, along with me.

Right now, the reason I am waiting till I'm older is because my brother (I meant brother, not brothers) & sisters ALL urged me-no, forced me-to finish school before I made the same mistake they made. They all say the exact same thing. "I wish I had waited". The youngest out of them (besides the one who is a few months older) is JUST starting college. She is 24. She is still struggling to do so with her son, who is 8. She wished she could go earlier, & doean't know how she will make it. But she knows she has my full support. They all know that, & will not hesitate to dump the brats on me for a while. Just as I have no problem helping out. My parents was furious, but she loves em all the same, and will not hesitate to shell out the extra $32,000 to put her through school. She won't watch the kids much, as she is tired from work, but enjoys their company immensly.

So this is not something to take lightly at all. Teen pregnancy not only effects the teen, not only effects the child, but it effects the whole family. Which is why I'm a little less sympathetic than the rest of you. However, I'mm not heartless, as I've seen the effects.

It happens when it happens... There's nothing wrong with it, just use a condom ¬_¬

Simple common sense...

This isn't an "it happens when it happens" kind of thing. You haven't felt what it's like to struggle with a kid at a young age. It's not something to take as lightly as that. When the baby comes, I can tell you, the first thing the mother says isn't "meh, it happens when it happens".

Sex isn't a game. It's not something to take so lightly. It has serious consequences, that must be considered. I'm NOT saying it's wrong, but it IS wrong to do it on a whim.

However, you got one thing straight...

If you ARE gonna do it, make sure you're safe.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2009
    Well, if it's 18 or 19 it doesn't really matter to me. But if they are under 18 it's just wrong and they should have protected themselves!

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2009
    You're everywhere!

Well, being old enough has it's bearings. I was thinking the same thing.

But it also has much to do with your current situation. Even as an adult, unless you can care for yourself, you ain't caring for a baby.

I was just putting the age thing on there for the sake of thread and not going into serious detail.

And yes, I'm everywhere. I own Other: Chat boards.

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
    As I said before, I think that the meaning of sex is drastically underestimated amongst teens, but the getting pregnant thing isnt what bothers me the most. sure i think they made a mistake and i'll leave them be, but when they decide to get an abortion that just pisses me off. because you maid a mistake you werent ready to live with you decide to kill your potential son or daughter. its just not fair!

sims796

Years
    That's a different disscusion. My friend was pretty much forced to do so. You must consider thinking of the situation of the teen herself.

Not that you're wrong for thinking that, but you must see it through thier eyes.

When I wen't with her, there were many protesters. However, they were all men. As men, we have no right (execpt for family & fathers themselves) to dare tell women what to do with their bodies. This is me, however.

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
    They should live with there mistake, thats just the way I see it. I do feel sympathy for them for what they will go threw, but I just dont believe in abortion

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    My mum had me when she was 17 and my dad was 19. My mum had help from her family. (My dad was always drunk). It wasn't a planned pregnancy. But my mum and dad stayed together.My mum is now highly paid. She has not really regretted having me. It did give her some difficulties with school. But she went and got a job and has been successful with her life. Not all teenage pregnancies are a bad thing. Sometimes and can work out for the better. It can depend on how motivated the mother is and whether the farther is interest.

My father was never interested. He never went to any of the scans or anything. He was normally drinking. Most of the money that my mum earned went on my dads drink.

But eventually that all got sorted and my dad grew up. A little bit and cut out going out with his friends. Which he now uses against me for ruining his life.

I don't find teenage pregnancy a bad thing as long as it hasn't happened as like a one-night stand. Sex should happen after a lengthy amount of time and not after just a few dates. It should be taken time over.

sims796

Years
    Ah, but regardless on how it may have turned out, it could have been so much better if she was able to help herself a bit better.

I'm not saying teenage pregnancies can't turn out good, but it's kinda similar to dropping out of school. Sure, you may get lucky with a good life, but we can't all count on getting lucky, know what I mean? None of us regrets my nieces & nephews. But they would have been better off if their parents were able to take better care.

Then again, we can't be too sure. We can't see how that alternative path would have been.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
    Here's a thought, people need to stop having Premarital sex.

In reality you don't need to have sex, when you have sex outside of marriage you're letting your instincts get the better of you.
    You don't need to eat junk food. You don't needto have a computer. You don't need to own expensive clothes. You don't need a mobile phone. You don't need most things in your life.

But that's completely irrelevant. The human race is advanced enough to not have to spend their life dedicated to making sure they get what they need to survive, like animals do. People act on what gives them pleasure and makes them happy, or will make them happy. Yeah, we don't need to have sex, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to.

Your comment was rather narrow minded. What about people that don't want to get married? Are they supposed to be eternal virgins? Not everybody has religious beliefs like that, so why should they not be able to have sex if it's what they wish to do?

Some people need to face reality. It's 2008, and sex is as much a part of modern youth culture as anything else. We're all educated at school from a relatively early age about the ins and outs, no pun intended, of sex, and all the risks involved. We all know about contraception, we all know about STDs and the risk of pregnancy involved in having unprotected sex. So people have enough knowledge about it to be able to decide whether or not they want to have sex, and can then act accordingly.

There's only one problem with that, though. People are stupid. You can give them all the information in the world, but you can't make them intelligent or sensible. So if they choose to be idiotic enough to risk the consequences of unprotected sex, more fool them.

I don't see anything wrong with teenage sex. Afterall, if there was a problem with it, the age of consent would be 20+, would it not? But it's 16 here, and a lot of other places, and I think 18 is the highest. Sex is just as much about the pleasure and passion of being with someone you're attracted to as it is about symbolising your love to a spouse. If it wasn't, sex wouldn't have been made so pleasurable.

I love this kind of topic coming up on PC, since the majority of people, who are usually under the age of 15, always respond in the same way. It's funny how sheltered a life a lot of members here have.

Back