• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

that guy [TCTI v 8]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukari

I feel like I should know what DPPt is.

I know I've seen it before.

Why can I remember what it means. x:

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023

I liked Platinum's slower paced gameplay and story

That, and you literally had to battle every trainer to fill out the Pokédex

There was a Breeder that had two baby Pokémon that took me ages to find (turns out he was hiding in the grass north of Solaceon town, I believe...)

Yukari

Oooooooh right. Not sure why I didn't realize that's what it meant sooner.

That said I haven't played Pearl in like... Years.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

I turned it on, recently; dunno if I'd play it, though.

It's rare that I play Pokemon games over anymore, largely because they aren't really designed for replay (especially post-gen 3). Though I have to re-beat Silver to reclaim my Pokemon from my Pokemon Stadium 2.

Yukari

The only Pokemon games that I replay are the Gen 1 games, out of nostalgia alone.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    If there was a fast-forward button, I'd replay DPPt.

Though that was the only generation I did not buy on release and the board here on PC left me traumatised for good.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years

Replayed Platinum last summer, it was great. Then Replayed X just before ORAS came out, was great too.

So this summer I tried to recreate the magic by replaying Soulsilver. The aesthetic is just as great as I remember, but... Gameplay and progression wise, it's so lacking. It's like they took every mechanical issue the original Johto games had and just left them in. The uneven level curve, the uninteresting underlevelled wild pokemon, the horrendous TM availability... I probably didn't notice these things back when it first came out because I played through the whole game with just Typhloison and Ampharos. I almost feel like changing my favourite remake games to FRLG (which I replayed on my phone (my older handheld consoles are unreliable) this spring).

So instead I went to play white on my computer. Plug in a controller, raise the in-game 3D engine resolution to awesome heights, and it's a blast. Three gyms in and it feels so much more properly polished than HGSS. :(

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

I have a not-so-soft spot for FRLG. As remakes they...mmm...

But I got stuck post-Johto E4 in HG, though I didn't have that problem in Silver as a kid or Shinygold much later, and in the latter I kept my Totodile a Totodile the whole way through. As a game, I've still little reason to have a problem with GS mechanically. It's my favorite generation for a reason- completely unrelated to nostalgia. A run mechanic would be nice, though.

But yeah, 's part of the reason I want another remake of RBG. Having spent so much time with FRLG thanks to hacking, I think it pales in comparison to the others, and they didn't take the opportunity to give Kanto style, life, or lore like they decided to do with the later remakes. Heck, I'd go as far as to say that the original games just had more flair in that they were simply the more interesting games since what it was fit its assets a lot better than FRLG's.

Speaking of remakes, ORAS. That game. I enjoy certain things about it but I haven't felt the urge to beat it because...well, XY kinda spoiled me. It was nice not having to carry around HM whores and just have a party of Pokemon I wanted. Then I encountered the sea. And Boulders. And skinny-ass trees. And I suppose this wouldn't be as big of a hit to me if XY hadn't just gotten rid of those walls. Really, GF, it's not a fun game mechanic. It's okay to let HMs go. Really. No one would blame you (well, some would, but fuck 'em this is important).

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years

Aside from the one cut tree in the beginning it's possible to beat Black/White without using any HMs. S'lovely.
    ORAS sure brought back a lot of unneeded inconveniences that we'd previously gotten rid of.

I excuse FRLG for some of that since Pokémon really didn't do the whole adding proper lore thing before DP. I do agree that hacks have made it feel very plain, however. And a modernized RGB remake for the 3DS would be lovely. It still is possible that they'll do it for the 20th anniversary, even though the recent announcement imply (but do not confirm!) a Pokémon Z and a timeline they showed at the championships seems to imply 2016 would introduce generation 7.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I kind of worry about the possibility of a Pokemon Z. Not for any objective reason, but more because...this Summer, I decided to finally finish Nuzlocking X.

...It didn't go well, possibly because my conditions are a bit harsh. I tried around 10 times, probably more, over the course of a couple days.

The Chateaux is truly a place of lost dreams.

-uh, but the only reason I mention this is because I've played through certain parts so many times that I don't know if I'll appreciate it. And I really do look forward to it since I was such a fan of XY.

But yeah, I'll keep hoping for that RBG remake. So much potential. But it wasn't really just the lore that kind of disappoints me about FRLG, it's how conservative it is. It pretty much only really tries to be a serviceable remake, but it doesn't add to the flavor of Kanto or its characters (HGSS shines in the former, and ORAS in the latter). And the music is basically the perfect example of what I meant about the original games fitting the assets better than FRLG. The Champion Battle theme is a fantastic example that explains this way better than I could hope to. This song was very clearly designed around chiptunes, and it's also one of the only songs in the game that had to be redesigned to deliver a similar impact.

Yukari

I'd probably cry tears of joy if we got a new RBG remake on the 3DS.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back